IMG_0588.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
20150126_144928_resized.jpg
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG
20150116_190815_resized.jpg
Pin 2k ST-MGXm v1.1-448.pdf (PDF preview)
Pin 2K motherboard manual 8.jpg
ST-MGXM_mama.jpg
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago

When using the original board - I seem to remember that only quite old computer monitors will work. I know I still keep one old monitor in a box for just that reason. CGA, EGA, VGA. Trying to remember what works with the RFM motherboard, I think not VGA, CGA does work, can't remember if an EGA monitor will work or not. Bottom line, unless you have a very old monitor you won't be able to display the video on an external monitor without using a video card.

#52 9 years ago

Thank so much for the reply. I have the original WG cga monitor in the machine but when I tried it the signal seemed to be only vga. Which I believe means the bios was set to vga? Anyone got a manual out there?

#53 9 years ago

I had a spare Pin2k computer and I was able to get it to POST and get most of the way installing Win98. I used an IBM 9514 14.1" LCD monitor with the motherboard's integrated video when I was setting it up. This is an older VGA LCD monitor circa 1998.

It always failed the Win98 install process because the hard drive I was using was bad and kept getting read errors. These motherboards only support smaller hard drives (can't remember the limit) and the only small drives I had were bad. But in doing this my main intent was to check that the mobo worked and would POST and at least seemed stable.

There were a few different manufacturers of the Cyrix MediaGX motherboards, mine was a Dataexpert MGX7520. BIOS version was GXM-CX5520-2A433D09C-00, V2.01 1998.12.16

Don't know if any of that helps, but that's all I've got. I've since sold the computer and motherboard assembly to a Pinsider.

#54 9 years ago

I think there should be a MIDI Board with VGA out and on board sound ports.

#55 9 years ago

With the Prism card out, you can hook up any VGA monitor and get to the BIOS screens. If you're not getting video then you either have the MIDI-board (which has the VGA connector and possibly some audio connectors, which are not used) hooked up wrong, or something is blown in the video section.

#56 9 years ago

Thanks again for the help everyone. Here are some more/close up pics of the setup. Prism card is removed as well as the com ports.

I am just trying to get a picture on an LCD as supposedly I can do with the prism card out.

(with the prism card in and the pc in the machine the game boots and plays no problem......just no video)

IMG_0527.JPGIMG_0527.JPGIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0523.JPGIMG_0523.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0528.JPGIMG_0528.JPG

Also, it may be related to the video issue (or not), but does anyone know what these jumpers do? I do not have access to a manual so any help would be awesome.

IMG_0524.JPGIMG_0524.JPG

#57 9 years ago

The first two are for setting the bus speed and clock multiplier for the CPU. The bottom is for clearing the CMOS settings back to default (not a bad idea).

#59 9 years ago

Thanks again for all the help. I will try clearing the cmos by pulling the jumper (pulled the battery but will do the jumper as well).

For sanity sake, with this motherboard, as I have it connected in the pictures and with the prism board out, I should be able to plug it into an LCD pc monitor and get a picture of the BIOS/Post screen?

If not, then the board/video section is bad?

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

For sanity sake, with this motherboard, as I have it connected in the pictures and with the prism board out, I should be able to plug it into an LCD pc monitor and get a picture of the BIOS/Post screen?
If not, then the board/video section is bad?

Yes.

Something else to consider: With the MediaGX processor, the video processing is handled by the CPU. When the CPU overheats due to improper cooling (often a problem if heatsink compound is not used between the CPU and the heatsink) the first thing to go is the video section. So it is possible that a heat-damaged CPU would not output video.
Another possibility is that the motherboard has been damaged (e.g. something fried due to plugging cables in wrong).

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

If this is an original motherboard as used in RFM, then no. The built in video on that motherboard requires an older monitor (CGA or VGA) which predated LCD monitors. When I once tried to connect a fairly old LCD monitor for troubleshooting it didn't work, instead I had to use an even older VGA monitor from the 80s.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

If this is an original motherboard as used in RFM, then no. The built in video on that motherboard requires an older monitor (CGA or VGA) which predated LCD monitors. When I once tried to connect a fairly old LCD monitor for troubleshooting it didn't work, instead I had to use an even older VGA monitor from the 80s.

I disagree. With the Prism card removed you are going to get a very standard signal that any monitor with a VGA connection will be able to display. With the Prism card in, that's a completely different story. Then it will output a 15kHz signal that most computer monitors will not handle (you need an old multi-sync monitor from the 80's).

#63 9 years ago

It has been quite a number of years since I had to do that diagnostic. Perhaps I did indeed have the PRISM card installed when hooking up the external monitor, and hence the need at the time for the very old monitor instead of a LCD.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Yes.
Something else to consider: With the MediaGX processor, the video processing is handled by the CPU. When the CPU overheats due to improper cooling (often a problem if heatsink compound is not used between the CPU and the heatsink) the first thing to go is the video section. So it is possible that a heat-damaged CPU would not output video.
Another possibility is that the motherboard has been damaged (e.g. something fried due to plugging cables in wrong).

maybe the vga board / cable is bad.

but to test it should be able to install windows with the PCI VGA card to see if the system is stable as a board with bad MB / CPU may not be able to be stable to do a install.

#65 9 years ago

The plan now is to go ahead and try to run xp with it and see what happens. I also have a new ribbon cable on order which will be delivered on tuesday. Will report back in just a little bit.

#66 9 years ago

Well XP was far too advanced for this baby so I jumped in the way back machine and dug out Win 98 SE....and my wife told me to throw out my old PC stuff

IMG_0530.JPGIMG_0530.JPGIMG_0533.JPGIMG_0533.JPG

So I am rockin 98 SE just fine. Does this mean the motherboard is fine? Any ideas would be great.

I guess if AFM does not work out I could always throw an LCD in the cab, wire in the flippers and play some sweet "SkiFree"

ski.gifski.gif

.....sigh

#67 9 years ago

with windows on there you can try the on board video with out the vga card. It may just work but no video till windows loads (new lcd's may not like the low res bios screens that the older systems put out)

#68 9 years ago

WAIT, just saw your previous post and looked at your pics where you are plugging the video header cable into the MIDI header. That won't work, MIDI is digital music. It looks like the video out header pins are the white connector underneath the RAM sockets. Do you have a manual?

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

WAIT, just saw your previous post and looked at your pics where you are plugging the video header cable into the MIDI header. That won't work, MIDI is digital music. It looks like the video out header pins are the white connector underneath the RAM sockets. Do you have a manual?

No, he's got it right. That's not a standard MIDI connector. That motherboard comes with a special "MIDI board" that plugs in there that has the VGA port on it. I used to have a copy of the manual... maybe I can dig it up.

#70 9 years ago

If you had a manual that would be awesome!

#71 9 years ago

I keep a old window 95 laptop just to use on SWEP1.

#72 9 years ago

Ok I pulled the pci video card and had no luck with the on board video

Another item of note. The prism card and the pci card do not get along. With the pci video card out, the game boots (led on the prism card flashes) just fine. With the video card in it is just a steady led and no boot.

#73 9 years ago

The Prism card has to use the onboard video provided by the MediaGX processor. No way around that.
Have you tried another CPU yet? Which speed do you have in there? Did you verify that your clock multiplier setting is correct?

#74 9 years ago

I did my update with XP, it does work. But you have to select the slowest rate on the software for the update.

This is another reason Nucore has to be an option.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I did my update with XP, it does work. But you have to select the slowest rate on the software for the update.
This is another reason Nucore has to be an option.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with updating the software on the Prism card. The OP is trying to fix his P2K motherboard (which is having issues with the onboard video).

#76 9 years ago

I won't try to absorb all of your efforts - seems very frustrating for you? If it was my machine, it would be time to call on an expert. Maybe try Rob Anthony (Borygard) at http://lockwhenlit.com/

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with updating the software on the Prism card. The OP is trying to fix his P2K motherboard (which is having issues with the onboard video).

ohhhh, he's trying to update the firmware on the bios then?

#78 9 years ago

Thanks everyone again for the help. Not trying to update anything, just trying to get the motherboard to output video via the on-board connector.

Just an update. I tried the new ribbon cable that came in and still no luck. Here is a pic of the processors I am using. I have two nos ones I tried and no luck with either for video from the board.

IMG_0540.JPGIMG_0540.JPG

mattosborn: As far as speed and clock multiplier, I think I am going to need a hand with that. Not really sure how to properly set it, but I have not touched the jumpers since receiving the board......tested working supposedly.

Also, anyone have a manual in digital format (or one they could scan) for the ST-MGXM motherboard? Would be good to have one in digital format for pin2k owners. Or is this it:

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/gct/manuals/MGXm3HB/search.html

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Also, anyone have a manual in digital format (or one they could scan) for the ST-MGXM motherboard? Would be good to have one in digital format for pin2k owners. Or is this it:

I know I used to have a copy, but I can't find it. That one you linked to is very similar (it is a later version that uses the CX5530 chipset rather than the CX5520).

When you install the CPU you need to apply heatsink compound. DO NOT reuse that old pad that was stuck between the heatsink and CPU. Throw that away and apply a thin layer of thermal grease. If you try to use that pad you will not get adequate heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink, and the CPU will eventually overheat and fail.

You have to set the motherboard jumpers for the CPU you are installing. Check the bus speed jumper first. It should be at 33MHz. Then set the clock multiplier jumpers for the CPU. Your CPU is 233MHz, so you want a multiplier of 7 (or less, but don't go higher).

#80 9 years ago

Oh thermal paste is a MUST. The one in the pic was before I installed it with a nice dab of paste so no worries.

Any ideas what the jumpers need to be without the right manual? I am assuming they are right since they booted 98 SE with the ATI card but I could be wrong.

IMG_0524.JPGIMG_0524.JPG

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Any ideas what the jumpers need to be without the right manual? I am assuming they are right since they booted 98 SE with the ATI card but I could be wrong.

You don't need the manual. The settings are screened onto the motherboard right next to the jumper block. The one in the photo looks like it's set to 7x.
Do you have more than one CPU to try?

#82 9 years ago

Thanks for the message. I have three cyrix CPUs I can try. Two new and one old.

#83 9 years ago

Ok I see the diagrams but they do not make sense.....S I assume means shorted and O means open?

How does the diagram correlate to the jumper position? For the clock for example, for 33m, JP2 S (shorted) and JP1 O (open) ? How do I make one shorted and one open? Cover the shorted pin with a jumper? .....sigh

#84 9 years ago

Yes, S is shorted (jumper installed). I believe your bus speed is set to 33MHz in that pic (jumper on JP2 and not on JP3).

#85 9 years ago

Thanks again for the help. Here are some more pics. Do I have the jumpers correct?

IMG_0542.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0543.JPGIMG_0543.JPG

#86 9 years ago

Jumpers look right. Did you try another CPU yet? You can also try lowering the clock multiplier and the bus speed. IIRC, most came with 200 MHz CPUs, and some even had 180 MHz.

#87 9 years ago

Thanks again for the help. I tried the other CPUs with no change. I can sure lower the clock multiplier and bus speed. How would you recommend setting the jumpers (mattosborn)? Thanks.

Bill

#88 9 years ago

Maybe it's the wrong satellite board for this model... I am seeing 26 pins on the sat board and only 20 on the motherboard... The pinouts are going to be different... Did you get the cables with that new board?

ST-MGXM_mama.jpgST-MGXM_mama.jpg

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from mikebetz42:

Maybe it's the wrong satellite board for this model... I am seeing 26 pins on the sat board and only 20 on the motherboard... The pinouts are going to be different... Did you get the cables with that new board?

I believe the 26-pin cable/midi-board is OK (the extra pins are for optional audio outs that his MB doesn't have), but the important thing is that pin 1 on the cable (the red side) is lined up with pin 1 on the header (the left side in his pic). It's hard to tell from his pic, but it doesn't look like it's on there correctly.
And hooking it up wrong may have blown something....

#90 9 years ago

Thanks so much for the help guys. I definitely made sure the red stripe at each connection was connected to pin one so I am not leaning that route. However, the satellite board could definitely be a problem since the one in the pic (thanks mikebetz42 for the pic) did not come with the board.

I do have a vga cable and the old ribbon cable I could splice into for the cause? I assume the red stripe is pinout one on the ribbon cable and then it is sequentially ordered on up from left to right?

Based on the closest manual I can find, here are the likely pinouts for the board:

1 VCC

2 HSYNCB

3 VSYNCB

4 DDCSCAA

5 NC

6 NC

7 MIC

8 LINEINL

9 LINEINR

10 NC

11 NC

12 NC

13 NC

14 GND

15 GND

16 IOUTR

17 IOUTG

18 IOUTB

19 DDCSCLL

20 NC

21 NC

22 NC

23 NC

24 GND

25 LINE-IN-L

26 LINE-OUT-R

27 VCC

28 VCC

29 VCC

30 GND

#91 9 years ago

Helicopter was nice enough to scan and email his manual to me, and as I thought, looks like the pin out IS different.

Pin 2K motherboard manual 8.jpgPin 2K motherboard manual 8.jpg

Post edited by mikebetz42: Added Pin 2k ST-MGXm v1.1.pdf

Pin 2k ST-MGXm v1.1-448.pdfPin 2k ST-MGXm v1.1-448.pdf
#92 9 years ago

My new in box motherboard also includes the satellite boards and ribbon cables. I can take pics of them if that will help.

#93 9 years ago

Test cable made, and is working.

20150116_190815_resized.jpg20150116_190815_resized.jpg
#94 9 years ago

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGE THANK YOU to mikebetz42 for the new video cable

I got the cable installed today and we are off and RUNNING.....

IMG_0574.JPGIMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0576.JPGIMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0577.JPGIMG_0577.JPG

Also a big thanks to helicopter for posting the pinouts for the newer Pin2k board.

Side note, turns out the original board may not be dead after all also.

RFM is a sweet game and a ton of fun. I love it, my kids love it, and my wife is still married to me (even if a new pin shows up every once and a while).....thanks hun

Thank you all very much for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#95 9 years ago

Video pinout of the 586GXM-AV board.

MB VGA
1 - 9 +5**
2 - 8 BGND
3 - 15 ID0*
4 - NC
5 - 14 VSYNC
6 - 10 GND
7 - 13 HSYNC
8 - 5 GND
9 - 12 ID1*
10 - NC
11 - NC
12 - 3 BLUE
13 - 6 RGND
14 - 2 Green
15 - 7 GGND
16 - 1 RED

* - Not needed
** - Only needed if you are going to use the Ultimarc video amp. (http://www.ultimarc.com/vidamp.html)

20150126_144928_resized.jpg20150126_144928_resized.jpg

#96 9 years ago

No problem and you're welcome!!!

I noticed on my NIB motherboard that the square little EEPROM is missing. I thought these came with the mb when new? Maybe mine isn't new in box but it sure looks like it is with the white box and all the peripherals so a little confused or maybe somebody robbed it. You can see it missing in the picture in my post on the page 1. Anybody have an extra one of these? Or, should I just sell it without it? Since I already sold my RFM.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from helicopter:

I noticed on my NIB motherboard that the square little EEPROM is missing.

The Chip on my board is a Chrontel CH70038-V. It looks to be part of the video, possibly for the S Video and Composite out. I would test it to make sure you get a VGA signal. I need to find my puller, and I will remove the chip on my board and see if I still have VGA video.

"Chrontel's CH7003 digital PC to TV encoder is a standalone integrated circuit which provides a PC 99 compliant solution for TV output. It provides a universal digital input port to accept a pixel data stream from a compatible VGA controller (or equivalent) and converts this directly into NTSC or PAL TV format, with simultaneous composite and S-Video outputs.

CH7003B integrates a digital NTSC/PAL encoder with 9- bit DAC interface, and new adaptive flicker filter, and high accuracy low-jitter phase locked loop to create outstanding quality video. Through its TrueScaleTM scaling and deflickering engine, the CH7003 supports full vertical and horizontal underscan capability and operates in 5 different resolutions including 640x480 and 800x600."

#98 9 years ago

I pulled the chip and still had on board VGA video, looks like it will be fine without it.

-Mike

#99 9 years ago

#100 9 years ago

SON OF A #$))(*@#$&^%_#$@_#)$&#@%*

So after some great play time on my resurrected RFM.......it died. DEAD!

Was playing a nice game and it just shut off. Confirmed PC is fine, wall outlet is fine. Inline fuse was blown (5A 250V). Replaced it and still nothing. Any recommendations where to look next?

Interestingly I get some lights on the power driver board with power to just the pc and the pc on, otherwise it is dead.

Help?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-pinball-2000-pc-help-please/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.