IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (5 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (5 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 9 years ago

"We will bake you cookies!"

Just checking in - great thread!

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

So much better than AFM, how so?

Secret Weapon! AFM doesn't have Robo-Lincoln.

#174 9 years ago

Beautiful job on that cabinet! Thread favorited for when I do my Whirlwind.

6 months later
#354 9 years ago

A spare ATX power supply, Cyrix CPU and CPU fan are all I need to sleep well at night.

1 week later
#378 9 years ago

Might be a good idea to change the tagline to be less...topical.

Check out http://www.gamesurge.com/arcade/pinball_games/revenge_from_mars/quotes.shtml.

My candidates:
"15th president wins"
"Nice work, soldier!"
"I like big weapons!"
"Take that, broccoli head!"
"A drink for my ugly green buddy"
"We will bake you cookies!"
"We will pummel you with fruit!""

3 months later
#598 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I have to agree and here is why: The tube monitor is bulky and heavy. It can also have issues with color and it's hard to get really good blacks to make the illusion of stuff floating on the playfield actually look that way.

Al, you think LCD monitors have better blacks than CRT? I've always heard that CRT sets the benchmark for blackest black. I'm sure there's an expectation bias here, but I've seen multiple RFMs with LCDs, and they didn't look as good as CRT to me. If only there was a 19" plasma TV...

BTW I agree about the NuCore advantages. I just can't justify the $ and time to upgrade.

#599 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Has anybody else bought a piece of pin2k glass from Rob Anthony? We got a new sheet yesterday and it has a frosted coating on the lower playfield. I am told it is a protectant and it should be removed with goof off......does this sound right?

Yes, and don't use a razor blade - it can scratch the glass.

#601 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

So just goof off and rag then?

Goo-Gone, not Goof-Off. Goof-Off is some pretty harsh stuff.

#604 8 years ago

I think what Al means is that the animations are smoother, since the CPU/GPU are more powerful. I'm pretty sure NuCore is still pushing out the same resolution.

#664 8 years ago

I guess it's hard to keep politics out of a thread that starts with "Hillary, come here!"

For equal time, there oughta be a pin with GWB and GHWB in it. Tilt warning sound: "Wouldn't be prudent". Outlane drain: "Fool me can't get fooled again!"

5 months later
#767 8 years ago

Wayout, it could be an issue with the ROMs on the Prism card. Maybe they need to be reseated? It could also be bad RAM (caused the same problems on my wife's PC).

5 months later
#992 7 years ago

It's CRT or nothing for me; LCD looks wrong and it's a downgrade.

#995 7 years ago

I guess like anything, an LCD is a mod, reversible if you keep the original CRT. I can't deny that the CRT makes the head heavy as hell.

#998 7 years ago

^^^ THAT is the right vehicle to transport an RFM, gentlemen.

6 years later
#5984 1 year ago

I’ve had my RFM for 17 years, and yesterday I picked up a non-working SWE1 to complement it. I wasn’t looking for a SWE1, but the price was too good to pass up. I’m looking forward to getting my hands dirty with Pinball2000 again.

If anyone knows a source for a new playfield for either game, I’d appreciate it. Both of mine have insert wear.

#5986 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’ve had my RFM for 17 years, and yesterday I picked up a non-working SWE1 to complement it

I really lucked out - it was just a dead AT power supply. I’m looking forward to shopping it out and showing my P2K pride after I host my Classics tournament in May. I’m not sure what to do about this insert wear. I’ll probably try to level it somehow and then cover it in mylar.

AF5F0E65-D008-4907-BE0B-E87FDA6E6F58 (resized).jpegAF5F0E65-D008-4907-BE0B-E87FDA6E6F58 (resized).jpeg3D009500-3C93-45F6-B2C9-A09B6DFFAA2F (resized).jpeg3D009500-3C93-45F6-B2C9-A09B6DFFAA2F (resized).jpeg
#5988 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

I have the same type of insert wear on my RFM. Insert replacement the correct way looks like a giant PITA...

