6-3-2017 9-34-27 AM (resized).jpg
My Pinballs RFM Mod (resized).jpg
IMG_3709_(resized).JPG
IMG_3861_(resized).JPG
IMG_3860_(resized).JPG
IMG_3858_(resized).JPG
IMG_3856_(resized).JPG
IMG_3701_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not sure I like the SMTs in this example.
This is one of the only cases a regular thru-hole LED looks better IMHO.

Great work but I'm with Zitt on this one. It just doesn't look right with the empty holes.

7 months later
#181 9 years ago

They look really good but I like the rounded dome like Modman did.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I put some old glass led in the holes as they looked a bit open without and they seem to diffuse the light very nicely.

What is that, got any pictures?

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from Modman:

I've been busy re-fining the aluminum saucer machining process and am about to offer some for sale. This has been no easy task and has taken many hours of experimenting as far as manufacturing these as economically as possible. But now that I see that the original maker of the light kit is now offering his version of a custom saucer,I'm a little leery2015-04-06 11.46.33.jpg (Click image to enlarge) of competing with him on his own thread. I will show some pics as to what I've come up with so far and I'll let you folks decide. They will come fully polished for a "chrome like" finish and have a green dome supplied. I've been using a clear flasher with Comets 6smd crystal fan shaped LED (in purple) in the center. The camera just can't pick up all the wonderful colors that all the Led's produce. I'm still waiting for some more green domes to show up but should be any day now.2015-04-06 11.47.59.jpg (Click image to enlarge)2015-04-06 11.49.32.jpg (Click image to enlarge)2015-04-06 11.51.59.jpg (Click image to enlarge)2015-04-06 11.56.41.jpg (Click image to enlarge)2015-04-06 12.00.47.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I really like these but where could I get a little alien to put under the dome. But then again it might not fit.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

I was thinking about this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29736
Its closer representation of the artwork on the side of the cabinet. Thoughts?

Yeah it sure is but the cost to make and light them up would be crazy I'm thinking. There just aren't games out there to support the development of another ship I think. But I really do like that design.

#201 9 years ago

Anyone put those rotating saucers on their game?

#203 9 years ago

Well I'd like to see what you come up with. What I'd like to see with yours is the low parts of the hull light up and go around, if you can picture that. Or the lights rotating on the leading edge of the ship where the circles are. But neither wouldn't be possible with his light pcb.

2 months later
#240 8 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I got my "3mm optic cable" installed. I'm not convinced that it's really any different to the rod but the effect is good. At 3mm, it's loose in the holes and I need to figure out how to secure it. There is a video here of one saucer with and one saucer without.
» YouTube video

That's a big difference if you ask me, much better. But they look to me to be sitting up to high.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Sort of intentional and partly because the lengths were a bit random. I cut the ends at an angle so that they would face the player. I tried to make the ones at the back a bit higher so that they would be seen behind the dome. There is some final adjustment to do, anyhow.

I see.

#253 8 years ago

Yes that does look better, they follow the lines of the ship now.

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Yes, that was the idea. It's not absolutely perfect as it was all done by hand/eye but I'm really happy.

You did a fine job for how many there are. Now if someone could do them with a machine then they could do a perfect job cuz they could get the repeatability only a machine can do.

#261 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

someone linked to this project could also design another shapeways part out of the frosted detail plastic option to key into the ufo top as light passes through this well.
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail-plastic?li=nav

Interesting. Do you have one of the new 3D printers that "grows" the piece out of a puddle? Is that for real?

#263 8 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

HAHA! Yeah it is definitely for real. They are called SLA 3D printers and are not that expensive. These type of printers use UV curable resin and UV lasers to create an object.
The upside to these type of printers is that they can make highly detailed, clear-ish, objects, but the downside is that over time, natural UV light will break down the part. This should not be a problem in a pinball machine though.
--Scott

I saw the vid and I said WTF.

#265 8 years ago

Crap...wish my Mom was alive to see this. She was born in 1916 so you can imagine the tech changes she had see, but this...this is like Star Trek in real life kind of stuff. Now if they could do this with metal.

9 months later
#284 8 years ago

Any hardware store will have a good selection of #8 screws

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-rgb-saucer-mod-in-development?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.