Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 31 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P70520-155741 (resized).jpg
P70520-155411 (resized).jpg
P70520-101701 (resized).jpg
P70520-155405 (resized).jpg
P70520-101646 (resized).jpg
P70516-175722 (resized).jpg
P70516-175716 (resized).jpg
P70516-145647 (resized).jpg
P70516-122413 (resized).jpg
P70516-122403 (resized).jpg
P70516-122407 (resized).jpg
P70516-122359 (resized).jpg
P70513-185306 (resized).jpg
P70512-194630 (resized).jpg
P70513-092948 (resized).jpg
P70512-184757 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

P70505-175310 (resized).jpgAfter many tries of reinstall Ubuntu on different system(about 7) I have the one that I think is stable and the emulator work.

The system is HP DC7800 E6550/2GB/160GB
Here is how I atached the PC.
Used the original backbox wooden plate.
Use 19" LCD and made bazel for it(sorry no picture of this)
Made custom wall mount.
Use LED strip instead the original lamp for the translite(more efektive,more live,low power,lower heat,cheap) and attached it in +12v rail from the PC PSU.
Use two chains that will hold the wooden plate for future services and of course if it need to be remove the whole plate is easy.Just detach the chains.
To use original speakers bought Lepy 2x40W+1x60 RMS and PC PSU that is more efective than the recommended 12V/5A adapter(don't buy this)

The emulator.
This thing is so creazy until I do i t work correctly.
After many many tries here is the right type of the installation.Tried it on 3 different type of system to be sure that is the right method.

After the standard installation from torrent CD it go to the Fatal Error 4.Of coruse if you boot directly to the game select screen no ned to this steps.After this must be done(you must have internet connection)

sudo sed -i s/us.archive.ubuntu/old-releases.ubuntu/g /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo sed -i s/security.ubuntu/old-releases.ubuntu/g /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
May stuck on 99% at package 32,but will quit afte a while and you can continue with these commands:

sudo su
apt-get purge lxdm
mv /etc/lxdm /etc/lxdm.orig
apt-get install lxdm
cp /root/pinbox/scripts/pinbox.dekstop / etc/xdg/autostart
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox(very important line,if not the emulator will not boot directly to the game select screen)
reboot

Now the game boot to the select screen.With pressing F1 key you are in GUI and can change the boot order to RFM or SW1 from Pinbox configuration.

Printer configuration(from BIOS):
Bi-Directional
Port 378

HDD(used some partition manager of Windows):
GPT partiton

Screensaver deinstall:
sudo apt-get remove xscreensaver

Now it left only to find a way to remap or something else the power button.
I want when I press it to quit/power off the PC.
The sitaution now is this:
In Ubuntu GUI,no problem,it shut down,bet when I'm in the emulator(the game is running) nothing happen when I press it.
I must press F1 to go to GUI and after that if I press it the PC turn off normal.

The idea is if I can remap somehow power off function/button to work like F1 button.
If it was Windows,no problem,but Ubuntu is hard for me.
Any ideas?P70505-155556 (resized).jpg

P70501-105446 (resized).jpg

P70501-113221 (resized).jpg

P70501-113228 (resized).jpg

P70501-114808 (resized).jpg

P70502-162006 (resized).jpg

P70502-190443 (resized).jpg

P70502-191244 (resized).jpg

P70503-121136 (resized).jpg

P70503-132238 (resized).jpg

P70504-114110 (resized).jpg

P70505-175304 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Thank you for the useful info.

#3 2 years ago

OK it looks cool. Where did you get the Pinbox software? My RFM works fine, it would just be nice to know a backup plan exists.

#4 2 years ago

It have it like torrent file.

#5 2 years ago

I am going to have to go the Pinbox method soon on my restore and I am not looking forward to setting it up. Hopefully this info will come in handy.

Thanks

#6 2 years ago

Write me PM if you have any questions.
I will post my progress of restoration here.
Between is there some source for the insert decals?
Or I must made they?
I think I can made them,alredy did this before for SoF.

#7 2 years ago

You should be able to set up the power settings from the system bios. Have the computer boot upon power being switched on and then power the PC through the game power switch.

#8 2 years ago

I have two solutions for this thinbg.Will post it today .

