• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PinJer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a RFM pinball and wanted to find a way(s) that you could upgrade the rom version that I have (1.0), to the most recent 1.5/1.6, with out having to go out and purchase a 12 year old laptop, cable, upload manager, etc Is there such a way to go around it without paying an arm and a leg or even better, some one who lives around the Orlando, FL area that would be willing to help me out for a small fee? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 11 years ago

My friend that works for quad graphics has that older laptop with windows 98 or whatev op system they recommend with the null modem cable, I thought it was a 9 pin, I'd bet any service guy in your area may have one or another pinsider, best of luck!

heres a Q for you tech junkies, does it need to be an older window op system or can I just update a p2k on my newer macbook?

#3 11 years ago

Find someone with a PUB card and do it using that.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

Thanks guys! I am hoping someone around central florida can help me out. I will ask my local tech when I get the silk screen graphics put on if he has the equipment/versions.

#5 11 years ago

I need this for mine too. Anyone in SoCal that can help out?

#6 11 years ago

I would also consider paying for shipping/use if someone had a cpu with the Rom upgrades and cables to install it, ship it to me and I immediately ship it back? I know it would be a shot in the dark, but thought I would try?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from PinJer:

I would also consider paying for shipping/use if someone had a cpu with the Rom upgrades and cables to install it, ship it to me and I immediately ship it back? I know it would be a shot in the dark, but thought I would try?

I could send you a desktop computer that has the upgrade and a cable but you would need a monitor....... earliest I could ship it would be next Weds.

Let me know if that helps.

Chris near Chicago

#8 11 years ago

I just updated mine from 1.2 to 1.5 last night. My brother had an ancient and working Dell laptop with win2K installed. If it were mine, I'd offer to send it around the country to help everyone out... Might still be able to do that.. Let me ask him...

#9 11 years ago

I have a PUB card but it has 1.4 on it I believe. I dont know how to update the PUB though. Anyone know how to do that?

#10 11 years ago

Hello,
I Just got an RFM last weekend as well. I managed to update the software to 1.5 using a Dell laptop with Windows XP. Laptop does not have a DB9 serial port. I used a USB port. I purchased the following cable from Amazon.

StarTech.com 1 Port USB to Null Modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI, Black (ICUSB232FTN ) Link follows:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Installed the software that came with it set port to Com1. First time I tried it did not work. So dug out a pc running windows 98 and tried that with a serial null modem cable.

StarTech.com 10-Feet DB9 RS232 Serial Null Modem Cable F/F (SCNM9FF) Link Follows:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B8BJ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

This did not work either. Looked inside the RFM computer box and the serial cable from the back of the RFM computer box that plugs into the motherboard was installed backwards. Changed it and both cables and computers now worked to update the software. For me both worked. Hope this helps and saves someone some time.
Happy Holidays
Andy Limerick

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from pintastic:

I have a PUB card but it has 1.4 on it I believe. I dont know how to update the PUB though. Anyone know how to do that?

Look at the changelog. As far as I recall, there is nothing useful between 1.4 and 1.5.

#12 11 years ago

Thank you very much everyone for all of the insights. Jetzxi and I have figured out a method of how were going to make this work and I can't thank him enough. I agree with you roc-noc, seems like version 1.3 had the biggest update of the entire series. After going back and checking, I am running a 0.9 version... talk about entry level, I couldn't get a ball saver to save my life.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 85.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-rom-upgrade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.