(Topic ID: 253693)

RFM P2K: How do I align monitor to playfield?

By longtemps1

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just acquired a Revenge From Mars machine. Undisclosed to me but discovered last night, it has a 17 inch Dell LCD monitor installed. Now, I know a 19 inch is what the original CRT monitor had been and what seems the appropriate size for an LCD replacement, but I am hoping to get by with the 17 inch while I recover from the initial cost of this machine. The machine has a nice commercial metal bracket holding the monitor in place and a CGA to VGA adapter card installed so I should be able to work with whatever makes sense in the future for a monitor.

The first question that came to mind is whether the animations reflected from a 17 inch flat screen will line up properly with the appropriate playfield targets that had been designed to work with a 19 inch CRT. I didn’t find any utilities in the system to accomplish this - this machine is currently running version 1.4. I can set the game on Martian Happy Hour, which has aliens, I believe at each playfield target. I wonder and ask where the Martians are supposed to appear. Right now they are appearing slightly above the actual playfield targets. I can’t really tell if the animations are being compressed horizontally by the smaller 17 inch image.

What’s most apparent right now is that I have to squat down, lose about 8-10 inches of my 5’9” height while playing, for the aliens to appear brightly. In my full height stance, the aliens are pretty hard to see at all. I don’t know how much of this effect is due to the smaller monitor or to the different way a flat screen projects compared to a (slightly) curved CRT or some other cause. I tried tilting the monitor up and down to the limits of the mounting bracket adjustment and it didn’t seem to make much difference.

I want to get a better monitor at some point also to improve the contrast ratio so that the background around animations is truly black, i.e. invisible. I hate that gray rectangular halo I see now.

I also need to fix light leaks from the nonstandard fluorescent backlight of the translite and from playfield lights. The only cheesy part of the conversion to LCD was the use of thin droopy black cardboard as a mask around the screen.

Any help or suggestions with any of these issues will be greatly appreciated. Experienced Martian bug killers?

I am in the middle of a power outage at home, so I can’t play pinball but can discuss it.

#2 4 years ago

For the angle to be right, the LCD needs to sit flat to the opening (the screen needs to be on the same plane as the plywood opening on the outside, it cannot sit in the box). The bracket that is used to retrofit the LCD should achieve that for you. Make sure the image is filling the screen as much as possible. This can sometimes be a setting on the monitor or on the CGA adapter. However, that 17" screen is likely always going to be problematic... its really too small for this application. Check out the RFM club page...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this

there is a bunch of info over there on LCDs that folks have used. You could probably replace that 17" monitor with another larger one fairly inexpensively.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on that RFM club. I will check it out. I’m just getting used to Pinside, where there aren’t so many sub-forums but there are long long topics. That one’s 66 pages, without the single topic search capability, it would have been daunting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-p2k-how-do-i-align-monitor-to-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.