Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.
    #951 7 years ago

What do you mean by more stable? Were there screen tearing issues or other artifacts before?

#952 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

What do you mean by more stable? Were there screen tearing issues or other artifacts before?

Im not sure yet, because of boards were USB defective by design mistake. So do not know if improvement by buffers was real or USB mistake damaged some IO port, I will know along this week with new board.

#953 7 years ago

I would like to try this with my MB, since its DMD has problems and it has got to be replaced in any case. But has anybody done the coloring work MB, which I could use with the new led-displays? Please PM if somebody has those files.

#954 7 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

» YouTube video
    contact unclesash on vpuniverse.com about the rest

i want this for Ghostbusters !

2 weeks later
    #955 7 years ago

Just received my PIN2DMD kit this week. Booted it up, now waiting for my key to continue . Could someone tell me how to get started from here? It's going to be mounted in my Getaway, could someone steer me in the right direction of getting it colorized? I understand Steve45 from vpuniverse has the same setup, regretfully the files are not (yet) for download

#956 7 years ago

i could also need a file for a GnR as i can`t get the editor tool working.....

#957 7 years ago
    Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

i could also need a file for a GnR as i can`t get the editor tool working.....

I have tried it on a GnR but Data east only has 4 grayshades eg you can only select 4 colors which remain fixed during the whole game and than it is not easy. As I already had a colordmd in my GnR I didn't spent more than 15 minutes in this. I think perhaps shades of red are perhaps best choice

If you wanna get pin2dmd editor working choose the 32bit version and don't forget to install the license key !!

Apparently pin2dmd editor has the possibility to colorize frames like colordmd but that's a time consuming task. Not for me

#958 7 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Just received my PIN2DMD kit this week. Booted it up, now waiting for my key to continue . Could someone tell me how to get started from here? It's going to be mounted in my Getaway, could someone steer me in the right direction of getting it colorized? I understand Steve45 from vpuniverse has the same setup, regretfully the files are not (yet) for download

Simple. Put the key on SD card. Make a fixed color palette to your liking with pin2dmd editor, export this as palettes.dat file on the SD card and ready to go

However, fully colorizing each animation in place of 1 fixed color palette is a different cookie .....

With the pin2dmd.exe program you can control for instance brightness

All to be read in Spinner 2 or more likely 3

#959 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Simple. Put the key on SD card. Make a fixed color palette to your liking with pin2dmd editor, export this as palettes.dat file on the SD card and ready to go
    However, fully colorizing each animation in place of 1 fixed color palette is a different cookie .....

Cool. Maybe you need help or input for that article?

#960 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Hm, I seem to be stuck again. The pin2dmd.exe program starts, but won't let me do anything useful. I am trying to run the program standalone, not connected to the board. I can select proper mode, but cannot save palette or config file. I can click the buttons, just nothing happens.

pin2dmd_(resized).jpgpin2dmd_(resized).jpg

Using pin2dmd-editor (the Java thing) I was able to create a pin2dmd.dat file, so the display now works (starts up in WILLIAMS mode, and can display real DMD data) but I would still like to modify the palette.

IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpgIMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg

I must say the learning curve is pretty steep. There seems to be no "getting started guide" for this, everything has to be found out Googling, and information is scattered between this forum, flipperforum.de and vpuniverse.com.

#961 7 years ago

have you seen the authors editor documentation?
    http://pin2dmd.com/editor/

#962 7 years ago
    Quoted from c_mario:

have you seen the authors editor documentation?
    http://pin2dmd.com/editor/

Yup, but it mostly dives into the colorization of frames/animations, but for now I would be happy if I can create my own palette. Using the editor I think I can only create few default config files (pin2dmd.dat), the one using VGA colors (shown on photo) or some basic colors.

I tried modifying the default palette as Rensh mentioned, but when I try to save it, it does not offer palette.dat format (just XML or JSON), whereas the pin2dmd.exe tool can only read .dmc files. And so far I have not been able to make the dmd2pin.exe tool save any file to my SD.

#963 7 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Hm, I seem to be stuck again. The pin2dmd.exe program starts, but won't let me do anything useful. I am trying to run the program standalone, not connected to the board. I can select proper mode, but cannot save palette or config file. I can click the buttons, just nothing happens.

I told you that you need to be connected to the controller (microUSB) when you use pin2dmd.exe. There is nothing to do with this tool offline.

#964 7 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

I tried modifying the default palette as Rensh mentioned, but when I try to save it, it does not offer palette.dat format (just XML or JSON), whereas the pin2dmd.exe tool can only read .dmc files. And so far I have not been able to make the dmd2pin.exe tool save any file to my SD.

You need to use "export" to save your palette as palettes.dat. That is written under 2.1.3 of the editor tutorial.

#965 7 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

You need to use "export" to save your palette as palettes.dat. That is written under 2.1.3 of the editor tutorial.

Yup. Export is required and tool pon2dmd.exe needs to be connected to PCB

I will sent you my article when the draft is finished and you can input. Thanks for the offer. Pls do note however the article is not meant as a manual but to let people become aware that things like pin2dmd exist and what it can do for them and how it looks like

Pls don't forget to register the pin2dmd editor with same key as licky1 sent you

#966 7 years ago

I am sorry, at first I thought pin2dmd.exe could be used both online and to program SD card. Now I know the main purpose of that program, I think I need to stick with the -editor.

