New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 140896)

RGB LED panels for DMD replacement

By ecurtz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 98 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.
    #751 4 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm almost hesitant to post anything in fear that I would be making it look bad.

winteriscoming, agodfrey, and other testers who haven'y been in this thread have all been very helpful in ironing out bugs and patient with me cursing the programmers of their various machines. So far we haven't found anything that seems like it won't eventually be fixed, but keep in mind this is still a work in progress and there will be some adventures along the way.

#752 4 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

winteriscoming, agodfrey, and other testers who haven'y been in this thread have all been very helpful in ironing out bugs and patient with me cursing the programmers of their various machines. So far we haven't found anything that seems like it won't eventually be fixed, but keep in mind this is still a work in progress and there will be some adventures along the way.

I was referring to posting images/videos, not software bugs!

I don't think my phone captures a flattering representation of the RGB LED panels in use.

#753 4 years ago

The other thing that's probably worth pointing out, from the perspective of a consumer, is that as far as a product goes, I don't think anyone is profiting much if at all on selling this hardware and developing software.

Lucky1's work on PIN2DMD is all done for free as far as I can tell (monetary donations go to charity), and hardware that is compatible with his software is available from a few people who are doing the work to put the boards together and are probably breaking even on costs. No money goes to Lucky1.

Ecurtz assembles the RGB.DMD boards (or offers DIY kits if you want to assemble yourself) on his end that are compatible with his software, which as far as I'm seeing is freely available. At the price he's selling these for, I can't imagine there's much profit.

At the end of the day they're both hobbyists making something cool for others to use.

It would be very easy to approach these projects with the wrong attitude and feel entitled to instant product support and demand this and that. At the end of the day, both parties are putting a lot of time in, free of charge, to get these things to where the community will benefit.

I, for one, want to thank both ecurtz and Lucky1 for seeing the potential with these RGB LED panels and devoting the time and resources to getting these projects into the hands of others.

#754 4 years ago

Ecurtz assembles the RGB.DMD boards (or offers DIY kits if you want to assemble yourself) on his end that are compatible with his software, which as far as I'm seeing is freely available. At the price he's selling these for, I can't imagine there's much profit.

I'm losing money on every board*, but I hope to make it up in quantity.

*Not quite true, but I certainly don't want to know what I'm valuing my time at if you figure in development.

#755 4 years ago

So, can someone summarize the differences between Eli's setup and lucky1's setup? Pretty please?

My interest lies in using the 2.5mm LED panel as a DMD replacement so I can select any monochrome color I want AND to potentially colorize games where ColorDMD isn't available -or- ColorDMD's LCD solution is bad because of fitment (which is the case even on some games where it "fits" because it can block add-on backbox light boards).

--Donnie

#756 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

So, can someone summarize the differences between Eli's setup and lucky1's setup? Pretty please?
    My interest lies in using the 2.5mm LED panel as a DMD replacement so I can select any monochrome color I want AND to potentially colorize games where ColorDMD isn't available -or- ColorDMD's LCD solution is bad because of fitment (which is the case even on some games where it "fits" because it can block add-on backbox light boards).
    --Donnie

As of this moment, I've had the pleasure of trying out both boards, at least from a testing perspective. I haven't installed either permanently in a machine yet and haven't done any long play testing.

Short answer: At the moment the freely available feature sets are nearly identical, as far as I can tell, at least with regards to installing as a DMD replacement.

I don't want to speak for anyone, but this is my understanding from what I've read from both. If I am misrepresenting either ecurtz or Lucky1, please let me know and I will edit accordingly.

Eli (ecurtz) makes RGB.DMD. This board currently has functionality where you can choose a palette to apply to an entire game. It does not currently support any colorization beyond that, however integration with SmartDMD is planned (not sure if implemented currently?). With SmartDMD you can, for all intents and purposes, colorize Stern SAM games frame by frame. Additional colorization options may eventually be supported by RGB.DMD, but I believe Eli does NOT intend to develop support for native frame by frame colorization that involves redrawing graphics. I'm not clear on whether or not he intends to maybe allow for palette swapping by identifying key frames. I think for Eli a lot of hesitation for adding more complex colorization comes from him being a US citizen where he could be more easily held accountable for perceived patent violations or infringing on the intellectual property of others. As it is a hobby project for him, I bet he wants to avoid even the hint of a threat of legal action against him. It just wouldn't be worth it.

