Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by krupa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tftc.JPG
5Ef5K95F33M23L33N6c9dc6a166f0ff31155f..jpg
5H75R05Je3Gc3Me3J4c9dc3bce565e57012d9..jpg

#1 5 years ago

Both cleaned and shopped with new rubbers, lights, etc. In the case of the RFM, new side decals and a new WG monitor have also been installed. Both sellers are asking almost the same amount (~$2500). Which is the better buy? Which is the better pin? Advice and opinions welcome.

#2 5 years ago

RFM..

Isnt $2500 for TFTC kinda high?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from stevedave:

RFM..
Isnt $2500 for TFTC kinda high?

I think so.

#4 5 years ago

I have had both and liked both. For TFTC, it is a neat theme (I recall the Crypt Keeper from when I was a child) and some interesting shots, but for many the Keeper's cackle really gets on their nerves (I did not mind it so much). For RFM, I really enjoyed it and liked the uniqueness of having a CRT with a pinball machine.

Of the two, RFM lasted much longer and I only moved it for an AFM. Also, for what it is worth, it was harder to move TFTC than it was RFM, thus the TFTC theme is not for everyone.

Both are fine pins, in my opinion, but I would go with RFM before TFTC if I was to buy again. As for price, $2500 is about right for a nice RFM, but I agree it is high for a TFTC (maybe $2000?).

#5 5 years ago

RFM is the better buy

#6 5 years ago

I think RFM is up on my list of games to get soon.. TFTC I try to talk myself into it but the laughing talks me out of it.

get the RFM.. cant imagine you loosing anything on that deal

#7 5 years ago

As far as the deal goes, RFM is a better buy. As you know, I own both. Both are really fun, RFM is quite a bit easier than TFTC. Tales rules are deeper. I think $ 2500 for Tales is high, unless it's mint, about $500-700 high. Good luck with your choice. Let us know which one you get.

#8 5 years ago

They are both a little high - I love my RFM. Play it more then any pin I have. My game has over 14,000 plays on it (from operator). Outside of a little bit of work its held up great. Its not a perfect game for a collection of one - but few games are

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Both cleaned and shopped with new rubbers, lights, etc. In the case of the RFM, new side decals and a new WG monitor have also been installed. Both sellers are asking almost the same amount (~$2500). Which is the better buy? Which is the better pin? Advice and opinions welcome.

Seems high like everyone has been saying but that has been the price I have seen for the ones in good condition. Does it have LED’s already installed and any pictures? I have been looking for one locally but no luck so I can avoid the extra shipping cost and try not to over pay for this game. If this is in great home use only maybe we could work a deal if you pick up RFM and I go after the TFTC to help you out. As far as my opinion I just don’t like the pinball 2000 games compared to other games you can get for $2,500.

#10 5 years ago

Way too high on the TFTC. I sold a VERY nice one for much less than that. I can't comment on RFM as I've never played one.

For what it's worth, I don't like TFTC much because the two most important shots (Tombstone and start mode hole) need to be hit with the upper flipper. I don't like having the most regular shots being taken from a 3rd or 4th flipper. You CAN hit one of them with the lower flipper, but it's a tough shot. Take that for what it's worth (not much! )

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

Way too high on the TFTC. I sold a VERY nice one for much less than that. I can't comment on RFM as I've never played one.
For what it's worth, I don't like TFTC much because the two most important shots (Tombstone and start mode hole) need to be hit with the upper flipper. I don't like having the most regular shots being taken from a 3rd or 4th flipper. You CAN hit one of them with the lower flipper, but it's a tough shot. Take that for what it's worth (not much! )

Yes I agree you had a nice one for sure. Interesting as well in regards to hitting the important shots, maybe my opinion will change since I have not played it since 95/96 which is another reason why its hard to buy without playing it first.

#12 5 years ago

Here's the RFM:

5H75R05Je3Gc3Me3J4c9dc3bce565e57012d9..jpg

#13 5 years ago

On other sites that people rate pins they claim that RFM is too repetitive. Isn't any machine? Its not like the ramps move around or anything like that. Each game has the same shots over and over. That being said, I love mine. The art is great, the monitor is a cool part of the game and it has good humor. I would not want a monitor in every game, but its nice to add something differant into a lineup. Out of all my machines it seems to be the easiest to work on. Other than the weight issue, it breaks down pretty easily and it seems to be extremely well made. One thing to consider is that the playfield glass is half mirrored and if you break it it can be very expensive to replace. Never played TFTC but I have seen some with an asking price of $1800.00.

