VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (4 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (4 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whiskeytango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2250 5 years ago

Can someone get me a closeup photo of the Audio connector from the original amp? I'd like to create an adapter to hook it up to a new amp without cutting the harness.

I believe it's a standard PCI-E connector, butI want to be sure. Thanks!

41lETeSCT9L (resized).jpg41lETeSCT9L (resized).jpg
#2252 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

Molex Mini-Fit Jr partnumber:5566-06A

Cool. The image from the product sheet looks like the same keying.

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 9.48.19 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-25 at 9.48.19 PM (resized).png
1 week later
#2276 5 years ago

This RFM has clicking audio. Updated to 1.5 and everything tested good, but the audio still clicks. Diagnostic report show U109 checksum error, so I'm assuming this is the cause. Is there any option aside from replacing the ROM?

#2290 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

When installing Ep1 ROMs on a game that ran before with RFM 1.4 or 1.5 on it,
the game will report "checksum U109" problems. Disable Update SW before swap
and so a serial update of the sound and Program flash directly after swap.
http://www.pinball2000.de/pin2000_rfm_ep1_swap.html

The game had RFM on it already and I'm not doing a swap. I just updated the game from an earlier version.

#2292 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Just finished cleaning my 1000€ RFM wich i saved from getting junked... It’s incredible how well Diamondplate holds up even after 20 Years <3[quoted image]

She looks great and an incredible price too. Congrats!

#2294 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Hmmm. That was the only thing I dug up that mentioned the same checksum U109 error.

Yeah, me too.

2 weeks later
#2334 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Hey guy first of all Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Don’t forget about your RFM gift. 2.0 is now available. Thanks a lot applejuice to make a great game even greater.
Happy installing! [quoted image][quoted image]

I can't wait to try it!

#2346 5 years ago
Quoted from CommissarisRex:

For all of you that are struggling with updating the software, you don't need an old machine for that. It easily can be done using e.g. Windows 7 or 10, see the links bellow:
https://brianpeek.com/pinball-2000-software-update-with-windows-7-x64/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/updating-pin2k-rfm-swep1-code-with-win-78-no-serial-port
Let's thank Brian Peek to make this all possible.

I used the command line method to update to 1.5 not too long ago and it worked well. Using the same method to update to 2.0, fails every time. I think the system doesn't have enough memory and that's what's causing it to not respond & fail.

#2347 5 years ago

I'm looking forward to update instructions for Nucore/Pinbox users.

#2349 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Notes for updating pinbox systems (I will update these notes and add to my site as time allows. Please read carefully)
On a computer of your choice extract the files within the update exe (This is a basic zip file)
There are 6 files:
pin2000_50070_0200_bootdata.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_game.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_im_flsh0.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_pubboot.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_sf.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_symbols.rom
Copy the files to a spare usb drive
On your rfm pinbox computer, Navigate to folder /root/pinbox/update/rfm_15/ (either by logging into lxdm, or from command line, or using ssh/sftp etc)
Delete or move ALL the existing files within this folder
Copy the new files to this folder. Only the files, no additional folders.
Make sure the update.bin file from the original installation of pinbox is deleted/moved. This will be recreated from the new update files
Move/delete rfm_15.nvram* files from /root/pinbox/roms/savedata/ These files store the settings and high score data but may stop the update if not deleted/moved first.
Reboot the rfm computer
Enjoy v2.0 game code on pinbox

This worked well on my Pinbox system and will attempt the same procedure on Nucore soon.

Thanks!

#2351 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Notes for updating pinbox systems (I will update these notes and add to my site as time allows. Please read carefully)
On a computer of your choice extract the files within the update exe (This is a basic zip file)
There are 6 files:
pin2000_50070_0200_bootdata.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_game.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_im_flsh0.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_pubboot.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_sf.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_symbols.rom
Copy the files to a spare usb drive
On your rfm pinbox computer, Navigate to folder /root/pinbox/update/rfm_15/ (either by logging into lxdm, or from command line, or using ssh/sftp etc)
Delete or move ALL the existing files within this folder
Copy the new files to this folder. Only the files, no additional folders.
Make sure the update.bin file from the original installation of pinbox is deleted/moved. This will be recreated from the new update files
Move/delete rfm_15.nvram* files from /root/pinbox/roms/savedata/ These files store the settings and high score data but may stop the update if not deleted/moved first.
Reboot the rfm computer
Enjoy v2.0 game code on pinbox

Same process also worked on Nucore.

Cheers.

#2353 5 years ago

I've purchased high quality parts from Jim and happy to donate to the cause.