Lucky1 is one of the creative leads for Pin2DMD. This board freely supports the same type of functionality where a palette can be applied to an entire game. Additional colorization options are pending, but due to him wanting to keep the project community focused and avoid commercialization, additional features are likely to be available only to registered users who have donated (to a charity of his choosing). It is not clear to me at the moment how registration is being handled, but I don't think it will be that big of a deal and in my opinion doesn't seem like it should be an impediment to purchasing this solution. I don't know if the feature is implemented yet, but I believe SmartDMD integration is at least pending. From what I understand based on comments I've seen posted here and on VPUniverse, Lucky1 has less to fear from US-based patent/IP holders being that he is a European citizen and his project is not commercial.

Both are still in development with bugs to be ironed out. I would not consider either to be finished at this point.

Due to the way that both require software installation in order to configure them, I don't personally consider either a "turn-key" option that some might be expecting.

If you wanted to buy something that potentially works without messing with software and configurations, RGB.DMD does work out of the box (for most DMD systems) with a default palette (currently black and white) and brightness configuration, though Eli is still actively developing, so if you got it now and never updated, you'd be locked in to whatever is available at the time he sends it to you.

Pin2DMD did NOT work for me directly out of the box. Software had to be run and data saved down to the onboard micro SD card to set it up to work for a given system. I'm not saying this as a ding against the product. I just want to clarify what you can expect. I had no expectations that I should be able to plug in and have it work without some effort on my part.

Ultimately you, at least currently, need to install software and configure both.

I cannot say which would be the better choice. I haven't had much experience with either one yet, and since they're both still in development, I don't think there's a clear winner. They may eventually diverge enough to where each fills a specific demand. I think RGB.DMD is closest to achieving a turn-key solution (though I can't speak for Eli as to whether or not that's something he wants to pursue), and I don't believe Pin2DMD is designed with turn-key features in mind (also just a guess).

Edit: A final point I want to make is that if you're interested in this type of product, buy both options. The cost of the boards is comparable and low when compared to anything else you'd buy for a pinball machine. They take the same power source, and use the same RGB LED panels, so they're pretty interchangeable. Buy both, test, and give feedback. I personally want to help ensure compatibility with both products for all the DMD games I own.

#757 4 years ago

Here's some pics and videos from Pin2DMD using Lucky1's software:
    T3
    T3 Video:

JP
    JP Video

FT
    FT Video

#758 4 years ago

Edit: A final point I want to make is that if you're interested in this type of product, buy both options. The cost of the boards is comparable and low when compared to anything else you'd buy for a pinball machine. They take the same power source, and use the same RGB LED panels, so they're pretty interchangeable. Buy both, test, and give feedback. I personally want to help ensure compatibility with both products for all the DMD games I own.

Thanks. I have an UncleSash board, and I have an RGB.DMD on the way. Good advice.

Me personally, I'm a little unhappy with lucky1's license choices. Will probably sell the pin2DMD board and stick with RGB.DMD for that reason.

--Donnie

#759 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

Thanks. I have an UncleSash board, and I have an RGB.DMD on the way. Good advice.
    Me personally, I'm a little unhappy with lucky1's license choices. Will probably sell the pin2DMD board and stick with RGB.DMD for that reason.
    --Donnie

That was one of the factors for me, I placed an order for RGB.DMD yesterday can't wait.

#760 4 years ago

I cant see where the colorDMD patent even mentions a LED dot matrix display like being used here. It says LCD.

It also mentions decoding the frames using the existing dmd port.

But surley this port is just gpio? Can the roms be modified to stream raw frame data instead? (clock, data) So just a raw stream of frame data? This way your not decoding your just reading the frame data direct.

More effort as need to swap roms and not sure if that would work on all systems as some have external dmd driver boards etc...

Just some ideas

#761 4 years ago

@russdx ... it's baseless sabre rattling to try to retain a monopoly. Lucky and the others behind the software have nothing to worry about.

#762 4 years ago

Yes but every one is worried as dr pinball and his lcd colour got shut down, Eli wont colour (frame by frame) any thing, lucky1 has now swapped to this licenced version of pin2dmd, smartDMD pretty much died commercially? pretty much ANY project that colours a DMD frame has been shut down by this patent?

The patent mentions DETECTING frames and decoding them and using a LCD. So if you get the data directly from a rom (im sure this can be done?) and use a LED display there is no way your are infringing this patent??

I dont really care, but seems a bit of a shame so many projects have been shut down because of this patent!
    Soon we wont see any advancement in this area (unless colorDMD does it) which is a bit of a shame.

#763 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

smartDMD pretty much died commercially?

