(Topic ID: 72991)

RFM Pin2K: LED/LCD monitor upgrade advice?

By Whysnow

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hello all, I am nearing the completion of my RFM full restoration
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-an-ongoing-revenge-from-mars-restoration/page/2#post-1298072

and trying to weigh all the options surrounding a monitor conversion/upgrade. I will admit up front that I basically know nothing about monitors, CRT, LCD, LED or other.

Advice and tips from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently running the stock CPU but I do have a Nucore waiting in a box.
My understanding is that with Nucore, a LCD/LED would look much better than just running my stock pin2k CPU.
My understanding is that if I run the stock CPU I need some sort of additional CRT to LCD converter but with Nucore a LED/LCD TV would be plug and play?

I researched old threads and it seems like some complain that the LCD blacks are more grey? Has anyone done a LED monitor in place of the LCD? I was under the impression that LED monitors have better blacks?

At this point I have put so much in to this game, it is beyond the point of return so I might as well go all the way

WHat would be the best case senario to do the BEST monitor conversion and what do I have to do to make it work?

I am guessing I need to buy some sort of new monitor bracket, maybe conversion cables, and the actual TV?

#2 10 years ago

Basically
What is the best monitor/ TV to use and how do I go about making it all happen?

#3 10 years ago

bump for help

#5 10 years ago

do you have any info on specs?

#7 10 years ago

If I wanted to use this conversion bracket kit >>>
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/p2k_lcd.html

And wanted to get a 22 inch LED monitor what specs do I need to look for?

Does the monitor need to be something specific? Just a standard 22inch? widescreen 22?

Sorry, but like I said I know nothing about monitors or TVs really. I have always have good luck with samsung and that is about all I know...

#9 10 years ago

Great info! Just curious when you think you may do the swap to the LED?

I would love to hear your review.

thanks!

#11 10 years ago

Mine does not look all that great compared to others I have seen (my blacks are kind of grey and not as crisp as I would like) and I was under the impression that with nucore, a new LED monitor would be both much lighter and look better?

#13 10 years ago

ouch, and sorry to is going to be that long of a healing process. At least it is good drinking on the couch weather

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

22" Hanns-G LED.

Do you have the model number handy?

#15 10 years ago

also, how do I know if a monitor can be mounted? Is that identified as something specific? looks like most are just a built in stand...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-pin2k-ledlcd-monitor-upgrade-advice?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.