Thanks for your efforts.

#2358 5 years ago
Quoted from Crrispy:

Thanks, I know this, but this does not answer precisely my question, unless you mean that "original" includes the original 4MB. I know it's not a big deal to find an additional 4MB sdram, I even probably have this in a drawer, but for most people, it is way beyond what they can do....

1.8 and newer require 8MB of RAM.

Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]
*Will run on pinbox and original hardware
*8Mb ram still needed if running original hardware, based on my own tests, as set from v1.8 onwards

#2388 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Some links updated on my site
v2.0 Update Notes (changes etc)
https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp
Pinbox update help guide
https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/update_help.jsp
Donate links on there to should you wish to support this project.
I have a pub card here that i could update then send out for people to use to update then return. Would probably have to have a deposit made first so that it gets sent back when done and ready for the next user. If this is something of interest to you let me know.
Updated working in progress notes for v2.10
V2.10 RFM Update (Work in Progress Only)
Quick-Shot - Feature lamp effects improved for active hurry up
Quick-Shot - Added timer pausing for when ball enters/exits jets and upper lanes
Quick-Shot - Added timer pausing for when ball enters exits stroke of luck
Quick-Shot - fixed bug where some scenes background graphics were lost after hurry up ended (achieved or not)
Quick-Shot - Added speech for start and shot success
Question Mark - Percentage of mode selection updated. Autopsy now most likely mode
Question Mark - Martian Aerobics, renamed Martian Invaders
Capture Multiball - Added sneaky lock acknowledgement (lock from rear when lit avoiding diverter)
Capture Multiball - Added speech for ball locks
Capture Multiball - Added option for add_a_ball
Capture Multiball - Added add a ball display effect/ graphics
Bottom Lanes - added add a ball logic in conjunction with stroke of luck during multi ball play
Stroke of Luck - added add a ball logic during multi ball play (main, martian, bonus etc)
Circle Shots - Missiles are now only collected/fired when there is an unlit missile circle insert on the playfield
Circle Shots - Completing a set (4) missile shots now ups the bonus multiplier by 1 each time (on that ball)
Attract - updated lamp patterns to fix missing saucer rim 9 lamp on main pattern strobe
Skill Shot - Fixed Super Skill Shot activation which was broken
Outlane - Improved sound and speech calls logic

Should I hold off on using 2.0?

#2393 5 years ago

What's the going rate for a complete original computer? I'd like to sell the one I pulled.

#2411 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Test loom for shaker and knocker adding [quoted image]

Sign me up

1 week later
#2439 5 years ago
Quoted from creech927:

applejuice Is there any reason not to run this on location? It looks awesome.

I have it running at a location. Nucore sometimes crashes, but that has nothing to do with the update.

#2440 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi,
just a quick note to say that i did the update on my genuine RFM with my laptop running win 10 64bits.
No issue !
I've used Brian's tuto : https://brianpeek.com/pinball-2000-software-update-with-windows-7-x64/
Running cmd with admin rights, unzip the exe from 2.0 rom and put the rom files in a C:/temp folder
unzip fupdate in the same folder
plugged my USB -> null modem and checked it's viewed as COM1 in win10 device manager
go to the correct folder with cd c:/temp
type : fupdate -fpin2000_50070_0200_ COM1
nothing to do on the RFM
wait 15 minutes
play !
Butter easy, from 1.1 version, it's a new game
waiting now for the shaker !!

Did you set your baud rate to 9600 like Brian's post?

1 week later
#2465 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

How do you tell? Is it in the head or cabinet?

On startup and before the ROMs load: Nucore has a screen with it's logo, Pinbox has a crappy picture of the martian.

The original hardware is a black screen until the white rom loading screen shows up.

#2471 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Works perfect. It doesn't seem to cut out at all if i turn home down to 5 but it does up at 8 or 9. I still get a very slight crackle in the left diameter but it doesn't sound like the speaker is blown

I would double check the connections and connectors. If a terminal is oxidized or wire is loose, it can have that kind of impact.

1 week later
#2486 5 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hey guys, I got a problem with my Revenge. Seems my ball catcher backstop (#03-10008) plastic piece is broken off and I've not been able to find a new one as everyone so far seems to be "out of stock". Anyone have an extra one they'd want to sell me? Can't play the game without it.
John

Here ya' go.. Yelobird has it
https://themodcouplepinball.com/products/revenge-from-mars-pinball-nos-plastic-ball-catch-pb2000

#2503 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I DIY'd mine, because I preferred the version that the saucers LEDs are in sync with how many sucer light completions you have on the main ship. I just can't remember where the instructions were.

