• Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200410_120045 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Well finally got sometime with this stay at home to look at my rfm that has not had any love in 5 years. Thought I was good to go this morning after addressing some dry solder joints on the main light board but find myself with 2 issues I have not run across before. Has me a little stumped at the moment.

Left slingshot switch is showing permanently on. I checked the diode and all is fine. If I un solder the white and brown wire the light goes out in the test matrix. I checked I have continuity to the harness connector at the back, the other switches that seem to share that same white and brown row are all ok best I can see. So struggling to see what seems to be holding it on. The leaf switches on that sling are open, with the power off and just a multi meter connected they make contact fine. Is this maybe a resistor issue on power board?

Other issue is the left flipper hold. Right flipper power flips the flipper up no problem, right flipper hold makes a click with no flipper movement. Left flipper power, powers the flipper up. Left flipper hold makes the left flipper slowly lift? Also the led5 on the driver board in the bottom of the cabinet is out. Fuse is fine. Is this a flipper coil issue or transistor maybe?

So close to being able to wrap it up and play, and thoughts?
Thanks

20200410_120045 (resized).jpg20200410_120045 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from mameman:

So struggling to see what seems to be holding it on.

Something like flux or metal filings shorting across the fiberboard spacers between the leaf blades ?

Quoted from mameman:

Left flipper hold makes the left flipper slowly lift?

Bad solder joint at the coil lug ? Cracked wire from coil to coil lug ?

Quoted from mameman:

Fuse is fine.

Fine in as pulled and checked with a meter ? Manual would tell you what the fuse is for.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Something like flux or metal filings shorting across the fiberboard spacers between the leaf blades ?

I dont think so as I disconnected both and put a meter across each one on continuity and it's not showing as a close circuit, manually pushing on each is closing the circuit.

Bad solder joint at the coil lug ? Cracked wire from coil to coil lug ?

I re-soldered the left and on testing flipper hold its lifting it and cycling. Question is what is the expected behavior? Is the left ok doing this and my right flipper hold has an issue since it's not moving the flipper?

Fine in as pulled and checked with a meter ? Manual would tell you what the fuse is for.
LTG : )

Yup pulled fuse and checked, I think this may just be a dead led and a red herring as that fuse is left flipper power and the flipper on power is working fine.

#4 4 years ago

Slingshot fixed, apparently the machine is way more sensitive than my multimeter on continuity check. I took the secondary least switch out, noticed it had alot of dust between the contacts at the bottom, cleaned it and now it's working fine in the machine!!
Now just the right flipper hold I guess. Progress.

#5 4 years ago

Flipper hold isn't supposed to necessarily pull the flipper up - its job is to hold the flipper up once it's flipped with the power stroke with less power so the coil doesn't burn.

You have an exceptionally strong flipper hold winding on your left flipper if the hold pulls it up (even slowly). There's still nothing wrong with it, though, as long as the flippers flip and hold themselves up. You're looking for a non-existent problem.

Now, if the flippers don't flip (in test or gameplay) and STAY up as you hold the button, yes, there's an issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-left-slingshot-and-left-flipper-hold-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.