P70516-175716 (resized).jpg
P70516-145647 (resized).jpg
P70516-122413 (resized).jpg
P70516-122403 (resized).jpg
P70516-122407 (resized).jpg
P70516-122359 (resized).jpg
P70513-185306 (resized).jpg
P70512-194630 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

OK it looks cool. Where did you get the Pinbox software? My RFM works fine, it would just be nice to know a backup plan exists.

#11 6 years ago

Huh. Interesting, seems lots of work

#14 6 years ago

So any ideas about the sound breaking up when the games is played? I tried messing around with IRQs a bit and that did not help. Seems a common problem. It's pretty much a deal breaker for me if the audio can't be made to work clean.

#16 6 years ago

More like fast stuttering, similar to this video in the game play.

Audio is good when the game is started. Music is fine. Pressing the flipper buttons in attract mode - the callouts are fine. Once the ball has entered the playfield the sounds start this cutting out, stuttering. Some may call it distortion, I guess - technically this is rapid audio loss. Sometimes this is experienced on computer systems with driver problems.

The system is an HP Compaq DC5750. Onboard audio is HD audio ALC260

#20 6 years ago

I'll probably try playing around with this one a little more since it is the only one I have available at this time.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

I checked the spec of you machine and it's AMD,which is not so recommend.Try to find INTEL C2D based system.If you can find DC7800 it's the best choose for me.

I fixed the sound problem. I disabled the on board sound and installed a Creative Sound Blaster Live!, And then reinstalled the system. Audio now works perfectly on the AMD based HP Compaq.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

I'm not paranoid,just this is my work and had and still see many HDD or Mainobards dies with this type of shutdown.
And yesterday too from a client after explained me how he shutdowned his machine before come to me for repair.
May be you have the luck,I don't want to risk anything,until it's HUO machine.

You are correct to find a graceful shutdown method for this system. It's a well known fact that linux based operating systems can get file structure damage if suddenly shutdown. I have an Ubuntu based MP3 jukebox that suffered from repeated shutdowns, it really started to display some odd boot behavior: trying to repair itself. dumping me to GRUB menus and more. Eventually I had to reinstall the operating system. The original RFM operating system might have had some kind of compensation for that, and engineered to accommodate a lifetime of power switch shutdowns.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

The original RFM had no disks. It ran off of the PRISM ROMs. Its pretty safe to turn that off mid-game.

True that. Anyway, the "text book" way is a proper graceful shutdown. I know I don't always do that with my Linux systems and they rarely have any problems. My MP3 jukebox running under Ubuntu did, so it is possible. I know my family isn't going to understand or perform a procedure, they are just going to reach under the game and flip the power switch. If I ever converted to Pinbox, I'd have to engineer a solution or live with the potential for sudden shutdown damage.

As suggested, a backup clone is one idea. I wouldn't flip out over not having a solid method of elegant shutdown, but if someone has the time to work through and come up with a solution, I'm all good with it.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from robbo105:

What filesystem are you using?
Assuming ext4 with the default "data=ordered" option should not have any data integrity issues.

Probably whatever was the default settings at the time when reinstalled, which is ext4. I have not had problems with it since.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-restoration-and-pinbox-install-instruction?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.