Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg
    There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.
    #201 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Wow what an incredible deal!! We definitely need to set up some kind of group buy for the 64x64 panels. I don't have a credit card so I wouldn't be able to buy directly from them, but would be happy to have a Pinsider ship one to me and I'll pay the shipping difference and a little extra for the effort. I'm currently trying SmartDMD and it's not working out at all. If I can't get the issues with that straightened out looks like I'll be going this route in the future.

For changing out your route games, this LED panel seems like it might be the most cost effective if the boards/software aren't too pricey. I guess the power supply is another factor, but you may have been dealing with that for the LCDs anyway. At any rate, these panels should lead to zero required changes to speaker panels.

I'd jump on board a group buy, too, and would pay a little extra for the effort, if anyone already has a payment method setup in aliexpress and would want to manage it.

#202 8 years ago

Patience....

#203 8 years ago

The STM32 discovery board I use costs about 15$.
    The connector board should be around the same price
    if you sum up the price for the needed components.
    Our software will be open source and free for non-commercial
    DIY use. If somebody want´s to sell a plug and play package with
    our software, I´m open to offers Currently I haven´t planed to
    do this by myself.

#204 8 years ago

Keep up the good work gang. I'd be happy to help; but, it sounds like we've got the right chefs in the kitchen on this one. This looks like it might be the bulletproof solution to our ticking plasma time bombs.

#205 8 years ago

Sounds promising! So the software will be free unless you're selling it as a kit or something?

#206 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Sounds promising! So the software will be free unless you're selling it as a kit or something?

Software is free unless you try to make money in any kind with it.

#207 8 years ago

Using them in a route environment wouldn't be an issue if an additional fee was paid? I'm sure nobody would have any problems with that. The extra effort and time is well worth it to me.

#208 8 years ago

i hope someone does a plug and play, programmed for xyz game if possible. I don't know if i have the tools to do that part, don't really know what it would entail. watching patiently...

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

i hope someone does a plug and play, programmed for xyz game if possible.

The easiest to do would be Rocky and Bulwinkle. You can basically make a very nice color pallete based on pixel brightness (basically DMD Extender style) R & B is the VERY BEST looking game for this!

Skip to 3:45 of this vid to see it

#210 8 years ago

Is it changing palettes for Sherman? I thought Data East was 4 color, but it's been a while since I played R&B.

#211 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

i hope someone does a plug and play, programmed for xyz game if possible. I don't know if i have the tools to do that part, don't really know what it would entail. watching patiently...

I'm sure there will be a plug and play option for those less inclined toward hacking.

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Is it changing palettes for Sherman? I thought Data East was 4 color, but it's been a while since I played R&B.

It is 4 color. IIRC: white, tan, brown and black. That pallet is for the entire rom (not scene)

Every character is consistent throughout the rom. The 4 colors work with each character.

Most roms, have characters that varies (pixel brightness) per scene. R & B doesn't. Its consistent

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

It is 4 color. IIRC: white, tan, brown and black. That pallet is for the entire rom (not scene)

What about @ 5:16? Looks like they've got pink in there for Sherman's skin. It's emulation, so who knows what they could have hacked in for changing colors, but I'm curious. Doing 4 for the whole game is trivial, presumably DE used the Williams DMD timings, but I won't know 100% until I can get a Logic Analyzer to somebody with a game to test.

#214 8 years ago

Its my vid, utilizing pinmame - with colors set pet pixel percentage. The pinkish looking was probably my [EDIT] tan,
    I used no tricks, no hacks, but my camera - monitor viewing angle might've altered colors slightly.I dont have pinmame running on any of my current PCs, but anyone can verify using pinmame.

EDIT ~ The tan definitely appeared pinkish.

Colors must've been: White, Pinkish Tan, Brown, and Black

#215 8 years ago

Disclaimer: I have never owned (nor do I wish to) a R&B. I was just a person that discovered that games consistency within the pixel brightness settings (via PinMAME) and found a single color scheme that worked well.

I have a DMD Extender, and used it on a couple games (JM and HSII).
    I messed with most every pinmame (with a dmd) game. R&B is the only game that I could make that consistent nice characters within PinMAME (DMD Extender styled)

#216 8 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Its my vid, utilizing pinmame - with colors set pet pixel percentage. The pinkish looking was probably my [EDIT] tan,
    I used no tricks, no hacks, but my camera - monitor viewing angle might've altered colors slightly.I dont have pinmame running on any of my current PCs, but anyone can verify using pinmame.
    EDIT ~ The tan definitely appeared pinkish.
    Colors must've been: White, Pinkish Tan, Brown, and Black

Ah, that's easy then, I didn't realize it was your video.

#217 8 years ago

very cool project, will be following this closely, I have done quite a bit with arduino development for some clients so if you need someone to test or mess around with it I would be more than willing

#218 8 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

The STM32 discovery board I use costs about 15$.
    Our software will be open source and free for non-commercial
    DIY use. If somebody want´s to sell a plug and play package with
    our software, I´m open to offers Currently I haven´t planed to
    do this by myself.

Major thumbs up for doing this! Slap on a license and post it to GitHub!

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

Major thumbs up for doing this! Slap on a license and post it to GitHub!

Done ! https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

#220 8 years ago

http://m.aliexpress.com/store/storeHome.htm?storeNo=124897&tracelog=store2mobilestore

Looks like there's some boards that adapt standard VGA video to these displays... That's pretty neat if so.

#221 8 years ago

since this is just serial data could you send it out to multiple displays? Imagine having a 2.5mm LED dmd in the normal position and then a larger LED RGB matrix display on the top of the machine on locations/tournaments, that would be super cool IMHO!

#222 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

http://m.aliexpress.com/store/storeHome.htm?storeNo=124897&tracelog=store2mobilestore
    Looks like there's some boards that adapt standard VGA video to these displays... That's pretty neat if so.

You really don't want to mess with that display code, do you?

Quoted from flecom:

since this is just serial data could you send it out to multiple displays? Imagine having a 2.5mm LED dmd in the normal position and then a larger LED RGB matrix display on the top of the machine on locations/tournaments, that would be super cool IMHO!

Yeah, but I'm not sure how far you could run one of those ribbon cables before you'd want to switch to something with some shielding.

#223 8 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Yeah, but I'm not sure how far you could run one of those ribbon cables before you'd want to switch to something with some shielding.

hehe I am down to find out

how many data lines is it? you could maybe run it over a pair of shielded CAT5 cables or something

#224 8 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

hehe I am down to find out
    how many data lines is it? you could maybe run it over a pair of shielded CAT5 cables or something

13 data lines plus ground for the RGB panels.

#225 8 years ago

Here is a part list for the connector board. Layout can be found on here
    https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/pcb

STM32F4 discovery board
    China shop
    ebay.com link: Stm32f4discovery Stm32f407 Cortex m4 Development Board st link V2

50 Pin Header (2x25 female, 2.54mm pitch):
    China Shop:
    ebay.com link: 2 54mm 100 Female pin header 50pin 2x25pin dual row pcb receptacle 4pcs
    ebay.com link: 10 pcs Pitch 2 54mm 2x25 Pin 50 Pin Female Double Row Straight Header Connector
    Thailand Shop:
    ebay.com link: 3 pcs PCB Socket 2x25 Pins Double Row 50 Pins Female Header 2 54mm

16 Pin IDC Header: (10pcs)
    China Shop:
    ebay.com link: 10pcs DC3 16P Straight JTAG Socket Connector For Flat Ribbon Cable 2 Row 16 Pin

US Shop:
    ebay.com link: Shrouded Header Connector AMP 16 Position Pin Straight Copper Tin 2 5mmX 8mm

14 Pin IDC Header:
    Thailand Shop:
    ebay.com link: 3 Pcs 2x7 14 Pin Box Header Connector 2 54 mm IDC Male Sockets Straight

China Shop:
    ebay.com link: 10pcs 2 54mm IDC Box header DC3 DC3 14P 2 7 14 pins Pitch

US Shop:
    ebay.com link: 4pk 2 x 7 Header Pins Straight 24653

10 Pin (or more) breakaway Header:
    China Shop:
    ebay.com link: 10pc black 40pin 2 54mm Single Row Breakaway Male Pin Header for Arduino uno R3

US Shop:
    ebay.com link: 5pcs 1x40 Male Breakaway Pin Header Color Red Green White Yellow Black

Jumper:
    China Shop:
    ebay.com link: 100pcs 2pin mini micro jumper for 2 54 mm Pin Header Black Standard PCB shunts
    ebay.com link: 10pcs gold plated 2 pin jumper 2 54mmHard Drive IDE CD0 1 ShuntsComputer black