#9 2 years ago

After hard fight with Ubuntu this time it win,but not so.
I just try to remap Power button to function like F1 or F1 to work like Power Button but with no luck.
The idea was with one button to turn off the PC,when you are in the emulator.
So I made the backup option-with old mechanical keybord with DIN connector to PS/2 to work on this PC.
First I was thinking that will be easy,because just solder with the Power Button,and when you press Power Button press and simultaneously F1,but this didn't make the trick,because the system form 10 tries,only 2 times shut down normaly,the others somehow it auto Power ON the PC.Looks like there was have some constant activity of the keyboard or something else.Because without F1 soldered with Power ON button,there had no problem.
And I just took F1 button from the keyboard and put it underside the cabinet next to Power Button.
And now no matter which button you will push,I just push both,no need to remember which one is,it first quit the emulators and after that with one more push both turn off the PC.
After that mount the keyboard in the backbox and mount the amplifier and PSU for it.You can see and both buttons-F1 and Power between both of them.

P70512-182225 (resized).jpg

P70512-182230 (resized).jpg

P70512-184757 (resized).jpg

P70513-092948 (resized).jpg

P70512-194630 (resized).jpg

P70513-185306 (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

Begin today to make some clean up,changed bulbs,star post,targets and rubbers.
Before and After pictures

P70516-122359 (resized).jpg

P70516-122407 (resized).jpg

P70516-122403 (resized).jpg

P70516-122413 (resized).jpg

P70516-145647 (resized).jpg

P70516-175716 (resized).jpg

P70516-175722 (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

Huh. Interesting, seems lots of work

#12 2 years ago

Does it really matter if you shut down the PC first? Why can't you just power everything down at once? Why do you need to safely shut down a Pin2000 PC?

#13 2 years ago

Because like PC expert will tell that this type of shut down,directly,it's nor good for the PC and it's Hard Drive also and for OS.
It's call stress shut down and can damage many things and of course OS sooner or latee.

#14 2 years ago

So any ideas about the sound breaking up when the games is played? I tried messing around with IRQs a bit and that did not help. Seems a common problem. It's pretty much a deal breaker for me if the audio can't be made to work clean.

#15 2 years ago

What do you mean breaking up-complete cut or something like distortion?

#16 2 years ago

More like fast stuttering, similar to this video in the game play.

Audio is good when the game is started. Music is fine. Pressing the flipper buttons in attract mode - the callouts are fine. Once the ball has entered the playfield the sounds start this cutting out, stuttering. Some may call it distortion, I guess - technically this is rapid audio loss. Sometimes this is experienced on computer systems with driver problems.

The system is an HP Compaq DC5750. Onboard audio is HD audio ALC260

#17 2 years ago

This is a more elegant solution for power up and shutdown
http://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=398

#18 2 years ago

I read for this sound problems.
Have it on Asus P5VD2 mainboard.
But with current HP DC7800 don't have it.I played several games for test.
I found these HPs for 30 US$ each,so I bought 3 PCs and install the system on them to have it for spare.It was miracle to run it on this old Ubuntu,so I don't now after a year if this will be possible anymore.
And yes someone posted that is sound driver problem and he put some old Creative Sound Blaster and it worked.

#19 2 years ago

I checked the spec of you machine and it's AMD,which is not so recommend.Try to find INTEL C2D based system.If you can find DC7800 it's the best choose for me.

#20 2 years ago

I'll probably try playing around with this one a little more since it is the only one I have available at this time.

#21 2 years ago

Ready,exept the insert decals,but I will try to make my own in near future,because I cannot find anywhere for sell.

P70520-101646 (resized).jpg

P70520-155405 (resized).jpg

P70520-101701 (resized).jpg

P70520-155411 (resized).jpg

P70520-155741 (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

I checked the spec of you machine and it's AMD,which is not so recommend.Try to find INTEL C2D based system.If you can find DC7800 it's the best choose for me.

I fixed the sound problem. I disabled the on board sound and installed a Creative Sound Blaster Live!, And then reinstalled the system. Audio now works perfectly on the AMD based HP Compaq.

#23 2 years ago

If I remember right, I added a killall Pinbox to
/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh to get my game to obey the power button.

#24 2 years ago

How to add this?Sorry,I'm not good in Ubuntu.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Because like PC expert will tell that this type of shut down,directly,it's nor good for the PC and it's Hard Drive also and for OS.
It's call stress shut down and can damage many things and of course OS sooner or latee

I have force shut down my PC in RFM and my arcade cab's for years. Just clone your hardrive if you are paranoid it may die some day. However it probably never will.