The reason I am avoiding working "on-line" is that my laptop only has USB 3.0 ports. I was hoping it could all be done using SD cards.

Quoted from lucky1:

Yes, I found that. When I save it to SD (next to pin2dmd.dat) and reset the board, it seems to ignore it. When I remove pin2dmd.dat and reboot, (I think) it reads palettes.dat, but then it's in VIRTUAL PINBALL mode (so it wont display any data sent from pinball machine).

Btw I appreciate all help that is given, and I have all intentions to create a getting started document that captures everything I had to learn so far .

#967 7 years ago

That's strange. I have pin2dmd.dat and palettes.dat on same sd card

I did notice however twice I had to set it to a mode I didn't want (like wpc) and than set it to stern befor it accepted stern

Pin2dmd.dat is required I think to determine which mode (stern, virtual, etc) and I think it also contains simple palettes data you can set in pin2dmd.exe. However when it finds a palettes.dat file the palette in there overrules the 'simple' palet. However, this is my thinking and not 100% certainty. That's for lucky1 to give

Smartdmd incolor works with palettes.dat, see my

#968 7 years ago

Cool, now it seems to work here as well . I read somewhere it takes colors 0, 1, 5 and 15 from the palette, but that does not seem to be the case, it takes 0, 1, 7 and 15 (at least, in WILLIAMS mode).

I found that on my netbook, I can configure the USB port to operate according to USB 2.0. So, I can now do both: Create dmd2pin.dat and palettes.dat using the -editor, and communicate directly to the board using dmd2pin.exe.

Kudo's go to Lucky1 and Steve45 for their effort and patience with the community!

I created a guide that documents all steps I went through, I posted it to http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2555-getting-started-replacing-a-dmd-with-pin2dmd-using-sd-card/ (since that seems to be the most comprehensive source on pin2dmd.

#969 7 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Cool, now it seems to work here as well . I read somewhere it takes colors 0, 1, 5 and 15 from the palette, but that does not seem to be the case, it takes 0, 1, 7 and 15 (at least, in WILLIAMS mode).

I think you don´t run the latest 2.10 version of pin2dmd firmware. There was a bug with the color mappings. Should be 0,1,4,15 in the latest version of editor and firmware.

#970 7 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

I think you don´t run the latest 2.10 version of pin2dmd firmware. There was a bug with the color mappings. Should be 0,1,4,15 in the latest version of editor and firmware.

It came preloaded (from Rappelbox) with 2.09 I believe. Will look into updating that.

#971 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

That's strange. I have pin2dmd.dat and palettes.dat on same sd card
    I did notice however twice I had to set it to a mode I didn't want (like wpc) and than set it to stern befor it accepted stern
    Pin2dmd.dat is required I think to determine which mode (stern, virtual, etc) and I think it also contains simple palettes data you can set in pin2dmd.exe. However when it finds a palettes.dat file the palette in there overrules the 'simple' palet. However, this is my thinking and not 100% certainty. That's for lucky1 to give
    Smartdmd incolor works with palettes.dat, see my » YouTube video

Interesting phenomenon in the thumbnail. Looks like either the camera captured the white background independent of the red text or the RGB panel is experiencing some screen tearing with the text plane, but not the background plane... is the text flashing between red and black? That might explain it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#972 7 years ago

Hmm didn't notice that while playing. To busy keeping the ball in play I guess

What I can syate is that the upper led display looks in real life MUCH better as captured on film. On film now the LCD looks much better as led while in real life this wasn't.

1 week later
    #973 7 years ago

NW Pinball Show is coming up FAST! I will start building tonight and finish Friday when the rest of the parts arrive. So fun.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#974 7 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

NW Pinball Show is coming up FAST! I will start building tonight and finish Friday when the rest of the parts arrive. So fun.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

What kind of kits are you going to have available? Fully plug and play, or screen only, or some combination of the two?

#975 7 years ago
    Quoted from redundor:

What kind of kits are you going to have available? Fully plug and play, or screen only, or some combination of the two?

It is a plug and play solution. I am so excited. I was up til 6am building the first few for design testing.

We will also be selling them without the RGB DMD panels for those who bought the panels from us already. Selling with or without the panels doesn't change the shipping costs but some folks were very eager to get started and we wanted to have the panels be interchangeable anyway because they may need replacement far before the controller board ever would.

We won't have them for pickup at the show, but expect to have them in some games and (assuming all the testing goes smoothly) in production ASAP. Sourcing is all established already. This has been such a rad project. I have waited literally years for all the stars to align to have it make sense do to this!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

PS: The few parts I was waiting for came in while writing this post. Sweet!