This is wrong. What makes you think this ?

Quoted from russdx:

pretty much ANY project that colours a DMD frame has been shut down by this patent?

SmartDmd is using a "side-channel" to send color informations (that are stored into the rom with Pinball Browser). This is not covered by any patent and noone tried to stop SmartDmd from doing this.

#764 4 years ago

I think smartdmd didn't gain as much popularity as hoped for as people just find it to big a hassle to colorize a game. Also only Sam stern can be colored per frame

In the beginning there was the hope that for instance 30 people each did a game which would be a good base to start from but only a few people did it who were willing to share

Colordmd provides a turnkey solution and most people want that apparently.

Pitty as Smartdmd works great and costs less than half the price of color dmd

Afraid this initiative will go the same route or people should just see it as a replacement for a standard dmd with 1 fixed color. Smartdmd can do this to but is more expensive. However, you can than select upscaling

#765 4 years ago

Ah so it does use modified roms. Can this method be used in other roms other then stern? Does this method then by pass the colorDMD patent?

#766 4 years ago

Their system analyzes monochromatic frames and injects chroma information into the stream and displays it as a full-color bitmap, preserving the original luma component of the image. This update skips the chroma processing altogether and injects full color frames in real time.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20120190440.PGNR.

#767 4 years ago

For those of you using the SmartMatrix shield on the Teensy, like in a custom pinball machine, I've made a small mounting bracket for the Teensy/SmartMatrix unit.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1360902

smartmatrix_mount_(resized).jpg

#768 4 years ago

I'm going to try and stay out of the patent argument, but I did read it and would agree with oga83 that (in my non-lawyer opinion) his side-channel color data does not infringe.

Hooked the plasma display back up and tried to get a good default matching palette. This looked very close to the naked eye, but clearly needs a little more adjusting.
    P1000623_(resized).jpg

#769 4 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

I'm going to try and stay out of the patent argument, but I did read it and would agree with oga83 that (in my non-lawyer opinion) his side-channel color data does not infringe.
    Hooked the plasma display back up and tried to get a good default matching palette. This looked very close to the naked eye, but clearly needs a little more adjusting.
    P1000623_(resized).jpg

Looks real good. Would be curious to see what values you end up with..!

#770 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Looks real good. Would be curious to see what values you end up with..!

It's pretty clunky, but here's a Google sheets document where people can share color palettes:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NhEcptFEQpfn_NMO9PVFLbWIuYJ64w5DLGVbWvxG0d0

If you enter hex colors in the format "#RRGGBB" it has an add-in to change the background color to match (although they obviously aren't very accurate to the LED display).

#771 4 years ago

For Sale: I also put these on VPUniverse. $70 shipped for 2 Lucky1 v1.2 setups, complete with stm32 boards. This is our actual cost, no profit. We just decided to go a different way and implement Eli's boards in our machines. For my convenience I won't split them up, just want to send off one box and be done.

Dan

#772 4 years ago
    Quoted from Curbfeeler:

For Sale: I also put these on VPUniverse. $70 shipped for 2 Lucky1 setups, complete with stm32 boards. This is our actual cost, no profit. We just decided to go a different way and implement Eli's boards in our machines. For convenience I won't split them up, just want to send off one box and be done.
    Dan

Which board revision?

#773 4 years ago

1.2, mailed 11-28 from sasha

Went through sasha's posts. The only difference between this and current 1.4 are as follows.

changelog from 1.2 to 1.3:
    *Addition of extra hub75 to allow clone of display as topper.

changelog from 1.3 to 1.4:

* EXT Power Screw Terminal AND
    * EXT Power Pin Header
    * Screw holes with 65mm distance (same distance as the screw holes in the DMD)
    * PCB size is a little bit bigger.

I'll ship 'em quick, no waiting.

Dan

#774 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Their system analyzes monochromatic frames and injects chroma information into the stream and displays it as a full-color bitmap, preserving the original luma component of the image. This update skips the chroma processing altogether and injects full color frames in real time.

The patent is pretty clear that it covers "software which receives graphic data through the video output port and identifies which frame is currently being streamed. The display device matches the frame being streamed to a stored graphic frame having a higher resolution and/or color." How they do that exactly without distributing copyright artwork is a little bit nebulous, but it's been going on long enough that apparently the copyright holders are fine with it.

