IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (6 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (6 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

In the picture above, it's the molex connector with the wire loops.

That's your transformer secondary voltage selector. Those come in several different configs to support 220v, 115, and 100v line voltage.

Likely you just have a bad crimp in one of the pins.

#305 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Is it really as easy as rewiring with new male pins/crimps?
Should I get a new molex connector too, what part is this even called?
Where do I buy these items?

Yup!
I made a custom one for a 100v line when my TZ was in a location that had only 105v feeds..

I don't know the Molex part number (there were 9-pin and 12-pin throughout the WPC/Pin2000 era, and not sure which one yours has), but you can get one and pins from digikey or mouser. The schematics/manual should have the pinout for the plug in them, showing the different options for different live voltages.

(Note - this is assuming that the loose pin/crimp is in the jumper plug. It's possible it's in the socket in the metal cage..)

2 months later
#530 9 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Thanks for the info..... did not know that! Learned something new today.
NOW IF I CAN JUST FIND THEM!!!! Home depot are lowes are no good for the 20mm fuses. Radio Shack is gone, Grainger cant get them for two weeks, and im hesitant to pay Marcos $9 shipping for some friggin fuses!!! I cant believe no local stores carry these. Someone needs to convince Home Depot or Lowes to carry a small electronics section now that Radio Shack is gone.

Auto Parts store should have 'em.

#532 8 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Add AutoZone to the list that doesn't carry them.
Checking Advance Auto today.

Huh. Mine does.. (Though, this may be because I live in a rather very rural place, and tractors are common..)

Sorry!

Edit: Hell, you're 30-45 mins from me. I have some if you wanna drive up and pick 'em up! (Would have to be in the evening, though, as I work during the day..!)

#535 8 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

LMAO..... Yes very familiar with Harpers Ferry! Need to get off my fat ass and take a bike ride out that way.
Which AutoZone? In Charles Town? Im going to be in Charles Town this weekend.

Yeah -
The AutoZone on Washington (at US340) had them two months ago. As did the TSC on 340 (east of Charles Town, towards Harpers Ferry behind the Sheetz) as of last summer.

I should be home most of the weekend (likely gone Sunday until noon..) so if you don't find any, let me know I can give you some of mine. (My TZ's still without a PF, so I don't need the ones I have.. And since my ONLY game is sitting in pieces, I don't have anything you could play yet, sorry.) Edit to add - I'm just off of 9 as well, so I'm not far out of the way.

1 month later
#670 8 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

The black level is what MFGs have been pulling their hair out trying to resolve to match CRTs.
Up to this point its the big elephant and the LCD Golden Egg once the solution is cracked.
Google the subject.

OLED, baby!

2 months later
#740 8 years ago
Quoted from onceler:

I would be... Unfortunately I don't think I can make it down to Evansville. I made the treck down from Chicago a few weeks ago to Holiday World.
Seems like a good price.

Is it stil available for that price? I could swing down that was on my way to Minneapolis in a couple weeks. The downside is that I'd have to load it up in the back of my pickup and store in my hotel room until I headed back through the upper-midwest (Chicago, Tulss, etc) on my way back.

3 months later
#810 8 years ago
1 month later
#858 8 years ago
Quoted from osudrummer:

Those are a little pricey, I just installed this one yesterday.
I left the starter and ballast in place so easily reversible. Just unhooked the wires so i had a white on one end and black on the other. The black wire is now the one coming from the hot instead of the ballast. Looks great on SWEP1 with the cool white!
image_(resized).png

I ordered those a few weeks ago for my Rock'n'Bowl arcade redemption. These are *fantastic*, and the light color output is just right, as well. I can't recommend these enough - and like mentioned, they're rotate-able so no modifying the sockets.

(And for those of you hesitating to remove the ballast and such.. I wouldn't worry about it. The LED tubes will be a lot more common in the future, and with the ballast and starter out of the picture, the backbox will run cooler, and with less UV output to damage or fade any plastics.)

1 month later
#900 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

not really. they pop up on ebay from time to time (like this one). they're just not cheap when they do
ebay.com link » Motherboard Pinball 2000 Revenge From Mars Star Wars Episode 1

What?? Won't any Socket 7 MB with an ISA lot work? Because that MB in the ebay auction looks pretty standard.. no special connectors or anything.

#902 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

PB2K uses a PC mainboard in BAT formfactor with Cyrix Media GX processor on it. This cyrix processor and his cyrix bridge (CX5520) are obligatory for PB2K and not replaceable by any other PC mainboard or processor! Boards with a CX5510 bridge do start the P2K game code, but cannot display the P2K video output when the game has started. Boards with a CX5530 bridge don't work either.

Interesting - good to know!

#924 8 years ago

Why are we shouting? O.o

3 months later
#1053 7 years ago
Quoted from pumpkinlad:

http://lockwhenlit.com/ is his site correct?

Definitely some game play differences I am noticing between this and a 1.6 machine, I wonder if this is the earliest version of the game as I doubt there was a 0.0 and if I should preserve it for future generations.

Picture attached, but this serial might just be for the coin door itself since Marco carries one with a similar part number:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/09-9602

Yeah - that's coin door info, not game info, just for the record.

1 month later
#1089 7 years ago

No "mod" is needed, honestly. Just get an LED replacement tube.

1 week later
#1106 7 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

My screen is a little yellow in one of the corners. I was told to de magnetize it. Is that true? And if so, how do I do that?

You need to get a degausser coil. They're on eBay for between $30 and $100. Save it, use it whenever you see color bleeding or fading like that. (Works on all CRT tubes; TVs, computer monitors, and arcade monitors.)

There are directions online (check youtube) on proper use of one, once you get it.

2 weeks later
#1129 7 years ago

Yeah, no LEDs out there will support dimming. You'll need the OCD board to notice the effects..

4 months later
#1324 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

you're using the correct replacement cap (3.3K ohm is different than 33K ohm

.. And if your caps have ohms listed on them, they're not rally going to work at ALL.

#1327 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

true enough, but I think that people get the gist. I should have really used 22uf vs 2.2uf

It's okay, i was just being a smartass.

3 months later
#1577 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It's my desert island pin. If I am on a deserted island and there is only one outlet, I take RFM .

You should, to better use your time, look to see where that power for the outlet is coming from. Likely, you'll find a way OFF the island.

5 months later
#1695 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

I purchased the the amp, thanks.
My monitor colours are pretty screwed, looks like a strong magnet hit it at some point I think I'd prefer a new LCD screen.

If it WAS a magnet, it's a very easy fix. Get a degausser and degauss the monitor.
If that doesn't correct it, then you'll need to have a tech look at it.

But if it just needs a degaussing, it's not a reason to ditch the whole thing.

1 week later
#1713 6 years ago

And the difference between 5:4 and 4:3 is almost impossible to tell with the naked eye. (5:4 = 3.75:3) It's almost nothing compared to difference between 16:9 and 4:3.

#1715 6 years ago

True, but I have NEVER seen a monitor without a 'fit' scaling mode in its menu.

Quoted from aerobert:

Difficult to judge the physical size just by looking but it's more complicated then that. It depends on what resolution you want to display. The scaling factor is important, otherwise it will look terrible. For example most 5:4 19" LCD displays are 1280x1024. So the best native resolution needs to be an even multiplier. Divide those by 4 and you get 320x256 which isn't good if you want to display a 320x240 signal. However 1280x960 divided by 4 gives you just that but it will then leave you with black bars top and bottom.
Is RFM displaying 640x480 natively? Then a divider by 2 isn't good either since that is 640x512

1 month later
#1743 6 years ago

They likely did not use a single model CRT. Any CRT of the same size was likely used, as was common with arcade games of the era.

2 months later
#1927 6 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Common misconception (likely due to the shorter cabinet size). Yes, the playfield is a couple inches shorter than a modern Stern. But it is also longer than many, including Williams System 11 (which no one would call “short”).
Here’s a good list of playfield sizes: http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Playfield_Sizes

WPC (Through 1987)

Uuh.. When, exactly, do they think WPC (originally WPC-89) came out?

3 months later
#2090 5 years ago

Also notice that the stainless ones are NOT the same thickness. If you go too thin, it will give, and in some cases that will cause some airballs.

1 year later
#3459 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I'm not looking forward to fixing this...[quoted image]

What the flying fack? SOmeone drill through the insert? Did it melt?

7 months later
#4030 3 years ago

No - that's a splice, because someone else broke it before you did.

Edit: Tobavoid giving wrong info, it may be a diode.

I want someone to cut that open. I me er had an RFM on route, but also never remember hearing about these back in RGP when the games were new!

#4038 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

A friend picked of a RFM yesterday and dropped it off at my house this. I have a SWE1 so I offered to have him drop it off for me to check out - was sitting in storage and couldn't power it on. Needs to have the PC motherboard caps replaced, the green ones are all swelled or leaking except one. Likely need a new CPU as well since the CPU fan doesn't work, so the chip is likely toast.
I swapped in my SWE1 PC and installed the RFM prism card and booted up just fine. Gave us a chance to do switch testing - needs a few microswitches replaced and 3 sets of optos.
But check out this .1 software version. January 26, 1999. Anyone know if this is the very first version? I haven't been able to find a reference earlier than .9 when searching. But anyway, now to research software updating process.
[quoted image]

Be sure to grab the code off those eoroms before you do..!

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Free play only?? with masked rom's? WMS made masked roms for RFM that can fail back to free play only?
Does it have full an flash card?

Prototype software. Likely was free play only as they did not want operators trying to run it and cause playability issues.

#4046 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

incorrect. I had some of those in my nos parts. there is a diode in there

See my edit? No? See my edit that you quoted.

#4062 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

haha. I missed the edit portion. it's all good

No worries. I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong! And small enough to hide behind a typo'd edit.

5 months later
#4436 3 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Took a chance on ordering from coinopparts.com when I saw a nice looking playfield pop up. Glad I did. This thing is in fantastic shape. No shooter wear, almost no hole wear (a little to the bare wood, but not touching the art).
Thinking of having it clear coated. Any suggestions on who could clear it without breaking the bank?[quoted image]

No question - Ron.

#4439 3 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I think he only takes NOS and repro playfields at this point. Mine is nice, but not that nice.

Ah, you are right - when I read his comment about buying from 'coinopparts', I thought it was an old NOS field. My bad!

1 week later
#4452 3 years ago
Quoted from Arvid:

Thanks for the reply. It is this one, directly connected to the PCB? Or is it located elsewhere in the cab?
[quoted image]

No, that is the neck board. Be real careful around the CRT's neck.
There will be another board, where those wires are connected to. That's the chassis, and that will have the 120v plug.

4 weeks later
#4478 3 years ago

Deleted, since apparently I somehow posted in the wrong thread. Nothing to see here!

1 year later
#5699 1 year ago

I believe that last one should actually be "1R" and not "1L". So "3R, 1L, 1R". That's how it is on WPC95 games at least. The last alternate single press is used to indicate that you're "finished" entering. (Both is how you tell the game "okay, I'm starting".)

#5703 1 year ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Strange.
It doesn't seem to do anything.
What us supposed to happen?

Honestly don't know - I never knew about this code on RFM before, so never tried.
Keep in mind, the code MAY be dependant on a certain version of software, or do something 'hidden', like activate a special animation that will play the next time you make a certain shot..

9 months later
#6182 7 months ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Star Wars Episode 1
In Attract mode, press the following sequence: B, 24R, 1L, 9R, 1L, 14R, 1L, 1R, 1L
In Attract mode, press the following sequence: B, 1R, 1L, 2R, 1L, 3R, 1L, 1L

XINA, ABC
I believe that the second one there is supposed to end with a R tho?

Quoted from hAbO:

Star Wars Episode 1
Revenge From Mars
In Attract mode, press the following sequence: B, 1R, 1L, 2R, 1L, 3R, 1L, 1L

ABC

Starting with WPC-95, all codes started with B. This told the game you were doing something special. Then on a flipper(*), enter in the first letter. Hit the opposite to enter that in. Then on the first flipper, second letter. Then other flipper to enter it in. And so on. After the last letter is entered in (x flipper, 1 other flipper), hit the opposite flipper just once to end the input.

I do not know if Pin2K is the same, bot on WPC-95, you can start with EITHER flipper, and end with a single press on the opposite. So, for example, on CV, you could enter:
B, 14R, 1L, 5R, 1L, 15R, 1L, 14R, 1L, 1R. ... OR
B, 14L, 1R, 5L, 1R, 15L, 1R, 14L, 1R, 1L.

You have to be somewhat quick and consistent with the flipper presses.

This mostly useless post is brought to you by caffeine, and being stuck in the airport for hours.

1 month later
#6257 6 months ago

You need a CRT Signal generator. Something like this - http://craftymech.com/arcade-test-pattern-generator/

#6273 6 months ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Some are pretty decent but nothing beats the contrast level of a tube.

OLED panel will. IF I ever had a RFM, and wanted to/had to upgrade my CRT, I'd limit myself to an OLED screen.

#6280 6 months ago
Quoted from Suteiben:

What size and resolution would you need an OLED screen? (the crt and in what resolution)

Quoted from Zitt:

I'm not sure we'll ever see an OLED panel in 4x3 ratio which fits these games.
They are all wide aspect ratios suitable for TVs and movies and what not.
Love to be wrong tho.

In theory, if you got one with the same height, but wider, you could 'letterbox' the signal (for example, using an OSSC or other upscaler). Just shot-gunning here, tho.

However, yes - the lack of 4:3 screens these days is utterly devastating for us arcade/coin-op guys.

#6288 5 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

My only educated guess is that OLED would be your closest option in that department.

OLED actually has a better contrast ration than CRT - when it's 'black', that pixel is completely off - not emitting ANY light. No backlight, so like LCD (or "LED") monitors, there's no bleedthrough.

However, finding one that will fit, is the issue. There used to be a company that would custom-cut an OLED panel to whatever size you specified, but then you'd need to work out a driver for it and all. Not an easy task.

#6311 5 months ago
Quoted from mappy24:

OK, so I've owned this game for a couple of days now and I've got a question!
The popper in the stroke of luck hole seems wildly inconsistent with the direction that it ejects the ball, it can sometimtes go straight down the middle or way over towards the left or right slingshots, it's different every time. A youtube video I've just watched shows the ball consistently being delivered to the top of the left flipper.
Are there any adjustments I can make?

Make sure coil stop, and coil bracket are tight and holding the coil securely. That the whole coil frame is tight on the playfield and can't shift side to side. Check the plunger/kicker end, and make sure it's clean and straight, and there's not chunks missing from it, etc.

3 months later
#6546 85 days ago
Quoted from Zee:

I know that in MAME there are different video filters to make an LCD look like a CRT (scanlines, selective convolution matrices, etc); but I don't know if such a thing can be implemented in the RFM video pipeline. Would be cool if it's possible...

Pipe it through a processor, like an OSSC, and you can get that. The delay/lag added should not be noticeable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 85.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.