IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (6 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (6 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (6 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrmikeman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3822 3 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

Sorry to ask , I just picked up a RFM. Is there a type of cleaner I should or should not use on the playfield glass?

Glad you asked. Picked one up today! Never had a p2k. Glass is super smudged and I also want to clean it.

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Glad you asked. Picked one up today! Never had a p2k. Glass is super smudged and I also want to clean it.

Well shit. Owned it 5 days. Attacked Mars twice already and beat it tonight. Played maybe 25-30 games total. Wish it had twice the content... I had heard it was easy but didn’t think it would be THAT easy.

Anybody have v2.x installed(on NUCORE/Pinbox)? Is it better?

#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

What version are you running?? My versions (from v2 onwards) make things much harder. Saucer lights are not given for nothing like before for example! Anyway, i suggest you read the update notes to find out.

I’m on 1.5. I may have all my computer parts by the weekend. Right now the ArcadeVGA is scheduled to arrive Monday but I think it’ll be faster.

Yes I plan to keep using the original monitor. It’s crisp and bright with zero burn and there’s just no reason to replace it, especially after installing the video amp (still had it from my MAME days).

#3838 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Why change the hardware?
Seriously... if it' an't broke... don't fix it.

Cause it's more expensive(and time consuming) to find/buy a PUB and getting shipped to me, ship to and pay someone to program it then ship it back to me.

#3842 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

There is no need to buy a PUB card. For code that is now getting frequent updates, it makes no sense to own one. Update over serial takes just a few minutes, and you don't even have to crack open the computer case (like you would with the PUB card).

Tried in compatibility mode with a usb-serial converter (COM1) and cant even make the software start. Can’t see the com port. I am back to my initial plan.

#3849 3 years ago

I am happy to report that I am now on v2.21.

My usb-to-serial adapter doesn’t work in Win 10. Luckily the computer MB i bought to build a NUCORE had a built in COM PORT. I just installed windows 10, hooked it up to the machine and did the fupdate method. Took a few tries but got it going.

Game is much more fun now.

I may build the NUCORE just to have a backup but i don’t plan on using it.

1 week later
#3869 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Update lead sets are now avialable. The recommended ones for the upcoming software updater release. £28 plus shipping. Includes leads for original and pinbox updating

Where? There's nothing on your website...

#3874 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Drunk mode should not be in effect for multiball.
Either end it or "stop it" until multiball is complete and resume.

Agreed.

#3885 3 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

I did note that the "Extra Ball" insert not gets lit in some of the light animations when the game is not in play mode (in 2.1 and 2.2 too).
Is this a general problem or only with mine?
Also another user did mention that the lights (animation) are faster in the demo (non) play mode.
Would also great to fix this in the next release if it is a general problem.

Extra ball lights with the sweeps but not in the scintillation attract mode. It's not just you.

Not sure if was lit in the original software attract mode.

Agree that it's a bit fast, especially for folks still running incandescent lights (like me). They barely start to come on before they go off. It gives a very dim attract mode.

I suppose the setting for bulb check instead of being "ON/OFF" could be renamed to "LED bulbs - YES/NO". If yes then disable the check and have a fast attract mode. If no, leave the bulb check ON have a slow attract mode. something like that.. I'm not sure how complex that would be to code.

#3886 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

drunk flippers is just a setting. You can turn it on and off. It’s just an extra option for people
Secret weapon requires you make all the different move shots to get a saucer light
I suggest looking through the feature and standard adjustments carefully

I think what the OP is suggesting is having a way to indicate which shots have been made (or not made) on Secret Weapon. Right now you have to keep track mentally of which shots you still have to complete in order to get the saucer light.

#3891 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Yes you do, though I will think about this

Yeah on most modern games you will have some indication of what shot remains to be hit, especially when there is a goal or a reward for hitting them all.

Having coins disappear once hit would certainly help, even though the outside loops don’t have coins.

#3892 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Dim attract mode??? Not on my game or anyone else as far as I know. And I use normal bulbs not leds . Is your game restored or as is?

The game is in the queue to get shopped. It is dirty. However it seems a bit dimmer now with the updated code because of how fast the bulbs turn on and off. It seems a LITTLE fast.

Personally I don’t care about the attract mode anyway lol.

#3894 3 years ago
Quoted from bbriese:

Maybe incorporate a way to disable drunk flippers at the beginning of the mode. I leave them turned on and love love it but it kicks me ass every time, and if I get going on a serious run I'd like to be able to carry on with normal flippers. Almost without fail my reflexes eventually kick in and I press the wrong button.

I say turn it off or suck it up buttercup!! It’s your choice to enable it.

If I’m in the mood to go far I start with happy hour. Just to get it out of the way. I usually fail miserably lol. My brain can’t do it. My gf can for some reason. Damn those people with artistic brains.

2 weeks later
#3936 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The first prototype custom pcbs for adding 6 ball trough control are ready to be made. This board will plug on to the existing opto driver board.
[quoted image]

Can't wait to be able to buy it!

1 month later
#4052 3 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

So I was going to be a beta tester for the new 6 ball expansion board but some things came up and I had to sell my rfm. So if anyone is interested I’m selling the board for 100$ shipped anywhere in the US. Pm me if interested.
[quoted image]

I am a tester/early adopter and also got my kit this week. I installed it today and it was fairly simple but I have Lots of soldering experience and the correct tool for idc connectors.

If you lack the experience or tools to do this correctly then this beta version probably isn’t for you...

#4054 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hmm...This tool?[quoted image]

Yep!

And a decent soldering iron / desoldering tool or iron.. the flipper boards have solder where the led’s go.. so remove solder then install led’s.

#4056 3 years ago

Stop copying me!

D07E1899-C7B3-4193-9B58-72D95F314382 (resized).jpegD07E1899-C7B3-4193-9B58-72D95F314382 (resized).jpeg
#4059 3 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

i like this IDC tool
[quoted image]

Nice!

#4063 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hmm...This tool?[quoted image]

NO!

Actually it needs to be the .100 version. I used that one(.156) and caused probs.. bad contact. Will have to redo both ends.

1 week later
#4078 3 years ago

For folks wondering about the 6-ball trough. I installed mine. Took maybe 30-45 mins including the soldering time - it's only 4 LEDs. You should have a decent soldering iron(w/ temp control) so as to not damage the opto boards when soldering the optos. Make sure you install them in the correct orientation. There is a flat side on the LEDs that has to align with the flat side of the mask on the board (the white printed text/symbols on the board).

The connectors are IDC type connectors so having the correct insertion tool (.100) will definitely help. I used the larger one (.156) and ended up with intermittent connection issues. Re-did them using the back of an exactor blade and although not perfect it's good enough and works ok. However if I wiggle the wires I get intermittent connection. I haven't had issues in game play though. I will eventually re-do the connectors most likely with regular (non-idc) connectors and pins.

I have to say that add-a-ball feature going to 6-balls during the various multiballs is a lot of fun!!

I have yet to try midnight madness but I did get to Mothership multiball and Attack Mars multiball. Once again, 6-ball multiball is FUN!!!

Folks (like me) that requested the drunk flipper mode to revert to normal when starting multiballs during Martian Happy Hour will get their wish in v2.22. I totally understand applejuice now when he said it would be confusing. It is.. There is no pause between the switching of the modes when reverting from multiball back to Martian Happy Hour. As you are playing and the second last ball drains, the flippers revert back to drunk (reversed) while you are playing that last ball. Freaky. But I still prefer that than trying to do Martian Multiball or regular multiball with reversed flippers lol.

The power drain feature is friggin awesome. I had some pinheads over last night and their opinion of RFM just sky-rocketed. They knew it as a shallow and easy game. They were blown away with the new features that applejuice has brought to the game. One of them wants to buy my game now lol. errrrr. no.

Thanks to applejuice for keeping the RFM community alive!!

#4081 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Great to hear you and your friends enjoyed the new power drain feature and they liked the changes from v2 onwards. It’s nice to know people appreciate the effort and that rfm is now more desirable

Don’t you mean de$irable??
Lol

2 months later
#4209 3 years ago

Wondering if anyone can help me with this..

My RFM runs fine on the original PC.

However, I am setting up a Nucore/Pinbox computer (with ArcadeVGA) to run my RFM with the original CRT. Game runs fine but I am having resolution issues. The visuals are running at 640x480 but the CRT (and game) is meant to be at 640x240. I get an over-stretched/folded over image. Runs fins on a LCD but I really don't want to swap as my CRT is crisp, super bright, and has zero burn-in.

I need to get this up and running properly since I have a SWEP1 pf on the way and paying 500$ USD for a used SWEP1 prism card is ridiculous...

I know other folks have had the same problem resolved but nobody seems to post the fix they have applied.

#4212 3 years ago

I have the "other" version of Nucore since I can't find a complete official Nucore installation (missing specific Nucore ROMS).

I just can't get it to change resolution. I can boot to the desktop on the installation CD and access the hard drive and edit the scripts. I've tried tweaking the autostart script with the xrandr command but nothing seems to work. It doesn't actually load the script it seems when it starts.

I shouldn't even have to run the 15khz scripts as the VGA port ArcadeVGA ONLY runs at 15khz anyway and has built-in support for 640x240. I just need to force the resolution into 640x240 but can't find how to do it.

xrandr doesn't even work when I quit out of Pinbox to the terminal. says 'cannot load screen' or something like that. Seems like X11 is not loaded at all with the Pinbox version of the Nucore system.

I've just ordered a SWEP1 daughter card. I'll do it the official way I guess. FML

#4213 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have the "other" version of Nucore since I can't find a complete official Nucore installation (missing specific Nucore ROMS).
I just can't get it to change resolution. I can boot to the desktop on the installation CD and access the hard drive and edit the scripts. I've tried tweaking the autostart script with the xrandr command but nothing seems to work. It doesn't actually load the script it seems when it starts.
I shouldn't even have to run the 15khz scripts as the VGA port ArcadeVGA ONLY runs at 15khz anyway and has built-in support for 640x240. I just need to force the resolution into 640x240 but can't find how to do it.
xrandr doesn't even work when I quit out of Pinbox to the terminal. says 'cannot load screen' or something like that. Seems like X11 is not loaded at all with the Pinbox version of the Nucore system.
I've just ordered a SWEP1 daughter card. I'll do it the official way I guess. FML

Finally got it running by being persistent. Nucore setup. Followed the instructions from the Nucore forum. Now if I can only get the software update feature to work... SWE1 is on v0.40 on nucore.

#4215 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Just put the files from within the exe update you want to run (which is a zip) into the root/nucore/update/swep_14/ folder. Delete whats in there to start with or if the update files are already in there just delete the update.bin files to force a reload of the update.
Also this should really be posted on the SWEP1 owner thread

Well the nucore setup runs both. I started with RFM. Which I can’t seem to update either. I had tried what you suggested with the update folder. Nucore just restarts a bunch of times but in the end the software is still the old version.

I also tried with your update program but I kept getting errors (ssh error-2). I was trying through my wired network (Nucore was connected to the router). I then noticed in your support notes you mention a crossover cable but I don't have one. Ordered on Amazon and will try again once it arrives.

#4217 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Post a picture of what’s in your update/swep1_14 folder.
Also delete your save data .nvram file for swep1 which is in
/root/nucore/roms/savedata/

Already did that(delete nvram). There were no folders in the update folder so I created them. I will take a pic later today of the folder structure and content and add it here.

Nucore also has the ability to update from a USB but I tried 4 different USB sticks formatted to FAT32 as directed and none of them came up as readable by Nucore. And yes I rebooted with the USB stick installed so Linux could mount it before nucore tried to access it. I have direct access to the USB sticks from the file manager so that's a nucore issue.

Not being to update RFM sucks since I have the 6-ball trough setup...

#4219 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Didn’t you already run the latest rfm updates as you emailed me about some suggestions?, or was that on your original hardware setup?
Most likely you just have something wrong in the folder structure and or a permission issue

I have your 2.23 running on my original hardware.

I had a typo in the update sub-folder. I had named it SWE1_14 instead of SWEP1_14. As well, I only tried updating RFM with your loader and not directly in nucore. I will try both those after work today.

#4220 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have your 2.23 running on my original hardware.
I had a typo in the update sub-folder. I had named it SWE1_14 instead of SWEP1_14. As well, I only tried updating RFM with your loader and not directly in nucore. I will try both those after work today.

FINALLY!!! SUCCESS!!

It WAS swe1_14 for the folder name. Got it up and running and I see that RFM also updated (generated the update.bin file).

Now just to hook up the amp and I'm set. I know somewhere on Pinside there's instructions to get the horizontal alignment better adjusted. I'm ever so slightly too much to the left and the remote adjustment pot is maxed out.

#4221 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

FINALLY!!! SUCCESS!!
It WAS swe1_14 for the folder name. Got it up and running and I see that RFM also updated (generated the update.bin file).
Now just to hook up the amp and I'm set. I know somewhere on Pinside there's instructions to get the horizontal alignment better adjusted. I'm ever so slightly too much to the left and the remote adjustment pot is maxed out.

All done. All working. I can now swap quickly between the 2 games.

In the end here is the list of things I needed/used: My old home theatre computer (with NVMe SSD) and associated power supply, ArcadeVGA card, bracket with external COM and PARALLEL ports that plug into the motherboard, 3 channel audio amp and power supply, 3.5mm to RCA cable, video amp (was already installed on my original hardware), and lot's of patience for the Linux/Nucore setup.

Things I bought that I didn't really need but wanted: NOS SWEP1 and RFM translites from PPS. My RFM translite was cracked and brittle.

Here are the things I bought out of sheer frustration and impatience and that I now have absolutely no use for: 2 x computers (mobo, ram, cpu, ps), 1 computer case, SWEP1 daughter card with ROMS(keeping so I can use with original hardware if I choose to revert), VGA-->CGA converter board.

One of the motherboards IS running Pinbox on a small SSD if anyone is interested. I just couldn't get it to play nice with the CRT but if you want to run a regular monitor it runs fine. Not sure how to update the RFM or SWEP1 software on there though as there is no graphical interface for linux and I suck at it. To get it running you would need a power supply and serial & parallel port connectors (like this https://amzn.to/2UYKtUh ) and a video card if you don't want to use the on-board video. I paid 90$ for this mobo/cpu/ram on eBay. You can have it for the same price + shipping and I'll include the SSD.

1 week later
#4230 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I am getting ready to start cleaning and while I am at it I am thinking of putting in some replacement bulbs. It seems like some of the bulbs fade in and out but it’s hard to tell. Do led’s work everywhere or in some spots like the front half of the playfield or not really at all?

I just re-converted a swep1 playfield back to incandescent. It was poorly LED’d.. seizure city. Looks nicer now. I assume it’s the same for rfm. I keep my rfm incandescent..

1 week later
#4242 3 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I'm thinking of letting go what I assume is an undocumented HUP RFM. According to the computer is has less than 1300 plays. I hope to get an ad up tomorrow as well as some pics. I just did a full top side tear down, LED's, Titans etc, etc, etc Not sure what to ask so let's say 4K OBO.

This applies to any used game not just this one.

Maybe it's just me but... If you're going to claim that a 21 yr old game is HUO you need to prove it. Otherwise it means nothing. You can call it pristine, mint, etc. It doesn't have to be HUO to be super nice.

Number of games can be reset by anyone at any time anyway so it doesn't mean much.

How did you fix the LED flickering?

#4244 3 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Well the previous owners bought it over 15 years ago from a showroom. They couldn't remember the year, but yeah I hear you.

I re-read what I posted. I sound like a db lol. What I meant was HUO gets thrown around so much but really means nothing. The condition of the game will speak for itself.

I am however curious about led flickering. Did you solve it? I ended up converting both P2K games BACK to incandescent I just couldn’t deal with the seizure inducing flicker.

#4249 3 years ago

Just bought a big box(100) of 555's and a few small boxes(10) of 44's from my local parts vendor. They had them in stock. Hadn't bought enough 44's but I had a bunch of used ones on hand from my STTNG LED conversion.

1 week later
#4255 3 years ago

Here's one for applejuice

I was running RFM on the original hardware (v2.22). Switched to Nucore when I bought a SWEP1 pf.

After playing with SWEP1 for a while I decided to switch back to RFM on my Nucore (not Pinbox) setup. Upgraded to v1.5 using the update folder and deleteing the nvram files. No issues. Worked like a charm.