So the question then becomes how can one colorize a game without infringing on that? Stern SAM games have been done by simply colorizing in the ROM itself thanks to Pinball Browser and then hardware can listen directly for the colorized data and just display it. So the question then becomes is there a way to do that on older hardware? Seems like there could be ways. I'm not sure if removing all the actual video from the ROMs and replacing each frame with a number might count or not. Is that number still "graphic data"? I could see an argument that it is and that it isn't. Or is there a better way? I don't *think* the older hardware can *fit* color data to send, though.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20120190440.PGNR.

Not sure what this is supposed to link to, but it doesn't work for me.

--Donnie

#775 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

So the question then becomes how can one colorize a game without infringing on that?

Software patents are not recognized by all countries. If the developer is in one such country and is not trying to sell his product in others, there is squat that can be done against him.

#776 4 years ago

The other aspect is that ColorDMD would actually have to bring suit.

Are they making so much money that they can afford a $100K+ patent lawsuit?

#777 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Software patents are not recognized by all countries. If the developer is in one such country and is not trying to sell his product in others, there is squat that can be done against him.

This is true.

That said, I'm in the US and I'd love to see some system where a true community effort could happen to colorize games and do so on hardware much cheaper than ColorDMD. Yeah, that part can happen and me still be able to *use* it if the software part is distributed from outside the US, but I'd also like to see someone be able to sell the hardware this runs on in the US without fear of being sued. Not because I want to be in that business, just because I think it would help get the hardware in more hands of folks that could then contribute to the software side as well as community colorized data.

I personally believe RGB.DMD and Pin2DMD can both be legally sold in the US without fear of lawsuit from ColorDMD's patent as long as the software sitting on them doesn't include on-the-fly color translation. This seems to be why Eli has no plans to write or include software that does that, and it's why lucky1 has created his "non-commercial" status for his board and software.

--Donnie

#778 4 years ago

IMO, patents at this low level of technology are unnecessary and a waste of time, especially enforcing them.

#779 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

IMO, patents at this low level of technology are unnecessary and a waste of time, especially enforcing them.

That's the general opinion of anyone who isn't a patent owner but has a patent owner keeping them from doing something they want to do.

I personally don't think the patent has created one single sale that ColorDMD wouldn't have made anyway....YET. This current line of projects does finally threaten it, however. So I see why ColorDMD is trying to protect it. I don't *like* it, but I see why they are doing it. I emailed them and suggested they also do an LED version of their product (a while back when this entire concept happened thanks to the 2.5mm "cheap" displays hitting the market), which they said they are looking into. It will be interesting to see if that happens. It's still not "the answer" because they have a closed model of colorization, however.

I personally think a patent like this is too broad of a concept and shouldn't have been granted in the first place (again, that's easy for folks to say who would prefer to be able to do this on their own). But what's done is done on that front, as invalidating a patent like this isn't likely.

--Donnie

#780 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

I personally think a patent like this is too broad of a concept and shouldn't have been granted in the first place

Is it a granted patent now and not a pending patent?

#781 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

That's the general opinion of anyone who isn't a patent owner but has a patent owner keeping them from doing something they want to do.

Neither of those factors apply to me.

I just don't think things like this should be patented. It's not that I want to compete against them, because I would crush them and have no desire to do that. I just don't see the point in patenting something that is going to generate a couple hundred thousand in revenue and then die.

It's not like there is a giant untapped market that these patents are protecting.

Point being, the beauty of ColorDMD is not the patent. It's the community that they have built around it. That's where the value lies. A patent does not protect or cultivate that.

#782 4 years ago

Is it a granted patent now and not a pending patent?

Yes, even though their own site says "pending" in places, it is a granted patent (I'm guessing they just haven't gotten around to fully updating the site).

--Donnie

#783 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I just don't think things like this should be patented. It's not that I want to compete against them, because I would crush them and have no desire to do that. I just don't see the point in patenting something that is going to generate a couple hundred thousand in revenue and then die.
    It's not like there is a giant untapped market that these patents are protecting.

Huh? The generic nature of the patent would imply that any older monochrome device that anyone wanted to colorize with an add-on device might be covered. Not sure what that is, but I'm guessing there are other markets just as big as this one that might emerge, anyway. While they used "pinball" in the title of the patent, the patent does exist in a much broader scope than JUST pinball machines. Again, somewhat unfortunately for the rest of us.

Point being, the beauty of ColorDMD is not the patent. It's the community that they have built around it. That's where the value lies. A patent does not protect or cultivate that.

