VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (4 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (4 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rygar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2655 4 years ago

I am getting a RFM next week. I have a question about the martian eyes on this one (the martian on playfield above flippers). They are typically red on RFM, but on this machine they are just white. Any ideas? I know that the picture quality is not the greatest, but I do not want to pester the seller for more pics.

RFM1.JPGRFM1.JPG
3 weeks later
2 weeks later
#2841 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

just for the records-could not find a post with that error message:
was having issues when updating my RFM. Error message on the P2000 updater was: "cannot connect on com1"
Finally, after checking connectors and settings on my PC the culprit was inside the original PC: the serial DSUB9 port on the side was internally connected on the wrong port -make sure it is connected to COM1 on the motherboard !
Update went well using win XP pro and the existing serial port.
I luckily found this solution by watching a random P2k update video and the guy was having the same issue...pure luck...I would have wasted lot´s of time...
Finally with V2.1 installed everything is prepared for the shaker to be built and implemented

I have the same problem. Does the COM connection look valid on my photo? Is it possible to just update the computer without attaching the playfield (I just have access to computer and not the whole machine at the moment)?

IMG_5974.JPGIMG_5974.JPG
#2843 4 years ago

Thank you for the verification. The upper (connected port) is COM1 and the lower one is COM2. I ll try updating again with the playfield present.

#2849 4 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

What operating system are you using to update?

Windows 98SE on an old Toshiba Satellite pro 4200.

#2852 4 years ago
Quoted from Giulio:

Problem is (I think) this would work for windows only, (typically for Groovy Mame setups, etc.), did you succed with Pinbox linux distribution too? Me too I would like to find a solution Pinbox+CRT. By the way I did setup a very nice solution with dark blacks and a scanlines generator (same image as CRT), paired with Dell 2007FP..

I have pinbox as a backup plan. I will try with ATI Radeon HD 5450 as suggested. Today I will try the command line fupdate solution on my other laptop and see if it helps. I would be very interested in the proper LCD solution (scanlines and dark blacks). It would help a lot with reducing weight of the machine.

Thanks!

#2853 4 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

Ok, just FYI you can update without having to use the update manager. I just did a tutorial on this the other day. If you run into issues it may help out and you can use newer OS.

Thank you, I ll try this method today with my Windows 7 laprop and report back.

#2854 4 years ago

This will be a nice change from previous version 0.1 .

RFM01.JPGRFM01.JPG
#2858 4 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

Ok, just FYI you can update without having to use the update manager. I just did a tutorial on this the other day. If you run into issues it may help out and you can use newer OS.

Thank you a lot! This option worked for me. I have used another laptop and null modem cable and it worked. I connected laptop to the original PC without playfield and the update started without problems. Judging by prism card (reboot after update and normally blinking again) everything should be fine. I ll report back when I put the PC back into machine .

#2859 4 years ago

Would Roadshow shaker also work?

#2866 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I'm getting a lot of light bleed around the sides of the CRT.
Does anyone have a solution they've used aside from paper strips?
I'm almost tempted to use a weatherstripping to fill the void, but I figured I would ask here first.

The answer directly from one of the Pinball 2000 makers:

http://www.pinball2000.de/pin2000_misc.htm#Neonlight

#2873 4 years ago

Does Pinbox work with CRT monitor if you use ATI Radeon HD 5450?

#2892 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

I have a few questions concerning my original p2k pc. Could not find clear answers so far
(mainboard is V2.0)
1. where to connect a keyboard to access the bios? It´s the 5 pin DIN (or "AT") connector, right?
2. what is the PS/2 connector next to the VGA output/parallel port used for? mouse? where and which orientation to be connected on the mainboard (found disconnected)
3. where to connect the 2 pin reset cable on the mainboard? (the one coming from the prism card ) which orientation of connector? (found disconnected)
someone can help with details and/or pictures?
thx a lot[quoted image][quoted image]

1. Yes
2. It is a Svideo output
3. See this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-prism-card-connector#post-5013239 orientation does not matter.

