(Topic ID: 278563)

RFM with Nucore + CRT monitor, what a challenge?

By vincz

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vincz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2020-10-26_14-45-48 (resized).jpg
    WG-19K7302 (resized).png
    RFMRed2 (resized).JPG
    IMG-1689 (resized).JPG
    IMG-1688 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hello , Since several months , I'm trying to use my original CRT monitor with Nucore on my Revenge from mars

The game works fine with Nucore , everything goes well with Lubuntu and the 15Khz script
    I've installed a Sapphire ATI Radeon 5450 video card and the bios was flashed to 15Khz
    so when i start the computer the display looks good excepted the image cut to the right

i've added one Fueran Emulateur EDID VGA EM-EDID-HD15EDID adapter between the video card to the VGA cable
    The shift of the image to the right is better but the display to the right lost several inches,(in yellow see the screenshot) so the image is not centered to the entire screen.

i think i'm not alone to continue to use my original CRT monitor but ... with a nucore configuration, it is not very very easy.
    i know with a LCD monitor everything works fine

Thanks to those who will be able to help me

IMG-1688 (resized).jpgIMG-1688 (resized).jpg
    IMG-1689 (resized).JPGIMG-1689 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Why do you want to keep using the CRT? I’m running Pinbox with a $99 24” LED monitor and it looks incredible. I have an all original SW EP1 next to it and it blows the CRT away.

#3 3 years ago

I was sure someone was going to ask that question, LCD is not incredible with dark and the curved effect, CRT is better as far !!! (for me, just my opinion)
    Keeps the original looks

#4 3 years ago

Ah, but the LED monitors have a great black level. Be sure to post your solution if you find one. I was going to try the same thing you are because my RFM original CPU was bad, so I built a Pinbox. I have an ArcadeVGA video card leftover from my MAME days that I was going to see how it worked. But $99 to drop in a monitor and start playing my new game instead getting deep into a project like what you're doing.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks my friend but it is not my question

#6 3 years ago

Any comment only bumps your thread to the top for other to see.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from vincz:

Hello , Since several months , I'm trying to use my original CRT monitor with Nucore on my Revenge from mars
    The game works fine with Nucore , everything goes well with Lubuntu and the 15Khz script
    I've installed a Sapphire ATI Radeon 5450 video card and the bios was flashed to 15Khz
    so when i start the computer the display looks good excepted the image cut to the right
    i've added one Fueran Emulateur EDID VGA EM-EDID-HD15EDID adapter between the video card to the VGA cable
    The shift of the image to the right is better but the display to the right lost several inches,(in yellow see the screenshot) so the image is not centered to the entire screen.
    i think i'm not alone to continue to use my original CRT monitor but ... with a nucore configuration, it is not very very easy.
    i know with a LCD monitor everything works fine
    Thanks to those who will be able to help me
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Have you tried adjusting the analog control (h-pos) of your monitor?

#8 3 years ago

Absolutely, the button adjust the horizontal position but it's locked to the right side .
    vertical position is ok

With my old and original P2K computer the size of the CRT monitor is not cut to the Right/left side, the display works properly

this problem only occurs with CRT + a new computer (laptop or desktop) with Nucore

#9 3 years ago

You can install a shunt (jumper) on across R705 which should shift the screen to the right. It is a common issue on the WG monitor (if that's the monitor you have). See item 9:
    http://www.pinball2000.de/pin2000_monitor.htm

#10 3 years ago

Hmm Very interesting , thanks

#11 3 years ago

You are the best because it works with a Samsung monitor!
    i seen your old post, i have the same restoration as your game !

Another question, how i can adjust H-Size ? i don't have this button? only V-Size

RFMRed2 (resized).JPGRFMRed2 (resized).JPG

#12 3 years ago

Horizontal size can usually be found on the chassis main pcb.

I like the red

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from vincz:

You are the best because it works with a Samsung monitor!
    i seen your old post, i have the same restoration as your game !
    Another question, how i can adjust H-Size ? i don't have this button? only V-Size
    [quoted image]

the red trim looks good on that game.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the red trim looks good on that game.

Yes it does... when i did mine... i went with black t-molding
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-restoration#post-5153611

#15 3 years ago

I search on the main pcb but can you tell me where it is for H Size?

#16 3 years ago
    WG-19K7302 (resized).pngWG-19K7302 (resized).png
    #17 3 years ago

very sensitive to adjust the horizontal width but now works perfectly with nucore!
    Many thanks

3 weeks later
    #18 3 years ago

hey !

my video card inside the computer has been updated to 15khz ,
    so when i start the computer monitor displays the video correctly except when lubuntu starts up.
    it's just a few seconds because the script 15khz-x11.sh for Nucore adjusts the video

do you think that is possible to have lubuntu in 15khz all the times and not this snowy 31khz-->15khz image for a few seconds?
    Thanks

2020-10-26_14-45-48 (resized).jpg2020-10-26_14-45-48 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-with-nucore-crt-monitor-what-a-challenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.