VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2093 Wells Gardner K700 troubleshooting flow chart Posted by snakesnsparklers (5 years ago)

Post #2187 Links to updating the game code using windows 7 Posted by ForceFlow (5 years ago)

Post #2295 Adding the missing slingshot spotlights Posted by Lhyrgoif (5 years ago)

Post #2312 Version 2.0 custom code announcement Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2348 Updating Pinbox systems with "Mypinballs" newer code Posted by applejuice (5 years ago)

Post #2824 CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars Posted by Sonic (4 years ago)

Post #6222 Code improvements identified. Posted by harig (4 months ago)

Post #6265 Link to Nucore forum. Posted by Rene368 (4 months ago)

Post #6283 LCD advice. Posted by rygar (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2169 5 years ago

Officially joined the club! Been hoping for one for quite awhile. I've only played like 3 games on it and need to clean it up and get acquainted with it. So far the mods i've seen are leds, the tv brightness booster, led saucer lights, adding extra martians, "attack!" Flipper artword, 3d translight, alien target stickers, led lights in martians eyes, and green edge trim instead of red.

I wount be able to afford all of them, so going for the best bang/wow for the buck.

New rubbers: any that are better than others? Was going to just go with black from marcos or something.

I need to get a saucer because I'm missing mine so i thought about doing the led ones, but 180 bucks seems awfully steep.

3d translite: anyone have it? Thoughts?

Adding extra martians: do they move as well, or are they stationary?

Crt brightness kit: amazing, or should i just save my $ for and lcd for when the CRt quits?

Leds: do they mess with the reflection on the glass?

I have new playfield glass and i want to keep it clean and pristine, just making sure windex is a ok to use on both sides.

Playfield needs some touch up and supposedly there's a cliffy for the drop hole to the right of the center shot. Anyone have experience with it?

I'll be reading up on bullet proofing the pc, but so far the fan and everything works and i haven't noticed any burn in with the monitor. I might just add an extra fan with a separate power supply just as a back up.

1 week later
#2174 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've found about 7 switches that need to be replaced so far (all are the outlane rollover type switches). So thats on my shopping list. I used painters tape to cover the gap in the center shot to stop some light bleed through when the back GI kicks on. Makes a noticeable difference.

Does anyone know where I can find info on version 1.8 and 1.9 of the unofficial code updates? I read somewhere it has some early animation added to it, but couldn't find any details. If its all just related to the tournament play its not something I'd use, but would be nice to know if there's a version that has all the available gameplay features and animations. If its known how they programmed the game, it would be a fun project to add more animations and callouts. I'd be totally game for adding some stuff!

I've decided I'm not going to convert it all to LEDs, thinking about replacing just some of the insert bulbs. Not sure if that would look wierd when its flashing and running the lights. I noticed on my Hook game, the row I replaced with LEDs pulsates quicker than the traditional filament bulbs.

I'm on the hunt to make some custom aluminum/metal saucers and maybe learn how to do some 3d printing. It looks like the red ramp its mounted on makes flame shapes, so thinking I'd do like a smoke and flame combo under the saucers.

If anyone has cool ideas for 3d landscaped plastics let me know, I think this game has a lot of potential to do some fun 3d mods to really add to the vibe of the game!

#2180 5 years ago

Welcome to the club!

#2182 5 years ago

So let's talk about the code updates! Apparently there's a couple of versions out there. From my understanding, version 1.4 is the last update that had game related changes, 1.5 and 1.6 was stability and coin operator relevant changes. There were also some changes made to allow tournement play and high score uploading over the Internet, however, correct me if I'm wrong, it is no longer active. Now I guess there is a version 1.8 and 1.9 that was unofficially released, but I don't know when, where or how or what is on those. Supposedly some version has some extra animations and callouts, but I don't know which version nor how much extra content was added and if it made a perceptable or appreciative difference to players.

I heard the easiest way to upgrade is a PUB card. Rob Anthony has v 1.6 available for use at Lock When Lit. PUB cards just go into one of the computer slots and auto updates the code. Take it out and you are ready to go. I guess PUB cards themselves are expensive and I don't know how to add the code to it.

So, here's my question to the gang. Does anyone know what v1.8 and 1.9 have on them? If there is a reason to upgrade from 1.6 to 1.9, does anyone know where and how to put the code on a PUB card? I thought we could make a traveling card that we could mail to each other (or maybe at least get the code to Rob) so people could get the latest version. Let me know if you are knowledgeable or able to help with this if folks are interested.

If someone happens to have v1.9 and they are willing to Fed Ex it to me, I would be super grateful. I'd install it that day and send it back the next day. I can give you my librarian and old video rental store manager as a reference that I return things on time (and rewound!). =p

#2184 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I found the serial cable update to be the easiest. It doesn't really require special hardware... I had a Null serial cable in my cable box.
That said; I understand why PUB cards are considered easier because you don't have to setup a WinXP box.

Do you know if v 1.8 or 1.9 are available to update via null serial cable?

#2188 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info. I gurss i shouls clarify about the updating. I know we can download v1.6 and get it on a pub card or upload it ourselves to the game, but does anyone know where to get v1.8 or 1.9 other than a PUB card? Can we copy ot off a pub card or from a machine that has it installed? Do we know what cganges are all on those updates?

#2192 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

I can provide game version >1.6 but there are some changes you may don't need or want.
In 1.9 you don't need to upgrade the system RAM which you need in 1.8...
Also you will get the tributes to Joe Dillon back.
And as you mentioned the "new callouts and Animations" are implemented...
And of course the online tournament server is still runing

Great! Has there been any stability issues or performance issues related to 1.9? Out of curiosity, what changes were made between 1.8 and 1.9 that returned the program to needing only its stock RAM?

#2195 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

What I forgot to say, it isn't possible to add complete new images + animations! The RFM prism space is nearly 99,5% full.
Big changes can't be proceded because of missing rom/flash space.
Because of that the languages french and spain are deleted in 1.9

Ahh, so would Nuocore and pinbox machines be able to have an expanded game with new animations and sounds added on to the existing code?

And just to clarify, 1.8 and 1.9 do have additional animations and callouts that version 1.6 does not contain?

3 months later
#2412 5 years ago

Man, super excited for these updates. Mine needs some work yet, but Of you are doing hardware mods to coincide withe software updates, might want to count me in too dince I have some soldering do do anyway!

4 months later
#2831 4 years ago

Man, so excited about all the updates!
Are sound files easy to add? Was thinkning if memory wasnt any issue and not too much of a hassle we could add some more callouts and have a setting for which president you want: Clinton, Bush, Obama, or Trump. Would be cool to keep it current. Thank you for all the software (and now hardware!) work!

#2856 4 years ago

Anyone have experience with Cointaker's Red Tremor shaker motor? I've never played a pin Before with a shaker and thought maybe this one for the new update. Some concerns people had is it shakes too much and could blow a node on the spike system. Since its SAM compatible should be good for RFM right? I heard it can really rattle a machine but you can buy a cheap adjester to tone it down. What shaker fo you think would have the most appropriate feel and fit for RFM?

#2874 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Midnight Madness mode creation underway. graphics work and testing. Creating the classic mode in pinball 2000 technicolour!

I had to google midnight madness...oh man, that is AWESOME! The Mrs. & I already determined midnight will be 9 pm at our house, otherwise we wont see that mode for years!

3 months later
#3211 4 years ago

Anyone know of where i could find or what to use as a round dome top for the saucers? Was going to peruse Target and Walmart's cosmetic aisles to see if any make up products have a plastic top i could use. I haven't done any 3d modeling before, but was thinking of maybe trying to make a saucer look like the ones on the translite. Otherwise i might just try out some chrome spraypaint on mine as a trial. I'm hoping to get led saucers from applejuice if he's doing another batch. I like the idea of a basic metal saucer more than the stock design.

Also, toying with the idea of getting these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N671543/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2 and putting and orange led as the missile engine and maybe running it along the shooter lane and have them flash with those red lights... my plastic with the missiles is cracked, so thought maybe that would cover it up. Just don't want to make it look cluttered or tacky looking with pointless stuff...

3 weeks later
#3262 4 years ago

Brilliant!

1 month later
#3406 4 years ago

Hey applejuice here's 3 modes my wife and I thought would be fun.

Countdown: instead of time based, you get "x"amount of times to press the flipper buttons to get as many points as possible. So say 10 flips on each flipper. If you use up all 10 on the right flipper it's dead and then you use the remaining flips on the left flipper until thats dead or the ball drains, whichever comes first.

Sharpshooter Martian Pindarts: use your awesome light programming skills to have a target flash. You get a bullseye if you hit it. You lose points if you hit another target first. The further away the target is from your shot that you miss, the more points you lose. So you could have awards, like the Sharpe Shooter award if you get 3 bulls eyes in a row without missing. Have the targets randomly cycle and stop to keep it challenging. A ramp, then the next one is the side middle Martian in the right bank of Martian targets, etc. You could even use the action buttons, the player "catches" the ball on their flipper and presses the action button to start and stop the cycling once they are ready. (Adds like a fun skill shot challenge stopping the light where you would ideally like it based on which flipper you have the ball stopped on!).

Martian Hangman/wheel of fortune: The game hangman/wheel of fortune, you guess a letter to the word every time you got up the ramp (it holds the ball while you make your guess). You drain the ball player 2 gets to try to solve the word (using the high score initial entry to save on the memory usage).

Added over 4 years ago:

For hangman it would be the center ramp you aim for.

4 months later
#3625 3 years ago

I put black painters tape in the gap of the metal to stop light bleed through. Its worked really well preventing areas of the display from being washed out.

1 week later
#3651 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

have some more ideas on how to possibly save valuable flash ram space for old machines on future updates.

Ooh! I love it everytime you have ideas!

#3681 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Deliberately bricked an update to make it unusable

So glad you aren't selling a bricked RFM! Whoever nurtured your knowledge in coding would be proud man! Congrats on an amazing achievement!

1 week later
#3718 3 years ago

Having the pinbox option sounds great. I still have the original computer, but it sounds like a great way to future proof updates as the game ages and people may need to switch to pinbox. This is awesome man!

2 weeks later
#3799 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Update on the new pinball 2000 update app.

Wow!

1 month later
#3881 3 years ago

I vote enable/disable for features whenever possible (if it isn't too much of a headache or valuable memory space).

I agree on extra ball shots. Points is great, but it would be a great addition for some sort get "x" then hit "y" for extra ball.

I guess i didn't realize the coins in secret weapon were supposed to disappear. By that time Im just excited i made it that far and might make two or three more levels!

6 months later
#4298 3 years ago

Do RFM and AFM share the same audio call outs?

4 months later
#4636 2 years ago

If I recall correctly, the dimensions were determined by shipping costs/restrictions. I get the notion the game "feels"/looks smaller, but for shots and immersion the game is far from lacking. I do wish the translite/backbox was bigger though.

2 weeks later
#4670 2 years ago

Anyone here have a SWE1 playfield? Just curious how often you swap it out. Do you feel like you wish you had it's own SWE1 cabinet so your could play both games easily or do you like the saving floor space and swapping? Is SWE1 fun enough on its merits, or does it dilute the appeal of RFM because it uses some similar shots and the pepper's ghost effect? Do you feel like coding changes, similar to what applejuice has done with RFM would significantly improve the appeal of the game?

#4677 2 years ago

Great, thanks for the input!

2 weeks later
#4702 2 years ago

Was all excited to finally start working on updating RFM and now the game is out of order... sounds like the crt monitor keeps trying to fire up. I get static on the screen, no image, game plays blind, so gonna see if it plays with a vga cable. Odd, everything seemed fine last time I played, monitor was nice bright and crisp. Hopefully a quick fix.

#4703 2 years ago
Quoted from SpaceWar:

Hello all, ok, I waited long enough and now they're all gone.
Anyone out there have a spare 3D lenticular Revenge From Mars translight I could buy from you? They were produced by Planetary Pinball.
Thanks in advance.
Tom

Look abroad, try German and French online stores, maybe they have one in stock. I got mine from . Looks really really nice.

#4706 2 years ago
#4713 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I wanted to notify ya'll of immediate availability of Chrome RFM (AFM?) Saucers here in North America. I have limited quantities available for immediate shipment; it's unclear at this time if there is enough interested to continue to stock them.
[quoted image]
These are not metal parts; but are plastics saucers chromed in whatever method is used to create "chromed plastic".
They are available as just the saucer or with a new twist flasher dome. I'm guessing most would just want to use the existing dome they have; but if you want new; that is an option as well.
These are imports from Pinball.Center.
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/small-saucer-p-78.html from 23.24

I got 3 of these from Zitt a couple of weeks ago, they look real nice. (Thanks zitt!) He was great to buy from. FYI, if you were to try to buy them from Pinball Center you'd need someone to import it to you as they don't ship to the US, so it's really great that Zitt has these!

2 months later
#4861 2 years ago

Oh man, those look cool! Can you do a video of them with the glass off? It looks like they have an orbit or something, really cool! The motor ones I saw that aren't available anymore just spun, but yours look like they full on hover!

#4866 2 years ago

Awesome! Thank you for the videos and diagram! Ingenious!

#4872 2 years ago

Okay, I had about 15 minutes to check out my monitor situation. A couple of months ago the image went out (nothing seemed odd prior to that, bright, crisp image, WG 6534744 crt monitor). You can play the game fine blind. It sounded like the monitor was trying to fire up every few seconds.

A few days later turned it on and for a brief moment I had an image, then nothing again. So I pulled the machine out and checked the vga cable to the computer and looked at the crt, looked fine. Fired it up, same thing, couldn't tell if there was static because there was smoke drifting up off the board that connects to the neck of the tube.

I pulled the monitor out and tried hooking up a 4:3 lcd monitor. I got a video input error saying image was out of range. So I swapped out for a newer wide screen monitor and the screen flashes black, white and color bars. I thought at least one of the monitors would auto sync to the signal. Is there a way to test the signal without buying the converter board to go from cga to vga? I plan on getting the monitor fixed, if that's the issue, but the turnaround time is around 2 months and would hate that the smoke was just a stink bug getting its just desserts... =p

The game still boots up fine, how should I rule out a bad video card? Both fans on the computer work (the one leading out of the case and the one on the motherboard), the battery on the motherboard looks good and expires 2023. I've attached a few pics if ya'll see something glaringly wrong.

20210921_155423 (resized).jpg20210921_155423 (resized).jpg20210921_162708 (resized).jpg20210921_162708 (resized).jpg20210921_162648 (resized).jpg20210921_162648 (resized).jpg
#4874 2 years ago
Quoted from erikie:

Pull out the prism card and book up vga monitor. You should het normal text screen in vga.

Thank u!

1 week later
#4898 2 years ago

I am a-ok with 2 tiers of rfm mars versions. 4mb and 8mb. Put me on the 8mb list!

#4903 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Everything I’ve done update wise up and til now has been done to make sure no one was left behind. Of course ditching original hardware and just making updates for pinbox etc would have been a lot less of a headache, but that would have caused much upset so I stuck with original compatibility.
Going forward I’m not sure what the best option is. I know I’m going to get alot of messages if I move away from stock prism cards.

Well, when you've felt like you've hit the limit with stock hardware or have a great idea that can only be done outside the constraints of the original card, I say let the ideas flow! I personally try to keep things stock as long as I can, but I'm guessing at some point I'll have to do something other then the original hardware as parts and knowledge of the old stuff isn't as common. I would probably prefer to update my prism card 1st than to switch to pinbox, but I have very little knowledge on the workings and pros and cons of pinbox. If there were additional software advancements for the game only available to pinbox and the like, I'd probably make the switch when the time comes for my equipment to be repaired or possibly sooner, depending what is added in the new code.

Just love that this game keeps getting better and having more features 20+ years later! Thank you applejuice !

2 weeks later
#4961 2 years ago

My game is out of order for a month or so until my monitor gets fixed. If anyone wants me to mail them my prism card to get upgraded let me know! I'll gladly pay and be a guinea pig!

3 weeks later
#4985 2 years ago

Okay, my crt monitor went out a couple months ago. I thought the monitor was in pretty good condition before it went. I had purchased the video amplifier but didn't install it. Swapped out with an lcd monitor on Thursday and man, it looks great. I think I'll get my crt repaired, but this is the brightest and crispest image I've seen on an rfm. My only thing is I used a 19 inch monitor, but I think a 20 inch monitor would align the images to the ramps a little better. I'm sold on lcd conversion even though I'm more of a "purest" by nature.

1 month later
#4999 2 years ago

Super excited for the update! Still trying to figure out how to do the update, I think maybe it's a bad cord. I shouldn't need to switch anything around on the motherboard right? Mine is still running the original first version from the factory.

2 weeks later
#5011 2 years ago

Hmm, I've personally not had a hard time seeing the ball, but I do get its a darker playfield that most games (especially decked out led ones). I wonder if a glow ball would work or colored balls https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-glo-balls?variant=1300538840 just try to keep the top half as dark as possible. I'm a light bleed fanatic on kine. I took black painters tape to the gap on the platform you launch onto from the center shot. Really made a difference. When I get fixing and doing all the updates I plan on really getting every last stray photon blocked from emitting towards the back playfield.

10 months later
#5648 1 year ago

In my younger days I could never understand how someone would sell something brand new in a box at a rummage sale for a car, house, electronics, some other project. In my head I was like you bought this for a specific thing, just install it. Now I'm older with responsibilities and I'm like, "oh, now I get it. "

#5649 1 year ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Ha, me too, I have all the parts, just not installed it yet. Winter project, let’s do this!

Honestly, do you know what would be fun? If we scheduled a group project over video chat, so we all do it together! We can trouble shoot, curse and celebrate together when we all get it going. I'm seriously game for something like that!

8 months later
#6138 7 months ago

I just had my crt rebuilt. I think it was between 150 and 250 bucks. If yours is working fine and sometime it the monitors life had something refreshed I would go between 150 and 250.

Mine isn't installed and has no burn in... I don't want to put it in because people walk away and leave it in the middle of a game. I don't want burn in and my lcd is working fine as is... wish there was a screen saver feature!

4 months later
#6421 3 months ago

I haven't played in awhile, is re-light ball save/kickback an option?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shelbyville, IN
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this?tu=bobwiley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.