You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
compare.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Well, since the whirlwind sold before I could look at it, I am searching again.
A short drive from me in Ames Iowa,KD game room has about 20 pins for sale and one of them is RFmars.
From what I have read everything tells me to stay away from these type of games, but I keep telling myself this looks cool.
I don't mind working on my current pins, but you do need parts when they do break and that's why I am a little reluctant.
I have searched past posts on this but they appear to be 2yrs old so I was wondering if its even less likely to get parts that normally fail.years ago I bought an upright Battle Zone arcade machine that never worked again when I finally got it down stairs, no one or myself could get it to work and I don't want that type of situation again.Also if anybody knows, does the back box come off? I have low head clearance at the bottom of stairs and this thing looks tall and cumbersome.
Also @ $3495.00 seems awful high from what I see older posts 2 years ago @1500 being the norm.
Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Back box comes off.
All of these old pieces of hardware can break. Hopefully, they can be fixed. Sometimes, they can not.
RFM is a great game.

#3 11 years ago

I would agree - $3495 seems very, very high.

#4 11 years ago

$3500 for a nice RFM doesn't seem too unreasonable with today's prices. If you ever want to get a Batlezone (which is one of my favorite video games) you should consider a MAME unit as the electronics would be current and one cabinet can play a multitude of games.

#5 11 years ago

IMHO, RFM is THE funniest pinball there is, without question. Well worth picking up.

Agreed though that $3500 is high. You should be able to find a decent one under $3K.

Later,
EV

P.S. The backbox comes off FAR easier than any other SS pin. Three or four connectors, and four bolts, and it's off. Supremely simple.

#6 11 years ago

I am in your area of the country, $3500 is WAY too high. Sold a RFM/SWE1 combo about a year ago, had to keep dropping the price, finally sold at $2800. RFM around here is $2k give or take a couple hundred.

Plus they're heavy as hell and get old quickly, but that's beside the point. If you like RFM you should get one, but don't pay anywhere near $3500.

#7 11 years ago

Yes RFM is fun... there are plenty of parts from usual vendors.. including new decals if you want to dress it up..
BTW, see my below post.. I have a SWEP1 and RFM pf set up with NUCOR and LCD that I think is better value than what you're looking at.. it may be too far of a drive.
I'm wanting to sale it pretty bad... I'll throw in a set of RFM decals with the set too!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-pb2000-w-nucorelcd-swep1-cabinet-w-rfm-and-swep1-pf

Take a look

#8 11 years ago

Revenge from Mars is a great game! Don't let other's opinions deter you away from it. Some will throw it under the bus as it is not a "traditional" pinball but it is a sweet machine with some cool history. (See the documentary "Tilt") I bought mine from a great guy, Mike in Alabama and it was a HUO play field but the guy who was the original owner before him had a cleaning lady come by and long story short, bleach does not mix well with the cabinet decals. I have found every part I have needed, upgraded the software, new buttons, new decals, t-molding and with less than $450 into it, this baby is kickin! For a serious pinball player it is fun for the first couple hundred play and then some, and for newbies/kids/moderate pinball players they will love it as it is something unique. I find my girl friend playing on it whenever I have it on and her and pinball get along like oil and water. It's a 'fun for the whole family' type of pin so if you find a good deal on it, purchase it!

#9 11 years ago

RFM is one of my favorites. It's a great game, despite all the naysayers.

#10 11 years ago

If I had to rate it personally, I'd put in as one of the top 2...

It's better than AFM, to me..

#11 11 years ago

i have to agree with the last two. it is a great game. the modes are hilarious, the call outs are funny (bill clinton, mortal kombat, the horrible accents for italians, french, rednecks, etc). when nonpinball people come over they either play that or SWE1.

i would say get one if you can, but that $3500 seem high. they come up from time to time.

#12 11 years ago

Usual standard listed price is $2800....so maybe a little less than that.

It is a very fun game, and funny as all hell. It's not as good a AFM though, not close. But hey, most of us don't have that kind of ca$h to spend on AFM so RFM would be great.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks for the input.
Not sure what I can actually get this for and all the reading I have done about nucor,LED replacement of the monitor and backing up software.I would like to have it to the point where most issues with this type of pin problems have been addressed or can be fairly easily.
Don't know if the price at 35 is firm.Havent heard back.
I have received some pm's from members here about sale ones they have, but quite a distance away.
Seems like this type of monster needs its own forum such as the old school xbox,ps2 chip modding.
Which by the way I haven't done !

