(Topic ID: 98895)

RGB Color Changing Strips in 6.3V! * IMPORTANT EDIT*****

By OLDPINGUY

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RGBSMD 2.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

*****Well I broke a rule a swore I would never do. I have been averaging around 20 emails a day, asking, "when these will be available ** I was so excited yesterday when they came in, that I jumped to post.
    The last batch worked perfectly, I installed them in X-men, and in CSI, grabbing GI, and feature inserts.
    I tested these in the office with external power supply, and they worked fine, so I listed.
    As people asked questions today, I went to test. Indeed, they work fine in some games, but not ALL games,
    and at this time, I dont know why....?
    So, I need to suspend sales, and reach out to all those that ordered them, with apologies, till I can figure this out.
    Of course, Ill refund anyone, and everyone, and send some out for some greater knowledge and help, to resolve.

My apologies....I must remember to test everything 1000 times!!! Ill keep you guys posted.*****

Art

RGBSMD 2.jpgRGBSMD 2.jpg

#2 9 years ago

and here they are folks another Comet Exclusive. So Art just to be clear here with the 48in. extension cable that's the distance between the led head and the remote control right?

#3 9 years ago

Sorry the extension is a 2 wire, so it is before the remote...
    It would be too hard to find any open holes that might hold the 4 wires, that are flat and black taped.
    But the controller has a memory, so you can set your affects you want by plugging anywhere.
    Hopefully all the extra length...and sorry, Ill put the them up tomorrow, between the strip and remote will help.
    But since every game and app is unique, we tried to create enough length to drop the remote below the playfield
    for access as well.
    I am sure there are instances where some desired applications may find it too short, or too long...
    Hard to anticipate all the possibilities....

#4 9 years ago

So if I wanna use these in tz backbox u think I will I be able to sync the 2 strips to fade the same color
    At the same time?

#5 9 years ago

Art, you 'da MAN! This is very cool!

For the RGB strips, I'm not clear on the setup options. From your site:

5 brightness options
    20 colors
    Special fade and blink effects (I assume this sets the transition between colors when set to RGB)

Can I set them to be one of the 20 colors and not cycle through all the colors?

If I set the strip to a single color, will these work powered by inserts that may flash on and off? In other words do they light up instantly with the controller in the path or is there a delay?

Is there a connector between the controller and LEDs or are those soldered joints?

For the modders of mods, how many LEDs can the controller handle? For example, if I wanted to solder on a second strip of RGB LEDs to a single controller so the colors would be synced, how many LEDs can it handle, total?

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

So if I wanna use these in tz backbox u think I will I be able to sync the 2 strips to fade the same color
    At the same time?

Synchronizing them might be tough....possible, but not guaranteed...
    If the affects are similar, it may or may not make you happy.
    At this time because of the flood of emails, I released, before I have had the chance to try out many of the unique
    solutions, but Ill try this in my TZ this weekend...That I can do!

Quoted from Schwaggs:

For the RGB strips, I'm not clear on the setup options. From your site:

5 brightness options
    20 colors
    Special fade and blink effects (I assume this sets the transition between colors when set to RGB)

Can I set them to be one of the 20 colors and not cycle through all the colors?

If I set the strip to a single color, will these work powered by inserts that may flash on and off? In other words do they light up instantly with the controller in the path or is there a delay?

Is there a connector between the controller and LEDs or are those soldered joints?

For the modders of mods, how many LEDs can the controller handle? For example, if I wanted to solder on a second strip of RGB LEDs to a single controller so the colors would be synced, how many LEDs can it handle, total?

The special effects seem to combo using 2 buttons.
    Is your question, Can you set one color to fade in and out, or blink at different speeds?

They will respond to the power from an insert and light. As far as a delay, ever so so slight. Only the keenest eyes, may see the time it takes electric to travel. If you have it set to an effect, it will need to stay lit long enough
    to trigger the internal cycling. It wont hold an on signal with any form of time delay or control.
    If I am not describing well, I hope to have videos up very soon.

There is a 4 pin connector between the controller and the 4 leads, right below the black,
    It is recommended when you have in the position you want, if you dont think you will be moving it, to add a small piece of tape to secure. This also allows creative theading and application.
    I heard from a proto tester that had a couple strips, that they enjoy setting the strip outside the application via coin door, and then installing.

Good Question, and I dont know the exact answer. This mini controller is sold with a full roll of RGb on the net, so I imagine it can handle a reasonable length. However that is 12V, and this runs on 6.3V, so I hope over time, a better answer from users will come.

Art

#7 9 years ago

yep got one of those in my basket last night, can't wait to try them out.

#8 9 years ago

Any coupon codes out?

#9 9 years ago

So sorry, I dont raise prices, then give out coupon codes.
    If youll check, you will find many products at up to 60% less already, then what is out there.
    A few bucks, helps me develop new products, but if the prices arent right for you, I understand.

#10 9 years ago

+1 ordered two strips in hopes of doing the WW topper LED mod. Cant wait!

#11 9 years ago

this is an awesome idea!

#12 9 years ago

I just asked because it's an option on your website.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is your question, Can you set one color to fade in and out, or blink at different speeds?

Actually, your answer split my question into 2 pieces:

1) can I set the strip to a single color and it stays there, always on (assuming it is powered by GI)?

2) can I set it to a single color and have fading on/off and/or blinking modes (assuming its powered by GI)?

#14 9 years ago

To answer some of the questions asked.

The length of the strip to controller is 9"
    controller to socket or clip is an additional 19"
    extension adds an additional 48"

Quoted from Schwaggs:

1) can I set the strip to a single color and it stays there, always on (assuming it is powered by GI)?

Absolutely Yes

2) can I set it to a single color and have fading on/off and/or blinking modes (assuming its powered by GI)?

Single color Blink, Yes, Single color fade on and off no.

Functions are blink and fade add different speeds, but fade one color, I havent been able to set.
    Sometimes one needs to press 2 buttons to get an effect. It has plenty, but not the 64 or programmable functions that come with larger wireless remotes. To keep this small and effective, not every combination of special affects
    will be possible.

#15 9 years ago

Perfect, thanks Art!

#16 9 years ago

will it be able to slowly change brightness of one color over time or is there just a set brightness settings and it stays that brightness level while on, thanks!

#17 9 years ago

Damn it! I was really excited too! Do you have an ETA on testing these so theyll be available again?

#18 9 years ago

Sorry no, I didnt sleep last night trying to understand this...I will work on it more today....

#19 9 years ago

Nice!!!!!! Hey.....bring some of those to Sarasota with ya!!!! show me where and how to use them. I'm sure a lot of others might too!

#20 9 years ago

Sorry Art!

In your troubleshooting, when you find one machine or connection location that doesn't work, try reversing the leads to see if that makes a difference. (sorry if this is obvious to you... )

#21 9 years ago

I appreciate any ideas....thank you.

I am thinking maybe there is a change in the controller used from first batch to this....

#22 9 years ago

Don't lose any sleep over this Art. No one has any problem waiting a little longer for Comet perfection. You'll get it figured out brothah. They look and will be awesome!

EDIT: And some people complain about the prices of all things LED. I'll buy right from China they say and save $10. Yeah...good luck with that.

This is why you go to an expert and professional like Art. He figures all this stuff out and delivers perfect products that have months of research and development poured into them. This is why we ALL need to support guys like this who do this more so as a labor of love to help out the pin-community. They sure as heck ain't getting rich off this stuff. Man up, respect and pay the little extra to support our Pinside family members who create these amazing mods for our machines. Rant over.

#23 9 years ago

art,
    since i placed an order and added one of those in it, i'll be glad to make some test in star trek and make a report, i don't mind paying for it also.

bob.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So sorry, I dont raise prices, then give out coupon codes.
    If youll check, you will find many products at up to 60% less already, then what is out there.
    A few bucks, helps me develop new products, but if the prices arent right for you, I understand.

Love the fact that I don't have to remember a code to get a "discount" for being special. Your prices rock 24/7/365 Art, and so does the shipping! Keep it up!

#25 9 years ago

Now you need some plug and play El Wire kits!

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

As people asked questions today, I went to test. Indeed, they work fine in some games, but not ALL games,

You probably already did this, but out of curiosity, did you try reversing the leads in the games that didn't work? I've noticed that some LEDs will only work when powered one way.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

*****Well I broke a rule a swore I would never do. I have been averaging around 20 emails a day, asking, "when these will be available ** I was so excited yesterday when they came in, that I jumped to post.
    The last batch worked perfectly, I installed them in X-men, and in CSI, grabbing GI, and feature inserts.
    I tested these in the office with external power supply, and they worked fine, so I listed.
    So, I need to suspend sales, and reach out to all those that ordered them, with apologies, till I can figure this out.
    Of course, Ill refund anyone, and everyone, and send some out for some greater knowledge and help, to resolve.
    My apologies....I must remember to test everything 1000 times!!! Ill keep you guys posted.*****
    Art

RGBSMD 2.jpg 34 KB

Oh nooooo.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Don't lose any sleep over this Art. No one has any problem waiting a little longer for Comet perfection. You'll get it figured out brothah. They look and will be awesome!
    EDIT: And some people complain about the prices of all things LED. I'll buy right from China they say and save $10. Yeah...good luck with that.
    This is why you go to an expert and professional like Art. He figures all this stuff out and delivers perfect products that have months of research and development poured into them. This is why we ALL need to support guys like this who do this more so as a labor of love to help out the pin-community. They sure as heck ain't getting rich off this stuff. Man up, respect and pay the little extra to support our Pinside family members who create these amazing mods for our machines. Rant over.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-color-changing-strips-in-63v-another-new-led-product-from-comet-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.