IMG_2225 (resized).JPG
InShot_20240217_034302200 (resized).jpg
20240215_192804 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240210_130413_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20240130_080728 (resized).jpg
20240130_080725 (resized).jpg
IMG_8470 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 134.
#4301 3 years ago

Fully Shopped out my RFM today, finally installed Applejuices Saucer led mod, Titan, etc etc etc.

No its not really that red, You cant take a pic of this thing without it looking like that.

Tomorrow I will swap out the CRT for the LCD I've had sitting around for awhile.

Then sadly I think its going up for Sale. I enjoy playing it.. but it seems no one else does. Bummer.

PXL_20210103_173156651 (resized).jpgPXL_20210103_173156651 (resized).jpgPXL_20210104_013321085 (resized).jpgPXL_20210104_013321085 (resized).jpgPXL_20210104_015802259 (resized).jpgPXL_20210104_015802259 (resized).jpg
#4302 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

Fully Shopped out my RFM today, finally installed Applejuices Saucer led mod, Titan, etc etc etc.
No its not really that red, You cant take a pic of this thing without it looking like that.
Tomorrow I will swap out the CRT for the LCD I've had sitting around for awhile.
Then sadly I think its going up for Sale. I enjoy playing it.. but it seems no one else does. Bummer.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Shopped mine out a few weeks ago. So bright and fast now. I've beaten it 3 times since the shop out. Only beat it once before since I had bought it in May. Kinda takes the fun out actually. I know I can change some settings to make it more difficult but then my gf will have a harder time enjoying it.

My strategy when I want to kick it's ass is start with Martian Happy Hour. Get that damn reversed flipper mode out of the way from the start.

#4303 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Shopped mine out a few weeks ago. So bright and fast now. I've beaten it 3 times since the shop out. Only beat it once before since I had bought it in May. Kinda takes the fun out actually. I know I can change some settings to make it more difficult but then my gf will have a harder time enjoying it.
My strategy when I want to kick it's ass is start with Martian Happy Hour. Get that damn reversed flipper mode out of the way from the start.

You do realise drunk flippers is a settings option and not a permanent change yes??

#4304 3 years ago

Drunken flippers is the best part of the update - breaks my brain every time I switch into and back out of that mode.

#4305 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Wow that’s impressive. I think this is a really hard game. I’ve had mine on easy mode for 3 months now and not one of the 3 players in the house have gone past 150 million

#4306 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

You do realise drunk flippers is a settings option and not a permanent change yes??

LOL yes... My gf hates drunk flippers and I’ve offered to turn them off but she is stubborn and wants to master it.

#4307 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Wow that’s impressive. I think this is a really hard game. I’ve had mine on easy mode for 3 months now and not one of the 3 players in the house have gone past 150 million

Let me state that on all my games I set 4 levels of replay(auto-adjusting), replays and specials award extra balls, no limit (or max available) on extra balls.

However I can’t seem to beat the 300m minimum score for Attack Mars.

#4308 3 years ago

Holy shitballs does the LCD make a difference.

Now I dont want to sell.

Old vs. New

89e2d29f17749c47804532f071525dddb6603e7e (resized).jpg89e2d29f17749c47804532f071525dddb6603e7e (resized).jpgPXL_20210105_012056575 (resized).jpgPXL_20210105_012056575 (resized).jpg
#4309 3 years ago

Wise choice

#4310 3 years ago

I got the same results with adding a video amplifier to my crt monitor. Makes a *huge* difference in the feel of the game when everything is bright and crisp.

#4311 3 years ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

I got the same results with adding a video amplifier to my crt monitor. Makes a *huge* difference in the feel of the game when everything is bright and crisp.

Same.. And we don't have a grey monitor outline reflection to stare at all the time

#4312 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Same.. And we don't have a grey monitor outline reflection to stare at all the time

22" LED fills in the entire space with nothing but screen to see and has a 4:3 aspect ratio option in the settings. $99. Just FYI.

#4313 3 years ago

Selling my Nucore setup, decided to go back to original. $400 if anyone is looking for one

#4314 3 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

Selling my Nucore setup, decided to go back to original. $400 if anyone is looking for one

May I ask what made you decide to do that? I just converted mine to Nucore and I find the videos and animations play so much smoother and faster now and without compression artifacts. I just find it looks way better. Wondering if I missed something....