This would be cool to know

1 week later
#2529 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

No longer in the hunt. I found a new, in-the-box topper! Yeah!!!!

Nice score! I'm starting to look myself.

1 week later
#2545 5 years ago

I picked up some PUB cards and will be updating them to 2.0 soon.

#2546 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

applejuice : i'm done with the cleaning part, ready for shaking this beauty ![quoted image]

That's a beauty..

#2550 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Where did you find PUB cards? I've had no luck and I'd like to update my RFM.

Overseas

#2551 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Would you mind sharing the process for updating PUB cards? I can't seem to track down the info for it.

http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/dotcom/tech/pin2000/software.html

#2553 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

why do you bother with pub card when a USB cable is cheaper and easier to use ?

- Sometimes updating over USB/Serial fails for no apparent reason. This has happened to me on a third of the Pin2k games I've worked on.
- A PUB card is faster, super easy to use and you don't need another computer. (Aside from the programmer, of course. )
- It's fun to make my 22 year old, Windows 95 PC still make the cards.
OlzWQ4AIQ2C%zNit4N8Ieg (resized).jpgOlzWQ4AIQ2C%zNit4N8Ieg (resized).jpg

#2557 5 years ago

I have some programmed PUB cards if anyone is interested.

I could do a sale or rental similar to LockWhenLit, but better priced.

PM me if you're interested.

#2572 4 years ago

Hey @applejuice, What hardware should be purchased for 2.10? I understand looms haven't shipped/billed yet, but I want to make sur eI have everything ready.

#2575 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The shaker motors can be anything really that runs at 12v but I think std stern ones should be ok. The loom will come with a seperate 2a in-line fuse to install and the connectors to hook upto the loom as there’s no extra drive board needed
The knocker mech I’m still working out. There’s the Addams option or a gottlieb type knocker bracket or something else custom. Want to try an avoid loads of loom upto the head. Thoughts welcome though

There are a few options @ PBL. The WPC is simple and has a common connector.
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=knocker

As for the position, I think anywhere towards the back of the cabinet would be good. The head would be nice, but that would be a long run.

#2585 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I may be being a little overcautious but I wouldn't want that thing too close to the monitor.

Agreed. That why I think the back of the lower cabinet would be best.

#2588 4 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

So I see on the site that this is pinbox, and original hardware compatible. Does this not work with Nucore?

I have the new code running on Pinbox, Nucore and original hardware.

#2589 4 years ago
Quoted from bbriese:

I just installed WT's 2.0 PUB card update into my original PC box...wasn't planning on doing this update since I'm not an IT guy, but the PUB route sounded simple. It was so easy and took a total of 5 minutes. Thanks for making this painless, WT!

Glad you’re able to enjoy the new code!

1 week later
#2603 4 years ago

Also available on Amazon.

300W
https://www.amazon.com/Athena-Power-AP-AT30-Supply-Connector/dp/B0042P2IIG

400W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017O243SQ

I typically use an over wattage PSU when I do arcade builds. Everything runs cooler and less demand is placed on the unit.

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I just ordered the 400W for my RFM I bought last month. Could someone recommend a suitable replacement for the CPU fan?

This is the one I've used recently; It's the right size and moves more air than most.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S1DN66

This also looks good, but I haven't ordered one yet because the feedback is it's pretty loud.
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-3-Pin-6000RPM-Speed/dp/B00KDR0Q22

If you're in the computer to deal with the fan, I would remove the heatsink, clean off all the old thermal product and apply new.

Personally, I've being using thin thermal pads as they have better thermal conductivity than paste, 17W/(mK) vs the 8.5 W/(mK) of Arctic MX-4.

#2607 4 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

What you really want to do is replace that dinky little heatsink with something substantial. This is the heatsink/fan combo I put in a couple P2K machines:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150010
Unfortunately, that particular one is no longer available. Cost was $10 + $5 shipping.
[quoted image]
It just barely fit in there though!

FeminineImaginativeHellbender-size_restricted (resized).pngFeminineImaginativeHellbender-size_restricted (resized).png

#2615 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

My friend's RFM has started turning off, here is the info I have:
1. He said it takes longer than usual lately to boot up, maybe 1 minute now and it didn't used to take that long.
2. When the game finally boots, he can start a game and the ball ejects into the shooter lane as usual. After flipping the ball around for about 10-15 secs the game shuts off completely and does not respond again until it's power cycled.
He still has the original capacitors on the PC motherboard so I will be replacing them as a good practice. What else could cause the complete shutdown? Could it be a bad MOV or something else on the power line? Would a failing AT power supply cause this?
Thanks in advance for any help. I still have a lot to learn about pin2k.