#14 5 years ago

The RFM looks great! So what I would look for is have him open the CPU case - is the fan / power supply new? Any failing capacitors. Thats the common issue with these games.

#15 5 years ago

The RFM looks great! So what I would look for is have him open the CPU case - is the fan / power supply new? Any failing capacitors. Thats the common issue with these games.

No idea, but he states:

"The computer has been completely tested and updated to the latest software."

And here is a pic of the underside of the playfield (kinda):

5Ef5K95F33M23L33N6c9dc6a166f0ff31155f..jpg

#16 5 years ago

I've not been sent any pics of the TFTC yet, so I have nothing to really look at or post for comparison.

#17 5 years ago

Don't let the fact that its October and scary monsters are in season sway your decision.. Go try that rfm and if its fully working buy it and play it

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from stevedave:

Don't let the fact that is October and scary monsters are in season sway your decision.. Go try that rfm and if its fully working buy it and play it

Oh I'm pretty close to just grabbing it at this point. But my wife is set on a TFTC. We'll see if I can sway her.

#19 5 years ago

RFM is fun but between the 2 games I prefer TFTC I guess I'm in the minority but RFM lost its fun after awhile. Shoot targets hit raised ramp repeat. The callouts are great and the game is fitted well for beginners to average and on route. If you do go that route the updated code is big help in this game be sure to check that, and friends say the LCD monitor looks really sharp.
TFTC meanwhile has a lot going for it in a home collecting...all pending you dig the crypt keeper because he is in there a lot.
Shaker motor
Stackable modes
Uv art on the pf
Factory topper (hope for $2500 that one has it)
Awesome animation (chain sawing heads in half!)
Finally a rated R pinball machine!

But always go with what you want to play, both are fun games.
Best of luck

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Oh I'm pretty close to just grabbing it at this point. But my wife is set on a TFTC. We'll see if I can sway her.

In also going to vote for tftc. The third flipper makes for some tight shots. The shaker is well integrated. I've owned Rfm twice and it gets boring pretty fast. Tftc is holding my interest longer.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

In also going to vote for tftc. The third flipper makes for some tight shots. The shaker is well integrated. I've owned Rfm twice and it gets boring pretty fast. Tftc is holding my interest longer.

at $2500.. RFM is the better choice.. than TFTC at $2500

if TFTC were priced better then TFTC is the right option.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from stevedave:

at $2500.. RFM is the better choice.. than TFTC at $2500
if TFTC were priced better then TFTC is the right option.

My thoughts as well. If we were talking TFTC at $1500 and RFM at $2500, I can see TFTC being the better value. I just don't see TFTC being a $2500 pin yet. Hell, CFTBL was selling at $2500 not too long ago and I'd consider that a much more high end pin than TFTC, but the way pin prices have been inflating lately I don't know what to believe anymore.

#23 5 years ago

I have owned both and sold both. I miss TFTC.

AFM > RFM

TFTC > RFM

IMO

#24 5 years ago

if TFTC can be had under 2 grand i'd go for the crypt

#25 5 years ago

If I had to choose, it would be TFTC for me.

#26 5 years ago

Revenge From Mars. I like the theme better.

#27 5 years ago

Are RFM's seriously commanding $2.5k now?

Unless it's super minty, $2.2k has always seemed to be the ceiling on these. I got mine a few years ago with a totally updated computer (all capacitors and power supply replaced), brand new monitor and recently shopped game for less than people are saying the TFTC is worth. I know that some pins have inflated quite a bit, but that seems pretty high to me.

If you have to have one and you don't care about potentially losing money, try them both out. If it is a one pin collection, you will tire of RFM faster than you will tire of TFTC. It gets it's reputation as being repetitive because you play through either one set of three, or another set of three modes to start the game *every single time*. To me, SWE1 is actually the less repetitive game as you can pick from like 6 or so modes at any given point in time, and they change as you repeat.

Having said that, mine ain't goin' anywhere. But, it sits in a line up of five where it is, and there are another 10 or so within not too far of a distance...

#28 5 years ago

Goatdan, You bought yours a couple of years ago. If you haven't noticed, a lot of pins (most of them) have gone up in price since then.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Goatdan, You bought yours a couple of years ago. If you haven't noticed, a lot of pins (most of them) have gone up in price since then.

