IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (6 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (6 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveyvandy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3418 4 years ago

Could someone post pics of their harness and couplers for the shaker motor? I am having trouble getting mine to work and I used the recommended setup from mypinballs and even separately tried using the included Stern board (I have the Stern rev b shaker motor). I enabled the shaker in the settings and I just get no output onto the shaker. Hooking up 12v directly to the shaker from a power supply gets it to move, so I'm having trouble figuring out how to diagnose what to do. Thanks.

#3420 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Check your fuse. The output of the driver board may not have a protection diode which can cause the fuse to blow immediately.
The install instructions have been updated to include the installation of the diode.

Hmm, I checked all the fuses and there were no problems with any of them either in the fuse test or by directly testing continuity across them. I also just installed a knocker and I can't get that to work either. I should only have to enable the knocker and shaker in the system adjustments and wire them up correctly, or am I missing something else? I am attaching photos of my current setup for the shaker motor harness using the stern board. Greatly appreciate any feedback.

IMG_20191210_185238 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_185238 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_185326 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_185326 (resized).jpg
#3421 4 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Hmm, I checked all the fuses and there were no problems with any of them either in the fuse test or by directly testing continuity across them. I also just installed a knocker and I can't get that to work either. I should only have to enable the knocker and shaker in the system adjustments and wire them up correctly, or am I missing something else? I am attaching photos of my current setup for the shaker motor harness using the stern board. Greatly appreciate any feedback.[quoted image][quoted image]

Here's an updated photo that includes the knocker. I've tried just about every arrangement to get the shaker or knocker to fire, but nothing seems to work. I checked continuity on the pin2k driver board for where the orange yellow brown and blue wires connect and they all seem to be connected to the board just fine. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, it's kind of driving me crazy lol. I cannot get them to fire either while testing with the coin door closed or while playing. The only time I can get them to fire is when I directly hook up a 12-volt power supply. It seems like the software is not outputting the signal for whatever reason. Even when I hook up a DMM to the ports directly on the board I can't seem to get good voltage readings off of them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

IMG_20191210_213434 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_213434 (resized).jpg
#3425 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

It could be a few things... It seems odd that both knocker and shaker are out... that leads me to believe its a connector problem... but everything should be checked just the same.
First re-seat the knocker/shaker harness on the power driver board.
1. Check Voltages (the game wouldn't work right if this was the case as other things would be off as well, but you should check)
- Use your DVOM and check Test Point TP5, it should be 12V. If its not... this is likely your issue for the shaker.
- Use your DVOM and check both sides of F101.. you should see 50-ish VDC if its not... this likely the issue for your knocker.
2. Cold solder joint on J101? (9 pin connector that the brown and yellow wire are connected to).
- Unplug the shaker/knocker power connector from the PCB.
- Use your DVOM and check the socket where yellow and brown connect (pins 9 and 1). It should always have 12VDC and 50-ish VDC respectively. If you get nothing here then its likely a physical problem with the connection to the PCB. You should remove your PCB and inspect the back side for cold solder joints along the connector. Re-flow if necessary.
- If the previous step checked out... plug the shaker/knocker power connector back into the PCB.
- Use your DVOM and check the yellow and brown on that harness when it is connected into the driver board. Again, it should always have 12VDC and 50-ish VDC respectively. If you get nothing here then its likely a physical problem with the connection to the PCB connector. Could possibly be the harness but I doubt it... we'll check that later.
- To be complete, check the same two pins on the adjacent connector J102? (they are the same pinout)... they should also have the same output voltages.
- If you get voltage on the adjacent connector you can try swapping them (other crap may not work on your playfield if its a problem with the connector) to get your motor and knocker to fire.
3. Cold solder joint on J111. The driver syncs the current to turn on the motor and solenoid through this connector.
- Swap J111 and J110, if the connector is bad the other things on your playfield may not work... but the motor and knocker should.
- If you can get it to work after you swap the connector, you should remove your PCB and inspect the back side for cold solder joints along the connector. Re-flow if necessary.
4. Faulty drivers (I would suspect that one could be bad... but both of them being bad seems odd to me... but who knows).
- Knocker driver Q44
- Shaker driver Q45
5. Faulty harness (unlikely)
- Remove the harness.
- Inspect all the pins and socket contacts, make sure they are not deformed.
- Use your DVOM to ring out the connections for each wire... make sure there is continuity
- There could also be an issue with the pins and sockets not making good contact to the power driver PCB. I've seen this happen on occasion with new pins and old sockets as they are out of tolerance (using less and cheaper material now). Sometimes this can be fixed (with the power off) by physically compressing the socket connector on the PCB a bit with a small screwdriver... be careful not to distort it too much.

Holy crap thank you for the very detailed response! I started with what Zitt suggested and I tested all the transistors and they all checked good with two exceptions (see picture). Do you guys happen to know the part numbers for these transistors lol?
IMG_20191211_084250 (resized).jpgIMG_20191211_084250 (resized).jpg

Edit: to be clear, these two transistors (the exact ones needed for the shaker and knocker) were depopulated on my board. Why? I have no idea. But "there's yer problem"

#3428 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

It should be written on the body of the part.
FET 20N10L (IRL540)

Thank you so much Ricochet! I'll get these ordered and back on soon enough.

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Cool! I’m surprised these were both popped. Do you think something was shorted during all of this ?

I hope not. None of the fuses have blown and it passes the smoke test. But until I get the parts in I'll turn off the shaker and knocker and unplug them to be safe.

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Ahh they were missing !!! I thought you took them out because you said they were bad??? Yeah missing parts will be a problem LOL!!!

Yes they were missing! When I finally figured that out I was so happy to finally track down the issue. Then I began swearing at the person who caused me this wild goose chase.

I was able to order some from Amazon so thanks again for the part numbers!

#3436 4 years ago

This thread has really helped me get up to speed on getting my RFM in the best possible state.
As thanks, I present my LED monitor setup.

My RFM did not come with a CRT, but it did come with this crappy little 19" flat panel Dell monitor.
It was definitely not bright enough and it did not look good at all.
I immediately replaced it with a 22" Dell (SE2216H) that was on Amazon for $90.

This monitor is nice because:
1. It spans the opening of the RFM CRT hole by some margin on the left and right sides.
2. Its brightness and contrast are pretty darn good, especially for the price.
3. It will line up the the virtual images on the field very nicely.
4. It has options to set the horizontal width and offset.

I created my own mounting system for less than $10 by using conduit clamps and old coil stops.
There is a conduit clamp at the top middle and bottom middle.
There are two coil stops at the two bottom corners.
The empty space around the monitor is covered with black poster paper and tape to hold that down.
I will say that mounting the monitor as high up in the hole as possible helps you to not have to crouch to see the image.
IMG_20191207_202832 (resized).jpgIMG_20191207_202832 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191215_103742 (resized).jpgIMG_20191215_103742 (resized).jpg

You still need the CGA/VGA converter (http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm) to use this monitor.
Mine was already installed so I cannot say how complicated it is to put together.
However, I will say that you should make sure the dials (labelled RP1, RP2, and RP3) on it are cranked all the way up!
This will maximize the brightness of your display.
Mine originally were not, and I only figured it out since my dad had been on another RFM the day before and said mine was not so bright.
If you cannot see the purple space and colors in the bonus screen, that is a good sign that you need to modify your screen settings.
IMG_20191209_152801 (resized).jpgIMG_20191209_152801 (resized).jpg

I also invested in a scan-line generator (Walfront Screen Scan line Generator) to give that old-school look and feel.
It was only about $20 on Amazon, and though completely unnecessary it is cool.
IMG_20191215_103802 (resized).jpgIMG_20191215_103802 (resized).jpg

You can also see a giant black knob in the above picture.
This is for a LED light I installed in placed of the tube-light.
It is powered by connection to 12V in a molex connector inside the PC (I had to snip the power adapter the lights came with).
I got this since I did not want the bright lights on the back-glass to cause so much glare on the play-field and the knob lets me fine tune it.

The final product?
IMG_20191215_103629 (resized).jpgIMG_20191215_103629 (resized).jpg

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Have you guys seen these?
[quoted image]

These look awesome!
Their Facebook page shows a video of them fyi.
Just ordered them!
https://m.facebook.com/RetroRefurbsUK/videos/2460030384090903/?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FRetroRefurbsUK%2F&_rdr

1 month later
#3484 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Figured I’d post this here because it applies to this game too. I use an $8 “bent plastic” DMD glare guard on my Star Wars Episode 1 to eliminate the translite glare from the playfield glass. Lift the translite, insert the guard into the channel and set the translite back in place.
3rd pic show the reflection of the translite on the playfield glass with the guard off.
Last pic shows the glass with the guard on.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've been looking for something like this for a while. Where did you find this?

#3488 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yes , pinball life is where I bought it. I have one on all my dmd pins.

Ah, it's listed under "Bent Plastic", no wonder I had trouble searching for it lol.

1 month later
#3547 4 years ago

For reference, here is a photo of my shaker and knocker installation.

I just kept the stern board in there as well since it has the diodes built in. The data east knocker also has a diode built in. With the stern board you can short the ceramic resistor for more shaker power. All you have to do is run an extra wire and parallel to bridge both points of the ceramic resiator. Be sure to use a thick wire given the current going through it. In the end I decided that without the wire I was good with the power of the shaker.
IMG_20191210_213434 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_213434 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_185326 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_185326 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_194757 (resized).jpgIMG_20191210_194757 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#3843 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Tried in compatibility mode with a usb-serial converter (COM1) and cant even make the software start. Can’t see the com port. I am back to my initial plan.

Follow this tutorial:
https://brianpeek.com/pinball-2000-software-update-with-windows-7-x64/

3 weeks later
#3907 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Also, this
A working 6 ball trough. Coded updated to recognise the upgrade of the trough with its new hardware. Just need to make a neat pcb that will plug onto the existing opto driver board now.
Am testing at the mo and my beta testers will also put it through its paces, but i believe the code will still run with a stock 4 ball trough to. It makes it more complicated to do but we dont want to leave anyone behind just yet.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Dude, you're crazy in the coolest way!
Love the work you do

1 week later
#3940 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The first prototype custom pcbs for adding 6 ball trough control are ready to be made. This board will plug on to the existing opto driver board.
[quoted image]

This is so awesome! Assuming this means you can expand the code to take advantage of six ball multi-ball?

3 weeks later
#3999 3 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

So all these posts for this game and no good advice for led’s? Do led’s for the under playfield switched lamps make the game too bright or is it ok? Leave GI incandescent ? Trying to find some good advice .

One of the things you have to be careful with for the LEDs is that this game has dimming effects that are intended for bulbs. So the LEDs will likely flicker anytime a dimming effect is being used, like after you complete a mode. It's best to test in small batches first before making big changes throughout your playfield. I ended up doing GI LEDs towards the flippers, but not changing anything further up the field since I didn't want to drown out the view of the monitor. I would just test and small batches first to see what works for you.

#4007 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Job2 . Update the software

Job 3: install shaker motor with new software from applejuice

1 month later
#4091 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

v2.22 update notes currently stand as, This is not a final release yet.
Revenge from mars update notes
v2.22 RFM Update
System - Reverted to original v1.5 Sound File
Scene - Fixed an issue where the ball save was broken for scene endings. Where the ball drains and is not held by the up post as the scene end runs.
Hurry Up - Improved graphics interaction with scene manager, especially at end of scenes where a hurry up is still running.
Hurry up - Now gets stopped when the scene ends if its not been collected and is still running
Happy Hr - regular flippers are now restored if a multi-ball mode runs during this mode, pausing the happy hr mode
Happy Hr - Drunk flippers are resumed once any higher priority mode has finished (multi ball) modes. Possibly makes the games little more tricky, so player need to be alert!
Happy Hr - Added new graphics and speech calls to tell players about normal flippers if changing from drunk and vise versa
Attract - Fixed a few missing lamps from the std twinkle effect
Power Drain - New Feature! Inspired from Dialed In. During Martian Attack Multiball certain shots must be completed in time otherwise the big martian will attack your flippers for a short period!!
System - 6 ball trough now recognised once extra hardware installed
Midnight Madness - Updates to support multiple sizes of troughs
Capture Multiball - add a ball now upports multiple sizes of troughs
XINA 1.34
System - Added new additional baud speeds new updater software program
Hidden Images - Removed some old images to make more flash ram space for game code updates and allow original computer systems to still receive the latest code updates

Can't wait for the power drain feature! I've been playing Dialed In a lot recently and I love it when the machine attacks you. Excellent work as always mate!