I had this on an SWE1 and recapping fixed the problem. It wouldn't hurt to replace the power supply and CPU fan though.

#2616 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Thanks for the reply. He said it turns "completely off" but I will confirm with him that the fans are also not running. If the power supply needs to be replaced is there another drop-in replacement AT power supply? I had some old notes that this one works but it's no longer available :/ amazon.com link »

Here are two you can use.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/53#post-4923241

#2624 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

v2.10 is going through final testing. Release coming soon, for easter weekend hopefully

Sweet!

#2634 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

This is great, I just wish I knew how to do it. I'm happy for all you guys.

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I don't know anyone with a pub card either so currently I have no way to recover from a bricked game, thus the scare to do it.

I sell updated PUB cards if you're interested. Others on this thread have used them and it's a straightforward process.

Direction for use from Williams:

Using a PUB card to update a Pinball 2000™ Machine

To transfer a Pinball 2000™ update from a PUB card to your machine, follow these simple steps:

1) Turn off the power to the machine.
2) Use Backbox key to remove the backglass.
3) Slide the Logic all the way forward and let it pivot downward.
4) Remove the Logic Box Cover.
5) Make sure the jumper on the PUB card has been removed or is only on 1 of the 2 jumper pins.
6) Insert the PUB card in the open ISA slot in the logic box. The components on the card (on the same side as the written text) should face the rear of the machine.
7) Turn power on. The screen will show the progress of the 2-minute process.
8) Turn power off when indicated on the screen.
9) Remove the card by using the top edge as a handle.
10) Replace Logic Box Cover and secure the Logic Box and Backglass.
11) Turn power on to operate your updated machine.

As for the serial cable method, check out this link on how to do on a modern PC.

#2637 4 years ago

applejuice I'd like to get your saucer mod and was curious how/if your updated code interacts with it.

1 week later
#2673 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

3 things. 1) Buy a shaker & knocker loom from me (there is a queue) . 2) Buy a std stern shaker motor (sam variety best). 3) if you want a real knocker to, then order a DE style one, or I can supply a parts list to use for all wms parts.

applejuice Will this loom be wired for the light up martians? The two I have now are just wired into the GI.

#2688 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

No, this is a loom for adding a real shaker and knocker only. These are both cabinet devices not playfield ones
My code work to add properly controlled Martian eyes will just work from the regular playfield lamp matrix. This is not implemented yet though other than lamp test

Good to know. I'm assuming this would involve moving them from the GI to specific output on the matrix.

#2692 4 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

There is no GI on P2K... they are all controlled lamps.

I forgot about that, thanks.

Quoted from wayout440:

Shakers and knockers are considered coils, not lamps.

I'm aware and wasn't referring to a coil-driven device.

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

And i guess you do know the martian eye lamps were new lamps positions added in v2.10 for future updates and for people who upgrade the rubber martians

Upgraded the little buggers and I can't wait.

#2731 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

For clarity.... your definition of a null modem is likely a small 'dongle' to put inline at the end of a standard DB9 serial cable - however, I have a null modem cable - which should (since it is female on both ends) go right from the RFM to a PC serial port.....is this correct?

A null modem cable will work. Most RFMs still have the connector just inside the coindoor to make it a little easier.

#2757 4 years ago
Quoted from CommissarisRex:

Is this the recommended shaker motor that you mean?
https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/stern-shaker-motor-kit-for-sam-system-games (also known as Rev B)
Just to be sure

Yep

#2765 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I know most people in this group already have a RFM but if you know someone looking I am selling my HUO machine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/79048

Damn. I wish this was closer.

#2779 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Is this safe? What changed?

Safe? Mostly. It did set one of my games on fire, but I was able to flip it on eBay..

#2783 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Not sure jokes are a good idea. I don't want people emailing me worrying...

My sincere apologies for the levity.

The updates have not caused any harm to the 2 x Nucore, 2 x PinBox & 4 x original hardware I've personally installed them on. Additionally, the feedback from PUB cards buyers has all been positive.

As outlined by by @wayout440, the manufacturer had to put a failsafe in because they know anything can happen when on route.

#2816 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Sample loom is here. Checking it in my game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!

#2820 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Sample loom is here. Checking it in my game.

I checked the standard Stern SAM shakers and the motors have different connectors as they connect to a board. I'm assuming that one of the 2-pin molex connecters is intended for the shaker and would require a new connector installed.

#2823 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The loom has 2 standard molex connectors for connecting up a shaker and knocker. There are various shakers and knockers you can use so the connectors are like this so you can fit whatever you choose. The appropriate male ends and pins will be included so you can connect your items. If you use a stern shaker you don't have to use the board, you can just connect to the motor cable if you include a 2a fuse in line. The choices are many and its up to the individual.
These looms are already in use as i was making them manually beforehand so its all proven.
I will create an install doc about it when i get time.

Excellent. Thank you, sir.

#2825 4 years ago

That is a bit different from the manual..

I'm interested to see what others have used.

#2826 4 years ago

I have some PUB cards left if anyone is interested.

#2830 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Few new features that I'm working on. More details later. Maybe you'll want to stay up til midnight in the future??

<everyone look both ways> I set the clock, right?

Excellent work, Jim.

#2836 4 years ago

Already set aside.

#2847 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Folks that are running pinbox or newcore... what PC hardware are you running? I want to keep my CRT so I need to run something with a early model ATI card so it will run at 15 kHz... but beyond that does it matter much?

I've built several systems with ATI Radeon HD 5450s for 15kHz output.

#2855 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Excellent that’s the one I have. What CPU family? Something dual core or better I assume. I don’t mind picking up an older PC but would like to get something that isn’t too old.
Thanks!

I use higher end C2D systems either DIY or a SFF Optiplex.

#2857 4 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Anyone have experience with Cointaker's Red Tremor shaker motor? I've never played a pin Before with a shaker and thought maybe this one for the new update. Some concerns people had is it shakes too much and could blow a node on the spike system. Since its SAM compatible should be good for RFM right? I heard it can really rattle a machine but you can buy a cheap adjester to tone it down. What shaker fo you think would have the most appropriate feel and fit for RFM?

The Red Tremor was way too much on my ST Premium. I would use a regular SAM shaker.

#2861 4 years ago
Quoted from Giulio:

Problem is (I think) this would work for windows only, (typically for Groovy Mame setups, etc.), did you succed with Pinbox linux distribution too? Me too I would like to find a solution Pinbox+CRT. By the way I did setup a very nice solution with dark blacks and a scanlines generator (same image as CRT), paired with Dell 2007FP..

I have the same monitor I was thinking about using. The current CRT works alright, but could use a cap kit.

#2863 4 years ago
Quoted from demaximis:

WhiskeyTango - Do you know how to program the pubcard? I have one, but have no idea how to load Applejuice's 2.0+ versions on it, and cannot seem to find any instructions/tutorials for this? If you know, and are willing to share, would be much appreciated.
Also, I too have some microswitches to replace. Is there any consensus on which replacements to use? I've seen references to cherrys, db3s, etc. -- looking for the best plug-and-play option, with least future maintenance headaches (assuming such a thing exists in pinball...

You can find the instructions and download the software from Planetary Pinball or you can send me your card and I'll update it.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/pin2000/

For the switches you can use the newer switch body and move the actuator wire over.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-sub-microswitch-5647-12693.html

#2864 4 years ago

I'm getting a lot of light bleed around the sides of the CRT.

Does anyone have a solution they've used aside from paper strips?

I'm almost tempted to use a weatherstripping to fill the void, but I figured I would ask here first.

#2867 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

The answer directly from one of the Pinball 2000 makers:
http://www.pinball2000.de/pin2000_misc.htm#Neonlight

I guess I was on the right track and my google-foo failed me. Thanks.

#2871 4 years ago
Quoted from demaximis:

Helpful info on the swithces - order in, and many thanks.
However, I must be missing something on the PUB update process. I've perused the PUB update files on the Planetary Pinball site, and the pub update files are locked to the official versions of the software. I do not see a generic "PUB updater" file, which I could use to load Applejuice's software. Am I missing something? I feel like the tools are staring me in the face, but I can't figure out how to make them work together! Any help is appreciated.

Edit the shortcut to point to the newer code.

#2872 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Midnight Madness mode creation underway. graphics work and testing. Creating the classic mode in pinball 2000 technicolour!
[quoted image]

This is gonna be great..

#2895 4 years ago

Installed the shaker motor today..

#2900 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Hope you like the additions. Really adds to the game i think. Still love my addition for the catapult on paris in peril

Can't wait for the looms to be done so I can feel it in action!

#2911 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Well, midnight madness is now included Video of game play below.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Byc0TzRHKkY/
Scene Select changes near midnight with a well known phrase to alert you and also the attract clock changes colour
[quoted image]

Shiny

3 weeks later
#2973 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

FINALLY I think I’ve got my nucore system working properly with my Dell Optiplex 960.
I took the nucore installation iso and updated it to correct the path for the sources for the distro (since they need to be pointed to the "old-releases" website and included all the updates so that its a complete current install of nucore.
So now I can basically follow the original nucore manual installation process and it works !

I'd be interested in this..

2 weeks later
#3037 4 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Got my shaker in!
I used the 3rd party shaker kit from Pinball Life. Everything went well, including relocating the tilt mech from the right side of the cab to the left, but when I went to drop the playfield, I found that the feet on the right hand ski was resting on top of the shaker cover. I just cut a small hole in the cover, which seemed like the most reasonable solution. Given the available area and the size of the cover, I'm not sure if this would be avoidable with this particular kit.
I'm more than happy to be wrong.
The shaker really adds a LOT to this game, thanks so much @applejuice![quoted image]

I'm encountering the same issue and this is an interesting solution. Would you share a picture showing it with the play field up?

#3042 4 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Sure.
This kit uses a different concept for covering the weights than the one that applejuice used. That one just covers the weights, this one covers the whole assembly. I assume that the idea is to keep errant wires, etc. out of the swing of the weights rather than act as a dust cover, so I'm not worried about cutting into the middle part.

I have a similar/same kit. I used an official Stern kit I had leftover from another project. Unfortunately, I mounted mine further back and it's hitting on the end by the weight. It will have to be relocated when I have some time. I'm honestly tempted to move is where the coin box would go, but that might hurt me on resale.

Quoted from applejuice:

Why didn't you just mount the shaker to the far rhs side, as your pic shows a gap of about an inch next to the cab side? Others have mounted the stock stern shaker ok without cutting into the case.

I ran into the same issue as Zennmaster and I mounted mine further back. Only difference is I'm going to put the fuse on the plywood cross member.

#3050 4 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

I'm really not sure why this seems to have become such a big issue among people.
The 3rd-party Stern-compatible shaker that I got from Pinaball Life came with an ugly, bulky, flimsy and not terribly well-designed or manufactured cover, which gets in the way of a playfield foot. It's not integral to the design of the shaker, and only attaches to the top of the assembly after it's been installed, and prevents access to anything below it, including the mounting bolts. It seemed to me that it was a better idea to cut a small hole in a cheap plastic part that no one wold ever see rather than drill more holes in the bottom of my cabinet.
I don't see why this is a big deal. Nonetheless, it did start to bug me, so I spent 15 minutes with OpenSCAD and threw a set of end covers onto the Prusa using PETG.
The results are much more compact, much stiffer and stronger, look better and solve the issue.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Excellent work!

#3052 4 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

I've also got some translucent red PETG that I think would look pretty cool.

Ohh...sign me up for a set.

#3059 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

applejuice : how can I make a donation, shaker addition is so cool !

#3082 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Here is a drill/mounting template for the SAM shaker.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_evWok7HFRm9fF2oO7KdA2fCGo_aC76_
You've got about 1/16" of margin on the right side of the template, just cut along the dotted line, but I would not cut off the dotted line, otherwise your shaker may be too close to the wall. Mark your holes and do a quick “dry” fit of the motor before you commit to drilling. I hope this makes installation easy. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice work! You might want to include drill bit sizes and/or recommendations as well.

#3092 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Made a pigtail to mate the loom to the motor with in-line fuse...[quoted image][quoted image]

Exactly what I wanted to do. Nice work.

#3094 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Thanks, Yeah... I have issues ... I don’t like cutting off connectors. I also changed the knocker plug to a 3 pos to eliminate the possibility of accidentally connecting them wrong.
I have issues.

Well, you could make me one to assuage your guilt.

4 weeks later
#3147 4 years ago

Has anyone gotten around to wiring in the Martian eyes into 33A & 34A?

#3158 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/57#post-5008871
And look at this post for the proper rubber kit - everything else you will find is flat out wrong....

Yeah.. I updated two kits @ Titan based on this sheet.

1 week later
#3176 4 years ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

Does everyone have this, and should it be plugged in somewhere?

That is the reset for the motherboard.

Quoted from johnstewart:

What are people doing for power supplies on Pin2k's? Looks like you can jumper an ATX style power supply, which I think would be more reliable/efficient/modern, no?

I've been using the 400 watt version without issues.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017O243SQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

3 weeks later
#3249 4 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

This one here is a perfect drop in replacement, no need for converter as it will display the signal of the Pin2000 PC directly.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dell-u2410/overview
I did buy a used one for 80USD here in Europe.

Whoa.. this worked on original hardware without a sync adapter or CGA converter?

1 month later
#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from Tjohejsan:

The prism card is working. Tried it in another pinball 2000 computer.
And I have new psu.
The fan i dont know have to check

Those usually suffer from bad capacitors. If you have someone that can solder well, it's a relatively easy fix.

1 week later
#3374 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I am planning on upgrading all the bulbs to LED (no color). Too many good BF deals to not make the jump. I was wondering if anyone can assist me in this?
Do I need to worry about strobing with the GI or other lights that dim on RFM? Like when the top GI (where the skill shot is) dims the whole area?
Are there any LED bulbs that still work with the test/diagnostics report?
Pop bumpers have regular bayonet style #44 in them, right?
By a quick count I see I need: 57 #44, 55 #555, 3 #906, and 4 #89. Is that the proper quantity? I know that the manual was dead wrong for rubber parts, don't want to put in an order again just to find out something was wrong in the manual for the lamp matrices.
I was planning on using 2smd frosted soft or warm white all around.
Thanks!

Take a look at this advice from Comet Pinball.
https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/how-to-buy-pinball-leds

I've been following it for years and my games have come out great. As for which "white" to use, I've been moving my GI over to sunlight on most games. RFM is interesting because I think I went with Natural white. For flashers above the playfield, it depends; I put all LED flashers on my TAF and it was blinding, so most went back to standard flashers.

Like @j_m_ said, buy extras and experiment.

#3399 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

is there a way to update my stock code to yours on the stock rfm computer?

If you like the project, please support it.

There are two methods to do the updates: PUB cards and serial cable.

Using a PUB card to update a Pinball 2000™ Machine

To transfer a Pinball 2000™ update from a PUB card to your machine, follow these simple steps:
1. Turn off the power to the machine.
2. Use Backbox key to remove the backglass.
3. Slide the Logic all the way forward and let it pivot downward.
4. Remove the Logic Box Cover.
5. Insert the PUB card in the open ISA slot in the logic box. The components on the card (on the same side as the written text) should face the rear of the machine.
6. Turn power on. The screen will show the progress of the 2-minute process.
7. Turn power off when indicated on the screen.
8. Remove the card by using the top edge as a handle.
9. Replace Logic Box Cover and secure the Logic Box and Backglass.
10. Turn power on to operate your updated machine.

As for the serial cable method, check out this link on how to do on a modern PC.

#3408 4 years ago
Quoted from Tjohejsan:

Where can i find PUB cards?

Quoted from msj2222:

Also interested in using a pub card for the update..are any available out there? Would love to "rent" one and would be great if it was preloaded!!

I have some PUB cards left.

1 month later
#3474 4 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Just got my RFM up and running agin after my last Pinbox PC build bit the dust.
Went for something more ready made this time, I can recommend a Dell Optiplex 780 which can be picked up very cheap these days as a great plug and play option. Make sure you get the Small form factor (SFF) as it is a good size to just slot in and has the parallel port. It runs very smooth!

I have an Optiplex 760 SFF on the bench now can confirm it and various other flavors run well. With the right video card, you can even support existing CRTs.

#3477 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Interested in your setup procedure and target OS+PB2K engine

Pinbox seems to crash less than Nucore, which is a little ironic. The OS is a part of the install. The only issue with Pinbox is you have to fiddle with the settings a bit to get the CRT to work.

#3478 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Any info on CRT compatible video cards?

Flavors of the Radeon 5450 will work. Get the one with the dedicated ports and not the one that needs the pigtail/splitter connection.

#3480 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I was never 100% satisfied with where I landed with this in either case. I ended up getting an ArcadeVGA as a last resort for pinbox... and I had issues with my sound settings (driver or whatever) in new core. I got busy with restoration so I stopped working on it.

I had better luck with Intel over AMD on my builds, but you're right. Neither are perfect. I also have extra parts for the factory hardware just in case.

2 weeks later
#3506 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

unfortunately they do not ship to the U.S. unless you go thru ZITT here on pinside

I use a mail forwarding service out of Germany when I order. It's not the fastest, but it works.

1 month later
#3583 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I posted earlier but got no reply. How do you reprogram the PUB card? I bought one with a much earlier revision of Applejuice's software. I would love to keep it current, but it makes no sense to pop for a new PUB card every time there is an update.
Thanks.

- The only way to re-flash the PUB card is with a computer that has an ISA slot and a particular program.
- To update you game without a PUB card, use null modem method.