Yes, and in case you haven't noticed, I mentioned that $2.2k always seems to be the price ceiling on these. I haven't seen any around here sell for more than that lately, so $2.5k for one with a "tested" computer seems surprisingly high to me, even in today's market.

Maybe the game is in immaculate condition, but I can't really tell from the pictures that far away. Unless it was minty, even in "today's market", it just seems surprisingly high. I think that eBay's prices are usually over-inflated when stuff sells on there - a combination of buyers that can't wait, and sellers who need to cover their fees - and the last two on there had a bunch of upgrades (including one with NuCore) and they sold around that price. I know of one that sat a couple months ago for I think $3000... and it had a SWE1 kit with it.

Again, $2.5k seems high. $2.2k, in today's market, seems like it should be more in line unless it's immaculate.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

My thoughts as well. If we were talking TFTC at $1500 and RFM at $2500, I can see TFTC being the better value. I just don't see TFTC being a $2500 pin yet. Hell, CFTBL was selling at $2500 not too long ago and I'd consider that a much more high end pin than TFTC, but the way pin prices have been inflating lately I don't know what to believe anymore.

Can you have the seller PM me pictures or post them up? What was the condition on the TFTC? Just curious to see if they want $2,500 so I know for future when I try to find one close by in my area.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yes, and in case you haven't noticed, I mentioned that $2.2k always seems to be the price ceiling on these. I haven't seen any around here sell for more than that lately, so $2.5k for one with a "tested" computer seems surprisingly high to me, even in today's market.
Maybe the game is in immaculate condition, but I can't really tell from the pictures that far away. Unless it was minty, even in "today's market", it just seems surprisingly high. I think that eBay's prices are usually over-inflated when stuff sells on there - a combination of buyers that can't wait, and sellers who need to cover their fees - and the last two on there had a bunch of upgrades (including one with NuCore) and they sold around that price. I know of one that sat a couple months ago for I think $3000... and it had a SWE1 kit with it.
Again, $2.5k seems high. $2.2k, in today's market, seems like it should be more in line unless it's immaculate.

RFM is an easy sell at $2500, a reasonable sell at $2800 if it's pretty clean.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

RFM is an easy sell at $2500, a reasonable sell at $2800 if it's pretty clean.

+1, and this one has new cab decals and a monitor. The TFTC is about $500 high, depending on contition. Good luck with your choice, and don't forget to post pics of which ever one you get.

Bill

#33 5 years ago

+1, and this one has new cab decals and a monitor. The TFTC is about $500 high, depending on contition. Good luck with your choice, and don't forget to post pics of which ever one you get.
Bill

For sure Bill. Since I never got pics of the TFTC, maybe you can tell me how nice it looks when you go to the IA party.

#34 5 years ago

Oh, is that the one? That's my old one. Justin is working on it. It's worth more than the average TFTC then. He does outstanding work, you won't be dissapointed. If you buy it, I can haul it back for you.

On a side note, I've always wanted a RFM. I ended up getting it. You saw it. I love the game, and will keep it, but as people have stated above, you get bored with it fast. I thought it wouldn't happen to me, as this was close to a "grail" pin for me, but it did. RFM is a fun game, and when you play it, you leave it thinking that was fun. When you finish TFTC, you leave it thinking one more game, I almost made it to crypt jam. For me, TFTC has more staying power/fun factor.

Hope this helps with the tough decision. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Post edited by ThePostmaster : Adding info

I will say, my old TFTC is a great playing game. My new one is prettier, but my old one played better.

#35 5 years ago

I got my RFM for $2400 including shipping and it was in great shape. No PF wear, no broken plastics, came with everything that was originally shipped with the game likes extra slings, cords etc. The cab was in near perfect condition. Everything worked 100%. I have seen some companies ask between 3 and 4.5K for machines. Same price range with ebay. I never seem to get bored with RFM. Then again, I could play ANY pin all day long.

#36 5 years ago

I own a TFTC and love it!!! RFM is on my short list of games that I want. I don't think you can go wrong with either pin.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I got my RFM for $2400 including shipping ...

I'll now ask the one worded question: "When ?"

#38 5 years ago

I paid 3.2K for an HUO one recently. A little high but its in immaculate condition. Just a great game all around. A little repetitive but the humor and uniqueness of it definitely keeps me coming back and I dont regret buying it at all. Its been a huge hit for the family as well. 3D pinball! Ive never owned a TFTC but put a bit of time on it a few times. Fun game but not one I would go out of my way to have in the collection. RFM is a keeper in my collection. Also great I can swap out the PF and have SWE1 and have another pin for a while. Total cost for me with HUO RFM and HUO SWE1 PF was 4.2K and Im really digging them. RFM has been creeping up in price and I honestly haven seen many go for less than 2.8K lately. Same could be said for TFTC though. 2.5 is still high for it. They can be had for sub 2K. Best of luck to you! Its a tough life when you have to choose between which pinball you want to buy!

#39 5 years ago

You bought yours a couple of years ago. If you haven't noticed, a lot of pins (most of them) have gone up in price since then.

I know the price of pins has gone up across the board, but I honestly think the Pinball 2000 games are the exception. When I bought both of my machines two years ago, I think it was the peak of the market. Nucore had recently come out, and there was a new found interest in these games. Since then, prices have not only flattened, but SWE1 has probably even gone down in value. I couldn't sell a mint one that looked like it just came out of the box for $3K. Now that Nucore is no longer being made, some people are afraid to touch these games. I personally think this fear is unwarranted, but it exists nonetheless.

For what it's worth, I just sold my HUO RFM and HUO SWE1 the other day for $5,500. I'm not sure exactly what the breakdown is, but $3,000 for the RFM and $2,500 for the SWE1 seems about right. My RFM was virtually mint and had a bunch of mods. Prior to listing the games together, I had the RFM listed by itself for $3,500 and didn't have a single person inquire about it.

#40 5 years ago

To answer your question NewPinOwner, (since I'm not sure how to quote someone,) August 14 2012.

#41 5 years ago

Phet,

Did you decide what your getting yet.

#42 5 years ago

TFTC is awesome game, but so is RFM. I love RFM because of PK2k. 2500 for TFTC is a little high, but RFM is about right for a nice one.

#43 5 years ago

Nope. TFTC guy was set on getting $2500 with no pics, I countered at 2Gs and never heard back. RFM guy was dead set on $2650, I offered an even $2500 and again, never heard back (at least I had pics though). So, both deals are either still up in the air or they're both dead in the dirt. When is this Iowa party?

#44 5 years ago

Iowa party starts a week from Wednesday and lasts until that sunday.

http://pinside.com/pinball/events/tgs-tees-and-tilts-pinvitational2012

Also, search for the word Pinvitational on pinside and you should be able to find some threads.

#45 5 years ago

The days of $1500 TFTCs are long gone.
I doubt you will find a decent player for any less than $2k.

It took me over a year to find a decent example.
I passed on a beat up project for $1600 and ended up finding a decent one missing a couple original parts for $2100.

As the demand for this game only continues to climb, expect prices to as well.
On another note, TFTC looks great next to my other favorite Borg (TRON), and has a very similar playfield layout ... 20 years later...

tftc.JPG

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

To answer your question NewPinOwner, (since I'm not sure how to quote someone,) August 14 2012.

Wow, you got an awesome deal.

You quote by hitting the "quote" hypertexted link. Look at your name, then scan your eyes directly to the right. You'll see how long ago your message was posted, then you'll see "Quote" in hypertext letters. Click on that, and the forum will automatically do it for you. Then you can respond .

Quoted from Phetishboy:

Nope. TFTC guy was set on getting $2500 with no pics, I countered at 2Gs and never heard back. RFM guy was dead set on $2650, I offered an even $2500 and again, never heard back (at least I had pics though). So, both deals are either still up in the air or they're both dead in the dirt. When is this Iowa party?

That's because you were not there with cash in hand. I nearly 100% guarantee you down to my last bottom nickel if you'd been there with $2500 = SOLD. People are tough negotiators over the internet, but when they see those $100 bills, they become as flexible as Gumby in the July Arizona sun.

Quoted from movingpictures:

The days of $1500 TFTCs are long gone.
I doubt you will find a decent player for any less than $2k.
....As the demand for this game only continues to climb, expect prices to as well.

/sarcasm

But...but...but.....just the DE stamp on the machine alone should keep it at like $1200 - everyone knows that.

/end sarcasm

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

I doubt you will find a decent player for any less than $2k

I just sold a game much nicer than a 'decent player' for that price.

#48 5 years ago

I own both and feel TFTC is the better game. But I'd never pay $2,500 for one.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

....I'd never pay $2,500 for one.

I'm sure some people said that about WH2O too .

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'm sure some people said that about WH2O too .

Very true.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside