RFM weird light issue - please advise~

By Nemesis

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

How screwed am I? I did notice some custom hack job under the playfield but it never effected anything with the lights before. Also, I have been futzing around under the playfield putting in LEDs and stuff so what could I have messed up for this weird shit to be happening where one light is being called and 2 additional ones light with it? Also a whole section from the left side middle to upper seems out entirely.

How should I tackle this issue most effectively to fix?

Thank you for all tips in advance!

#2 11 years ago

If this popped up with the LEDs, you might remove them and try regular bulbs and see if you gain ground.

The ones that are out -open circuit - look for broken wire(s)

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I had a few lights out in the middle section(Fuel-Saucer-Weapons) and all those bulbs on that large bulb board, solder points were cracked/loose on the male molex pins.

edit-I noticed some no-ghost bulbs from PBL said they wont work in P2K.....

#4 11 years ago

Im using the cointaker kit. So I'll check the connectors ror the out sections. Its normal for leds to do that in rfm? I didnt notice anything in game but the lamp test showed it to me. I think i have a fresh flasher out too. Its frustrating!

#5 11 years ago

LEDs and this game do not get along well.

#6 11 years ago

I put LEDs just in the saucers to see what it looked like, and the test screen will show them as burnt out every single time. Regular bulbs show working, LEDs show not working whether they are or not.

#7 11 years ago

There is also a lot of programmed fade in this game. LEDs are bad at this.

To the OP. try reverting back to incandescent bulbs. If your problem disappears. At least then you'll have the peace of mind to know it is the LEDs causing your woes.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I put LEDs just in the saucers to see what it looked like, and the test screen will show them as burnt out every single time. Regular bulbs show working, LEDs show not working whether they are or not.

The LEDs don't draw enough power so the game doesn't think they are on.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I had a few lights out in the middle section(Fuel-Saucer-Weapons) and all those bulbs on that large bulb board, solder points were cracked/loose on the male molex pins.

This is important for any board with lights, more especially P2K. Vibration and gravity is real hard on the connector pins. Reflowing the solder on the pins the connector plugs onto fixes things nicely.

#10 11 years ago

I did note on a few of my bulb boards a couple of torn into solder points for the twist on socket ones, right centerflank? I guess I can try to repair those. Mean while... I understand the designed dimming not working, and I can live with the test menu being screwed up. I just wanted to make sure the multiple lights calling in the test menu were not related to my section of lights out (which is probably a man handled connecter that I fubared)

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Nemesis:

I did note on a few of my bulb boards a couple of torn into solder points for the twist on socket ones, right centerflank?

Yes, my issue was the large (12?)wire molex female/male connection to the bulb board, not each individual socket, but I would think those can get damaged as well.

#12 11 years ago

I think this game has issues with doing continuity tests on LED's.

I had an entire row go out and it was a loose solder leg on the main lamp board. Took a bit to find that was the source as the problem was intermittent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-weird-light-issue-please-advise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.