You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-08-06-17-44-58 (resized).png
20180806180911234 (resized).jpg
20180806180857833 (resized).jpg
20180806012336088 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

I had difficulty with loose connection on the pins on the pc cables. But mine is in a episode 1 so it was at the junction point (I believe dedicated rfm has a longer cable going all the way thru cabinet instead of junction).

You sure there isn't a touchy cable end maybe?

#5 5 years ago

Are you sure memory and/or CPU are fully seated? Thought I remembered someone mentioning reseating processor once....though I know not the most fun areas to be messing with on the rare parts...

#12 5 years ago

Ram just plain flaky? Like maybe even a bad solder or trace on ram somewhere?

Is beeping an option in the bios?

#14 5 years ago

I wasn't sure Bios settings for a cyrix board; Also thought it may have been turned off by someone (or even set by Williams), but I wouldn't know why if it doesnt have a speaker.

#15 5 years ago

I have seen a pc motherboard in the past that seemed flaky and would sometimes work after messing with various cards/ram/etc. Don't recall exactly what, but turned out inserting things onto MB was flexing MB enough to make or break some component(s) with poor solder on the MB itself.

#18 5 years ago

I'm sure you did but, did you use decent low ESR caps? I.E. not some knockoffs off ebay or some cheapo general use caps?

Only asking because I was thinking if they were cheap caps and had been installed a little while now, maybe they took a beating with machine running for long periods (longer than at home say) at a show/event started flaking already.

Not really my first thought, but wanted to throw extra ideas out there.

#24 5 years ago

You may have already said so, did you reseat the processor yet?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

So, I turned the game on, and let it sit for about 2 minutes. Then the computer suddenly booted on its own without reseting the computer.
Started a game, and it played fine.
Turned it off for 30 seconds, turned it back on, and the PC booted immediately like it was doing last night.
So, that seems to indicate that there could be heat issue on the motherboard where could be a broken trace or cracked solder joint, or a leaky cap that isn't getting charged up quickly enough from a cold boot.
Are there any other caps on this motherboard that are typically replaced?

Would love to see more people chime in with other probs they have solved.

If you didn't use low ESR high quality caps, I would think it would work, just may not hold up as long as originals. Possibly a delicate trace or cold solder joint near new parts? Or a just plain defective new cap??? It happens (rarely).

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, I haven't. I'm not sure if messing with that will introduce a new problem or not.

I see both sides of that one. Kinda worries me messing with it too. But also, may be easier than tearing it all apart and inspecting entire board too...idk.

But if it eventually boots, sounds possible to equally be bad cap or trace/joint/connection as you said.

#34 5 years ago

Taking to a show not working?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I installed nichicon caps.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I see those are the higher 105 degree caps. Thats good. Not sure if they are low ESR ones or not.
Did Ed list as low? He sells both.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I see those are the higher 105 degree caps. Thats good. Not sure if they are low ESR ones or not.
Did Ed list as low? He sells both.

Screenshot_2018-08-06-17-44-58 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-08-06-17-44-58 (resized).png
#38 5 years ago

Missed that it stayed stable I guess, sorry.

Thought you mentioned gettinf them from Great Plains;maybe not.

Hope it stays goin for you at show
Cool game for someone to bring since it isn't the easiest to move.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-won-t-boot-after-bringing-it-back-from-a-show?tu=pacmanretro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.