Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 992 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ecurtz
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8545 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8627 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_20160506_082356_(resized).jpg
    pin2dmd_(resized).jpg
    on_comparison_(resized).jpg
    on_100_(resized).jpg
    on_50_(resized).jpg
    on_20_(resized).jpg
    off_comparison_(resized).jpg
    off_100_(resized).jpg
    off_50_(resized).jpg
    off_20_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160325_191509_(resized).jpg
    There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.
    #451 8 years ago

Awesome, looks like we are on our way to a kit.

#452 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Included:
    1 - Black ABS Mounting Bracket
    2 - Bracket Feet
    2 - Bracket Feet w/ Steeper Angle

Aaron - Good to hear!!
    Which one of these - if any - allow the mounting into the existing mounting in a DMD game (to replace a plasma DMD)?

#453 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Aaron - Good to hear!!
    Which one of these - if any - allow the mounting into the existing mounting in a DMD game (to replace a plasma DMD)?

You would use just the bracket itself and no legs. The bracket design is based on the footprint the Eli made on the one he brought to me that lined right up on the TOTAN we put it in.

We added the legs to the offering because we could use the space that is cut away from the bracket to expose the backside of the RGB panels themselves. The shape of the bracket allowed us to make more per sheet to keep cost down.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#454 8 years ago

Additional photos I had on my phone!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#455 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

2 - 32x64 RGB DMD Panels
    1 - Black ABS Mounting Bracket
    2 - Bracket Feet
    2 - Bracket Feet w/ Steeper Angle
    2 - 16 pin cables
    2 - Power connector cables

Awesome! Looking forward to ordering! So in addition we'll need:
    -PCB controller board (options from ecurtz or lucky1)
    -Power supply - 5v 10amps?

Anything else?

#456 8 years ago

You'll need a controller board and a microcomputer for running the software. The Teensy and Discovery boards are two that have been tested. And of course a power supply. When everything has been determined you can probably build one of these for the same price as a new plasma DMD, if not less!

#457 8 years ago

looking great so far

#458 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

You'll need a controller board and a microcomputer for running the software. The Teensy and Discovery boards are two that have been tested. And of course a power supply. When everything has been determined you can probably build one of these for the same price as a new plasma DMD, if not less!

I ordered from Lucky1 (I believe), and got more than I needed at $50. If Aaron sells these for $99, that's $149. (Plus whatever Aaron charges for shipping..) I ordered the board and control set for Virtual Pin, even though I'm putting mine in my TZ. (I wanted to have the extras for any future project). So that's a good $50 less, plus power supply. So yeah, just under the cost. More under if you don't get the unneeded extras.

#459 8 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

PIN2DMD interface with dual Hub75 output pcb from UncleSash to drive 2 panels.
    » YouTube video

lol, when you panned out I literally exclaimed "Holy Shi*!" So cool.

#460 8 years ago

or you can buy only Black ABS Mounting Bracket ???

#461 8 years ago

Sorry to be AWOL, I've been down with a head cold this week.

Significant progress on the Whitestar issue, so I'm fairly confident on that front now.

I've just put in the order for more boards, so people who are interested in using my stuff will be able to get a controller in the same package if you're getting panels from Aaron. It's still officially "beta" and I can't 100% guarantee that they'll work in every machine, but I'll be posting the code at that point as well, and will work on bug fixes or take them back if you have issues on any particular HW. The only thing they definitely don't support is Spooky, who use a non-standard protocol to control their DMD.

#462 8 years ago

Since we're on the subject of other manufacturers, has anyone doing this project considered PPS support? MMR (and I would say AFMR) has a 14 pin header labeled "DMD." I tried testing for a signal but I can't grab the a DMD from a neighboring game (cables too short).

#463 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Since we're on the subject of other manufacturers, has anyone doing this project considered PPS support? MMR (and I would say AFMR) has a 14 pin header labeled "DMD." I tried testing for a signal but I can't grab the a DMD from a neighboring game (cables too short).

If there's a signal at all it's probably standard. But you wouldn't have the color data that they're using for the LCD display.

#464 8 years ago

Right. What intrigues me is the fact that it's there and it's unused. If there is a standard signal on it, could it be feasible to replace it with a standard alternative just for kicks?

#465 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Right. What intrigues me is the fact that it's there and it's unused. If there is a standard signal on it, could it be feasible to replace it with a standard alternative just for kicks?

Is there even a signal? Does a logic probe reveal any pulsing lines?

#466 8 years ago

I haven't tested with a logic probe, but I'm sure there's a signal. Anyone have access to an MMR and a probe/signal analyzer?

#468 8 years ago
    Quoted from fly:

or you can buy only Black ABS Mounting Bracket ???

Sure. I think we could do that. Help me out, what is a fair price?

We are using little projects like this to work the kinks out of the workflow from design to laser cutting. Lasers are cool........

