RFM/Pinball 2000 - No Sound Initially at Boot

By D-Piddy

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello!

I searched multiple combinations of keywords trying to find a solution to this and nothing I found has worked.

tl/dr: Every time I turn my RFM on and wait for it to boot, the sound will only work if I unplug and plug back in the audio cable on the front of the cpu in the back box. Video below.

I just brought my second RFM back from the dead by replacing the monitor. Before the machine functioned just as it should but with no picture. During the boot sequence you could hear the speaker “pop” when the amp powered up and then the “bong” sound when the sound was initiated during the boot/test sequence.

After replacing the monitor, the machine continued to work fine, except now with a picture! However yesterday I noticed that when it finished booting there was no pop, bong, or sound after the initial test sequence.

The first thing I did was unplug the speaker connector from the front of the cpu and then plug it back it. The sound started working as soon as it was plugged back in.

Whenever I hard reboot the machine, the sound will not work until I unplug that connector on the front of the cpu and plug it back in. The LED on the front of the audio amp is solid-on the entire time. The light on the prism card is on as well. I have reseated the connecting cable between the prism and amp. If I soft restart the game using the service menu the sound remains active after the game restarts and I DO NOT have to unplug and plug in the sound connector again - only when I turn the game off and back on. I am assuming that this is because the cpu doesn’t really lose power during that soft, service menu reboot.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance for any information.

2 weeks later
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Piddy:

If I soft restart the game using the service menu the sound remains active after the game restarts and I DO NOT have to unplug and plug in the sound connector again - only when I turn the game off and back on. I am assuming that this is because the cpu doesn’t really lose power during that soft, service menu reboot.

I'm curious, have you tried soft rebooting it when the sound isn't working to see if that corrects the issue? I know you say soft booting it doesn't' make the problem come back, but does it make it go away?

I recently just had sound issues with RFM myself. I had the clicking and popping audio problem after I did the fan and power supply swap. Googling the problem the solution was a new audio cable. Replaced audio cable, and that didn't fix the problem, HOWEVER, when I was replacing the cable I had a flashback to when I had replaced the PS/CPU fan remembering that I had bent the connector a bit on the PRISM card when plugging the cable back in the first time.

I sent my card off to Borygard to replace the connector and it solved my problem.

I think where your problem may lie is the connector at the case you have to plug and unplug. Try jiggling it instead of plugging in and unplugging. If that fixes it you might need to repin that connector.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-pinball-2000-no-sound-initially-at-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.