#976 7 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

It is a plug and play solution. I am so excited. I was up til 6am building the first few for design testing.
    We will also be selling them without the RGB DMD panels for those who bought the panels from us already. Selling with or without the panels doesn't change the shipping costs but some folks were very eager to get started and we wanted to have the panels be interchangeable anyway because they may need replacement far before the controller board ever would.
    We won't have them for pickup at the show, but expect to have them in some games and (assuming all the testing goes smoothly) in production ASAP. Sourcing is all established already. This has been such a rad project. I have waited literally years for all the stars to align to have it make sense do to this!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Interesting. Assuming this would, in one way or another, be compatible with the FAST board system?

#977 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting. Assuming this would, in one way or another, be compatible with the FAST board system?

As a display, it will work with different pinball hardware controllers (using the pc to control the display content), ours obviously included.

From there it gets interesting. I think what we have cooking is going to draw in more people interested in making and programming and enhancing pinball games.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#978 7 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

That sounds pretty awesome! I will definitely have to come check it out if I manage to make it down to the show. My x-men DMD has a line stuck on and I have been watching this thread to see what develops. Any word on pricing yet? Even a ball park number?

#979 7 years ago

What did I miss?Aaron what is that new board young r there? I see no other talk of it on the forum .....

#980 7 years ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

What did I miss?Aaron what is that new board young r there? I see no other talk of it on the forum .....

We weren't just sourcing RGB DMD panels to sell them raw.

Our board will be sold with and without the RGB Panels for those who bought panels from us in the past.

We haven't been talking about this because we are trying to break the habit of talking about things too much before they can be purchased.

Really excited. I have wanted to make this display for years. We have been watching the price and pixel size come down on the panels to the point where it made sense to do it. Time is now!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#981 7 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

We weren't just sourcing RGB DMD panels to sell them raw.
    Our board will be sold with and without the RGB Panels for those who bought panels from us in the past.
    We haven't been talking about this because we are trying to break the habit of talking about things too much before they can be purchased.
    Really excited. I have wanted to make this display for years. We have been watching the price and pixel size come down on the panels to the point where it made sense to do it. Time is now!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Sure glad to see the market adopting this concept! How does your product relate to PIN2DMD or the new ColorDMD LED product?

#982 7 years ago

It won't be a confusing scattered mess like pin2dmd

(awaits flame responses lol)

@FAST do you have rough pricing yet? Will it be running stock rgb.dmd firmware? or customised version for fastPinball?

2 months later
    #983 7 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

It won't be a confusing scattered mess like pin2dmd
    (awaits flame responses lol)
    @FAST do you have rough pricing yet? Will it be running stock rgb.dmd firmware? or customised version for fastPinball?

Oh wow, I missed this post ages ago! Our price goal all along has been to stay under $300. The RGB.DMD code is customized to do some things needed for some of the other features in the display.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

2 months later
    #984 7 years ago

I'm thinking about getting the fully assembled PinballSP DMDST32 kit from Louis. Question, this is going to be for a Data East game. I don't see any pictures of the kit used in a Data East system. I know it can be done and the PIN2DMD software is compatible with Data East. My main concern is how would I fit the DMD driver board on the back of this whole assembly and will there be enough room in the backbox for this? Plus, I only see 4 holes in the mounting plate, one in each corner, and none in the center on top or bottom to suggest how this driver board would be mounted.

https://images.pinside.com/e/0b/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26/resized/large/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26.jpg

Aaron is your full kit available to buy?

2 weeks later
    #985 7 years ago

Aaron did you ever get the full kit together? Also, has anyone tested this on an alvin g?

#986 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Aaron did you ever get the full kit together? Also, has anyone tested this on an alvin g?

Our FAST RGB DMD is back and running. I don't have access to an alvin g. Maybe someone in the Washington area would let us bring a display by for some testing/get some readings.

We had the display at Expo in the FAST Booth in Fish Tales, TOTAN and in the Brooks & Dunn. Super fun. Dialing in the software portion and also the power integration. Tapping into the 12v supply is easier and more reliable in some games than others. So we want to make sure we provide options for the best results before a broad release. It looks like the $299 price point is going to work too, which was a big goal. There are some other rad features about it that we will layout in detail soon too.

I have been dragging a bit. Been pretty sick since we got back from Expo and finally on the mend. I have shipments, website updates and correspondence to catch up on!

Here are a few pics I had handy of the display.

FAST RGB DMD FrontFAST RGB DMD Front
    FAST RGB DMD BackFAST RGB DMD Back
    FAST RGB DMD in Brooks & DunnFAST RGB DMD in Brooks & Dunn

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#987 7 years ago

Nice, wanting to buy one for my capcoms. If it worked in alvin g's great, but no loss if it didn't.

#988 7 years ago

Looks great!

#989 7 years ago

PIN2DMD has been successfully tested on Capcom Airborne and Pinball Magic as well as on AlvinG PistolPoker

#990 7 years ago

Hope you're feeling better Aaron. There is no hurry on my order, being sick sucks.

1 year later
    #991 6 years ago

Does anybody happen to have one of Eli's small Teensy shields available? I would like to try a couple things out, and I don't need the full Pin2DMD experience.. Thanks

3 months later
    #992 5 years ago

Sorry nobody ever responded to this - you have to ping me by direct message or email if you want to get a hold of me these days. The Eagle files for the board are up on GitHub with the code and you can get the PCBs made from those at OSHPark or similar places.

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.