#26 2 years ago

I'm not paranoid,just this is my work and had and still see many HDD or Mainobards dies with this type of shutdown.
And yesterday too from a client after explained me how he shutdowned his machine before come to me for repair.
May be you have the luck,I don't want to risk anything,until it's HUO machine.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

I'm not paranoid,just this is my work and had and still see many HDD or Mainobards dies with this type of shutdown.
And yesterday too from a client after explained me how he shutdowned his machine before come to me for repair.

You are correct to find a graceful shutdown method for this system. It's a well known fact that linux based operating systems can get file structure damage if suddenly shutdown. I have an Ubuntu based MP3 jukebox that suffered from repeated shutdowns, it really started to display some odd boot behavior: trying to repair itself. dumping me to GRUB menus and more. Eventually I had to reinstall the operating system. The original RFM operating system might have had some kind of compensation for that, and engineered to accommodate a lifetime of power switch shutdowns.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Quoted from wayout440:

You are correct to find a graceful shutdown method for this system. It's a well known fact that linux based operating systems can get file structure damage if suddenly shutdown. I have an Ubuntu based MP3 jukebox that suffered from repeated shutdowns, it really started to display some odd boot behavior: trying to repair itself. dumping me to GRUB menus and more. Eventually I had to reinstall the operating system. The original RFM operating system might have had some kind of compensation for that, and engineered to accommodate a lifetime of power switch shutdowns.

Again personally, for many years I have been force shutting down Ubuntu and Arcade PC's without issues. So I find all of this a bit overkill. On top of that, we are talking about replacing a $10 harddrive. Just clone your harddrive and don't worry about it. But by all means, for people who want to go the extra-step and bullet proof pinbox I totally recommend it. But for people who are just getting into Pinbox, do understand this extra step is not required by any means.

#29 2 years ago

Since these are Linux machines; you could create a raspi program... or something to remote log into the machine and do a 'shutdown -hf now' command... then maybe light a LED to tell the person it's ok to turn off the switch.

Too bad... Nucore isn't opensource like it should be... because someone could likely hack a solution together if it were.
But alas... it's not to be.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The original RFM operating system might have had some kind of compensation for that, and engineered to accommodate a lifetime of power switch shutdowns.

The original RFM had no disks. It ran off of the PRISM ROMs. Its pretty safe to turn that off mid-game.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

The original RFM had no disks. It ran off of the PRISM ROMs. Its pretty safe to turn that off mid-game.

True that. Anyway, the "text book" way is a proper graceful shutdown. I know I don't always do that with my Linux systems and they rarely have any problems. My MP3 jukebox running under Ubuntu did, so it is possible. I know my family isn't going to understand or perform a procedure, they are just going to reach under the game and flip the power switch. If I ever converted to Pinbox, I'd have to engineer a solution or live with the potential for sudden shutdown damage.

As suggested, a backup clone is one idea. I wouldn't flip out over not having a solid method of elegant shutdown, but if someone has the time to work through and come up with a solution, I'm all good with it.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It's a well known fact that linux based operating systems can get file structure damage if suddenly shutdown. I have an Ubuntu based MP3 jukebox that suffered from repeated shutdowns

What filesystem are you using?

Assuming ext4 with the default "data=ordered" option should not have any data integrity issues.

I would not recommend using XFS or "data=writeback" on anything being treated as an appliance. I'm stealing a comment from https://help.marklogic.com/knowledgebase/article/View/209/0/linux-filesystem-tuning---performance-datawriteback-vs-dataintegrity-dataordered (the original discussions appears to be unavailable)

Linus Torvalds comments on 'data=writeback'

"it makes things much smoother, since now the actual data is no longer in the critical path for any journal writes, but anybody who thinks that's a solution is just incompetent. We might as well go back to ext2 then. If your data gets written out long after the metadata hit the disk, you are going to hit all kinds of bad issues if the machine ever goes down."

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from robbo105:

What filesystem are you using?
Assuming ext4 with the default "data=ordered" option should not have any data integrity issues.

Probably whatever was the default settings at the time when reinstalled, which is ext4. I have not had problems with it since.

2 years later
#34 3 days ago

(to follow)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PCB Emporium
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside