Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ThePostmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20130401_182931.jpg
20130401_182913.jpg
20130401_192228.jpg
20130401_192243.jpg
20130401_192228.jpg
20130401_192701.jpg
20130401_181826.jpg
DSCN2335.JPG
DSCN2334.JPG
20130401_182944.jpg
20130401_182913.jpg
20130401_181826.jpg
DSCN2334.JPG
DSCN2336.JPG
DSCN2335.JPG

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

My monitor has been on it's way out, over the last month on my RFM. Sometimes it would come on, sometimes not. When it did, it was very weak. I went to the pawn shop, and picked up a 19" wide screeen LCD monitor (cheap!). It barely fits in the cabinet. Boy what a difference it makes. My RFM has a Nucore in it. The graphics are awesome.

There is one thing that does bug me though. On the old monitor, there was blue lines running vertical in random spots on the old monitor. I figured it was the monitor, as it was on it's way out. I put the LCD monitor in it, and the lines are still there. Any ideas what this is from? I'm going to turn down the brightness on the monitor, as it's really bright, and see it they go away. If that doesn't work, I'll re-seat the graphics board on the Nucore, and see if that fixes it.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, how'd you fix it? Any ideas on what to try? Thanks,

Bill

#2 7 years ago

I'm not sure about the blue lines, but this is a really cool idea. Can you
post a pic of the machine with LCD in it?

#4 7 years ago

love the LCD in a Pin2k. That's terrific, and very lucky that you already had the nucore!

I couldn't get my horizontal adjustment to center, so I gutted my crt and put in a dell 19" that I've had laying around. Spent around 50 in parts from ebay and home depot, but definitely worth the trouble. I'm seeing detail now I never did with the CRT.

I've not see the lines you're talking about, is everything grounded properly?

#5 7 years ago

I'll post some pics of the lines I have on the monitor.

#6 7 years ago

Postmaster
Not trying to highjack your thread but...
I would like to put a LCD monitor in my RFM.
What is all needed to convert to LCD? I am not talking mounting.
I am wondering about cords/converters?
I do not have a nucore.... is that needed? I hope not.
Thanks

#7 7 years ago

Some people make their own converters or Happ makes a "plug and play" LCD. I bought a converter from Rob Anthony(lockwhenlit.com), and I know many others have as well. Buy his converter and grab a LCD monitor and you are good to go.

#8 7 years ago

It does look great. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow and post them here.

#9 7 years ago

Here are the pics. The camera makes the lines stand out more. They are visable when playing though. I re-seated the graphics card, and it didn't change a thing. // Error: Image 86658 not found // DSCN2336.JPG DSCN2334.JPG

#10 7 years ago

I turned down the brightness on the monitor, and the lines didn't disappear. The lines were there on the old CRT monitor, and they are there on the new LCD monitor.

#11 7 years ago

I would guess one of two things:

1) video ram issue
2) possibly video driver issue. Did you recently change video cards or drivers.

You also may want to hookup another LCD to rule that out. I doubt that's the issue but worth a try.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I would guess one of two things:

1) video ram issue
2) possibly video driver issue. Did you recently change video cards or drivers.

I'll check these thanks.

Quoted from chessiv:

You also may want to hookup another LCD to rule that out. I doubt that's the issue but worth a try.

I doubt it's that, as the lines were on the old monitor.

#13 7 years ago

I have a simple question. I'm a Windows guy. The RFM has a Nucore in it, running Linux/ubuntu. How do I update my graphics driver? Never done it on this type of system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Bill

#14 7 years ago

same with Ryan...I have lost Blue on my monitor...one tech came out and said I needed a new one. Having another tech look at it today and if it can't be fixed, I am doing the same as Ryan.

I have contacted Lockwhenlit and will be getting the plug and play and an LCD. I am game to do the swap, just not too excited about getting the voltage out of the tube before removing...

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

I have a simple question. I'm a Windows guy. The RFM has a Nucore in it, running Linux/ubuntu. How do I update my graphics driver? Never done it on this type of system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

Did you buy a nucore complete or base package and set it up yourself? Generally there's no need to update video drivers in linux like there is in windows. If it was setup properly you shouldn't ever have to update it.

#16 7 years ago

I was going to suggest moving the wiring around seeing if any are causing some interference. Does sound not to be LCD or the old CRT related. Worth a try anyway.

#17 7 years ago

Chessev,

When I bought the game, it had the Nucore in it. It was the full monty, including the case.

Dmacy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try, and report my results.

#18 7 years ago

That's not interference and it's not a driver issue. That is a physical fault somewhere. I would suspect first the video cable followed by the connector on the video card. You can rule out the monitor since it appeared on the CRT too. It might be video ram on the video card but I really doubt that. This looks more like a transmission error.

#19 7 years ago

I would take this over to the vid guys at KLOV. I'm sure it has happened on other vids.

Do you need NuCore to run an LCD in RFM?

#20 7 years ago

My guess is a faulty video card or something along that line. Video cards when they're going out can display all sorts of artifacts.

#21 7 years ago

If he's running NuCore it's not a "vid" problem that would be a KLOV type issue. NuCore is running a standard Linux PC.

You do not need NuCore to use an LCD. Without NuCore, however, you do need a ~$40 video converter to convert the signal from STD res arcade (15khz) to VGA.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

That's not interference and it's not a driver issue. That is a physical fault somewhere. I would suspect first the video cable followed by the connector on the video card. You can rule out the monitor since it appeared on the CRT too. It might be video ram on the video card but I really doubt that. This looks more like a transmission error.

Easy enough to test the video cable. It should just be a standard vga cable if it's a nucore system.

#23 7 years ago

Thats likely a pin issue either in the cable or the card.

#24 7 years ago

I'm Thinking Cable or Video Card as well.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from D_Graunch:

I would take this over to the vid guys at KLOV. I'm sure it has happened on other vids.
Do you need NuCore to run an LCD in RFM?

No, There are video converters and mounting kits available.
http://lockwhenlit.com/CGA.htm

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm Thinking Cable or Video Card as well.

My gut tell me video card..

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

No, There are video converters and mounting kits available.
http://lockwhenlit.com/CGA.htm

That's the same video converter I used in my Berzerk to convert it to a VGA CRT. It works really well. I got it from another vendor a couple of years ago. Usually sells in the $35 range (without the grey power source addon shown in that instance).

#28 7 years ago

I dropped an LCD into my RFM when I had it. I thought that it looked so much better and that the targets lined up a bit better than they did on the original CRT. Obviously the colors looked better as well.

If you own an RFM, I'd suggest doing the LCD mod, whether you have NuCore or not.

#29 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I know it's not a cable issue, as I used the cable that came with my monitor. I didn't use the exsisting cable. The vid card in the nucore has a digital vid jack. I might try that output from the card just for shits and giggles. I'll post updates tonight

#30 7 years ago

Sorry for the bad advice. Sounds like some good knowledge here. Was thinking it was something stupid/easy.

#31 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I know it's not a cable issue, as I used the cable that came with my monitor. I didn't use the exsistingcable. The vid card in the nuxore has a digital vid jack. I might try that output from the card just for shits and giggles. I'll post updates tonight

Try that on a TV if you can. Anything that you know doesn't have a display issue for sure.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Sorry for the bad advice. Sounds like some good knownot bad advice. ledge here. Was thinking it was something stupid/easy.

Not bad advice, sounded good to me.

Quoted from ChadTower:

Try that on a TV if you can. Anything that you know doesn't have a display issue for sure.

I know the monitor is good, because I hooked it up to my computer first, to make sure it was working fine, before I pulled the crt out of the game.

If I install a different graphics card in the game, how do I install the Linux drivers? Is it a plug and play like Windows?

I might take the graphics card out, and install it into my home computer, and see if the problem follows the graphics card.

#33 7 years ago

Not bad advice, sounded good to me.

I know the monitor is good, because I hooked it up to my computer first, to make sure it was working fine, before I pulled the crt out of the game.
If I install a different graphics card in the game, how do I install the Linux drivers? Is it a plug and play like Windows?
I might take the graphics card out, and install it into my home computer, and see if the problem follows the graphics card.

It may detect and install the card automatically. Or you may have to download linux drivers for it. Either one is fairly easy to do.

#34 7 years ago

In your situation, once you really think it's the video card, the easiest path would be to replace it with an identical card. No software issues to deal with.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

In your situation, once you really think it's the video card, the easiest path would be to replace it with an identical card. No software issues to deal with.

I would suggest this also. The user probably installed an arcadevga card (http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html)

It's probably out of warranty but you should be able to buy a new one as a drop-in replacement.

#36 7 years ago

Oh, hell, if it's one of those then email Andy at Ultimarc and he'll probably be able to help you out quite a bit. He's a good dude and provides excellent customer support to reasonable people.

#37 7 years ago

Bill, I could be able to come up to your neck of the woods and help ya out with this. I have a background in comupters and I'd love to see one of these RFM/SWE1 machines in person.

My gut would say the one or more of the pins are bent. Video drivers typically will work or they wont. Usually you do not get interference like shown in the pics from "bad" drivers.

Shoot me a call/text and we can figure out a time for me to come up there.

-j

#38 7 years ago

That is a hardware or wiring issue. Not software.

You get lines like that with bad cables or pins that deliver the video across a cable. Maybe a bad video card issue, ex. the ram pieces on the card having bad solder and lifting up.

#39 7 years ago

Does someone know what distro of linux it is? Linux...hahah. unless it is ubuntu (or something similar) it will not have the specific drivers. It is a customized OS, you have to get the drivers for it, using grep from online. Or get the package and mount the usb/cd etc device to the computer and install from that. Very hands on OS.

#40 7 years ago

It is Ubuntu. I'll stop by after work, and check the pins on the vid board connector.

#41 7 years ago

I would suggest this also. The user probably installed an arcadevga card (http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html)
It's probably out of warranty but you should be able to buy a new one as a drop-in replacement.

That's what the video card is. ArcadeVGA Ultimarc TA-X2500. I hooked it to the digital jack, and the interference got worse.

20130401_181826.jpg

#42 7 years ago

Video card.

20130401_182913.jpg 20130401_182944.jpg

#43 7 years ago

Bill, are you 100% positive that the cable(s) you are using do not have any bent pins? Also, have you inspected the plug where the other end of the cable hooks up (not on the video card) to ensure nothing is preventing it from plugging in all the way?

GL!

#44 7 years ago

I second the suggestion to contact Andy @ Ultimarc if it's an ArcadeVGA, he's a great guy with quality service.

#45 7 years ago

Wow, you have one of the original non-powdercoated cases. I probably built that one =)

#46 7 years ago

I'd bet 5.00 it's a bad video card.

#47 7 years ago

This is a long shot... The starter on my florescent tube went bad and made the screen go crazy.
This is most likely not it... but it is easy to try.

#48 7 years ago

I just found out my monitor is shot on my RFM...picking up a 22" Samsung LCD to put in and just ordered the mounting bracket and CGA/VGA converter from LockWhenLit. Quick question, I have the Ultimarc Amp that I did not install on the current CRT. Should I install the Ultimarc video amplifier as well?

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

I just found out my monitor is shot on my RFM...picking up a 22" Samsung LCD to put in and just ordered the mounting bracket and CGA/VGA converter from LockWhenLit. Quick question, I have the Ultimarc Amp that I did not install on the current CRT. Should I install the Ultimarc video amplifier as well?

Nope.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

I'd bet 5.00 it's a bad video card.

We have a winner (multiple winners actually, but EA put money on it)!!! It was the video card. There is a Computer Renaissance just a couple stores down. I brought the whole Nucore setup down there. He put a test video card in it, and it worked without a Flaw. I ended up buying a used video card for $5.00, and fixed it. The next post will be before pics, and the post after that will be after pics.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Villa , IL
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside