IMG_7010.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG
IMG_7004.JPG
IMG_7000.JPG
photo.JPG
RFM.jpg
vidampconn.jpg
drinks.jpeg
Ducksan_CGM-1301_monitor_repair.pdf (PDF preview)
RFM_Video_Hookup.jpg
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1039.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Here are the photos of the connection at the amp. I spliced into the existing cable so the connection at the monitor is original.
IMG_7010.JPGIMG_7010.JPGIMG_7016.JPGIMG_7016.JPG

#52 10 years ago

Okay, the photos look right but I have a question...did you splice the horizontal and vertical sync wires into one before screwing into the terminal block at the amp? I usually see pictures with both sync wires attached to the sync terminal of the amp.

#53 10 years ago

Based on these photos, the two sync wires (pins 7 andgo to separate terminals on the amp (terminals 6 and 4, respectively), which is what I did. That being said, I see now that pins 9 and 10 from the monitor should both go to ground on the amp (terminal 5), but I only did one. Would that make enough of a difference?

Something to check tonight.27789[1].jpg27789[1].jpg27790-i[1].jpg27790-i[1].jpg

#54 10 years ago

the 2nd photo refers to cutting the tiny trace separating the 2 half circles for horizontal and vertical sync on the board. did you do that as well?

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I see now that pins 9 and 10 from the monitor should both go to ground on the amp (terminal 5), but I only did one. Would that make enough of a difference?
Something to check tonight.

You're right, the sync wiring on the amp looks correct if you have yellow and white wires going into both of the sync terminals on the monitor pcb. Give the ground wire issue a shot. Don't know if it will fix your image issues but it's definitely worth trying.

Quoted from j_m_:

the 2nd photo refers to cutting the tiny trace separating the 2 half circles for horizontal and vertical sync on the board. did you do that as well?

It looks like from his photos that he did cut the trace correctly.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

It looks like from his photos that he did cut the trace correctly.

no. both images are from another forum post from a french user that have been floating around for well over a year. the 2nd one points out that you need to cut the trace between the 2 halves of the circle. hence, the french text in the image

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

no. that image is from another forum post that have been floating around for well over a year showing you that you need to cut the trace between the 2 halves of the circle. hence, the french text in the image

The images I was referring to are the two in the first post at the top of this page. Those, I believe are pictures of his amp.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

The images I was referring to are the two in the first post at the top of this page. Those, I believe are pictures of his amp.

Correct

#59 10 years ago

ah, I skipped over those. yep, the cut looks there. I would check it with a continuity settings on a multi-meter to be sure, but if that's the case, his problem might at the other end where he stated that he didn't tie ground to both pins 9 and 10

#60 10 years ago

Yep, grounding both pins did the trick - everything's looking lovely!

#61 10 years ago

Awesome! Glad you were able to track this one down. Enjoy a great game.

2 months later
#62 10 years ago

Posting to follow easily. I'll mention here that not all VGA cables are created equal. I have the Duck monitor and I'll be sure to try a few different VGA cables before pulling the 5v from the PSU. Perhaps this has been a cabling issue all along.

7 months later
#63 9 years ago

Hi all!

I just did the mod with all this info from this thread. I also have a Ducksan monitor but I was lucky to have 5V in the VGA signal cable so need for this extra work. To install the hardware was about 20 min total and I got picture first time.

I have the problem though that the colors, I think contrast, is to "high". The colors are smeared a bit. I did not yet jump the transistor R4 on control board and as I understand this is for being ablt to control brightnes lower than without jumping it. I do not think I need lower brightnes as I have, and had before the mod, very good black levels...

So adjusting the contrast to lowest setting from front "easy to reash" controlpanel is not enough. I know there are other controls on the chassie PCBs. A little scary due to high voltage so I would like to mess as little as possible with this controls. Could anyone help me out to wich control knob to start mess with? On the flyback there are 2 control knobs, one marked Focus and the other Screen I believe. Is someone of this also like affecting contrast ?

#64 9 years ago

Just if someone else have the same issues i can now report back that i did the bypass of r4 and indeed this made the day. Icwas able to turn up the screen control more on the flyback and with r4 bridged be able to turndown for blackness..

Same results as everyone else. Great pic!!

3 years later
#65 6 years ago

Hi. I also have a Duckscan an wanna make a new Connector with Wires. Someone can say me what Type of Connectir i need? Maybe a link to a shop? And what type of wires? On my AMP i have the 5V. I don‘t know why.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-video-amp-install-advise-ducksan/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.