I do have an issue about once every 10 times I turn on the machine the video won’t come up. Off & on and then it’s good. Pretty sure it’s an ArcadeVGA issue in my case.

#4315 3 years ago

I bought the nucore to replace my original computer, my computer still works but it sometimes takes a few switches of the power button to fire up. I have the bill ung saucer mod which is already wired to my RFM playfield that I found is not compatible with the nucore setup and I have the SWE1 kit with the daughterboard and the separator tool that works fine. No need to not use my working hardware at this time so rather than sit on the Nucore set up I figure someone else might be able to use it.

#4316 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I bought a 24in OAN. Fills it nicely, with zero outline. Plug n play.

Only "slight" might be the bit of black construction paper needed to fill the top gap.

#4317 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

I bought a 24in OAN. Fills it nicely, with zero outline. Plug n play.
Only "slight" might be the bit of black construction paper needed to fill the top gap.

Do you know the model # of the 24in monitor you decided to use?

Thanks,
Steve

#4318 3 years ago

I’ve got a fluorescent light question. Mine flickers, sometimes take a minute or two to come on. I replaced the bulb with no change. Does that sound like the ballast? Not even sure where that is, when I look at ballasts at the hw store there isn’t anything that looks like that anywhere

#4319 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I’ve got a fluorescent light question. Mine flickers, sometimes take a minute or two to come on. I replaced the bulb with no change. Does that sound like the ballast? Not even sure where that is, when I look at ballasts at the hw store there isn’t anything that looks like that anywhere

Sounds like you need a starter, a small silver can the shape of a spool. They usually push and twist in and out. I know nothing game specific but flourescents in general.

#4320 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Sounds like you need a starter, a small silver can the shape of a spool. They usually push and twist in and out. I know nothing game specific but flourescents in general.

These can be found at any hardware store, too. Check which type is already in there and buy a replacement, probably FS-2.

#4321 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Put up a link to the flyback transformers used in Duckscan and the Well garner monitor chassis.
If those links point to an actual manufacture that doesn't do it out of his garage; then I will eat my words.
If they aren't available in high volume outlets; then you just proved my point.
Other than that; I do agree "in general terms" with your statements.
That said CRT screens are on life support; and they are on Do Not Resuscitate orders. If you disagree; well... then you aren't paying attention.

Someone beat me to the punch, but why would you bother with a Ducksan (or Duckshit, as some call it) monitor when you can sub in a Wells or Electrohome?

And, while I said "respectfully", your reply really wasn't or you didn't bother to actually read my reply which was:

"Respectfully, flybacks are not unobtanium. They aren't easy to get, but they are out there." If they were available at high volume outlets, then it would be EASY to get. It didn't prove your point, it just underlined you didn't understand mine. Go on Greedbay. Spend a couple of weeks looking and you will pull a flyback for most Wells or Electrohomes, if you can't find it with a Google search. I just did one and found flybacks for GO-7's and WG 46xx and other 19" WG CRT models. Not hard. Go do the work yourself.

#4322 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Sharing little info on things added to the next update v2.23, which is in the works at the mo but not yet released. Possibly an early 2021 release for it
----------------------
v2.23 RFM Update (Working In Progress ONLY)
Power Drain - fixed a minor issue where the feature may still run at the end of multiball if it was queued up previously. Ie it wasn’t been canceled cleanly
Mothership - is now trough aware and will launch 1 - the max number of trough balls at mode start. i.e 3 or 5.
Alien Abduction - added more speech, some adult!
Attract - added More Speech to flipper button presses
Paris in Peril - Added more Speech
End of Ball - Added More Speech
Ball Save - Added mMore Speech
Secret Weapon - Added more Speech
Right Popper (Stroke of Luck) - Improved logic to fix a bug where a payback time award would conflict with a lit martian attack mode and result in no ball being kicked out for the payback time duration
Stroke Of Luck - Added new award - ‘Odd Change’
Stroke Of Luck - Added new award - ’10% Player Score’
Stroke of Luck - Improved Collect Bonus Integration. End of Ball Graphics now play when awarded aswell as receiving the score calculated
----------------------
I am also thinking about a new party mode that has popped into my head whilst relaxing over the xmas break.
I would like to hear peoples thoughts on it.
This would be a new Party Mode option added to the list of party modes and would be only for games where there are multiple players started.
The titled of it would be 'Score War' and the the Stroke of Luck shot would be changed to only give out either fixed point reduction for all other players or a percentage decrease of their scores. Everything else would be the same and the SOL would be lit & collected in the same way. Could be a fun option to play with your friends (if you know each other well!!)
Let me know what you think anyway.

Guessing this has been suggested but anyway to track high scores for each mode? Much like any of the new games.

#4323 3 years ago

Would also be cool to "turn off" drunken flippers by shooting into the scoop or achieving something else during the bar scene

#4324 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Would also be cool to "turn off" drunken flippers by shooting into the scoop or achieving something else during the bar scene

Wow that would be so confusing. Already confusing enough to have them reversed but then have them switch while playing would be bad I think. You could just turn them off in the settings and be done with it.

It's already massively confusing if you start Martian multiball during Martian Happy Hour. The flippers revert back to normal during the multiball, then go back to reversed without warning once you are down to 1 ball.

#4325 3 years ago

Not without warning - think of it as a bonus. you have drunken flippers, then you get drunken-flippers multi-ball (which is crazy), but then if you can get lucky with a scoop shot, you can turn off drunken flippers for the rest of the level.

whatever - just a suggestion. I'm very happy with the game and the updated applejuice code

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4326 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Wow that would be so confusing. Already confusing enough to have them reversed but then have them switch while playing would be bad I think. You could just turn them off in the settings and be done with it.
It's already massively confusing if you start Martian multiball during Martian Happy Hour. The flippers revert back to normal during the multiball, then go back to reversed without warning once you are down to 1 ball.

Well, that was what people asked for and so received... I’m still deciding if this change is staying or not. there are some graphics screen announcements and grace periods for the changes that didn’t work as I wanted in 2.22 which will be fixed in future along with a short ball save when returning to drunk happy hour after a multiball round

Always remember drunk flippers are just a setting to add variety, nothing more.

#4327 3 years ago

Definitely love drunk flippers. It's unique and challenging and fun, especially for non-pinheads

#4328 3 years ago

it is only tangentally related but in case people haven't heard, there is a video game almost exactly the same as RVM. Called "Destroy All Humans" except you play from the aliens point of view...it even features "ALIEN ABDUCTION" ...lol

#4329 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I pulled the ballast and starter on mine and rewired for direct LED. Fluorescent bulbs are what ruin the translites.
Less heat and a lot less UV emissions.

#4330 3 years ago

Please explain drunk flippers to me, I currently have the setting off.

#4331 3 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Please explain drunk flippers to me, I currently have the setting off.

Added in Update v2.20. When enabled it reverses the flippers for the duration of the happy hour mode. It was added mainly for when playing with friends as an extra challenge. There are also certain 'Party Mode' settings which apply across the entire game to and change how the flippers operate.

#4332 3 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Do RFM and AFM share the same audio call outs?

Completely different call outs and sounds.

#4333 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

When enabled it reverses the flippers for the duration of the happy hour mode.

I having installed a later version yet...
Does happy hour start during that mode... or do you have to hit a specific number of shots/drinks?

#4334 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I having installed a later version yet...
Does happy hour start during that mode... or do you have to hit a specific number of shots/drinks?

Martian Happy Hour is the name of the mode. The flippers are reversed the whole time during that mode if enabled in the settings.

#4335 3 years ago

Does anyone have the VGA breakout cable from a Cyrix 586 GXM-AV motherboard? (see pic)

I bought a replacement motherboard from someone, but it didn't come with the cable, and my original motherboard had a different kind. I looked for the pinout in the manual, but it's not there.

Perhaps someone has a busted motherboard and would sell me the cable? Worst case, perhaps someone has a nice high-res photo of the back of their cable pcb I can use to figure out the pinout and make my own?

vga (resized).jpgvga (resized).jpg
#4336 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Does anyone have the VGA breakout cable from a Cyrix 586 GXM-AV motherboard? (see pic)
I bought a replacement motherboard from someone, but it didn't come with the cable, and my original motherboard had a different kind. I looked for the pinout in the manual, but it's not there.
Perhaps someone has a busted motherboard and would sell me the cable? Worst case, perhaps someone has a nice high-res photo of the back of their cable pcb I can use to figure out the pinout and make my own?
[quoted image]

Not sure it’s the right version bit here goes.

0DFDEFAF-2936-419C-B060-C35CDCA73EE2 (resized).jpeg0DFDEFAF-2936-419C-B060-C35CDCA73EE2 (resized).jpeg33728B35-6746-4264-AD00-ED4D1308D9B1 (resized).jpeg33728B35-6746-4264-AD00-ED4D1308D9B1 (resized).jpeg
#4337 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Not sure it’s the right version bit here goes.[quoted image][quoted image]

Unfortunately, that's not the right one.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Anybody else?

#4338 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Unfortunately, that's not the right one.
Thanks for taking the time to post!
Anybody else?

I can help you with this. I have a pdf document that maps all 3 different cga riser card pinouts. the one you have is a rare ish one not used much.

PM me with your email address and i'll send it over

Jim

#4339 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

[quoted image]

I have this, but it's part of bundle at the moment.

#4340 3 years ago

applejuice hooked me up with one, thanks everyone!

#4341 3 years ago

Hi Everyone, I was hoping y'all could help me with a possible mechanical problem that just popped up on a cab I sold. I just delivered my RFM to its new home yesterday. While there and during game play the post that holds the ball in between scenes under the left ramp would not disengage without the flippers being hit.

I don't recall this in my time owning this cab or others. Then again, I tend to hit my flippers a lot more than the new owner so it may be because of my style of play versus his. Does anyone have any ideas? Seems like it could be the optos, but the fact it comes down when flipper button is depressed seems almost like it is by design.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#4342 3 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Hi Everyone, I was hoping y'all could help me with a possible mechanical problem that just popped up and a cab I sold. I just delivered my RFM to its new home yesterday. While there and during game play the post that holds the ball in between scenes under the left ramp would not disengage without the flippers being hit.
I don't recall this in my time owning this cab or others. Then again, I tend to hit my flippers a lot more than the new owner so it may be because of my style of play versus his. Does anyone have any ideas? Seems like it could be the optos, but the fact it comes down when flipper button is depressed seems almost like it is by design.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The post/plunger is magnetized. Owner can either:
- Live with it and hit the flippers to release the ball
- Replace plunger with a new one
- Remove the plunger and use a demagnetizer. I just did last week and it works.

#4343 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

The post/plunger is magnetized. Owner can either:
- Live with it and hit the flippers to release the ball
- Replace plunger with a new one
- Remove the plunger and use a demagnetizer. I just did last week and it works.

Thank you. That's very interesting. I just figured it was a normal coil plunger. I guess I need to go and look at the manual for a part number.

Do you think this could have happened during the move? Is there anything I should check for on that coil before buying a new setup?

#4344 3 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Thank you. That's very interesting. I just figured it was a normal coil plunger. I guess I need to go and look at the manual for a part number.
Do you think this could have happened during the move? Is there anything I should check for on that coil before buying a new setup?

It’s a common issue. The jump ramp “sticking” up also happens for the same reason. I demagnetized both and now both work correctly.

It’s a minor annoyance. I wouldn’t replace it. Played mine using flippers to release for months.

#4345 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

It’s a common issue. The jump ramp “sticking” up also happens for the same reason. I demagnetized both and now both work correctly.
It’s a minor annoyance. I wouldn’t replace it. Played mine using flippers to release for months.

Thank you so much fo the information. I really truly appreciate it. I will pass it along.

#4346 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Remove the plunger and use a demagnetizer. I just did last week and it works.

MrMikeman what demagnetizer did you use? I have a similar problem with the pop bumpers on a different pin.

#4347 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

mrmikeman what demagnetizer did you use? I have a similar problem with the pop bumpers on a different pin.

https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3401-0602-Heavy-Demagnetizer-115V-Single/dp/B00N40U4GS/ref=sr_1_1

Not cheap but it certainly did work super well for me. Not sure if would work well for magnetized balls. I may try it for shits and giggles eventually. I just wanted to demagnetize plungers (2 on RFM and 1 on STTNG). Being in Canada it wasn't really a whole lot cheaper to buy new plungers cause we get killed on shipping rates from the US and customs fees at the border. The demagnetizer was free shipping with Amazon with no surprises. And I get to use it again on whatever else needs de be demagnetized

#4348 3 years ago

Thanks. Definitely pricier than I expected but maybe it’s worth it. This is an expensive hobby!

#4349 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Thanks. Definitely pricier than I expected but maybe it’s worth it. This is an expensive hobby!

Yeah I’m at the point where I just buy the right tool for the job. Also bought an air stapler (22 gauge) for pinball restoration. Good for ground braid and other places they used staples.

Yes the hobby is expensive!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 6,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 134.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.