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#469 8 years ago

All right, the store now includes the kit.

https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/rgb-dmd-panel-mounting-bracket-kit

I will have to tweak the photos later (sooo tired...) because the square cropping of the photos doesn't look good.

https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/rgb-dmd-mounting-bracket-only

I will add the "mounting bracket only" photos when I get a chance.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#470 8 years ago

Order placed.... Now...... To get the boards......

Screenshot_20160123-073151_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160123-073151_(resized).png

#471 8 years ago

I'm so stoked!!!

#472 8 years ago

So I just did.a quick scan of the thread...getting long.... And I wanted to see if I missed it but I know with wpc we get 4 shades. Has there been any progress on a....side channel maybe to use pinbrowser to colorize frames them load them in?

So much info so hard to keep up....so.exicited!!

#473 8 years ago

The side channel is an unused digital Y/C component of the Stern SAM system I believe and is unique to that system.

#474 8 years ago

Got it. So just 4 shades. How is that configured with this drop setup for wpc? Seems pinbrowser doesn't do it. I'll search the thread again and see what I find

#475 8 years ago

I think everything is done through the goDMD Editor.

#476 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I think everything is done through the goDMD Editor.

I believe that that only works for Lucky1's RaspPi system, too. It produces a file that's copied onto the SD card.

Not sure if / what ecurtz's system uses.

#477 8 years ago

Looks like his uses custom software.

#478 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I will have to tweak the photos later (sooo tired...) because the square cropping of the photos doesn't look good.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Thanks! Order placed!

#479 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I ordered from Lucky1 (I believe), and got more than I needed at $50. If Aaron sells these for $99, that's $149. (Plus whatever Aaron charges for shipping..) I ordered the board and control set for Virtual Pin, even though I'm putting mine in my TZ. (I wanted to have the extras for any future project). So that's a good $50 less, plus power supply. So yeah, just under the cost. More under if you don't get the unneeded extras.

Did you go through the vpuniverse seller?

I'm guessing you'd still need a power supply.

I'm personally planning on trying out both options: one from ecurtz and one from Lucky1

I can post feedback when I get them installed.

#480 8 years ago

Wow! Orders are coming in. Get in before this first lot is gone!

Follow up question for everyone based on customer questions.

Power Supplies: I may have missed it, but is there a power supply everyone likes for these kits? We have a relationship with Mean Well which would allow us to get supplies and make that an option to include with kits also. While it won't be a huge price savings on the supply compared to retail elsewhere, the combined shipping will certainly save a few bucks.

Alternative bracket materials: we can do brackets in other materials if there is enough interest. Different color plastic, wood veneers, etc. Might not matter much for mounting in a pinball machine, but some people have other plans for the panels (clocks, displaying weather/stock market/twitter data). If I could get enough interest in other material we could run them. It would take probably an order of 12 (I believe that is what fits in the 24"x48" sheets we can fit in the laser) to make it worth it. Additional material cost may apply.

I am really happy to help the DIY efforts and get more people making rad stuff in and around pinball!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

PS: who is going to be the first to get one in and running in a CV? I want to see that!

#481 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

If you want to put it into TZ, I would advice to order for real pinball since that pcbs have a filter which the virtual pin pcbs don´t have.

#482 8 years ago

I would appreciate a power supply option.

Quoted from fastpinball:

Power Supplies: I may have missed it, but is there a power supply everyone likes for these kits? We have a relationship with Mean Well which would allow us to get supplies and make that an option to include with kits also. While it won't be a huge price savings on the supply compared to retail elsewhere, the combined shipping will certainly save a few bucks.

#483 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

PS: who is going to be the first to get one in and running in a CV? I want to see that!

Here is a video of pin2dmd in a CV

There is a little sync problem of the first row because the pcb didn´t have the filter and
    maybe we have to adjust the timing a bit, but I think that are the little things that come
    up the more different machines we connect.

#484 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Wow! Orders are coming in. Get in before this first lot is gone!
    Follow up question for everyone based on customer questions.
    Alternative bracket materials: we can do brackets in other materials if there is enough interest. Different color plastic, wood veneers, etc. Might not matter much for mounting in a pinball machine, but some people have other plans for the panels (clocks, displaying weather/stock market/twitter data). If I could get enough interest in other material we could run them. It would take probably an order of 12 (I believe that is what fits in the 24"x48" sheets we can fit in the laser) to make it worth it. Additional material cost may apply.
    I am really happy to help the DIY efforts and get more people making rad stuff in and around pinball!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

Ecurtz mentioned wanting to have his boards available through you at the time you ship out the panels. For those of us who have already put in an order would there be a way to upgrade and add a pcb?

#485 8 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

If you want to put it into TZ, I would advice to order for real pinball since that pcbs have a filter which the virtual pin pcbs don´t have.

