(Topic ID: 80389)

RFM: How bad is this playfield? And...price check!

By NJGecko

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RFM translite sig.jpg
2014-02-16 10.21.43.jpg
2014-02-16 10.22.42.jpg
2014-02-16 10.22.04.jpg
DSC01173.JPG
DSC01172.JPG
DSC01171.JPG
100_4116.JPG
100_4118.JPG
100_4119.JPG
100_4117.JPG
100_4115.JPG
100_4114.JPG
100_4112.JPG
100_4113.JPG
100_4111.JPG
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I have an RFM I'm stalking. It's filthy (yep, I like those) but my concern is the playfield. Inserts seem to be starting to come through. How badly do you think this will look once it's cleaned up?

100_4101.JPG100_4101.JPG

#2 10 years ago

I bet that'll clean up nicely. All of the RFM's I've seen have a bit of lifting in the back edge of the saucer exhaust triangle inserts.

#3 10 years ago

should clean up nice. But i do see why your concerned.

#4 10 years ago

The rest of the playfield is pretty nice under the nasty.

What do you guys think...if I can grab it for under $2k, good deal?

Monitor isn't working, but game boots up and plays.

100_4101 (3).JPG100_4101 (3).JPG 100_4102.JPG100_4102.JPG 100_4101 (4).JPG100_4101 (4).JPG 100_4103 (1).JPG100_4103 (1).JPG 100_4105.JPG100_4105.JPG 100_4111.JPG100_4111.JPG 100_4112.JPG100_4112.JPG 100_4113.JPG100_4113.JPG 100_4114.JPG100_4114.JPG 100_4115.JPG100_4115.JPG 100_4116.JPG100_4116.JPG 100_4117.JPG100_4117.JPG 100_4118.JPG100_4118.JPG 100_4119.JPG100_4119.JPG
#6 10 years ago

Not my favorite game, but under 2k seems to be a decent enough of a deal for what should clean up very nice.

#7 10 years ago

These things are such moving targets...I personally think it's a good price. It's off route, but looks pretty clean and complete, but I know the market is wacky for these, and I've seen them from $2k up to $5k, but not many at that $2k mark.

#8 10 years ago

Saw that on ebay. I think it will clean up okay but will probably be players quality since the cab looks a little beat. At $2k, there's plenty of risk and you will spend quite a bit on an LCD conversion. Although, it could just be a fuse or a bad connector to the monitor. I would try to talk him down to $1500-$1700, then I think it is a good deal. I wouldn't expect an average to person to pay anything close for that dirty thing that doesn't work.

#9 10 years ago

As I was often told, and often say, dirt cleans up...and the guy said that the display did work recently. If it's an easy fix that's great, but an LCD conversion should run me I think $400 roughly including the mount, converter, and LCD.

I figure if I'm all in for $2200 when fixed, i think, shopped, it would bring $2500 probably.

#10 10 years ago

I think $2500 with the crt monitor and closer to $3000 with lcd. I bought my rfm for $2500 with a crt monitor and had no issues about paying that price.

#11 10 years ago

That's what I'm thinking optimistically. I'll talk to the guy again today and see. It looks like it's a clean player machine. Although it may be nicer in person and not sure how much it will clean up.

#12 10 years ago

2k is the average price for one as pictured. After a full shop job and fully working....2300 to 2500 imho.

#13 10 years ago

Where is it, near you? For a fixer upper you really should look at it in person but you already know that. With the CRT not working I'd offer him $1800 because of that one issue which could be major.

#14 10 years ago

It's about 2 hours from me. I will see if I can wiggle him down in price a bit. I'm not desperate for this machine...it would be nice and fun to have, but I know it's not a one in a million one.

#15 10 years ago

I would not pay more than $1500 for that game.

Nothing on it is nice (cab and playfield are beat).

Many times when a game is so beat, it has a million hacks, hidden globs of glue, and drywall screws.

You can get a working game in better physical condition for a few bucks more.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Many times when a game is so beat, it has a million hacks, hidden globs of glue, and drywall screws.

This makes more sense. I honestly can't recall but wasn't a nice RFM a $2k game all day long before prices started taking off?

#17 10 years ago

hmmm I was thinking 2000 was not bad, but vid makes some great points, better to be safe then sorry.

a bunch of repairing adds up in a hurry and you could probably find a better specimen for that price honestly

#18 10 years ago

At $2k, imo, you are trading dollars in a best case situation and giving away about 30 hours of your time. That thing is filthy and has issues. You are not leaving any room for problems and by the looks of that there will be problems. For instance, I'll bet the glass is all scratched up and will need replaced and that has special glass that isn't cheap. It will add up until you have $3k in it and then you'll be lucky to get $3k when you sell it.

If you are dying for an RFM and you can't find any around you and a limited budget, it is understood but there's more risk there than most would take. Even at $1500, there is minor risk but you should come out fine as long as you're willing to put the time into it.

#19 10 years ago

Interesting to see things swinging all around. Open to more opinions...keep em coming!

#20 10 years ago

The fact that it is on your wishlist means you will pay more than you should for that game good luck! working on pinball is fun. Until it becomes an investment.....then it is a job.

#21 10 years ago

If you really want the game, and think you will keep it, who really cares how much more it will cost to fix it up (within reason).

As soon as you start looking at this hobby as a potential ROI, you're probably going to lose from here on out.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

The fact that it is on your wishlist means you will pay more than you should for that game good luck! working on pinball is fun. Until it becomes an investment.....then it is a job.

Exactly. I would say just go for it, see how low you can get it below 2k, but I wouldn't lose it over a couple of hundred bucks. It looks like it will clean up really well and the price on these seems to be rising.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Nope. I've learned that lesson. I want it, but not enough to overpay for it. Realistically I think it would be fun to clean and make work, maybe play for a bit, not a lifetime keeper though.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

If you really want the game, and think you will keep it, who really cares how much more it will cost to fix it up (within reason).
As soon as you start looking at this hobby as a potential ROI, you're probably going to lose from here on out.

I just don't know. I know I like the "idea" of it as a representation of a lot of things, but playing it is tough. I've gotten my hands on a few, but they were definitely not in prime shape. The last one was so dark in the back half of the playfield that I felt like I couldn't see the ball and really had no idea what was going on half the time.

#25 10 years ago

playfield will clean up nice. No wear on the tractor beams. 2k-2400 seems fair. it's your standard run of the mill RFM. Cabinet is nice and clean inside.

#26 10 years ago

Thanks Neo. That's pretty much it. It looks like a clean player RFM. I figure monitor will be a few hundred if it is really bad on it, but beyond that is looks fair. I know a few pictures doesn't show much, but even looks like a lot of the original zip ties are in place. No major chunks out of the cabinet. Not flawless, but not bad. Inside looks like no water issues and the parts look nice and shiny.

#27 10 years ago

going to needa new flap ramp tho. That one is cracked on both sides. PIA to fix, but not horrible.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm with Vid on this one. Definitely closer to 1500. I've picked up nice ones in the past for 2k or under that were fully working.

#29 10 years ago

better check if that drop target is there or broken. Looks like it's just a hole or the drop is adjusted way to low.

that playfield is dirty as shit, but there isn't wear on it. That hole looks great and the inserts look awesome. WIll clean up super nice. If it's not working, i'd go $1200 on it, just because you don't know about that prism card.

#30 10 years ago

That is a $1500 RFM. Cleaning that up and fixing the monitor will be a good deal of work.

#31 10 years ago

didn't see the part that the monitor has issues. $1500 or less is a good price then.

#32 10 years ago

Neo...can't really see the drop target, you're right. Can of worms potentially....I was thinking $2k is a fair price, but the consensus seems to be shifting....

#33 10 years ago

yea, I misspoke before. Didn't know there was issues. If it was fully working but just dirty, 2k would have been good. If the monitor needs a cap set and what not, go $1500. it will clean up nice tho and could be a nice looking game.

#34 10 years ago

skip ramp looks cracked.

also check under the hood where the side martian stand up targets are screwed to the wood. some RFM you will find cracked wood where they are screwed into the playfield.

can't tell if the drop target is too low or missing

DIRTY game... diamond in the rough should clean up nicely

stroke of luck hole is NICE compared most route games

any cracked plastics?

#35 10 years ago

Spoke with the owner. He was pretty hell bent on $2k, but I tossed him a lower number. I was honest. I said without video I can't even look at the menus to see any diags or status, and I'm going in totally blind.

He's going to mull it over. I gave him my price. He may go for it or he may try to fix it himself. But I've done this enough times to know to not jump on something just because it's there and I want it. Patience is hard to come by, but I won't overpay for an unknown.

I will report back and see. Maybe the guy will call me back, maybe he won't. Maybe I pissed away a machine that's a diamond in the rough. Maybe it will come back around to me.

#36 10 years ago

Here's a few pics of my playfield just so you know what it could look like.DSC01171.JPGDSC01171.JPGDSC01173.JPGDSC01173.JPGDSC01172.JPGDSC01172.JPG

#37 10 years ago

Guy reached back out to me last night with a price slightly under $2k by text message. I gave him my number (I offered a fair $1700 I think). Said I'd come up a bit if he was willing to deliver or meet me partway. He told me this morning he has a buyer at $2k sight unseen. So be it. I'm not losing sleep over it. Little bummed, but that's fine. There will be others, and I have my TZ to work on for now!

#38 10 years ago

I think you were generous at 1700.00 RFM stock in very good condition is 2400-2600. That one was a project machine (the kind I love) and would have taken some work and parts to bring back. If the PF was that dirty you can be sure the CPU section is the same.

#39 10 years ago

Yeah. My big concern with no video is just whether it's the monitor or something bigger than that. For $1700, that's the "nothing major" price, but one thing wrong, one cracked ramp or other oddball part and I'm it for a more than its worth. And I don't want one that badly that I'm going to sink more cash than its worth. I know of a few $2500 ones hanging around that are clean and working 100%.

#40 10 years ago

yea, at $2500 your already on the high side. They are hard to sell for $2500. Hence why when it's all said and done, you want to be around the $2000-2100 range.

#41 10 years ago

Don't worry - it truly wasn't that long ago that RFM was a $2k game in perfect working condition all day long, and I expect it will head back there. The release of NuCore gave the games a bump, as it made them less of ticking time bombs then they were, but now that is gone the danger of having one go bad with a super expensive fix is still there (and NuCore was also a super expensive fix, to be fair). $1700 was a MORE than fair price for it, and you may have been really lucky to have it slide away.

#42 10 years ago

Yup...it wasn't meant to be and I didn't want it badly enough, so I'm good...now I can buy more stuff for my TZ

#43 10 years ago

If you ever want to play RFM, come on over

Let me know thought cause I would need to switch it back!

Chris

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Don't worry - it truly wasn't that long ago that RFM was a $2k game in perfect working condition all day long, and I expect it will head back there. The release of NuCore gave the games a bump, as it made them less of ticking time bombs then they were, but now that is gone the danger of having one go bad with a super expensive fix is still there (and NuCore was also a super expensive fix, to be fair). $1700 was a MORE than fair price for it, and you may have been really lucky to have it slide away.

I thought rumor around the campfire was that NuCore was not being made anymore ...?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I thought rumor around the campfire was that NuCore was not being made anymore ...?

The release of NuCore gave the games a bump, as it made them less of ticking time bombs then they were, ***but now that is gone*** the danger of having one go bad with a super expensive fix is still there (and NuCore ***was*** also a super expensive fix, to be fair).

The above is what I said. I highlighted the areas where I said that NuCore was not available. I know of nothing that says otherwise.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The release of NuCore gave the games a bump, as it made them less of ticking time bombs then they were, ***but now that is gone*** the danger of having one go bad with a super expensive fix is still there (and NuCore ***was*** also a super expensive fix, to be fair).

I agree that NuCore gave these games a bump, but I'm not so sure I agree that it's the better solution. I looked at NuCore as a way of future-proofing a pin2k investment. Unfortunately, now that they've apparently killed the product and terminated support without releasing the software as open source, is it really more secure/future proof? It's no less proprietary than the original and unlike the boards there's no one providing support for NuCore.

OP, that's the cruddiest RFM playfield I've ever seen. Didn't see a lot of wear around the scoop so it might clean up nice, but way better examples can be had for a few hundred more as others have said. I scored a very nice one (albeit still with CRT) for $2500 a few months ago.

#48 10 years ago

I say you got lucky that you did not bite @ $1700.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The above is what I said. I highlighted the areas where I said that NuCore was not available. I know of nothing that says otherwise.

Hey Dan,

I have asked many times and nobody seems to have the answer. Are these really a ticking time bomb? I have been in the hobby pretty hard for over 2 years and have not heard of a single Pin2K CPU issue.

At the same time, if there was an issue there is now a very cheap alternative with the Pinbox (bootlegged? nucore software). I bought a nucore but feel slightly silly that I spent all the money as it does not seem like it is or will ever be needed.

Does anyone with real insight/experience have info or evidence of Pin2K actually being a ticking time bomb?

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey Dan,
I have asked many times and nobody seems to have the answer. Are these really a ticking time bomb? I have been in the hobby pretty hard for over 2 years and have not heard of a single Pin2K CPU issue.
At the same time, if there was an issue there is now a very cheap alternative with the Pinbox (bootlegged? nucore software). I bought a nucore but feel slightly silly that I spent all the money as it does not seem like it is or will ever be needed.
Does anyone with real insight/experience have info or evidence of Pin2K actually being a ticking time bomb?

I've had mine for going on 3 years *knocks on wood*...Honestly, like most things around here the whole repair issue with these is way overblown. Replace the power supply and CPU fans and you should be fine for a while. Plus, Rob Anthony can and has been fixing these so it's a non-issue in my book. If you want one, buy one and enjoy it. If/when it poops out, either replace it with via repair from Rob or the "free" version of Nucore lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-how-bad-is-this-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.