Yup. I was thinking of having someone make an overlay of the ship, to cover up the damage. I haven’t shopped this playfield at all; it’ll look better once I do.

#5990 1 year ago
Quoted from Nickz4860:

I received a replacement nucore computer today, hooked it up and everything works. It is a dell optiplex 960sff. Does anyone have any idea where/how I can mount it? I thought I might be able to slide into the slot for the original computer but it’s too small. If possible, I would prefer to find a way to secure it without having to screw into the head.Thanks for any suggestions!

Maybe mount it on a slab of plywood that fits on the rails?

1 week later
#6012 11 months ago

I’m looking for documentation on how the prism card works, particularly how the flash and the ROM daughtercard are related.

My SWE1 is running 1.0, and I’m looking for the easiest path to 1.4. If I had my friend burn 10 new ROM chips, would that work? Or does the Prism Update Board (PUB card) have to be present? Really confused right now.

#6014 11 months ago

I found this info:

https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/pin2000/notes/update.html

…and you’re right, the ROMs are OTPs and they’re just meant for a fallback.

7E9097BB-F7BF-43DD-A1F2-25AFA1ACBB2B (resized).jpeg7E9097BB-F7BF-43DD-A1F2-25AFA1ACBB2B (resized).jpeg
#6015 11 months ago

Looks like my best bet is to find (or build) a really old laptop with COM ports and install Windows XP on it. Or, I could try to get it working on VirtualBox.

#6018 11 months ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Just use our new update software for windows 10 or Mac osx and our tested leads. Easy 2 minute job!!
Forget windows xp and shitty old laptops

Oh awesome - this will work with the original P2K hardware? I have a USB-to-DB9 adapter, and I’ve ordered the null modem adapter. I got as far as running fupdate on my Windows 10 laptop and realized I needed the null modem bit.

EDIT: never mind - I see the Original/PinBox selector.

Thanks,
John

#6023 11 months ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Get a usb-serial port cable

Yep, the trick was to throw away the one I bought 10 years ago, and get the new Sabrent one. Worked great with Windows 11 and fupdate.

#6025 11 months ago
Quoted from troxel:

Anything to adjust from preventing the ball from going SDTM when the ball leaves the pop bumper area? This happens about 33% of the time. My guess is the side rails, but not much room for adjustments. [quoted image]

You can try putting washers under one side of the scoop. This worked for me on Rush.

#6028 11 months ago

#6031 11 months ago

I was so excited to have SWE1 and RFM together, I signed up to bring them both to Southern Fried Gaming in July. I’m having hernia surgery in mid-June, so it’ll be…interesting. I think it’ll be fine since I’ll have help from friends.

3 weeks later
#6092 10 months ago

I swapped in a Dell Ultrasharp 2000FP into my SWE1 today - thanks to whoever recommended it, because it’s perfect. The display is exactly the same size and aspect ratio as the CRT: 16”x12”. I still plan to recap the original CRT, but I wanted to see it next to RFM (which has a CRT) to see which I like better. The reduction is weight is a big plus.

Another monitor I’ve seen recommended is the Ultrasharp 2007FP. Unfortunately that monitor is very popular for upgrading Arcade 1Ups, so bidding competition is fierce.

IMG_3047 (resized).jpegIMG_3047 (resized).jpeg
#6095 10 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I want someone to design a proper aspect ratio OLED screen... then maybe; just maybe I'd consider upgrading from the CRT.

I’ve been on team CRT for the 17 years I’ve owned RFM. This is kind of an experiment - I want to see how much I can tell the difference. I’m also backed up on projects, so this lets me back-burner capping the CRT until after SFGE.

Would love to see a 16”x12” OLED panel for these games.

#6102 10 months ago

I used an ATX power supply to fix my SWE1. You just need to ground PS_ON (pin 16). You’ll also need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZPWJBX

IMG_0107 (resized).jpegIMG_0107 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

7,500 (OBO)
$ 85.00
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.