(Topic ID: 121213)

RFM is Fun even without Pin2k Video! (Video included)

By altan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by altan
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I acquired my own Revenge from Mars a bit over 2 weeks ago and I've been having a blast with it. It is, perhaps, the pin I've enjoyed most right away after bringing a pin home.

Since RFM is a somewhat polarizing game (aren't a lot of them?), and some people seem to indicate the video aspect takes away from the classic pinball experience, or that it doesn't have a classic experience underpinning it, I decided to try something. I played several games with the glass removed. This was my approach to disabling video (alternatively i could have disconnected the video cable or other approaches).

Even without the video, I had a ball playing RFM! It's fun even without the video!

I decided to play some more with the glass removed and take a video to show others what RFM looks like without "video". IMHO, it looks like a cool traditional pin. Now, this video isn't intended to show any great gameplay (and it doesn't)... but it shows a representative sample.

Here is the YouTube link to some 9 minutes of RFM gameplay without video / glass (not a complete game).

Who has played RFM without the video and what are your thoughts? I think it further proves it's a great game.

... Altan

(More about RFM @ www.aaarpinball.com/RFM/RFM.htm)

#2 9 years ago

One of my problems with RFM is that i feel that I am shooting into a big hole.
So all the shots feel the same.

But now it looks more fun!

What if you put it in a regular cabinet, added an LCD screen?

Axl

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

But now it looks more fun!

Cool!

FWIW, it appears the YouTube is taking forever to process this video. It currently is playing back in some super low resolution (should be 720p) and doesn't have a thumbnail graphic.

#4 9 years ago

Update: Looks like YouTube finished processing and it's available in 720p now...

#5 9 years ago

This is why I think the Multimorphic P3 is superior to Pinball2000 - it has interactive video but you can still see all the physical shots.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

it has interactive video but you can still see all the physical shots

With RFM you can absolutely see the shots. The video animations and/or characters are very will integrated into the shot, never obscuring them. What RFM does "hide" is the physical trail that the ball takes once it passes "into" the video realm.

#7 9 years ago

I have no issues seeing the shots in RFM either. The video just adds to the experience. If you can't see I'd make sure to add high quality LEDs to brighten things up.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks for starting this altan, I just got mine a week ago and have some questions about the vid amp install but time for bed.

#9 9 years ago

MustangPaul, drop me a note if you have any video amp questions... Or ask in a thread so others can read and chime in.

I know it's silly, but I was playing without glass some more (tweaking the up/down ramp) and it's really fun. I'm not saying it's better without the glass (no!), but I believe this supports RFM being a great game.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

MustangPaul, drop me a note if you have any video amp questions... Or ask in a thread so others can read and chime in.

OK here goes, I've read your how to about the install and watched that one guys (can't remember his name) vid and they all talk about 2 different monitors well I have a 3rd one, mine is a Samsung A48KRD89X02. Have you or anyone ever heard of this monitor being in a game? From the amount of dust on it it looks to have been in there for years. Since it's different is the hookup still the same?

#11 9 years ago

It looks like Monday Night Football with that ramp that elevates out of the playfield.

#12 9 years ago

I think the Samsung is one of the potential tubes used by the WG monitor. I'm away from my RFM right now but can look later (when back) to see what tube I have.

In the mean time, check out the monitor adjustment board that is behind the translate. If the model starts with DS, you have Ducksan... If it starts with WG, you have Well-Gardner. At least I THINK that's the case

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I think the Samsung is one of the potential tubes used by the WG monitor. I'm away from my RFM right now but can look later (when back) to see what tube I have.
In the mean time, check out the monitor adjustment board that is behind the translate. If the model starts with DS, you have Ducksan... If it starts with WG, you have Well-Gardner. At least I THINK that's the case

OK I see how that works now, I thought the monitor had to be a Ducksan or Well-Gardner, it's the chassie.

It's a Ducksan.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK I see how that works now, I thought the monitor had to be a Ducksan or Well-Gardner, it's the chassie.
It's a Ducksan.

Glad you got that figured out. I didn't look closely at the Ducksan approach, but I believe you need to cut the H/V sync trace on the video amp and make sure you wire bot H and V sync to the monitor. FWIW, as my web site says, I tried this approach with the WG ... Thinking that H/V sync would be better than composite sync. I couldn't get the WG to work this way so I ended up adding the trace back.

Ducksan and Wells-Gardner design the circuit board that inputs the video signals and controls the electron means. The tube, which fluoresces (or whatever the right word is) when struck by the electron beam is made by various other companies (such as Samsung).

(This is a spacer)

So... Back onto the original topic. Anyone enjoy playing RFM without the video? Or does anyone have an opinion about RFM's gameplay without the video and how the video (perhaps) improves it?

#15 9 years ago

I just checked my game for code and it's at 1.2 Where can I get 1.6 and how and where do I install it?

#16 9 years ago

Nice vid. I love my RFM too - going to try this when I get home just for fun.
1.6 is downloadable, then you just need to go through the hassle of getting the laptop, USB/serial port, naming the port correctly, and doing the update!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

1.6 is downloadable, then you just need to go through the hassle of getting the laptop, USB/serial port, naming the port correctly, and doing the update!

Oh crap. I have no idea what I'm doing if it's all that.

#18 9 years ago

At 0:45 & 1:14 you make the "Capture" and "Ball Lock" shots
Your ball goes around to the left orbit torward your left flipper....

Is your divertor for ball locks disabled or broken?
Mine is different.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

At 0:45 & 1:14 you make the "Capture" and "Ball Lock" shots
Your ball goes around to the left orbit torward your left flipper....
Is your divertor for ball locks disabled or broken?
Mine is different.

Probably this:

Change "Capture M.B. Light Lock Loops" to On
Change "Loop Dead Scene Shots" on On

Best adjustments you can make!

#20 9 years ago

Ya.. The loop adjustments really help with the flow of the game. I have them both on in my game, too.

However, I'll disagree with the premise of this thread. The video is the whole point of the game, and as such, is so much a lesser game without it.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Ya.. The loop adjustments really help with the flow of the game. I have them both on in my game, too.
However, I'll disagree with the premise of this thread. The video is the whole point of the game, and as such, is so much a lesser game without it.

I agree!

What I'm saying is that RFM is great without video. If it wasn't pin2k it would still be a good game. It's even better with the video!

#22 9 years ago

It essentially has all of the shots of AFM, plus, it has the video. My machine is bright enough where the ball never really disappears like some people complain about. I can see it the whole time, except for when it goes into the VUK. Cointaker LED's with a really nice commercial LCD display.

1 week later
#23 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Probably this:
Change "Capture M.B. Light Lock Loops" to On
Change "Loop Dead Scene Shots" on On
Best adjustments you can make!

Just wanted to say thanks! I changed my settings and I really like the difference. The loop is like a whole new challenge (kinda like the super skill shot)

To fully understand if my machine is working properly... Now, it goes into the divertor (I believe to Lock) and sometimes it loops, and/or to the pops. Should it ever go to the pops or is one of my switches not registering 100%?

What is the Dead Scene shot? I turned it on, just not exactly sure what this is doing.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Just wanted to say thanks! I changed my settings and I really like the difference. The loop is like a whole new challenge (kinda like the super skill shot)
To fully understand if my machine is working properly... Now, it goes into the divertor (I believe to Lock) and sometimes it loops, and/or to the pops. Should it ever go to the pops or is one of my switches not registering 100%?
What is the Dead Scene shot? I turned it on, just not exactly sure what this is doing.

Yes, it should go to the pops sometimes.

Regarding Dead Scene shot, I've not read a formal statement of its functionality either. However, my best guess is that if the orbit isn't used by the mode, or you have achieve that orbit goal, the ball will continue around and exit the other orbit side. This is opposed to falling down into the roll over lane
(from my RFM page http://www.aaarpinball.com/RFM/RFM.htm)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-is-fun-even-without-video-video-included and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.