Did the same procedure for v2.22. Nucore is now stuck in a restart loop.

I have restarted/tried this many times. Same result. No I am not forgetting to delete nvram or update files. Nucore can't seem to run the 2.22 for whatever reason.

Also. I have tried updating with your software just for shits & giggles. It will simply NOT connect. I keep getting SSH error -2.

Once again I tried troubleshooting. I even tried with regular network cable, crossover cable, fixed IP on both the laptop and nucore box, the passwords/usernames are correct. IP and subnet masks are good. Tried while the game is running, tried with the emulator off. Nothing works.

#4257 3 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

I *think* I ended up putting the NVRAM files back on mine to make the update work.

BINGO!

Thanks for that I wouldn't have thought to try it.

Thank god too. Couldn't make use of my 6-ball mod. Also it's too easy on the regular code. Played ONE game of v1.5 and Attacked Mars and won. Now not so much lol.

All cleaned and waxed I just finished shopping the pf while it was out for SWEP1. Game is so fast and sparkly/bright. Check out the crud I had under the inserts.

insert1 (resized).jpeginsert1 (resized).jpeginsert2 (resized).jpeginsert2 (resized).jpeginsert3 (resized).jpeginsert3 (resized).jpeg
#4267 3 years ago
Quoted from Appogee:

Here's a curious one for applejuice ...
My flippers are permanently reversed! That is, I push the left button and the right flipper activates. I push the right button, and the left flipper activates!
I have been playing RFM for the past couple of weeks without any problems. But today when I turned it on, the flippers are reversed. Turning it on and off a couple of times didn't change that. Nor did reactivating 'drunk flipper mode in Martian Happy Hour' in the Adjustments.
Here's some history in case it helps.
When the tech who fixed my RFM, including kindly installing your wonderful software on it, delivered it back to me, drunk flipper mode was activated in the settings. I played a few games with it that way, but it did my head in, so I went into Adjustments and turned that mode off.
(Did I perhaps turn the machine off mid "drunk flipper" mode, causing some variable set somewhere to be permanently stored the wrong way...?
In any case, I'd appreciate any advice you could give on how I could get my flippers back so I can enjoy your software some more
Cheers and thanks again.

Sounds like you turned on party mode - drunk flippers in the settings. There are 2 places in the settings for drunk flippers. One for the mode itself, and the other is party mode which reverses flippers all the time.

#4270 3 years ago
Quoted from PilotPinball:

Went to play today and nothing happens when you shoot to end the scene. Is this an optical sensor that lets the machine know the ball has been launched up there? Thanks.
[quoted image]

The whole lexan shield moves back and triggers a switch that’s right behind the spot I circled. Go into switch test and move the plastic “wall” back to see if it triggers.

3BAE5D8D-1716-4B04-A207-28328366A5FE (resized).jpeg3BAE5D8D-1716-4B04-A207-28328366A5FE (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#4302 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

Fully Shopped out my RFM today, finally installed Applejuices Saucer led mod, Titan, etc etc etc.
No its not really that red, You cant take a pic of this thing without it looking like that.
Tomorrow I will swap out the CRT for the LCD I've had sitting around for awhile.
Then sadly I think its going up for Sale. I enjoy playing it.. but it seems no one else does. Bummer.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Shopped mine out a few weeks ago. So bright and fast now. I've beaten it 3 times since the shop out. Only beat it once before since I had bought it in May. Kinda takes the fun out actually. I know I can change some settings to make it more difficult but then my gf will have a harder time enjoying it.

My strategy when I want to kick it's ass is start with Martian Happy Hour. Get that damn reversed flipper mode out of the way from the start.

#4306 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

You do realise drunk flippers is a settings option and not a permanent change yes??

LOL yes... My gf hates drunk flippers and I’ve offered to turn them off but she is stubborn and wants to master it.

#4307 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Wow that’s impressive. I think this is a really hard game. I’ve had mine on easy mode for 3 months now and not one of the 3 players in the house have gone past 150 million

Let me state that on all my games I set 4 levels of replay(auto-adjusting), replays and specials award extra balls, no limit (or max available) on extra balls.

However I can’t seem to beat the 300m minimum score for Attack Mars.

#4311 3 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

I got the same results with adding a video amplifier to my crt monitor. Makes a *huge* difference in the feel of the game when everything is bright and crisp.

Same.. And we don't have a grey monitor outline reflection to stare at all the time

#4314 3 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

Selling my Nucore setup, decided to go back to original. $400 if anyone is looking for one

May I ask what made you decide to do that? I just converted mine to Nucore and I find the videos and animations play so much smoother and faster now and without compression artifacts. I just find it looks way better. Wondering if I missed something....

I do have an issue about once every 10 times I turn on the machine the video won’t come up. Off & on and then it’s good. Pretty sure it’s an ArcadeVGA issue in my case.

#4324 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Would also be cool to "turn off" drunken flippers by shooting into the scoop or achieving something else during the bar scene

Wow that would be so confusing. Already confusing enough to have them reversed but then have them switch while playing would be bad I think. You could just turn them off in the settings and be done with it.

It's already massively confusing if you start Martian multiball during Martian Happy Hour. The flippers revert back to normal during the multiball, then go back to reversed without warning once you are down to 1 ball.

#4334 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I having installed a later version yet...
Does happy hour start during that mode... or do you have to hit a specific number of shots/drinks?

Martian Happy Hour is the name of the mode. The flippers are reversed the whole time during that mode if enabled in the settings.

#4336 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Does anyone have the VGA breakout cable from a Cyrix 586 GXM-AV motherboard? (see pic)
I bought a replacement motherboard from someone, but it didn't come with the cable, and my original motherboard had a different kind. I looked for the pinout in the manual, but it's not there.
Perhaps someone has a busted motherboard and would sell me the cable? Worst case, perhaps someone has a nice high-res photo of the back of their cable pcb I can use to figure out the pinout and make my own?
[quoted image]

Not sure it’s the right version bit here goes.

0DFDEFAF-2936-419C-B060-C35CDCA73EE2 (resized).jpeg0DFDEFAF-2936-419C-B060-C35CDCA73EE2 (resized).jpeg33728B35-6746-4264-AD00-ED4D1308D9B1 (resized).jpeg33728B35-6746-4264-AD00-ED4D1308D9B1 (resized).jpeg
#4342 3 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Hi Everyone, I was hoping y'all could help me with a possible mechanical problem that just popped up and a cab I sold. I just delivered my RFM to its new home yesterday. While there and during game play the post that holds the ball in between scenes under the left ramp would not disengage without the flippers being hit.
I don't recall this in my time owning this cab or others. Then again, I tend to hit my flippers a lot more than the new owner so it may be because of my style of play versus his. Does anyone have any ideas? Seems like it could be the optos, but the fact it comes down when flipper button is depressed seems almost like it is by design.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The post/plunger is magnetized. Owner can either:
- Live with it and hit the flippers to release the ball
- Replace plunger with a new one
- Remove the plunger and use a demagnetizer. I just did last week and it works.

#4344 3 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Thank you. That's very interesting. I just figured it was a normal coil plunger. I guess I need to go and look at the manual for a part number.
Do you think this could have happened during the move? Is there anything I should check for on that coil before buying a new setup?

It’s a common issue. The jump ramp “sticking” up also happens for the same reason. I demagnetized both and now both work correctly.

It’s a minor annoyance. I wouldn’t replace it. Played mine using flippers to release for months.

#4347 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

mrmikeman what demagnetizer did you use? I have a similar problem with the pop bumpers on a different pin.

https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3401-0602-Heavy-Demagnetizer-115V-Single/dp/B00N40U4GS/ref=sr_1_1

Not cheap but it certainly did work super well for me. Not sure if would work well for magnetized balls. I may try it for shits and giggles eventually. I just wanted to demagnetize plungers (2 on RFM and 1 on STTNG). Being in Canada it wasn't really a whole lot cheaper to buy new plungers cause we get killed on shipping rates from the US and customs fees at the border. The demagnetizer was free shipping with Amazon with no surprises. And I get to use it again on whatever else needs de be demagnetized

#4349 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Thanks. Definitely pricier than I expected but maybe it’s worth it. This is an expensive hobby!

Yeah I’m at the point where I just buy the right tool for the job. Also bought an air stapler (22 gauge) for pinball restoration. Good for ground braid and other places they used staples.

Yes the hobby is expensive!!

#4356 3 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Install applejuice shaker and knocker today. They work great. Spent the rest of my afternoon pulling out my hair with the 6 ball mod. The led for ball six is not working. When I test with the camera it isn't purple. Yet all continuity test pass. I could use some help if anyone has any.

2 likely reasons:
1- you installed them in reverse polarity. The notch in the lens had to match the notch on the ink mask on the boards
2- you installed them in reverse type(receiver/sender)

#4368 3 years ago

Dude. Nobody is telling you that you can't design your own mods and share them for free with the world. Go ahead knock yourself out.

Having the gall to ask a mod designer/company to help/explain how to copy his mod is certainly odd.

There are hundreds of shops selling mods on here. Most are 3D printed and/or arduino controlled. None of those shops share the 3D files or the arduino code. If you asked them to they'd tell you to get lost a lot more aggressively than what you've seen here.

Folks want to get compensated for the time and effort put into designing their addons. It's just common sense.

#4379 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

So I finally got my light panel working and at my height (5-10) i get a bar of reflection across the playfield. I was thinking of adding something to the sound bar that sticks out 4 inches or so. What did you guys do?
[quoted image]

I use a regular “bent plastic” from pinball life. I put the bend downward into the BG groove with the BG already locked in place. It’s a tight fit but works great.

P.S. I apologize for the SWEP1 pf sitting in my RFM lol. I know it's blasphemous.. The GF was in a SW mood this week.

60B0F890-C6F4-455B-83F3-E519356FC2BE (resized).jpeg60B0F890-C6F4-455B-83F3-E519356FC2BE (resized).jpeg78B5D094-EDFD-485D-BF88-02883234F643 (resized).jpeg78B5D094-EDFD-485D-BF88-02883234F643 (resized).jpeg

#4385 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Happy to have joined the club today!
It does have wear around the saucer hole, some spots/scratches on the cabinet and it is missing its saucers.
Plays great and playfield is pretty, altough it needs some cleaning
Got some reading to do in this club now, 88 pages hahaha
[quoted image]

Welcome!

The best thing you can do is get the 2.22 custom code from mypinballs.com.

It brings the game to a whole other level.

#4394 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Haha - that’s what I was wondering too, half of the modes or more didn’t even work!

Quoted from RobDutch:

Wow did you have a proto/early game?

If the on-board battery dies(or is replaced) on the PRISM daughter board that's the version you end up with.

As far as updating you can download the current roms from PPS. To update through the COM port as designed you will need to get the software from mypinballs.com which works on current computers. Otherwise the Wms software needs to run on an old Win95 laptop from 20 years ago....

However if you are going to update might as well get the awesome roms from mypinballs.com as well. it's on v2.22 right now with the next version in beta testing. Adds many things and makes the game more balanced.

#4398 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Might be a stupid question: if the battery in my game dies before I update it to 2.22, will it forever be stuck on 1.10? Or can I just replace the battery and update it after?

You can update any time. If you replace the battery it resets so you update again.

#4404 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Does anyone in this club have the Ultimarc arcade monitor video amplifier? https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-vga-and-video/arcadevga-accessories/arcade-monitor-video-amplifier/
I saw a video of it in a RFM on youtube, and thinking of buying it. The room the game is in is overly bright with the lights on, and just a bit too dark with the lights off..

Yes. Works great!

#4417 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

I know proper term is HUO, but i think this is a time capsule new out of box. This is the real deal and im glad to be a member of the club!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks pristine but keep in mind that audits can be reset at any time and/or are reset when the battery is replaced. You can go into detailed audits and see actual dates. Mine went back to 2005 when I got it last year.

#4418 3 years ago
Quoted from mcuzz:

I joined the club last week, really fun/fast/cool game. It came with the 2.22 code loaded, not sure what it was like before but the new code is fantastic. I plan on buying the shaker cable from applejuice. I have a few questions for the group.
1. when the secret weapon mode ends the anouncers voice gets cut off, bug in code or is this natural?
2. mine came with a square old lcd monitor,
Can someone send me a pic of the martian happy hour scene, just want to see where the martians line up with the ramps. I may need a bigger monitor.
3. Has anyone tried using a LEDOCD board on this machine?
4. An Idea for party mode inspired by the hypnobeam mode , a Blackout mode where all the lights and GI are off, complete darkness.
Thanks, glad to be in the club.

1. Haven't noticed on mine will check later
2. Ideal is original CRT with a video amp but a modern 22" widescreen monitor may be better than what you have. LCD will always show a grey monitor outline on the glass. CRT does not as it's completely black in the unused parts. There's fanboys for both options(CRT vs LCD) in this thread lol.
3. P2k is not supported by LED-OCD. Mine is all incandescent I prefer that look and functionality.
4. You need SOME light. Not everybody plays in a lit room. That's what hypnobeam does. All lights off except for the spiral image.

Welcome to the club!

#4421 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

This one?[quoted image]

Nope. The one that shows when certain features were activated like martian multiball, attack mars, etc. All those dates you are showing (1999) are the default after battery change (full reset).

Audits don't matter your game is in amazing condition (SOL hole is good reference).

LOL just noticed your audits are from the past but you are in the future!!! 26 hours into the future to be exact!!

#4424 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

So I have a RFM that had some arching from the flyback. I’ve done the repair work to the monitor and the game plays blind but I just get a white screen on the CRT like you’d see when no signal is coming through. Is it possible I fried the graphics card or something? Has anyone ported this game to a raspberry pi? What are my options?

You can get a Nucore/Pinbox replacement computer.

#4426 3 years ago
Quoted from mcuzz:

Also , the video in some modes is a little choppy or lags a bit , Is this normal or can ram upgrades fix it.

Switching to a Nucore/Pinbox computer will fix that.

#4429 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I have the original pin2k computer in mine, and the original monitor. AppleJuice's update runs buttery smooth for me - no stuttering at all, and my monitor is crystal clear and bright. The only thing I can say is that during drunk flippers mode, there's a delay after the ball drains before a new ball is sent into the shooter lane, but that's a minor thing.

I was also on the original hardware. I thought it wasn't stuttering until I upgraded to Nucore. It really is much nicer.

I run it on the original CRT as well.

#4432 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Where do I grab one of these upgrades? Are they readily available somewhere? I searched around and just found people talking about them no one selling them.

If by upgrades you mean a replacement computer running Nucore they aren't being sold. Sometimes one will come up on Pinside but it's pretty rare. You have to build it yourself and get intimate with Linux to set it up. Once it's done however you never have to mess with it again.

1 week later
#4444 3 years ago
Quoted from Konajack:

Anybody have any good suggestions with supplying 120 volts from my RFM to my LCD monitor, external amp, etc. I would like to install hookup a small power strip that is activate from the main switch.
Thanks,
Steve

Split the power going into the computer. It's already switched.

1 month later
#4474 3 years ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

I fired up RFM the other day, and it came up fine, then blip, dead. No output on the monitor.
I've got an original PC in there still (with new power supply, CPU fan, etc). I'll do some debugging on it, but I'm wondering if it would make more sense to replace it.
What's the current state of things on that? Does anyone have a recipe for replacing with a more modern motherboard? Nucore was a thing for a while, but now long defunct?
I'm a computer geek by trade, so happy to dig into Linux.... but I'm thinking this is a problem that is going to keep coming up for folks. And I'm hoping someone else has (recently) solved this problem.

You can make a modern PC running nucore. I suck at Linux and made it work. A bit of time googling and you should find all that you need. Nucore is free now but no support. If you go on their website and search the forums there you will find the installation files and instructions to run on 64-bit Ubuntu. Can't remember the version but it's still available. You could also run Pinbox which was a 'stolen' version of Nucore however it needs very specific older hardware to run on - I never got it to work nicely with ArcadeVGA. I have that motherboard/HD with Pinbox available. No video card.

The only issues you will have is the need to convert the VGA signal from a modern PC into CGA. You can buy converters - I have one unused but don't know how well it works as it's never been used! lol

Or if you can find an ArcadeVGA card somewhere you could just use that directly with the original monitor.

I also have a complete original P2000 PC(without the case) that was working when pulled a few months ago running RFM 2.22. I no longer have the game however so can't test. Was thinking of throwing it on eBay. Have a spare NIB CPU fan, spare ROM board battery, separator tool, SWEP1 ROM daughterboard, as well as a spare NIB Power supply.

#4476 3 years ago

And to get it working on 64-bit:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update -yq
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libsdl-image1.2:i386 libstdc++5:i386 libvorbisfile3:i386 -yq

Quoted from rygar:

You will also need the ROM files which do not come with Nucore installation.

You can find those on the illegal Pinbox installation. You're a self-proclaimed geek so you can find what you need.

#4489 3 years ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

Thank you rygar and MrMikeman - I'm playing around with this now. Going to have to see if I can find another motherboard onhand which will fit into the existing case.
I think the old nucore setup required a USB dongle, but it seems maybe they took away that requirement?
I do have an ArcadeVGA card already! Although it's in use at the moment, I could pull it (I bought to set up an arcade box to use an old CRT monitor, but as yet haven't gotten that working).
I think the interface with the Pinball2000 hardware is via parallel port?
So I need a motherboard which has both a parallel port, and a PCIe slot for the ArcadeVGA 5000 I have...

Yes you need a parallel port but remember that quite a few MB support it but do not include the external connector. Look for the LPT connection on the board. I used a super small (32gb) ssd to make it load fast. Worked great.

#4493 3 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

johnstewart My experience with the copy of Pinbox that I had was that it worked fine with the MB I had and the AVGA card I was using, I just had to fiddle around to get the roms installed. I was not able to get a fresh install of Linux/NuCore and the AVGA card to play nice together, I had graphics issues that didn't exist with my original NuCore setup, so I backed up my original NuCore install before running the updates and upgrading to applejuice's code.
You may have better results than me, I'm not proficient with Linux.
Let us know how you make out!

I had the opposite. Could not get Pinbox to play nicely with AVGA but Nucore/Unbuntu was a breeze (64 bit too).

1 week later
#4508 3 years ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

This weekend I finally attempted to install applejuice's 6-ball trough mod, and I wonder if anyone else who has installed it has suggestions.
I've got 2.22 loaded, and set 6-ball trough to "yes". I got the transmitters/receivers soldered on (short wire to "flat" side), and it seems like that was successful as the 6th ball does seem to somewhat detect (see video below).
Here's a little video showing the switch test, starting with 4 balls in (I didn't get video, but I can see the switches detect those 4 balls), and adding two more:

Basically, it seems like ball 5 isn't detecting at all (or always detecting? Hard to understand what's normal behaviour).
And ball 6 seems to be detecting, but when a ball is not in that spot, the switch test appears to be rapidly cycling (see the video for what I mean... when in switch test mode and no ball in the 6th spot, it makes a heck of a racket).
It sort of seems like I've mis-wired, but I think this all looks right according to the docs as I read them..
This is a photo of the board installed with the 4 wires coming off:
[quoted image]
And this is a photo showing the wires coming into the opto transmitter and receiver:
[quoted image]
Does that all look correct? Any suggestions where to start debugging?
If I didn't have good wiring connections, etc, I wouldn't expect things to detect at all. It's weird that the 2 slots are behaving differently, if I put the LEDs in backwards or something. Weird!
I'm hoping I'm an idiot and just mis-wired, but I'm not seeing what I did wrong.

IDC connectors suck and you may be getting intermittent contact with the wires you added to them. I had that issue. Wiggle the wires on both plugs in switch test and see what happens.

1 week later
#4530 3 years ago

I had 2.22 running on nucore/ubuntu 18.04 at 64bit. Just followed the instructions from the nucore forums.

I suck at linux so I can’t help much. Took me a few days of tinkering to get everything working well.

#4533 3 years ago
Quoted from DCrosby:

I don't doubt it, and I have it working on Pinbox as well, but somehow Lubuntu 18.04 LTS seems to be a different animal. I do Linux at work, not every day but at least 1x a week to work with machines that can only run their dedicated software on linux, I've configured 6-10 Raspbery Pi's to do different things, from Sprinkler Control, to Printer server, to retro pi installations, so I'm not a Linux Admin, but I'd like to think I know my way around the OS.
I also know that it can be very frustrating to try and use deb packages developed for one os and re-copile them for another.
So, again I'm not saying it doesn't work or it's not worthwhile, it is an amazing update to the old gameplay, but I've run into headwind on Lubuntu 18.04 with nucore, and updating, yet the same process works 100% on Pinbox on Lubuntu 10.04 LTS (Make sure to follow the install there to get the legacy packages patched), so my method is the same, the os is the variable, and I just want to leave this here, because I searched and searched and couldn't find any info on Nucore vs. Pinbox, and what was supposed to work, a lot of information out there is 8+ years old.
Again thank you to Jim/Mypinballs for updating a 20 year old Rom, and for my $0.02 the os matters very little, as this will be a purpose built machine.But I did want to try out if I could run the tournament system, and for that I'd rather not have a 10+ year old OS...

I got it working (nucore) on 18.04 by following the instructions at the top of this post:
http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1179

Further down there is instructions on getting it to work on x64:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update -yq
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libsdl-image1.2:i386 libstdc++5:i386 libvorbisfile3:i386 -yq

While an advanced PC user I know next to nothing in linux and it worked for me. It was a newer build. Can't remember what I used exactly other than it was a 64-bit intel system, probably 7th or 8th gen i5, and an ArcadeVGA card. The game has been sold so I can't check. You do need the rom files from the pinbox setup to get nucore going.

I never did get Pinbox to work properly but I'm glad I had it so I could extract the required rom files

For the updates I would just download the update files on a USB stick, put those files in the update folder on the nucore box, delete the NVRAM files, and reboot. The update process was seamless (once I figured out the naming nomenclature).

#4550 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

That’s not a bug or a hardware issue... that’s the “Power Drain” feature.

Ppl should really take the time to read what the code does if they are taking the time to install it.

#4556 3 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Didn’t feel like weak or no holds flippers more flutters. Quite different than jp power drain. Cool feature but surprising when I was in a really good game

You can turn it off in settings if you don’t like it.

#4585 3 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

Visually you can't tell the difference. It doesn't work then you know. There is no visually discernible difference between a standard serial cable and a null modem cable

But the connectors are wired different internally.

1 month later
#4633 2 years ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Is RFM dimensionally similar to stanadard pinball? I know the head box is much larger to accommodate the CRT but does it have a traditional sized cabinet and playfield?

Standard width cabinet but slightly shorter playfield and cab.

#4643 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

How much additional power can the light circuits handle? I am working on a custom topper and my original thought was to have some LED's as they take almost no power but Isince the pulsing lights on the playfield is one of the iconic parts of RVM, I thought it would be cool to have some lights in the topper that brighten and fade also. For instance, a red and green light that are wired to different sources so as the bulbs brighten and fade the light would change color.
My thought was to simply solder wires to a couple of sockets and run them up to the topper so the lights up there would be in sync, but now I am worried about the extra draw. Would a 3 or 4 additional #44 bulbs put too much strain on whatever circuit they were connected to?

Not sure about current draw but be aware you can't just add sockets. ALL the lights (including GI) on a Pin2k are matrixed. If you just add a socket(LED or incandescent doesn't matter) in parallel without a diode you will short rows/columns. I'm also not sure what effect having extra sockets/diodes in parallel will have on the matrix. Parallel connections have interesting effects on resistance values - not sure about what it does to the effectiveness of diodes in this kind of circuit. Maybe someone with an electrical engineering background can chime in...

#4646 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Thanks for the info. I am trying to keep it simple, not wire across 2 different lights as I know they are circuit controlled. I should probably just keep it totally separate just to be safe.....its too bad as when things like multi-ball hits and everything is flashing it would be cool

Even if you wire just 1 extra socket to an existing bulb it will short the row and column that lamp is on. Believe me I know. I had to un-mess up a game I got where the previous owner wired a small LED strip to one lamp socket. Not only was that light now shorted on all the time but all the lamps on that row & column were messed up and turning on when they shouldn't.

#4652 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Can you turn off the dimming like in BSD and others? I also plan to use LEDs and I think the heat and power savings outweighs the dimming effects.

The other things to know is the system will report all bulbs as burnt/malfunctioning. So you will always have the permanent credit dot and repeating audio "BONG" of an error. If you are running custom code you can disable the bulb warning.

I did the opposite. Converted both my RFM and SWEP1 playfields to incandescent. Hated the LED flickering and error reporting.

1 week later
#4672 2 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Anyone here have a SWE1 playfield? Just curious how often you swap it out. Do you feel like you wish you had it's own SWE1 cabinet so your could play both games easily or do you like the saving floor space and swapping? Is SWE1 fun enough on its merits, or does it dilute the appeal of RFM because it uses some similar shots and the pepper's ghost effect? Do you feel like coding changes, similar to what applejuice has done with RFM would significantly improve the appeal of the game?

For me swapping was a better option. SW is visually striking and appealing. Game play is very shallow and repetitive. RFM is way more fun/funny. I had it with a Nucore computer so it was simply swapping the shooter & pf and had it down to about 5 mins. I had RFM in about 90% of the time. Would only swap for guests or once in a while to change things up for a short time.

2 weeks later
#4715 2 years ago
Quoted from softail:

Hmmm......there are 3 white connectors in the cabinet.
You say one for the PC, one for the LCD screen , and the third one...??
Aren't the power supplies provided by the metal box on the right side of the cabinet ??

On an original P2K you have:
- AC Power to the PC.
- AC Power to the monitor.
- Audio connection to cabinet speaker.
- DB25 to driver board.
- DB9 to front of cab inside coin door.

Those are the connections between the cab and backbox.

1 week later
#4720 2 years ago
Quoted from vonclod:

Hi All.
I just installed an lcd and I seem to he getting a double image. I went to the convergence grid and see the attached. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. If not how do I correct? Thanks
[quoted image]

Do you have authentic p2k glass and is it installed correctly(correct side up)? Seems like the reflection you would get from both sides of regular glass or a p2k glass installed incorrectly. If authentic p2k glass there is a sticker at the bottom that indicates “this side up”.

BTW there will always be a little bit of a double reflection. The brighter the image the more noticeable it will be. The playfield being unlit in this case would make it appear worse.

3 weeks later
#4754 2 years ago
Quoted from vonclod:

Hi All.
I'm only getting what seems like half power on all my solenoids, flippers included. I metered all solenoid outputs from j101 on the driver board and am getting 70v DC on all. Any suggestions?

Bad ground on the driver board.

#4758 2 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Still all original hardware. All I've added is the power booster for the monitor years ago.
No fans are currently spinning. It's DOA right now.

you connected all the wires from the cab to the head? You should have 2 pc cables(9 and 25 pin), and 2 power cables(1 to pc and 1 to monitor), and finally the ground strap.

Did you try the “emergency” pc power button? Remove backglass. It’s the red button on the side of the PC case. Obviously the main switch has to be on as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrmikeman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=mrmikeman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.