2 weeks later
#4117 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

v2.22 is now out. Download at https://mypinballs.com
Update notes are:
v2.22 RFM Update
System - Reverted to original v1.5 Sound File
Scene - Fixed an issue where the ball save was broken for scene endings. Where the ball drains and is not held by the up post as the scene end runs. See Appendix1 for more detailed explanation on this fix.
Hurry Up - Improved graphics interaction with scene manager, especially at end of scenes where a hurry up is still running.
Hurry up - Now gets stopped when the scene ends if its not been collected and is still running
Happy Hr - regular flippers are now restored if a multi-ball mode runs during this mode, pausing the happy hr mode
Happy Hr - Drunk flippers are resumed once any higher priority mode has finished (multi ball) modes. Possibly makes the games alittle more tricky, so player need to be alert!
Happy Hr - Added new graphics and speech calls to tell players about normal flippers if changing from drunk and vise versa
Attract - Fixed a few missing lamps from the std twinkle effect
Power Drain - New Feature! Inspired from Dialed In. During Martian Attack Multiball certain shots must be completed in time otherwise the big martian will attack your flippers for a short period!!
System - 6 ball trough now recognised once extra hardware installed
Midnight Madness - Updates to support multiple sizes of troughs
Capture Multiball - add a ball now upports multiple sizes of troughs
XINA 1.34
System - Added new additional baud speeds new updater software program
Hidden Images - Removed some old images to make more flash ram space for game code updates and allow original computer systems to still receive the latest code updates
Now starting work on v2.23...

I think I speak for everyone when I say "hell yes! thank you so much"

1 week later
#4160 3 years ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Ok, so I’ve currently got a “standard” 19” LCD, and it’s good, but could be better. The guys on the ramps are not quite on the ramps, if you know what I mean.
I’m running Pinbox, so I plan to stick with LCD, so what’s the preferred size LCD size/type to use for this? Seems as you go larger, the aspect ratio changes.
Recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Check post #3436 for what I did for LCD installation if you need other ideas.

4 weeks later
#4203 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm hooking Mark up with a fan, I'm local to him and had to buy a five pack for my Revenge from Mars.
[quoted image]

I think mine was going bad too. Are they the 40 by 10 mm ones? Here's a five pack I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757LXKST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_C-iQFbWRJQK2R

#4208 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

No, close, but the size is slightly different, this one fits perfectly. And you will have 4 extras to give away like me
amazon.com link »

Thank you! Ordered.

1 month later
#4292 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Sharing little info on things added to the next update v2.23, which is in the works at the mo but not yet released. Possibly an early 2021 release for it
----------------------
v2.23 RFM Update (Working In Progress ONLY)
Power Drain - fixed a minor issue where the feature may still run at the end of multiball if it was queued up previously. Ie it wasn’t been canceled cleanly
Mothership - is now trough aware and will launch 1 - the max number of trough balls at mode start. i.e 3 or 5.
Alien Abduction - added more speech, some adult!
Attract - added More Speech to flipper button presses
Paris in Peril - Added more Speech
End of Ball - Added More Speech
Ball Save - Added mMore Speech
Secret Weapon - Added more Speech
Right Popper (Stroke of Luck) - Improved logic to fix a bug where a payback time award would conflict with a lit martian attack mode and result in no ball being kicked out for the payback time duration
Stroke Of Luck - Added new award - ‘Odd Change’
Stroke Of Luck - Added new award - ’10% Player Score’
Stroke of Luck - Improved Collect Bonus Integration. End of Ball Graphics now play when awarded aswell as receiving the score calculated
----------------------
I am also thinking about a new party mode that has popped into my head whilst relaxing over the xmas break.
I would like to hear peoples thoughts on it.
This would be a new Party Mode option added to the list of party modes and would be only for games where there are multiple players started.
The titled of it would be 'Score War' and the the Stroke of Luck shot would be changed to only give out either fixed point reduction for all other players or a percentage decrease of their scores. Everything else would be the same and the SOL would be lit & collected in the same way. Could be a fun option to play with your friends (if you know each other well!!)
Let me know what you think anyway.

applejuice , I love what you did with the power drain feature!
I have some recommendations for it based on my time with Dialed In.
* Add shaker effects while it is active
* Add lighting effects while it is active (maybe the corresponding left/right alien eye above the flippers blinking with it)
* Shorten the pulses sent to the flipper so that they do not make a full extension. They are extremely short on Dialed In and it makes it feel like you are stunned.

Thank you so making this game even better

2 months later
#4483 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPilot:

Just got my first RFM last week. HUO since 2002 with papers. Been in a private upstairs gameroom for the last 20 years. Hardly ever even turned on, much less played. Still has the little white "Warranty void if Removed" stickers on the head and the cabinet! When I mentioned some of the game modes, the seller said "we never got that far, we sucked at pinball" LOL! No playfield wear. Really just a nice, unmolested, 100% original version of Revenge from Mars.
Been enjoying it, but it had the ORIGINAL .90 firmware, so I updated to 2.22 (Fan-made) and its a whole new game! In the .90 firmware, you can only select to start a game in the Paris or Whitehouse (Alien Abduction) modes. In 2.22 firmware, a game may be started in any of nine options, including Mystery! Much more fun game! No wonder the original owners never saw any of the modes I mentioned!
I was able to update the firmware using a Windows 10 laptop, a usb-to-serial converter, and a "null" cable, which is really one vga cable with female leads at both ends, which is needed to make the connection behind the coin door. I had to run the install from a DOS CMD window, but it worked fine. There is no need to put the game in any special mode, as long as its turned on and working, it will recognize the firmware update. For software, I used what I found on the internet, if you've any trouble locating the page with the downloads and instructions, let me know.
As for mods, I ordered the VGA amplifier from England, and I ordered a Stern shaker motor, LEDs, and two clear cupholders !!! Ordered red leg protectors. I have five microswitches on order (three required, two as back up). The top two rollovers and right return lane were all dead. Also ordered five transistors as the right side apron, Martian, and kick-up hole flashers aren't working, yet bulbs are good. Overall it plays well - I'm thinking this one will stay in my collection for a long time!
My VGA tube-style monitor says "Samsung" on it - has it been replaced? Never knew Samsung made tube TVs. Still nice and crisp, but looking forward to increased brightness and contrast from the VGA amplifier mod.
Also, one last big question: Why no Pinstadium lights offered for this title? I'd like to light up the PF a bit, but tastefully, and in consideration of the holographic effects. Has anyone added LED strip lighting and tied it to the GI?

I'm a huge fan of PinStadium lighting, but definitely on this machine it is a pass. You need to be able to see the monitor reflection so the back half the playfield needs to be darker.

Also careful with what kind of leds you get, since this game has dimming effects, they may look very flickery when they are supposed to be dimmed. I wish they did have LED and GI OCD boards for this game...

2 months later
#4650 2 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

Does anyone make mirror blades for RFM? What is everyone using for leds?? I'm about to convert a RFM to leds and would love to hear and see your results before I get into it. Thanks for any advice!

Be warned that most of the bulbs on this game have dimming effects and replacing with LEDs will look very flickery when the dimming effects are active. You can definitely see it after completing any mode. Mirror blades would be a good alternative to bounce the light around inside. You don't want to make it too bright though, then you won't be able to see the video overlay.

#4653 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Can you turn off the dimming like in BSD and others? I also plan to use LEDs and I think the heat and power savings outweighs the dimming effects.

I'm not sure you can disable the dimming. Maybe you could request applejuice to have it as an option in his custom code.

2 months later
#4770 2 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

I'm also getting ready to connect the shaker motor. I have the motor installed. The instructions say you don't need to board from stern. Can anyone who has done it grab me a picture of what the connection to the motor with the fuse and diode will look like? Thaaaaannks

Well here's pictures with the board for reference if it's at all helpful.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/71#post-5541829

5 months later
#5063 2 years ago

I have a busted target. I think this is the replacement for it if anyone could confirm?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18019-11

Also I noticed that the left red target on my machine is different than the others. From looking at the gallery images, this is intentional? I noticed that there is a little loose black bracket that also scrapes it and wondered if anyone else had that issue as well.

PXL_20220130_184116038.jpgPXL_20220130_184116038.jpg
#5066 2 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

That is the correct part for the green target and all your red targets are correct as well.
If you want to replace the larger square red one this is the part. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20846-4
As for the part rubbing on it I would have to open mine up and I am not at home at the moment but I know mine does not rub on the target at all.

Thank you very much for the confirmation. I was thinking I probably don't want to replace the big red one since it's probably preventing a ball trap.

#5068 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

It's broken. It's also leaning and could have lost structural integrity. I would want to replace it.

Ah, okay I didn't realize it was broken. I'll definitely get replacements for both parts. Thanks for the advice!

1 month later
#5165 2 years ago
Quoted from Matt08:

Hi RFM Fans,
I just got mine a few weeks ago.
Great shape, I think it is HUO, no wear anywhere.
Absolutely addictive playing.
I installed video amplifier from Arcade classic in Germany : Image quality is totally upgraded.
I upgraded to 2.24 too, and will soon order the 6 balls kit.
Thks to mypinballs.com
He is doing great job
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That topper is amazing. I need that in my life lol.

1 week later
#5198 2 years ago

As was foretold by a pinsider here, my red left standup was broken. It has now fallen apart lol. Fortunately I ordered a replacement part and it's sitting in the coinbox. Unfortunately the machine is over an hour away for me to fix it (it's also at a short term rental and I don't like to bother guests so it's difficult for me to get out there due to the volume of rentals).

Is there a stuck ball concern here? I'm willing to bet a ball could sneak behind that standup and get stuck...

IMG_20220318_185237 (resized).jpgIMG_20220318_185237 (resized).jpgIMG_20220318_185240 (resized).jpgIMG_20220318_185240 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5231 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Step 1: buy the lamp
Step 2: figure out how to make it the topper
Gotta level it out up top I guess right? And a bit nervous that the clear beam part doesn’t fasten down, just rests up top. I guess no more nudging
[quoted image]

Try alien tape maybe?
I can't remember, is there a spare USB port on the PC inside of RFM? Wondering how you can power sync the topper.

1 month later
#5296 1 year ago
Quoted from themotherbrain:

I grabbed the big o jiggly Martians awhile back.
https://www.mickspinball.com/afm-rfm-big-o-jiggly-martian-led-pi
I really like the way they flail around now. I picked these chrome saucers up recently too.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Where did you get the chrome saucers from? They look great!

#5340 1 year ago

My stroke of luck is now shooting out down the middle every third time or so. Any adjustments I can make to fix it?

#5342 1 year ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

My stroke of luck is now shooting out down the middle every third time or so. Any adjustments I can make to fix it?

I think I mostly fixed it, basically just tightening and readjusting the screws that the solenoid was mounted with.

2 weeks later
#5369 1 year ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Any tips for a ramp that won't drop back down?
Was staying up at times before and one hit would get it all the way down. Now it stays up and won't return.
I've seen varying info about replacing or oil.
Thanks.

I can't remember if there is a coil under there, but if so you can try replacing the potentially dirty coil sleeve and coil stop.

5 months later
#5618 1 year ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Met a new local tech who helped resolve a couple of slot machine issues and he was nice enough to help me hoist the heavy ass head in place. Haven't powers it on quite yet - I'll go through the machine first but still smells new.
According to the packaging, s/w v.1.2 is installed. Need to figure out how to install applejuice's s/w on this thing once it's powered on. Have Cliffy's ready to go before the first ball is played, monitor amplifier just arrived, new balls and a PB bulbs LED kit ready to go.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would personally hold off on doing the LED kit update until you play at least a game or two. You will lose out on a lot of dimming effects if you go the LED route. Sadly, there is not an LED or GI OCD board available for this game.

4 months later
#5897 1 year ago

I'm having a weird issue:
Every time the center ramp is in the up position, the stroke of luck scoop continually fires.
Any ideas of what to look at?

#5901 1 year ago
Quoted from GILV:

Check if the wire colors are the same colors on both coils, if so, search for a bad diode on one of the 2 coils.
That's what I would do first.

It ended up being a switch diode!
A few months ago I had installed a replacement switch and totally borked the diode attachment (put it on the wrong leads).
Today, I referenced how other switches looked around there and copied that.
All good now!

#5930 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

They are also 3D-printable if you have access to a 3D printer. I had my brother make me one. I can't remember where I found the file.

Fourth one down here: https://thangs.com/search/Pinball%202000?scope=all

2 weeks later
#5993 1 year ago
Quoted from Nickz4860:

Just looked it up, it’s called “back glass lift molding”.

The rails are too high for just one flat sheet of ply wood . I would need to make something that slides in, but also drops down to create a lower platform.

I saw pics in someone's market place ad that had it mounted to the very back plywood in the back box. Then the plywood was hinged on the bottom so you could easily access it from behind the machine. May require taking the PC innards out to mount there and probably works best if you don't have a crt.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 month later
#6061 11 months ago

My RFM came with a playfield protector.
Over the years, there was so much dirt buildup between the playfield and the protector.
The other day, I cut it out.
Here's a pic with a cut down the middle, can you tell which side the protector is on?

PXL_20230518_225316604 (resized).jpgPXL_20230518_225316604 (resized).jpgPXL_20230518_230015723 (resized).jpgPXL_20230518_230015723 (resized).jpg
8 months later
#6548 84 days ago
Quoted from Zee:

I know that in MAME there are different video filters to make an LCD look like a CRT (scanlines, selective convolution matrices, etc); but I don't know if such a thing can be implemented in the RFM video pipeline. Would be cool if it's possible...

I've got a hardware scan-line generator that I've been happy with that goes with my LCD:

https://a.co/d/1HI9vVN

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveyvandy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=daveyvandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.