Not sure what you're saying - I ordered your $50 'complete' (F) package over on VP forums.

#486 8 years ago

The package F is from UncleSash who organized a group buy for the pcbs. Pin2DMD is a open source community project of which I´m a part of doing mostly the firmware on the discovery board and others taking care of e.g. utilities like the pin2dmd editor from steve (aka go-dmd editor) which uses some additional code of my firmware.

I´m talking about the Rev.2.0 board from here http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2250-pin2dmd-prorder-backorder/?p=26700

#487 8 years ago

What is the advantage of this DMD solution vs. SmartDMD?

What is the total cost to put this together?

I saw the $99 screens and bracket. Then a controller, micro pc Rpi and software is needed (go DMD editor or something else), but through who and how much?

Sorry for all the questions... Just trying to see if this would be a better solution than SmartDMD for my pins in the future.

#488 8 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

Here is a video of pin2dmd in a CV
    » YouTube video
    There is a little sync problem of the first row because the pcb didn´t have the filter and
    maybe we have to adjust the timing a bit, but I think that are the little things that come
    up the more different machines we connect.

Looks great, but is it possible to fix the trailing issue when scrolling? I see the same problem with DMD Extender, but David said its not possible to fix, that these dim trailing planes are in the actual signal and it's simply not noticed with a plasma display. Much like with interlaced video and seeing scanlines on a flat screen TV vs. on a CRT.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#489 8 years ago

It is not a Raspberry Pi based. Pin2DMD uses a STM32F407 discovery board. The software is charityware which means
    that you are asked to donate for it and we forward the money to a charity project of our choice. The best place to get
    more information is vpuniverse, since most of the questions you have are already answered there.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/132-pin2dmd/

#490 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Looks great, but is it possible to fix the trailing issue when scrolling? I see the same problem with DMD Extender, but David said its not possible to fix, that these dim trailing planes are in the actual signal and it's simply not noticed with a plasma display. Much like with interlaced video and seeing scanlines on a flat screen TV vs. on a CRT.

I didn´t even notice and David could be right about that. I´m pretty much sure that you have the same
    when you connect a monochrome LED DMD to it but maybe it is more obvious when you have different
    colors for each shade. But who plays pinball in slow-motion or still picture anyways

#491 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I noticed a few dimly lit green pixels that should be completely off, is this fixable (just a software issue maybe)?

Your last post remembered me of another still picture analysis from you and
    there is a fix from a member of the community for the dim lights problem here
    http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2385-color-bleeding-of-chinese-rgb-panels/

That´s a good demonstration of the strength of community projects,
    I would never have had the idea to investigate that problem deeper.

#492 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigbadmiker:

What is the total cost to put this together?

That's still TBD as not all parts are currently available in a package from 1 seller. I'd guess it will come to about 150 to 175. Installation of these LED panels should be basically a drop in replacement which isn't necessarily the case with LCD based solutions which are bigger than DMDs.

#493 8 years ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

I didn´t even notice and David could be right about that. I´m pretty much sure that you have the same
    when you connect a monochrome LED DMD to it but maybe it is more obvious when you have different
    colors for each shade. But who plays pinball in slow-motion or still picture anyways

It is noticeable when you have big changes in the images and with flashing text but honestly, I wouldn't even consider it an issue. The flashing creates a rainbow effect that looks pretty cool.

#494 8 years ago

Very cool. At $9 each, it's clear you're not selling the brackets to get rich quick

Any chance you would share the template so others could take this to a local place to get one laser cut?

Thanks!

Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#495 8 years ago

Very awesome work by everyone involved! It all looks great.

Is there any possibility to get this to work with the smaller Data East dmd games?

#496 8 years ago

I asked about this before and apparently the way the dmd board to mounted is directly to the dmd so there isn't an easy way to grab the signal..... Or something like that.... Bummed

#497 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Very cool. At $9 each, it's clear you're not selling the brackets to get rich quick
    Any chance you would share the template so others could take this to a local place to get one laser cut?
    Thanks!

You would prefer to pay a local place to produce our design for you instead of buying what we produced?

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#498 8 years ago

Very cool stuff guys!

For $9 I'd just buy the brackets from Aaron though, he might not get rich off them, but he did put in a lot of work to make this happen for everyone, seems worth supporting that.

I'm curious to see what comes out of all of this. I saw the demo stuff at Expo, but that's not the same as a "real" game in full color.

#499 8 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

Ecurtz mentioned wanting to have his boards available through you at the time you ship out the panels. For those of us who have already put in an order would there be a way to upgrade and add a pcb?

We won't be shipping right away so Eli and I can sort packing things together in the meantime. We are practically neighbors up here!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#500 8 years ago
    Quoted from agodfrey:

I would appreciate a power supply option.

I'll work on this tonight and post back with what I think looks good.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

There are 992 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-led-panels-for-dmd-replacement/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.