#14 11 years ago

rajung I'm going to tell you to walk away from this one. $3500 FIRM is not worth it. Way over.
Move to the next one

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's not as good a AFM though, not close.

Opinions are great things.

#16 11 years ago

I agree with most here. RFM is great fun. I personally like the Pinball2000 concept. The engineering was second to none. So many good ideas in the platform.

Like others also, I think $3500 is too high. I have seen less than that for a HUO RFM with SWE1 kit. So be patient, you'll find one you like at a good price. Don't rush to buy one just because you like it. I am certain your patience will be rewarded.

My Pinball 2000 is the most played machine when people are over by far. Great for pinball players and non pinball players alike!

And don't fall into the "the playfield is way smaller than other pinball machines." That argument works for Safecracker, not RFM. See pic

Chris

compare.jpgcompare.jpg

#17 11 years ago

I have been looking for a RFM for about 6 months. I've been hoping to get a routed one for under $3k but its hard to find them for that price without them being totally broken. If its running then they are always listed at $3k or higher from what I've found.

#18 11 years ago

I recently got an absolutely gorgeous one for $2400, but it was from a local pinsider. A local billiards shop has had one on the floor for about 6 months now at $3600 and the martians don't work, half the lights are out, and it is highly scratched up. I love the game, and it isn't leaving my house except maybe to swap out with my parents since they have 3 machines and we have 2. We didn't take the back off when we hauled it, but did take out the playfield for less weight then strapped the cabinet down very well onto the bed of the truck with legs off. I haven't had a problem with mine and it has all original parts.
It is the favorite of anyone coming over, and since I played the heck out of JP when it was the only machine from June-Nov, it is getting a rest while I play Revenge. It is super easy to work on, and I think it is gorgeous and a ton of fun. I've never played a AFM, but easily think that RFM should be a top ranked machine. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 11 years ago

RFM is a great game. Very common for routed ones to have insert chipping issues so be aware of that.

I have not been price checking them lately but have noticed that fewer seem to be available recently.

#20 11 years ago

RFM is a great pinball and it's not to hard to find great deals on them.

$2,400 for a gorgeous example is an uncommonly good deal. I recently picked up a gorgeous example w/ a clear-coated PF, LED's and upgraded audio for $3,000. Everything about it is mint...cabinet looks like it just came out of the box.

It's fairly easy, very funny, and loaded with technology. I have a 13 pin collection, and it's a nice "go to" pin for just having fun. Not a chop buster like AC/DC

#21 11 years ago

I paid $2400 for a RFM in beautiful condition. It is very easy to break down and take apart but it does weigh a ton.

#22 11 years ago

Best P2K ever.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

P.S. The backbox comes off FAR easier than any other SS pin. Three or four connectors, and four bolts, and it's off. Supremely simple.

I had the "pleasure" of taking mine off today (I sold it) and we were putting it in the car of the new owner. It's pretty easy, but in addition to the above, there is a ground cable that must also be detached before removal. We found that out the hard way as we almost pulled it out when trying to remove the back box.

#25 11 years ago

RFM is a fantastic game and even better with NUCORE and an LCD in it : )

#26 11 years ago

Awesome game, I will agree that $3,500 is way too high. Pretty much fell for the propganda piece that is "Tilt", and had to have one shortly after watching it. I broke my $1,000 rule with RFM, but it was worth it. Just know that right now, NuCore is not an option if the machine doesn't already come with it. The old PC can be fixed, so you'll be fine either way. If you entertain people alot, it is a great "gateway" pin, and since pinball still hasn't evolved since 1996, most people think it's a new game!

#27 11 years ago

I love my RFM, definatly better than SWE1, gives the lineup some diversity, and always a favorite at parties...

#28 11 years ago

Great game, and better than AFM in my opinion, but $3500 is a bit high. I'm going to list one here shortly...

#29 11 years ago

RFM is great. You can find parts if you need them. I had one I modded to the max and the full ep1 kit. Original CPU and CRT but upgraded CPU, ram and added a video amp. Sold it a year ago for 4800.00 but a nice RFM should be around 2800.00 now. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Ep1 kit if you are considering it later. Not enough game there.