That's just it...the "community" aspect of this COULD have been so much bigger, even with the patent. I'm still not sure why they didn't open up an API for people to colorize their own games since WITH the patent anyone who wanted to use the fruits of that effort would have to buy their hardware to do it. I believe fully that releasing their tools and making it an open and collaborative effort would have yielded a LOT more "done" titles by now and thus a lot more in sales. That said, maybe I'm wrong, because they seem to run out quite a bit and maybe there's some inability to produce many more panels anyway without it becoming problematic. They might just be "stuck" in a volume area where they can't really go bigger without spending more than they can to make a HUGE run or something. We really don't know, I guess.

But a "community" of ColorDMD users? I don't see it. I feel like a customer and nothing more, and I'm quite a sizable customer at this point (I think I have six or seven now). I had hoped for a Pin2DMD community, but that one is compromised somewhat by their licensing choice as well. I mean sure, we're all part of a "pinball" community, which is cool, but within that we definitely have sub-communities, if you will.

--Donnie

#784 4 years ago
    #785 4 years ago

Okay, I have a lucky1/UncleSash complete "Package E" rev2.0 board for sale. $50 shipped CONUS. Email djb@donniebarnes.com if interested. Still loaded with the 1.27fw, though 2.0 is out now. Never powered on by me.

All you need to add is an SD card and your chinese LED display (which you can get from FAST along with their bracket, or direct from Ali Express without the bracket). I know we're normally supposed to use the FS forums, but this is still more a developer thing than a product anyway.

I've probably agitated lucky1 so much now I'd never get a license key for 2.0 anyway. LOL.

--Donnie

#786 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There's also the point that this clearly lacks innovation in any meaningful sense. The concept of patents is to protect innovators.

This is relatively basic software with no particularly novel approach, nor the hardware.

The idea that the whole concept of it - regardless of the actual way it's achieved - can be patented, or that Randy wants to try to frighten people out of the market on that basis, is farcical.

The US patent system is patently (I had to) not designed to protect innovators, but to preserve monopolies.

The only IP protection they need and / or deserve is a trademark protecting their brand. Though that in itself would be highly subject to doubt given that I'm sure they didn't coin the term Colo(u)rDMD / Colo(u)r DMD, and would probably have to just be the logo rather than the name as a descriptive term.

#787 4 years ago

Here is one of the reasons why we introduced the activation system:

www.pinballsp.com

He recently introduce his own pcb to sell with our software without even asking for permission.
    We will make sure that not one of his pcbs will work with PIN2DMD

#788 4 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

http://www.pinballsp.com
    He recently introduce his own pcb to sell with our software without even asking for permission.

WTF?
    I don't understand the language, what is he trying to do?

#789 4 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

http://www.pinballsp.com

You're entitled to that position, but please remove the words "open source" from your project since it's clearly not. If it were, you would actually be happy people were doing things like this since more users leads to more contributors and better software (and hardware) for everyone.

--Donnie

#790 4 years ago

Wow, some bullcrap. Chew him out, threaten legal action if you can.

#791 4 years ago
    Quoted from djb_rh:

You're entitled to that position, but please remove the words "open source" from your project since it's clearly not. If it were, you would actually be happy people were doing things like this since more users leads to more contributors and better software (and hardware) for everyone.
    --Donnie

The owner of PinballSP is selling these boards, for his own profit, off the backs of others who created this open source software which was ultimately designed to be free and open for anyone to modify without charging or taking credit from the original authors. This is how open source projects work.

#792 4 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

WTF?
    I don't understand the language, what is he trying to do?

He's created his own hardware that's still st32 based and thus will run lucky1's software. It seems his "claim to fame" such as it were is that it's one PCB with everything on it that plugs directly into the chinese LED display board thus eliminating basically all cabling and "shield" connectors and so forth that the other implementations require. Which is nice, I suppose, but I'm not sure it's very necessary, either.

I'm guessing the fact that lucky1 does say "open source" with his project is why the pinballsp guy is confused (and likely a language barrier isn't helping). In a translation of his Facebook post he does say this:

In addition I am going to study the adaptation for large screens of 192*64 for the sega. The project pin2dmd I think right now I don't support that kind of screens, and I do not know whether they will, and when, that's why I've decided to start making my own adaptation because the sources are in the public domain.

lucky1's source code has been available in the past and is currently available with permission only, but doesn't pass any test of the definition for "open source", and certainly isn't "public domain" AT ALL. I doubt the guy is trying to steal anything, he just doesn't understand the license properly. Most of the time when a project says "open source", what he's doing isn't just acceptable, it's cool.

