IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (6 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (6 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sleepdroid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3152 4 years ago

New to the club! Finally! I've been wanting one of these for years and finally got to make it happen. It's a nice mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. I think I'll start a full restore this winter. The seller (very nice guy) got two of them and combined the nicer playfield with the nicer cab. It's a German re-import and the playfield definitely has some mileage on it. The seller got it working, updated the system to v2.1, and I'm loving it!

Ever want to know what a 17" LCD that is actually closer to 16" would look like on the game? Wonder no more. It's terrible! haha

I see a lot of new parts in my future.

DSC03935---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03935---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03936---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03936---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03938---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03938---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03940---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03940---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03941---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03941---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03944---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03944---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03946---Smaller (resized).jpgDSC03946---Smaller (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3246 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

What are people using for a replacement for the crt? Which led/lcd monitor?

I just put this LED/LCD in mine. It came with a horrible 17" LCD that was way too small and fairly terrible in every way. I'm using this 24" LCD and it is working great. I absolutely love the image. I used the monitor settings and the CGA to VGA converter board to resize the image down a bit, otherwise it would be too wide. I like the 24" monitor because it gives me more height. I still have some tweaking with the positioning, but overall I love this monitor. I looked at a few, and this HP monitor had the best black levels at a very good price. I also like the adjustments that it had for resizing the image. It also has 'save state' built in, so it turns on automatically when power is restored. Not all of the do this. Still not as good as a CRT black level, but I love it.

HP - 24f 23.8" IPS LED FHD FreeSync Monitor - Natural Silver
Model:24F

I got it from Best Buy for $179. It's on sale now. Once I get the positioning just right, I'll make a nice black poster board surround to block out the sides of the screen that are not used when the image is shrunk down horizontally.

I looked at the 19" LED 4:3 drop in replacement type of monitors, but they were just too small. From what I've found, a 19" LCD arcade monitor is smaller that a 19" CRT as far as image size. I'm not convinced that the images would line up properly with the targets. I didn't want them to be close, I wanted them to be exactly over the right targets. Maybe I'm OCD about it, but if I can make them line up perfectly, why not do it? The 24" monitor is giving me lots of room to move around and tweak the image to get it just right.

2 weeks later
#3268 4 years ago
Quoted from jgecmd:

Just changed out the cpu fan on my RFM. When I power up should the fan come on immediately? I powered on for a couple of minutes but turned it off when the fan didn’t start.

Pretty sure it should come on immediately. Mine does.

#3284 4 years ago
Quoted from longtemps1:

Thanks. I mentioned the alignment of the screen surface with the edge of the plywood because someone had stressed this should be the case. However, as soon as one uses a non-original monitor, screen size differences may not make this ideal. Your success leads me to think I can experiment with the monitor’s location.
The truly important ideal is that when all is said and done the reflected image lines up properly with the playfield targets, etc. My problem is not having a reference for how they should align. If anyone can lead me to a good photo illustrating this, that would be great. Otherwise, I may have to go watch Tilt! again to catch the right video frame.

I put mine inside, just sitting on top of the original monitor cutout. I'll make a nicer posterboard/foam core board type of surround one of these days. I still want to mess with the alignment more before I make the surround. I used the CGA/VGA board controls to move the image around and resize it so the reflection lines up the way I want on the playfield. You just have to tinker with it until the image lines up right. You can also move the monitor up and down in the cabinet since the cutout for the original monitor is still a little taller than a 24 inch LCD screen.

3 months later
#3495 4 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a CRT to put into my RFM. It came with a crap little LCD, which I replaced with a much nicer one. I kind of want to try a CRT in there just for fun. Can most any monitor fit? Does it need a special shaped frame to fit in there or will something like a Wells Gardner K7000 or K4900 fit?

Also, is there anyone in the Portland, OR area that has a CRT I might be able to get from them. I'm OK with monitors that have burn-in. It seems to be my lot in life that I have to keep doing tube swaps, even though they are hard as hell to find around here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sleepdroid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=sleepdroid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.