#2894 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

thx for your answers!
do you or somebody have a picture where the svideo connector goes on the mainboard? mine was disconnected and I´d like to complete things

Sorry for the wrong 2. answer. It is indeed a PS/2 connector. On my board it goes next to the RAM slot to pins labeled as MOUSE (circled on the photo).

IMG_5984.JPGIMG_5984.JPG
#2897 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

Is it green or yellow wire to the left ?
Thx a lot!

Yellow.

1 week later
#2935 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

thanks for you reply!
Does that mean every machine using the V2.1 sotware shows that error messages currently?

Looks like it. Mine does the same plus ball trough opto 5 and 6 error.

1 week later
#2955 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-rfm-dimensions-please

Quoted from fusion:

can anyone with a rfm tell me the approximate height of the machine with the head on minus the legs? hoping to pick one up without taking the head off.
thanks

#2966 4 years ago

Would Williams assembly also work? I have several of those.

1 week later
#3026 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

MRS Update: I decided to go back to the drawing board to squeeze as much sensitivity as I could from the form-factor before calling this project a success. And to that end, I succeeded....and have 8 completed switches....I've got reznnate for 3 switches and I'd like to get another 4 switches into folks' hands so they can kick the tires on these before I complete more switches......so shoot me a PM - I've got 4 I can ship - but I don't want them squirreled away, but I want them used in a game or what have you....
Here's a pic of #3 (of 8 )
Matt
[quoted image]

PM sent.

2 months later
#3245 4 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

What are people using for a replacement for the crt? Which led/lcd monitor?

Here is the suggestion from user Giulio.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/61#post-5089861

He also added scanline generator to this solution. PM him for more details.

2 months later
#3446 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

What is the most recent code for the game? I’m picking up one that has 2.1 on it but I thought there was a 2.2 out but I’m not finding it anywhere. If there is a 2.2 out, what’s the differences from 2.1?

Here is the update log:
https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp

4 weeks later
#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I have an Optiplex 760 SFF on the bench now can confirm it and various other flavors run well. With the right video card, you can even support existing CRTs.

Any info on CRT compatible video cards?

2 months later
#3600 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

That's smart. I remember reading that somewhere, now that you mention it.

It is shown in RFM promo video at 6:15.

2 weeks later
#3700 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

One suggestion so far is to have the full list of audits then a way to enable and disable them in this window (not on the game) to customise your own view of what you want to see.

That would be a great feature. Maybe an option to export the audits in CSV.

1 week later
#3719 3 years ago

Currently I have original computer installed, but I also have a spare Pinbox computer ready. This would really help for easier updating of Pinbox.

#3727 3 years ago

I have discovered something that might be a bug (I am using version 2.21).
When you have martian multiball ready and you shoot stroke of luck and get payback time award it times out (ball stays in the scoop) and after payback time timeout the martian multiball starts.

#3731 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

I have never seen payback time in RFM

Which version of software are you using? Payback time is available since version 2.10 according to the changelog.

#3734 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Thanks for the message. Hmmmm, i will have to take look at that Possibly i need to update the sol award logic not to include/award payback time if martian multiball is ready.
I also need to improve a few things on the payback time graphics to. Already in the list and works. Payback time is a T2 homage if people haven't seen it yet or played it.

Thank you for your great work on the updates. I have achieved payback time a few times but failed to shoot at the left ramp in time to actually start it (I assume that is the way to start that mode).

#3736 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Yep it’s left ramp then right ramp then left etc. Award increases each time you make it and resets the timer

Thank you, I ll try harder next time to actually start the mode.

1 week later
#3777 3 years ago

Are there some .wav files in root/pinbox/music ?
In this video where one guy tested Pinbox/Nucore in VirtualBox, at 3:41, where he enters "pinbox" folder, there was 11 folders, and one of them was "music" folder:
If there are some .wav files in that folder, can somebody please send them to my email? My email is [email protected]
I would be very grateful to listen to RFM music without other sound effects
I don't have pinbox, nor RFM, and downloading VirtualBox would reset my network, so I can't try myself
If somebody can check root/pinbox/music (not by using VirtualBox) , and send me .wav files from music folder on my email (if they exist in that folder) , thanks in advance!
Peter

Music folder is empty:

Pinbox (resized).JPGPinbox (resized).JPG
#3778 3 years ago

Looks like the Music folder is used for jukebox files.

Pinbox1 (resized).JPGPinbox1 (resized).JPG
#3781 3 years ago

When I try to enter http://localhost:6699/jukebox.php , I get a error.
Do I need some tool to acess that site?

It is the local site on the machine which has Pinbox installed on.

1 month later
#3957 3 years ago
Quoted from mnyeti420:

I've got a couple of lights that I can't get to work on the LH side of the space ship on the playfield. All the rest of the lights on that board work fine. Anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong? I've attached a photo so you can see what I'm talking about.
[quoted image]

Try to wiggle the connector on the light board a bit to see if the lights come on. If they do check connector on the light board for cracked solder joints. You will need to remove the board to check that out.

1 month later
#4039 3 years ago

Can you please post a photo of your serial number? Mine is 50270100392 from 03/13/1999 and it was also running a 0.1 version. It is an early production one without slingshot spotlights. I wonder if yours has earlier or later serial.

Quoted from PoMC:

A friend picked
of a RFM yesterday and dropped it off at my house this. I have a SWE1 so I offered to have him drop it off for me to check out - was sitting in storage and couldn't power it on. Needs to have the PC motherboard caps replaced, the green ones are all swelled or leaking except one. Likely need a new CPU as well since the CPU fan doesn't work, so the chip is likely toast.
I swapped in my SWE1 PC and installed the RFM prism card and booted up just fine. Gave us a chance to do switch testing - needs a few microswitches replaced and 3 sets of optos.
But check out this .1 software version. January 26, 1999. Anyone know if this is the very first version? I haven't been able to find a reference earlier than .9 when searching. But anyway, now to research software updating process.
[quoted image]

#4041 3 years ago

The only logical explanation is that someone swapped the prism card. That can be checked by verifying the serial number on prism card.

5 months later
1 month later
#4475 3 years ago

Here is a nice starting point for Nucore installation: http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=5353#p5353
You will also need the ROM files which do not come with Nucore installation.

2 months later
#4655 2 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

Ok - NOS motherboard from Borygard and new AT power supply. The MB is a different model than my old one so I'm unsure on the Prism card connection. Anyone have pics or a manual to help me determine where the pair of wires coming from the Prism card connect to the MB? New MB is ST-MGXM. Thanks.
[quoted image]

They are connected to the Reset (RST) pins on the motherboard. More here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/revenge-from-mars-prism-card-connector

2 months later
#4807 2 years ago

Original. extra ball animation:

1 month later
#4968 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

I have built a nucore machine with a modern i5 and a pcie lpt Port. Works like a charm. The guide that is available in the nucore forum works perfectly

Can you please post a direct link to the post?
Thank you.

2 months later
#5027 2 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Flipper question, after a few games my left flipper started going nuts at random. Remind me, what causes that? Switch issue?

You can see power drain feature in the video below at 11:30 (scren warning) and at approx 11:35.

11 months later
#5733 1 year ago
Quoted from GILV:

OK, anyone else have an answer to my question?
I won't change my battery until I'm sure that what I'm doing is OK.....
Thanks.

You can change it with power on (not recommended at all), but be careful not to short something out during the process. Other option is to take photos of all of the bios settings and do it with the power off. After the battery change you can compare the settings with your photos and correct them where needed.
I did my PC board battery swap with the power off and only changed the clock afterwards - everything was working ok.

#5734 1 year ago
Quoted from rygar:

You can change it with power on (not recommended at all), but be careful not to short something out during the process. Other option is to take photos of all of the bios settings and do it with the power off. After the battery change you can compare the settings with your photos and correct them where needed.
I did my PC board battery swap with the power off and only changed the clock afterwards - everything was working ok.

#5736 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

RFM owners may want to check my website https://mypinballs.com from Midnight 25th December GMT. A gift may be waiting for you
[quoted image]
Update notes for v2.50
Double Scoring - NEW FEATURE! Awarded from the stoke of luck
Capture Multiball - Now can use smart bombs to add 3 additional balls into play if trough is upgraded
Alien Abduction - Improved the family setting logic for various speech calls. The more dubious calls outs are removed now with the setting on. Before some callouts were still in place regardless.
Bottom Lanes - Improved the family setting logic for various speech calls on drain. The more dubious calls outs are removed now with the setting on. Before some callouts were still in place regardless.
Hurry Up- Improved the family setting logic for various speech calls. The more dubious calls outs are removed now with the setting on. Before some callouts were still in place regardless.
Shaker - Added new adjustment for power percentage to allow fine tuning of intensity for effects
Saving your smart bombs and using them to add extra ball in to play for the main multiball is an interesting idea and i hope you enjoy it, aswell as boring towards achieving double scoring! Also, this marks the 8th consecutive free update for RFM in the last 4 years. If you would like to donate to the software cause, please do so here:
https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp
Merry Xmas
Jim

Thank you for the pleasant surprise.

1 week later
#5769 1 year ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Where does one source a pinbox?

Not sure about Pinbox, but here is the free latest version of Nucore available for download plus install instructions: http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1179&fbclid=IwAR1adqveBigAUZbDd_y-toaUAV-qsglXnxYrzk_VdsUGPvqSaYXgM6A-uAs

You will also need the ROM sets.

4 months later
#6056 10 months ago

Did you cut the trace on the video amp? For using video amp on Ducksan monitors you need to cut one trace on the amp board - more details in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-video-amp-install-advise-ducksan

Quoted from Eddie:

Just installed the ultimarc video amp in a Ducksan Monitor and am having issues.
First let me point out that I have installed many Video amps in Wells Gardner Monitors without issue.
The amp appears to be working as the images are all bright as the amp is intended to do.
However I now have jumping images, the convergence is off, the screen is not really in focus and I can now see that the entire image is tilted.
Are these cap issues or neck adjustment issues? Is there something in the Amp connection that could cause this?
In game play the images are bright but a little out of focus not much and the screen is horizontally stretched sometimes at top sometimes in the middle.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

5 months later
#6283 4 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are the blacks as black as the CRT? This sounds like a good option.

You can see some photos of Dell 20" 4:3 monitor with scanline generator posted by pinsider Giulio: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-wait-led-monitor-change-on-pinball-2000

He also sent me more detailed info about the setup:

Best thing, if you decide to go to LCD route (Nucore/Pinbox), is to search for a 4:3 2007FP Dell ultrasharp monitor. They were top notch when they were sold at time and it's pretty easy find them at a good price. If you will search them do not worry about the bezel if black or silver, you will strip the bezel anyway (super easy, just with fingers).
This monitor is top 'cause it sits exactly in the wooden frame hole once you take out the crt, just 4 screws and washers to tight (a little) to the wooden frame. It's amazing how perfectly it sits in the wooden frame with no need for metal brackets or whatever, just a drop in solution.

Anyway, if you will go to lcd route, if you find a 2007 FP with IPS panel, that's the best if serial ends with S, 99% is IPS panel.
I'm not able to send pics from here, but on mine results were astonishing, with scanline generator and proper contrast/darkness/sharpness (se to mid-low) settings, is almost impossible to distinguish from CRT. Very dark image and I am extremely satisfied.
Link to very good scanline generator: https://arcadeforge.net/SLG3000/Scanline-Generator-SLG3000-v2::12.html

I have since acquired 3 of those LCDs (for really cheap) but I have not tried one in my RFM yet since my original CRT is working well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shelbyville, IN
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rygar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=rygar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.