--Donnie

#793 4 years ago

I think he is pretty aware of what he is doing. I sent him a note on facebook in spanish and english and a PM here to remove our product from his company site. The only thing that happened is that my comment on facebook got deleted shortly after. I´m glad that we introduced the activation key system because it is these guys that pisses me off. He will have to stay forever with the 1.x firmware which is still open source on github. I doubt that he is capable of adding any features like the V2 has.

#794 4 years ago

hmm i posted on his facebook on the page that had the actual pin2dmd screenshot on the panel, comment is gone in < 5 minutes heh and the photo is gone too. heh. he certainly knows he should not be using pin2dmd for commercial purposes per the CC-NC license... you should report it for using your intellectual property on the facebook page. i think its an option on that pages 'report' button.

#795 4 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

hmm i posted on his facebook on the page that had the actual pin2dmd screenshot on the panel, comment is gone in < 5 minutes heh and the photo is gone too. heh. he certainly knows he should not be using pin2dmd for commercial purposes per the CC-NC license... you should report it for using your intellectual property on the facebook page. i think its an option on that pages 'report' button.

Thanks for your investigation. Wrote a small letter to the customers of him commenting on his "invention". Also created a topic here.
    The community is that small the news will spread anyways and do more harm to him that way.
    To be honest, I like his design, but since we really don´t know which hardware features we will add in the future
    it is better to stay modular. That way you can keep the core components and just add features by swapping the shield at
    low costs. The contributor Team got just joined by two people. One is trying to make it possible to read the animations
    directly from the ROM for the editor and the other is thinking about adding WIFI functionalities to the shield.
    We will see where this leads to.

#796 4 years ago

I am a bit confused.

can we buy a http://www.pinballsp.com board and install the pin2dmd firmware on it if we buy(donate) the pin2dmd key. Or is this hardware just completely banned from the pin2dmd "OPEN SOURCE" project?

The http://www.pinballsp.com is only illegal if it comes pre installed with pin2dmd firmware?

#797 4 years ago

Began jumping around and reading thru this thread and it's all very interested. I just recently had a DMD start to out gas, but I had a used spare DMD. I might need one for the T2 I'll be restoring soon though.

What is the total cost for everything needed, LED panel, board, etc ? I'd want Lucky's board because I'd want a color and not black & white.

#798 4 years ago

They both do color, but Lucky's board will let you adjust the images on a per screen basis if you're willing to ignore the ColorDMD patent.

Cost for either is around $100 for the panels, $50 for the controller and maybe $15 for a power supply.

#799 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I am a bit confused.
    can we buy a http://www.pinballsp.com board and install the pin2dmd firmware on it if we buy(donate) the pin2dmd key. Or is this hardware just completely banned from the pin2dmd "OPEN SOURCE" project?
    The http://www.pinballsp.com is only illegal if it comes pre installed with pin2dmd firmware?

To be honest I like the idea of that all-in-one board and would be proud to see pin2dmd like that one day but,
    since we are doing it for free I don´t want to mess around with and give support for different hardware even if it claims to be 100% compatible. If I stay with the disco board for now I can easily reproduce any problem and fix it. We are still in the development phase of this project and I want to focus on implementing new features and not on supporting somebody else´s hardware. That is a waste of my personal time. That is the reason why there will be no key for this.

#800 4 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

To be honest I like the idea of that all-in-one board and would be proud to see pin2dmd like that one day but,
    since we are doing it for free I don´t want to mess around with and give support for different hardware even if it claims to be 100% compatible. If I stay with the disco board for now I can easily reproduce any problem and fix it. We are still in the development phase of this project and I want to focus on implementing new features and not on supporting somebody else´s hardware. That is a waste of my personal time. That is the reason why there will be no key for this.

And that's why it's not open source.

If this were open source, most owners would simply say "hey, new hardware is fine as long as the hardware designer contributes the software patches required to keep it working." Yes, that's still SOME work making sure their patches don't suck, but that's what most open source folks do. Some owners say "okay, this is fine, but you need to contribute each major revision of hardware to me so I can help make sure it works, too." Most hardware folks are pretty happy with that kind of thing.

And some open source people say "it's not our problem, the only hardware we support is XYZ." Then if the person really wants to run your software anyway, they simply distribute your source code along with whatever patches they needed to make it work on their hardware and you don't have to care.

But since you've locked it up, they can't even do that. That's your right, but...

It's not open source. Would make sense to remove that moniker from your web pages, IMHO. It's going to continue to confuse people.

--Donnie

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7.95
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 12.95
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    € 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 68.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 3.49
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside