Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by adii
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I picked up an RFM this week. Same old story, it was working when I bought it. This is my first P2K and I really don't know where to begin.

To move it we removed the head which meant disconnecting the 25-pin cable to the driver board, the 9-pin to the coin door, and the power/speaker cable (2 and 3 pin). I also removed the monitor cable not realizing it didn't need to be removed.

I set it up in reverse, turned it on, and the computer in the head was noticeably louder than before. Nothing worked other than the head lamp and the PC was getting power. I removed the cables and went one by one. With nothing more connected than than the monitor cable, it worked and told me to connect the driver board. I did that and everything worked fine. It told me the coin door was open so I connected that cable and replaced the playfield. About the time I got the coin door closed and heard is fire off a few solenoids (ball trough maybe) the screen froze and the playfield went dead. I tried the same sequence again and I get nothing. Not even the monitor. The driver board is getting power and I can see some LED's on.

I'm looking through the manual and will research this today after some family activities, but if anyone can give me a headstart on what I need to do I would really appreciate it.

This RFM is HUO and doesn't have many plays on it. Right now it's a beautiful and very heavy paperweight. Fits nicely with my AFMr.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

I picked up an RFM this week. Same old story, it was working when I bought it. This is my first P2K and I really don't know where to begin.
To move it we removed the head which meant disconnecting the 25-pin cable to the driver board, the 9-pin to the coin door, and the power/speaker cable (2 and 3 pin). I also removed the monitor cable not realizing it didn't need to be removed.
I set it up in reverse, turned it on, and the computer in the head was noticeably louder than before. Nothing worked other than the head lamp and the PC was getting power. I removed the cables and went one by one. With nothing more connected than than the monitor cable, it worked and told me to connect the driver board. I did that and everything worked fine. It told me the coin door was open so I connected that cable and replaced the playfield. About the time I got the coin door closed and heard is fire off a few solenoids (ball trough maybe) the screen froze and the playfield went dead. I tried the same sequence again and I get nothing. Not even the monitor. The driver board is getting power and I can see some LED's on.
I'm looking through the manual and will research this today after some family activities, but if anyone can give me a headstart on what I need to do I would really appreciate it.
This RFM is HUO and doesn't have many plays on it. Right now it's a beautiful and very heavy paperweight. Fits nicely with my AFMr.

Is the prims board firmly attached to the motherboard , it's the double board with the roms in between. Also is your cpu still locked properly in place?

#3 6 years ago

And take a look here in the tech section

http://www.pinball2000.de

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Is the prims board firmly attached to the motherboard , it's the double board with the roms in between. Also is your cpu still locked properly in place?

CPU still in place. Prism card still secure too, but there are two wires and a female plug on them that aren’t connected to anything. I don’t see where they would plug in or even if they are necessary.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

CPU still in place. Prism card still secure too, but there are two wires and a female plug on them that aren’t connected to anything. I don’t see where they would plug in or even if they are necessary.

While you have the cover off the computer, look carefully at the capacitors around the CPU. Are any bulged or leaking? Super common on that machine.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

there are two wires and a female plug on them that aren’t connected to anything.

Thats either power to the cpu or power to the translite. Find the other end.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Thats either power to the cpu or power to the translite. Find the other end.

Maybe reseating he prism card fixed it. It’s working now. It sounds like a lawn mower though. I have another power supply I may swap in.

Most of the cables off the prism card are on one plug that looks like it goes to the power supply. There are 2 stray wires on a plug that I don’t see where they go. Translite is lit up.

#8 6 years ago

This machine don’t like to move,always a board inside the cpu loose connection during transportation

#9 6 years ago

That’s the truth! I’m going to ease it back in-line and not think about moving it for a looooong time.

#10 6 years ago

Look into replacing the power supply and the fan. I also kept the box off of my cpu to help with heat build up. Seemed redundant to have a box within a box in a home environment.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Maybe reseating he prism card fixed it. It’s working now. It sounds like a lawn mower though. I have another power supply I may swap in.
Most of the cables off the prism card are on one plug that looks like it goes to the power supply. There are 2 stray wires on a plug that I don’t see where they go. Translite is lit up.

You likely have a cable dragging on the CPU fan or the bearings are failing in the CPU or power supply fan to make the lawnmower sound. Easily fixable, regardless of which.

#12 6 years ago

I think it was a cable but I have a new power supply I’ll likely put it. Leaving the lid off the cpu is a good idea.

So far so good with it. The upper roll overs don’t register but that can’t be too hard to track down. I wish I could do a switch test with the glass off. I need to read the manual.

Thanks for all the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-is-deadplease-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.