US Shop:
    ebay.com link: 25 2 Pin Jumpers 2 54mm 1 CD pc Scsi Ide HD net
    ebay.com link: 10pcs 2 54mm 0 1 Jumper Shunts 2 pin 2 position USA Seller Free Shipping

SPI Micro SD-Card (Pin2DMD pinout match):
    China Shop:
    ebay.com link: Micro SD Card Module 6 Pin SPI Interface for Arduino
    ebay.com link: Arduino Micro SD Card Module TF Card Reader SPI Interface Level Converter Chip D
    ebay.com link: Micro SD Card Module 6Pin SPI Interface for Arduino UNO R3 MEGA 2560 DUE

US Shop:
    ebay.com link: Micro SD Storage Board Card Reader Memory Shield Module SPI for Arduino
    ebay.com link: 1 PC MICRO SD STORAGE CARD MEMORY SHIELD MODULE SPI INTERFACE FOR ARDUINO

Ribbon Cable with connector (16pin):
    US Shop:
    ebay.com link: HQ 2x8 16 Pin 2 0mm IDC JTAG ISP Cable Multiple Color Ribbon Wire

Ribbon Cable with connector (14pin):
    US Shop:
    ebay.com link: 2x7 14 pin IDC Ribbon Cable 2 54mm pitch 15cm USA Seller Free Shipping

#226 8 years ago

So I hooked up my panels to a Teensy 3.2 with a Smartmatrix shield and tried a couple of F-14 "Second Sortie" type things using the extensions to MPF that Brian put together. These panels are seriously bright, in the photo and video they are dialled down to 50%. Pleased with what I'm seeing. When looking at the photo and video bear in mind I'm no photographer; the panels look *much* better in person. And the photo would have looked better without a cable running across the middle

DSCN5568.JPGDSCN5568.JPG

#227 8 years ago

That looks pretty sharp..

#228 8 years ago

that looks awesome. what i especially like is the fact that there is no "block type effect" that you see on current single color led panels.

#230 8 years ago

The logic analyzers I ordered finally arrived on the slow boat from "USA Seller". Anyone who has access to a number of DMD machines, especially anything oddball, and a Mac or Windows laptop who wants to help out let me know. You'd get the logic analyzer in the mail, install a piece of software, plug the dmd cable into the connector, record the signals and email them to me. Then drop the logic analyzer into the mail for the next person.

Added the code last night to detect the weird case that probably only happens on the P-ROC when the DMD timings change when it switches from the startup splash to the game display. Hopefully that will also allow me to respond to brightness changes from the pin menus rather than having to add extra configuration to the panel as well.

The software is getting to be in pretty decent shape, so if you have already ordered panels and are interested in testing my version, PM me about getting a carrier board from my next OSHPark order. We're still talking beta testing, so not for those who don't want to deal with potential problems.

#231 8 years ago

I didn't read through this entire thread, but is the objective to basically make a lower cost full DMD panel replacement that could go into say.. Data East or Williams WPC, etc games even? And if so, awesome!! and what's the current rough cost?

#232 8 years ago

My guess so far would be $40 for the panels, $20 for a Discovery board, $10 for a 5v power supply, maybe $10 or $15 for a commercial use or kit license, and probably $70 or $80 for the DMD signal converter board. So whatever the cost is it should be very close to the current price for plasma DMDs.

#233 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

My guess so far would be $40 for the panels, $20 for a Discovery board, $10 for a 5v power supply, maybe $10 or $15 for a commercial use or kit license, and probably $70 or $80 for the DMD signal converter board.

I couldn't find the panels for less than $60 shipped now. FYI.

Quoted from ecurtz:

You really don't want to mess with that display code, do you?

Guilty as charged. I did all this work to do rewrite the layer stack to do all the image processing/compositing on the GPU itself in VRAM, and now for this I have to pull the completed textures back out of the video card so I can send them over the usb/serial interface! That said, we are talking about tiny 128x32 frames, so I /can/ do that, but it still feels gross.

That's just the quick fix, though. Moving forward I'll do this in a smarter way if a color led dmd is present.

#234 8 years ago

Oh, They went up in price quite a bit.

#235 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Guilty as charged. I did all this work to do rewrite the layer stack to do all the image processing/compositing on the GPU itself in VRAM, and now for this I have to pull the completed textures back out of the video card so I can send them over the usb/serial interface!

Just think of it as fancy GPU assisted computation!

Quoted from Crash:

Oh, They went up in price quite a bit.

The panel prices are super variable. I assume somebody will start importing them in bulk and the price will stabilize at something in the range we're seeing, but I'd still guess maybe $75 for two in hand. I also think you'd want to spend more than that on a power supply. On the upside, there's no commercial use fee, at least for my software, and the boards will be less than that. You'll also want a mounting plate of some sort, the laser cut one's I ordered from Ponoko were $38 for 3. That's all assuming you want to go the DIY route, I know there are vendors looking into these as well.

#236 8 years ago

I was looking at some 5V 5A power bricks and saw a few in the $10-$15 range. It will be interesting to see what we ultimately need in terms of power for the panels and the computer board.

#237 8 years ago

According to the spec of the panels and if my math is holding up, if they are driven full white at full brightness (ie, never really in a pinball setup) a 128x32 would pull just over 7A at 5v. You'd likely want to dial down the brightness anyway, at 100% they're too bright for a pinball machine (IMHO). The spec says average consumption of around 3A at 5v. The Teensy power draw is negligible in the scheme of things.

#238 8 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

According to the spec of the panels and if my math is holding up, if they are driven full white at full brightness (ie, never really in a pinball setup) a 128x32 would pull just over 7A at 5v. You'd likely want to dial down the brightness anyway, at 100% they're too bright for a pinball machine (IMHO). The spec says average consumption of around 3A at 5v. The Teensy power draw is negligible in the scheme of things.

That's the truth about the brightness. Brian had one sitting on display at expo in the far corner of the hall and it was blinding even from half way across the room!

#239 8 years ago

I'm remembering some tricks for doing SMT with my setup, and only had to fix one solder bridge this time.

However I'm also getting senile and installed a chip backwards on the third board.

P1000602.jpgP1000602.jpg

#240 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Brian had one sitting on display at expo in the far corner of the hall and it was blinding even from half way across the room!

Yeah I viewed Expo like the way TVs have a "showroom" picture setting. I figured "blinding" was the way to draw people in! (And it worked!)

Our experience is that even brightness settings from 50%-100% are barely noticeably different. Gabe had his set to 18% brightness for it to appear to be normal.

What's great about this is that lowering the brightness lowers the power requirements. At 100% brightness I had a 5vdc 10A power supply that couldn't handle it. (When I put up a bright slide it would cut out and I had to power cycle the display to get it back.) I ended up using a 60A(!) power supply for Expo, but I'm assuming all LEDs on full white full brightness will be around 15A. But if you dial down the brightness, you should be fine with a 10A supply (or less).

#241 8 years ago

If you turn on the color correction that reduces the brightness for most colors as well as being more "accurate", but it's probably better to do those calculations on the PC (although I haven't actually checked the overhead of color correcting the streaming data, it might be fine on the Teensy).

#242 8 years ago

Did anyone happen to take any pics at the expo with it installed in machine?

#243 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianMadden:

I ended up using a 60A(!) power supply for Expo

You know you love that power supply.

#244 8 years ago

The nice folks in China sent me 2 sets of panels instead of 1, so I tried running them as a 128x64 matrix. Needed to reduce the amount of frames buffered in the Teensy as it ran out of memory, but it seems to run just fine. As usual the crappy picture and video below contain artefacts and "scan lines" that are not actually present when watching directly, so don't take these as how the end product actually looks. I dialled the brightness down to 25% for this.

DSCN5573.JPGDSCN5573.JPG

At this size though it's too big to mount in a regular DMD panel cutout, so it's only an option for custom setups.

#245 8 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

At this size though it's too big to mount in a regular DMD panel cutout, so it's only an option for custom setups.

Just switch to the 5mm panels and you can have a combination DMD, backbox, and tanning bed all in one.

#246 8 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Just switch to the 5mm panels and you can have a combination DMD, backbox, and tanning bed all in one.

You owe me a new keyboard, I just spat coffee over this one

#247 8 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Every character is consistent throughout the rom. The 4 colors work with each character.
    Most roms, have characters that varies (pixel brightness) per scene. R & B doesn't. Its consistent

so does that mean you can only have 4 colors or is there a way to get more? forgive my newbie question.

#248 8 years ago

someone needs to figure out how to do this for sega large displays.

#249 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

so does that mean you can only have 4 colors or is there a way to get more? forgive my newbie question.

Yes, only 4 colors, unless PinballBrowser was extended, or somebody made similar software to support DE ROMS, and somebody did colorization for it.

#250 8 years ago

4 colors per FRAME is already implemented on my STM32. You can switch palettes during gameplay which means more colors.

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.