Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Reul1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I may have made a mistake. I am acquiring an RFM with no sound that the problem has been identified as a bad Prism Card. The game plays fine, display is fine, but no sound. The connectors both on the prism card and others have been exonerated. The sound amplifier board has also been checked as good.

So it appears I may need a Prism Card. Since Nucore has ceased production of their stuff it looks like RFM's and SWE1 that are broken may be stuck in limbo until either Nucore starts up again, or a white knight design using modern PC hardware resolves the problem.

The good is the cabinet is next to mint and the playfield has no wear. I may have the Prism Blues.

#2 10 years ago

http://lockwhenlit.com/ See if Rob has one.

Also keep looking and advertise for one. A box of them turned up in IPB's sale a few years back.

Check with Pinball Spare Parts in Australia too.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://lockwhenlit.com/ See if Rob has one.
Also keep looking and advertise for one. A box of them turned up in IPB's sale a few years back.
Check with Pinball Spare Parts in Australia too.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd, I will check with Rob and the Down Under folks.

Quoted from vintage4life:

One on ebay. message them a lower price. They want $500!
Ebay link

I saw this. If you read closely he is getting rid of it because it doesn't update. Price is a little steep for something not working all the way. Thank you for your response.

I would like to, but I believe he wants to sell as whole with the playfields. I will give him an email.

I will be picking the RFM tomorrow.

#6 10 years ago

Have one for sale,

Pm sent

#7 10 years ago

I have seen a software update fix a no sound problem. I have a PUB card and several spare P2000 parts if you don't have a way to update. Email me privately and let's see if we can get you fixed up without having to buy an expensive card.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Reul1:

Have one for sale,
Pm sent

I have sent a PM response. Thank you.

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

Thanks to all who responded. I just wanted to provide an update. At the time of the first post I had not yet taken possession of the RFM.

After I got the machine I determined the the prism card had a bad DSP. All of the elements associated with a bad DSP were present. Error when attempting to adjust sound level. DSP failed to init message etc. This was the same conclusion reached by a tech of the previous owner of the machine.

I acquired a working Prism board and installed it with original daughter board ROMs. Things looked up as I heard the standard Williams/Bally sound with initialization. However, game play was not consistent and there was NO sound. However the error when adjusting the sound level was gone as was the DSP init failure or I should say failure to reset.

I looked through all of the my cables in the extensive cable collection acquired over the years and could not find a null modem cable with the correct connectors. So I ordered one and it arrived today. I downloaded the update manager and the 1.5 update. The machine was operating on 1.0 and likely had many different adjustments attempted by the previous tech in attempting to resolve the sound problem.

The RFM updated to 1.5 without any problems. I was amazed at the speed that the manager program exhibited in locating the 1.5 update in the download directory. I was concerned I was going to have to relocate the zip file and unzip in a different directory. But all went well.

The game works great now. The playfield has no wear, the cabinet is close to perfect and monitor has been rebuilt (word by previous owner that means new caps.) There is one game play problem where the ball becomes trapped in the upper left part of the playfield. I suspect a missing rubber. So that's the summary and conclusion to this post.

#10 10 years ago

Congratulations !

#11 10 years ago

It's awesome when things work out well!

#12 10 years ago

congrats!

#13 10 years ago

Glad to here you got it up and running, it's a fun game, kind of miss mine. Attacking mars is the best if you can get there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-prism-card and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.