2 weeks later
#3686 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Another update on the new updater program
Bingo! Fathomed it. Deliberately bricked an update to make it unusable and so forced the game to boot from roms, then ran my updater.
This is the first native update from a mac i think and also the first update ever not to use fupdate.exe

As an Apple engineer, this is even cooler. Great work!

Now what do I do with my PUB cards?

7 months later
#4258 3 years ago

Cleaning out some spare parts if anyone is interested:

- Complete Pinball 2000 Computer(audio amp, PRISM Board, etc) running RFM 2.22 and ATX PSU
- PRISM daughterboard with RFM ROMs

IMG_0486 (resized).jpegIMG_0486 (resized).jpegIMG_0485 (resized).jpegIMG_0485 (resized).jpegIMG_0484 (resized).jpegIMG_0484 (resized).jpegIMG_0483 (resized).jpegIMG_0483 (resized).jpegIMG_0487 (resized).jpegIMG_0487 (resized).jpeg
#4268 3 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Cleaning out some spare parts if anyone is interested:
- Complete Pinball 2000 Computer(audio amp, PRISM Board, etc) running RFM 2.22 and ATX PSU
- PRISM daughterboard with RFM ROMs
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry for the delay, but will respond to PMs shortly.

2 weeks later
#4339 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Does anyone have the VGA breakout cable from a Cyrix 586 GXM-AV motherboard? (see pic)
I bought a replacement motherboard from someone, but it didn't come with the cable, and my original motherboard had a different kind. I looked for the pinout in the manual, but it's not there.
Perhaps someone has a busted motherboard and would sell me the cable? Worst case, perhaps someone has a nice high-res photo of the back of their cable pcb I can use to figure out the pinout and make my own?
[quoted image]

I have this, but it's part of bundle at the moment.

1 week later
#4370 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I hope people will donate for each release of the software not just once as this stuff doesn't write itself. and we had no updates for 20 years previously.

Thanks for the reminder.

1 month later
#4457 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Machines running nucore/pinbox can still accept quarters (are not home use only)?

They can accept currency; I've fixed a few on routes.

6 months later
#4868 2 years ago
Quoted from kcirrick:

Thanks folks! I guess this is a prototype for my prototype RFM. I may tinker with it a bit more. I'm thinking of putting those color changing bulbs under the dome. I'm curious to see how they look.

A slip ring power connector might be what you need.

1 week later
#4900 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

more new & original graphics inc. new backgrounds for variation of existing modes and to add extra depth to the game
we are reaching the limit of space though on original hardware now. If only the prism card had 8mb of flash instead of 4!

Interesting advantage for Pinbox users.

1 week later
#4918 2 years ago
Quoted from STF-RFM:

The biggest problem at the moment (imho) is installing it. There are installers floating on the internet if you search for it but they are old. You need updates for the Ubuntu system that goes with the installer but that Ubuntu version is no longer supported so the automatic updating isn't working correctly. Some good searches on fora will give you several options on Linux code lines you can use manually to get the updates done, but that can be somewhat challenging. I've done it several times and everytime I think I know the drill, but somehow there's a reason the updating isn't working properly. But I'm not a coding wizard and have to do it with only common sense and a lot of trail and error Once you've got it running it runs smoothly though! And updating to Applejuice's software versions is also very very easy when you run Pinbox.

Here is what I use to setup Pinbox for customers and did this for a local pinball shop a couple of weeks ago.

*** Make sure PC is connected via Ethernet ***

1. Install Pinbox from ISO.
2. When process is complete and it dumps to the command prompt after reboots, follow the process below:

Login as pinbox user(pinbox/pinbox)
sudo su
sed -i s/us.archive.ubuntu/old-releases.ubuntu/g /etc/apt/sources.list
sed -i s/security.ubuntu/old-releases.ubuntu/g /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get purge lxdm
mv /etc/lxdm /etc/lxdm.orig
apt-get install lxdm
cp /root/pinbox/scripts/pinbox.dekstop /etc/xdg/autostart
rm /etc/init.d/pinbox
reboot

Open Terminal Application
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge xscreensaver
reboot

3. Make sure to adjust the Audio level in the Linux GUI.

*** You will need to use the Nucore audio amp or re-wire the speakers for use with a standard 2.1 amp like this(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070Z87YO/) ***

Notes:
- I use high GHz Core2Duo at a minimum and SSDs to reduce boot times.
- You can get these to work on CRT with a special flavor of the Radeon 5450, but the drivers are finicky

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 85.00
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
7,500 (OBO)
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whiskeytango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=whiskeytango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.