IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (5 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (5 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3558 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

So here it is. A newly remade prism card separator tool. With a keychain hole ready so its not lost!

£15 plus shipping wherever you are. This again helps support the development of more code as well as helping to keep my business going.

I'll buy one (I don't need one soon I suppose, but it's nice to support you and at the same time to have it 'just in case').
I just installed your 2.20 code, thank you so much for adding a lot! I have only played 2 games but I think I already heard some quotes I've never heard before, and I like that the game seems to be more complex now. I've never owned NIB, now I know what it's like when owning a game that gets a nice software update

#3559 4 years ago

One seperate post about updating the RFM prism card with a null modem cable and windows XP. Somehow I had seen very late that there was a new version of RFM, and after that, I had some defects, so my update is late, I know. About the update itself:

- I thought I might have thrown away my old null modem cable, but I found it. Sometimes it's good to keep stuff you think you'll never need again
- Most time went into getting an old pc to work and installing Windows XP.
- When updating, things went wrong somehow (I was in the other room when I heard RFM resetting, but there was an error message). Fortunately I could make a connection again and I chose to update only the game-files on a lower baudrate (I read somewhere that that was more stable...I didn't read that beforehand though). That worked well. I didn't have any sound though, even though all roms tested well and the updater said that the sound files were the same as already installed (it said that with the gamefiles as well). After updating the sound again, that worked well too, so now I have the new custom software on my RFM. Thank you so much Jim for all the new code!

#3563 4 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

When i did my update it failed the first time also, I think it was because the laptop went into screen saver.

I'll surely disable the screensaver next time!

Another update coming, wow, thanks!

#3565 4 years ago

Suggestion for a possible rule:

Is it an idea to start Bonus Wave multiball with 2 balls if you have 0 flawless modes, and with 3 balls if you have 1 or 2 flawless modes and with 4 balls if you have all 3 modes flawless? You can already 'earn' add a balls, but starting with more balls would be an extra short-term motivation for finishing modes flawless.

1 week later
#3610 4 years ago

A question:

Does anyone know if instead of a BR2335 I can use a CR2335 for a PRISM card? The BR2335 is quite hard to get. When I google, I find this:
"Characteristically, CR type batteries begin with a slightly higher voltage than BR during discharge. However, as a CR cell discharges, the operating voltage drops over time because of the rise in internal impedance."
I'm not sure if that can be a problem for the PRISM board?

Edit: I know found this: https://www.master-instruments.com.au/files/knowledge-centre/engineering/guides-and-selection-charts/panasonic___selecting_the_right_lithium_battery_br_or_cr_series.pdf
It looks like it's safer to find a BR2335.

#3619 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I have good stock of them (br2325) and a quality make to - Panasonic

Do you sell them? If not, no problem: I'll find one somewhere. Just wondering if you'd mind selling one (or more, if others are interested too).

PS: The PRISM separator arrived. I'll find out how to use it when I have a BR-battery .

#3620 4 years ago
Quoted from maxrpm:

I used a strip of black Gorilla brand duct tape

Is duct tape enough? My plastic is missing as well, I wondered if it would be bad when the balls hit that iron bar a lot.

A problem I have, is that the ramp flap isn't always high enough. Most of the time it is, but sometimes it doesn't come up high enough to be able to make the shot, so you'll have to wait for it to lower and rise again (sometimes that happens only when you lose the ball ). I already tried adjusting the ramp-up switch a little, but maybe I'll have to do that some more.

#3631 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Yes I sell them £5 each plus postage. I can get as many as needed no worries

Great, I'll send you a PM.

#3632 4 years ago
Quoted from maxrpm:

I attached a pic of the Black Gorilla tape after about 1000 games. I also did not like the idea of the balls hitting bare metal straight on. I think it is holding up well.

I also attached a pic of the central flap solenoid assembly to show the adjustment slot that works for my game. It looks like it is adjusted all the way up. I also added a rubber ring in the gap at the end of the shaft to prevent it from sticking in the up position.

Thanks. Always good to have information and suggestions.

#3644 4 years ago
Quoted from TikiPinball:

Somehow that thing came up and I thought I was home free until I realized that this machine is MISSING the port (and the cable behind it).

For updating you can directly attach the null-modem cable to the pc in the 'backbox' of the game.

1 week later
#3693 3 years ago

I changed the PRISM-battery, thanks to applejuice for both the battery as well as the tool.
Because I wanted to be sure I did it right and wouldn't damage anything, I searched a bit and found this: http://www.pinball2000.de/prism_infos.html

A question about the motherboard of the computer itself: most capacitors all do look well (they're flat on top, not swollen). I suppose I don't need to replace those then, even though they're quite old by now? There's one where I have some doubt: it is just a little bit dirty on top, but it could be dirt from outside. See picture. Can I have your opinion?

IMG_20200423_174352 (resized).jpgIMG_20200423_174352 (resized).jpg
#3696 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Replacing them is wise, but keep in mind it is not easy, due to these being multi-layer boards with large power/ground planes.

Thank you both for your responses. I wouldn't mind replacing them in advance, like I've done with some capacitors on i.e. an opto board or WPC dirver board that were known to become faulty, but the second part of the sentence above is what worries me a bit. I've done quite a bit of soldering and desoldering, but never on a computer-motherboard (WPC cpu being the hardest I think I've had experience with).

Quoted from mattosborn:

If you don't replace them, then someday your game will not boot. You'll open it up and likely find those caps bulging, and then you'll have to replace them. Very unlikely that they will just burst out of the blue.

If this experience is shared, I won't mind waiting till that happens. It's just that I don't want the pc to become really damaged. I know you guys(/girls) can't give me any garantees, but do others share the expectation above?

#3697 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

fact:
even though the top of the caps may not be bulging, it's been 20 years since those electrolytic caps were installed. the typical life of an electrolytic capacitor is 5-7 years. as the liquid electrolytic dries up, the capacitors run hotter and hotter, causing the break-away section on the top to burst open

taking care of the problem (before you have a problem) may save yourself a whole bunch of anguish should one or more of them burst and potentially ruin your motherboard

potentially a better solution as a replacement are liquid polymer organic capacitors, which have a life of 25-35 years

Maybe I was too quickly with my last reply: reading this one again, that seems to indicate otherwise. I think I wanted to believe I didn't have to do it right now, sorry for that.

I think I'll search for an old motherboard to practise on and to see if I can do it myself.

Thank you both for answering! (If there are more readers with tips, don't hesitate to give them )

4 weeks later
#3802 3 years ago

You can buy a prism-divert-tool and battery from Applejuice. The tool works really nice to separate the two parts of the prism card.

1 week later
#3833 3 years ago

To make things harder: set the outlanes to fully open, adjust settings so it becomes harder (and install Applejuices software), don't let the ball stop when lighting a lock or shooting a loop, so it keeps speed. A game that's too easy for a player is never good.

3 months later
#4118 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

v2.22 is now out. Download at https://mypinballs.com

Thanks you for all the great work!

I'll install later, and will donate some small amount again later. I'm curious how the Power Drain feature will turn out to be in RFM (I like it in DI, so I suppose I'll like it ).

3 weeks later
#4172 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

You buy a new pcb and kit from me. The pcb plugs on to the existing opto board and the kit expands the stock trough boards. The software from v2.22 onwards automatically detects the extra hardware and increases the max balls in certain modes like add a ball and midnight madness. More additions will be added in v2.23 to such as mothership multiball, attack mars etc.

I just had a quick look at your site and I couldn't find it: is the expension to the 6 ball trough already listed, or not yet?

1 week later
#4182 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Not yet, but i can send you an invoice if you want one

I'm not sure yet if I'll buy one: I've bought too many pinball-things already that I never got around to installing yet, I must admit I know, it's mostly just a matter of freeing some time and just do it......

If you would send me the costs, that'd be nice.

1 month later
#4279 3 years ago

I've installed Jims / Apllejuices 6-ball-mod and it seems to be working well. Good to have cleaned under the apron now as well (it had become a little less colorfull there ).

About the caps on the monitor: I don't know if mine have been replaced, but I suppose it's good to find out and search for which capacitors to replace.

3 weeks later
#4373 3 years ago
Quoted from sniiki:

Then in a private chat I asked about the total price shipped and just told that atm with my several projects going on I can't buy it for budget reasons. You said "jeez" after that.
Then as you didn't answer me anymore after that (to the question about the matrix timings), I thought I probably shouldn't bother you anymore.

Snikki: I don't see much wrong in the public forum in your post or in MyPinballs' posts. I wouldn't have asked it in the RFM update part of the forum if I were you, but still: nothing wrong with your post, and nothing wrong with MyPinballs reply. His reply is polite and clear, and I think where things went wrong is when you again asked him for info about the matrix in a private message. Why would you do that after he's been clear that he has his reasons not to help you with your board? Somehow you don't feel that that's not a thing to do. Maybe you didn't intend to be aggressive or annoying, but how can you not think after the answer you got 'I shouldn't ask for further info, for MyPinballs has very good reasons not to help me with my mod and he made that very clear in a very polite answer'?
I would be annoyed too if I were him.

Quoted from sniiki:

or if I have somehow arrogantly requested something from someone

My answer to this is: you didn't start like that, but by asking him again, you did (no matter how very polite your question may have been).

I'd suggest to leave it behind you. If you want, you can ask others to help you. Please don't take this personally, but I hope you or someone else won't succeed and make it 'open to the community', for I hope MyPinballs will receive something back for all his hard work. To me it would be different if it was only the mod itself, but it's so much more: combined with the new software which I think most RFM-owners are very gratefull for.

PS: unless there's something really wrong that needs to be in the open, big harm done, like a really big scam to reveil, I don't think it's a good thing to send private messages to a public forum.

edit: MyPinballs, Applejuice, Jim.... sorry for when I use the company name where a persons name would fit better, typing is hard right after work

#4388 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Didn't know about custom code, it really makes the game better?

I think it does!

5 months later
#4732 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Never use a screwdriver …!

Oops... I always have so far (not that many times, but still). Seems to work well, though it's a bit of a hassle and I have to be carefull. Is using a screwdriver worse for connection, or are there other reasons not to use them (apart from it being a pain in the ... probably, compared to using a proper tool).

1 month later
#4798 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Sneak Peek of some new things coming for v2.24. Got a new graphics guy with some serious talent working with me to help realise some new ideas
London is back!
[quoted image]
New full screen font graphics in keeping with mode start graphics
[quoted image]
*Please note anything shared here is just work in progress and not final.

Great! You keep surprising us owners!

5 months later
#5121 2 years ago

I think the 6 ball mod is definitely worth buying. I waited myself, but after buying and installing I wondered why I hadn't done that before .

PS: I don't get to getmore than 4 balls on every game, but it's nice when it happens.

1 month later
#5221 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

When updating has anyone had the update start, then stop. Trying to figure it out with applejuice buy thought I'd see if it is a set up issue or something I'm doing wrong.
All original hardware (and 1.1 software).
In the box the leads were not connected to the proper pins so I rectified that.
Any ideas?

I did, the very first time. I did the following:
- reseated the connectors
- turned screen saver and power management off (standby and such)
- lowered the baudrate for the updating process

After that I haven't had a problem since with multiple updates, but I'm not sure if one of the above helped or that it was just coincidence.

3 months later
#5457 1 year ago
Quoted from Leaftail:

Has anyone found a good replacement for the blackstrip on the front of the ball catch? I'm thinking about gaff tape, as it is flat black and won't cause a glare. Glare is the one downside of adding a video amplifier.

I used some black tape and it works fine. It softens the blow and it looks well.

3 months later
#5594 1 year ago

The cabinet? (Does it fit in that box?)

2 weeks later
#5651 1 year ago
Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

I've done the 6 ball trough. It's not too bad

Agreed: it's not that much work, just taking the trough out, doing some (easy) soldering and connecting and of course reading the instructions. Well...you should do that last thing first actually
It worked the first time I rested it.

11 months later
#6197 6 months ago

I think in settings you can switch the error message off, so maybe the settings are different?. That wouldn't explain the other LEDs lighting in lamp year though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
7,500 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=sven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.