#30 11 years ago

Well I haven't heard back after emailing this place here in Iowa,So I might just dump them from my list .I am not in the mood for co. that checks emails once a week, too me that says a lot in this day of internet communication.If they have a web site and contact info I would think they monitor it closely when it comes to sales.
But hey, this is Iowa, and not the potato state.
Thanks again for all the info I have been getting,So now I know the nucor PC update is out of the question if it doesnt have it already.
Can the monitor still be upgraded to a LCD or LED though?
I did install last year, a 9 pin serial port in one of my open slots on my windows 7 64bit pc to run a Seeburg Juke box wall mount selector through my computer if that helps in backing up any software for this era Pinball since I read an older pc would be needed such as the famous XP version or win98.And maybe I am worrying too soon and have no idea and WTF I am talking about.
Anyway I am starting to lean in this direction as far as my next pin due to the novelty of it.
I am a sucker for anything out of the norm, hence my avatar ^^
I narrowed it down for the moment to Dirty Harry or RFM.
Any more info to help me out is greatly appreciated as far as decision making.
Thanks again all!

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I had the "pleasure" of taking mine off today (I sold it) and we were putting it in the car of the new owner. It's pretty easy, but in addition to the above, there is a ground cable that must also be detached before removal. We found that out the hard way as we almost pulled it out when trying to remove the back box.

Same thing happened to me when I sold mine. Disconnected all the cables, but almost forgot about the ground. IIRC, you have to unscrew a little wingnut.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from rajung:

Yes. You can use an LCD display without Nucore. You'll need a converter and a mounting bracket. Rob Anthony sells them.

#33 11 years ago

K&D is a op and I am guessing they are busy. Best to call and talk to them. If you are in DSM look me up and you can bang on my RFM.

#34 11 years ago

Thanks for the offer chrizg
What does the acronym op stand for?
45 years ago that meant something way different I assume when I was a kid.

#35 11 years ago

Op is Operator. They route equipment.

$2300 sounds more correct to me for a working one all by itself unless it is ultra mint. It went up, but I don't think it went up *that* much. I know that it was a different time, but I got a nice one with a brand new monitor, as well as a NOS playfield to swap into mine for less than $2300 total about three and a half years ago now.

A project one was just listed on here for $1900. Guy said the monitor was out. Seems like a fair deal.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from rajung:

Why? If the monitor is working ok you're better off with the CRT. LCDs so far can't match CRTs for black level. With LCDs, you can see the edge of the screen which diminishes the holographic effect.

#37 11 years ago

2800-3200 in very good condition if it has LCD and upgraded brain to nucore.

As far as the gameplay I was pleasently suprised. If you do not mind a somewhat linear ruleset that leads you through the modes and ultimately the game I think it is a winner. That is honestly the only thing about the game that bugged me. I really liked the P2K troubleshooting software the self awareness is very cool. I like my AFM a ton more but this game was very fun and would not have sold if it were not for an oppurtunity to get a new stern title.

Just my honest thoughts

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

If the monitor is working ok you're better off with the CRT.

Something I'm curious on, actually - my Ms. Pac-Man (vid) that I got has a sort of darker "shield" over the game's monitor. It is tinted enough that you can't see any burn in that the monitor has, and it makes all of the areas nice and dark, but still very clear for the images. If you take off the shield, you can tell that the monitor has seen better days.

I have a CRT in my RFM and no intentions to swap it any time soon since it was NOS when I got it. Is there any product like whatever this was on my Ms. Pac-Man for LCDs to do the same effect? It's the only shield like this that I have ever seen, but it seems like a very simple solution...

#39 11 years ago

I heard back from the co.
They said the monitor was upgraded to a LCD.
No mention of the CPU, so I have to assume its still the original.
Still on route until a buyer wants it.Should be getting some pictures this week end.They are unsure of playfield plastics condition.
end of Feb. to be shopped and ready for shipment
What is the insert chipping issues that whysnow refereed to ?
Something tells me to stay with some members here that have one F/S
thanks

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Same thing happened to me when I sold mine. Disconnected all the cables, but almost forgot about the ground. IIRC, you have to unscrew a little wingnut.

Exactly correct Brian, there is a wingnut under the cab. It was very easy to remove once we were aware of it!

Some of the design elements of the Pin2000 system are pretty damn awesome.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.