Linked Games

Topic poll

“RFM or STTNG?”

• RFM 22 votes
    19%
  • STTNG 94 votes
    81%

(116 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

As far as fun, which would you buy!
Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Ugh, that is not an easy choice. I find both games to be pretty easy overall... I guess given the choice, I'd probably buy STTNG first, if I could find it around 3k. I'd buy a RFM around the 2500 mark if it had a Nucore in it...I know, I'm dreaming...

#3 10 years ago

I ow n both. Sttng will be last out. Rfm is great but..........oh be able ready to fix lots until dialed in.

#4 10 years ago

I've owned both and RFM is gone and STTNG is still here.

#5 10 years ago

To each his own...have you played both?
I may be in the minority, but I've owned a STTNG and hated it to the point that it was one of the few machines I sold at a loss because I just wanted it gone.

I've played a RFM a few times and currently have it on my wish list.

#6 10 years ago

I have RFM, and my pinbuddy has STTNG. I like them both, But STTNG does stuff a lot of different pinball machines also do and RFM does stuff only it can do.

Best bet is to get both.

#7 10 years ago

Love STTNG, miss mine!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I've owned both and RFM is gone and STTNG is still here.

Ditto

#9 10 years ago

You can't base a pinball purchase on what other people call fun. Have you played both? Each game is very different which is a good thing. I would play both and then set a maximum price to yourself what you would pay for either game. Search out your game of choice. Enjoy the game when you finally find one you like. Personally I would buy which ever of the two pops up with the best deal first... you can always sell the game after you have played it a year or so. You probably won't lose money on it...

#10 10 years ago

Own both . Many more year of fun with STTNG than RFM, even though both are great in their own way. Just more to do, more missions to complete and more variety of shots in STTNG than RFM.

#11 10 years ago

More to do? I voted for STTNG but I gotta call crap on that. STTNG has like 7 modes + 2 side multiballs +wiz. RfM has 9, plus a few side multiballs + wiz.

*edit* at worst, they might be EVEN.. I forgot about Warp 9.9 if you want to call that an additional mode.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

...STTNG has like 7 modes + 2 side multiballs +wiz. RfM has 9, plus a few side multiballs + wiz.

STTNG has 7 regular modes, 6 auxiliary modes (3 of which are multiball), and a multiball wizard mode. Each of the regular and auxiliary modes are repeatable and can give a different experience each time depending on how you fared the first time around.

Regular Modes:
1. Time Rift
2. Worm Hole
3. Search the Galaxy
4. Battle Simulation
5. A's Challenge
6. Rescue
7. Asteroid Threat

Auxiliary Modes
1. Romulan Mission
2. Cardassian Mission (2 ball multiball)
3. Ferengi Mission (up to four ball multiball)
4. Warp Factors ("Prepare for maximum acceleration!")
5. Borg Multiball
6. Holodeck

Wizard Mode
1. Final Frontier (6 ball multiball)

Lots of fun to be had here, not to mention the 5 different choices for the ball launch. STTNG packs quite a punch!

#13 10 years ago

St:tng is a damn fine game. Rfm is a good deal of fun and is brilliant eye candy. But the game with game of these two is definitely St:tng!

#14 10 years ago

I like RFM a lot, but in this poll it's a bit outmatched gameplay-wise. It's certainly the more unique of the two, but that doesn't mean there's more to do.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

More to do? I voted for STTNG but I gotta call crap on that. STTNG has like 7 modes + 2 side multiballs +wiz. RfM has 9, plus a few side multiballs + wiz.
*edit* at worst, they might be EVEN.. I forgot about Warp 9.9 if you want to call that an additional mode.

It has 9 modes, but the middle mode is one of 4 random modes, so that's 12 main modes.

Then:

Regular multiball
Hypnobeam multiball
3 differnt bonus wave multiballs
Alien Attack.
Mother ship multiball
Grandmother ship multiball
3 part wizard mode

23 different modes as I count them.

The biggest drawback to the game is how linear the modes are, IMO. There is a lot to do, for sure.

#16 10 years ago

Those two choices, STTNG hands down!

#17 10 years ago

Apples or Oranges. Two entirely different games. Play and depth.

I'll just say STTNG in a small collection.

#18 10 years ago

STTNG hands down.

#19 10 years ago

Is this a serious question? Come on now guy.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The biggest drawback to the game is how linear the modes are, IMO. There is a lot to do, for sure.

The game was a blast to play for a short while but, this ^^^ and the lack of satisfying shots is what ended our relationship early. If I had space for a large collection, I would have kept it for sure. But in a collection of five or fewer machines, it failed to make the cuts.

#21 10 years ago

Both are good in there own way but I'd rather go sttng

#22 10 years ago

RFM has a lot of modes and depth (see tamoore's post), but its main weakness is that most of the modes involve hitting the same 4 shots - 2 ramps, 2 orbits. A few modes use the stationary targets too, but that's not enough to really mix things up.

I keep mine because it's a part of pinball history, and it's popular with visitors. It's also fun to play a few times a month.

#23 10 years ago

Sttng. Make it so!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

RFM has a lot of modes and depth (see tamoore's post), but its main weakness is that most of the modes involve hitting the same 4 shots - 2 ramps, 2 orbits. A few modes use the stationary targets too, but that's not enough to really mix things up.
I keep mine because it's a part of pinball history, and it's popular with visitors. It's also fun to play a few times a month.

It's got two right hand orbits at times, and sometimes a second right hand shot to the pop bumpers. The final code update really did a lot to improve the rules and flow of the pin, IMO..

#25 10 years ago

RFM....because the two STTNG games I have owned in the past were maintenance nightmares ....always something breaking, shorting, burning, etc.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Best bet is to get both.

I'll go with this because I have both in my collection.

QSS

#27 10 years ago

RFM has vastly superior tech. No comparison. RFM for me. STTNG Is not easy to keep at peek performance either.

#28 10 years ago

if your blind or close to it go with the RFM you'll enjoy being able to get nice scores by hitting that sweet dust pan of a ramp in the middle ( weeeee ) if you can see go with the STTNG

#29 10 years ago

STTNG by a lightyear...RFM blows (25th time I got to say that on here haha)

#30 10 years ago

LOL @ Dustpan ramp.

#31 10 years ago

RFM takes up less space.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

RFM takes up less space.

Sometimes that extra couple of inches makes a big difference

#33 10 years ago

Depends on what you're looking for.

STTNG has a greater variety of shots with the upper flipper and the sling cannons. From a pure pinball player perspective, I'd go with STTNG.

For a pin that will do better at entertaining and getting non-pinball players to keep pressing the Start button, go with RFM. It's vastly superior to STTNG in terms of humor, and you don't have to be a sci-fi nut or trekkie to appreciate it.

For me, the biggest issue was getting my daughter interested in pinball. With my LOTR, she wasn't all that interested. I'm guessing it would have been the same for STTNG. She LOVES to play RFM. Maybe it's the integration of video screen, maybe it's the humor, or the cartoonish fun theme of blowing up martians.

#34 10 years ago

Wasn't it Pinball 2k that caused pinball to die? I seem to remember a certain company going out of business because of this...

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

Wasn't it Pinball 2k that caused pinball to die? I seem to remember a certain company going out of business because of this...

Your history is.... wrong.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

No, it was JarJar.

#37 10 years ago

Revenge From Mars by a country mile. I love the game, and it's got about the coolest "toy" on any pinball.

STTNG does just about nothing for me, though I somewhat dislike the theme.

#38 10 years ago

Oh, and to get our facts straight:
RFM was, by some measures, a huge success. It sold better than any other Bally/Williams pin in quite a while (I want to say at least a couple years.)

SOMEONE needs to watch Tilt.

#39 10 years ago

IPDB -

STTNG is #2 All Time
RFM is # 27

Pinside -

STTNG - #10
RFM - #34

enough said (not that I'm biased or anything

Both are a lot of fun and VERY different. Longevity goes to STTNG IMHO. I'd love to own an RFM, but if I had to choose.........well I already chose.

#40 10 years ago

I'd have neither. STTNG is overpriced, outlanes too wide, I don't get the appeal. RFM is a PB2K game. I'd suggest AFM but it too is overpriced.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

I'd have neither. STTNG is overpriced, outlanes too wide, I don't get the appeal. RFM is a PB2K game. I'd suggest AFM but it too is overpriced.

You own a Cirqus Voltaire but STTNG is overpriced........interesting.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

LOL!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from tjsynkral:

I'd have neither. STTNG is overpriced,

By today's standards, STTNG is a bargain. Full featured themed widebody with voices of the original actors that can be had for under 4k = bargain. That same game released today would be over 8k.

Quoted from PinSpinner:

Wasn't it Pinball 2k that caused pinball to die?

The writing was already on the wall for B/W by the time P2K was released. They were folding no matter what those machines did. As someone else mentioned, watch Tilt.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

CV is overpriced too, but it delivers.

#47 10 years ago

STTNG by a mile. RFM is a fun little game no doubt, and the humor is great, but it can't go up against any big boy.

#48 10 years ago

CV delivers the exact thing you bitch about with STTNG...cheezy drains out the side...

At least you have an option to fix STTNG's, either by replacement or skill.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Bingo, if RFM had more shots and they were not so repetitive it would have much more staying power. I love RFM, but it just could not stand the test of time. It is just too linear, SWE1 suffers a similar challange. STTNG makes you work and think in order to keep the ball in play. I have owned STTNG 5 years, and it is not going anywhere.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

By today's standards, STTNG is a bargain. Full featured themed widebody with voices of the original actors that can be had for under 4k = bargain. That same game released today would be over 8k.

Great point, the new STLE is 8k and it does not appear to have even 50% of what STTNG offers(from what we can tell thus far, time will tell . It would seem a new STTNG would be more then 8k, stop the insanity

Broad ruleset coupled with an awesome shot layout, fantastic artwork, actual voice actor call outs, incredible dots, sounds, toys, few machines have the entire package, and STTNG delivers it. For the price of admission, there are few machines with more bang for your buck then STTNG.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

For the price of admission, there are few machines with more bang for your buck then STTNG.

Have to agree. It's a great package.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 63.95
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-or-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.