New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 89874)

RFM: "Hillary, come here! You gotta see this!"

By kjm8888

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,169 posts
  • 352 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 960 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_7851 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
b52a6758-7d43-4d80-a5d3-0a3c3dc78d54 (resized).jpg
image0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0081 (resized).jpg
393ED22B-66B4-4E1E-91AC-6B5A9C7D6D02 (resized).jpeg
D597367E-FE6E-4D84-AED5-78CCADF77B5E (resized).jpeg
4924B16B-61A6-4B5B-805C-46598B14963F (resized).jpeg
prism card (resized).png
IMG_0704 (resized).JPG
IMG_0708 (resized).JPG
30823106-3152-4E63-9113-65D9C3E7522B (resized).jpeg
117A33BB-852A-4FD1-8663-76C5D1B33BA2 (resized).jpeg
20200826_185740.jpg
mmit-156f_300x218 (resized).jpg
D07E1899-C7B3-4193-9B58-72D95F314382 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4169 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 84.
#4101 28 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Next to do is remove the CRT monitor from the revenge cabinet and get the LCD monitor mounted and then get it all connected.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you (or anyone else) is looking to get rid of a CRT, I'd love to buy it!

#4102 28 days ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

If you (or anyone else) is looking to get rid of a CRT, I'd love to buy it!

I have the one I just removed from Revenge From Mars. Where are you located?

#4103 28 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I have the one I just removed from Revenge From Mars. Where are you located?

If he doesn't take it, please let me know.

#4104 27 days ago
Quoted from shirkle:

If he doesn't take it, please let me know.

It’s available. No one has made an offer or contacted me about it. Message me if you’re interested.

#4105 24 days ago

So I invited over an actual JPL computer expert to help me try to get the software update working (to 2.21), but we haven't had any luck. I feel like I've got the ethernet cable communicating to NuCore, but are you supposed to be on a particular page on the machine? I just have the RFM game mode running when I try to update, but I can't get the software update option to appear. I've spent days and bought many connections (including those offered by mypinballs, so any help is appreciated.

IMG_0081 (resized).jpg
#4106 23 days ago

When I updated my Pinbox software, I exited to the desktop, opened the file manager, deleted the old files and simply copied the new files to their destination. Is that not an option with NuCore? It's a basic copy and paste as far as I could tell, not sure why an installer app is needed?

#4107 23 days ago

An extremely kind member pm'd me with some instructions to that effect, which I'm going to follow today. I was originally hoping to use the updater as I'd already invested a week trying to make it work (and for future use), but it looks like I'll be going that other route now. Thanks.

#4108 23 days ago
Quoted from PilotPinball:

An extremely kind member pm'd me with some instructions to that effect, which I'm going to follow today. I was originally hoping to use the updater as I'd already invested a week trying to make it work (and for future use), but it looks like I'll be going that other route now. Thanks.

Did you check the ip address the computer assigned itself when the crossover lead was plugged in and set the updater apps address accordingly? Also did you set your account details correctly for pinbox/nucore use in the preferences window for the app and pinbox section? This software is early days so there are likely going to be updates to fix various niggles which are all free.

Please remember pinbox/nucore was never meant to be updated at all unlike original computer system and i do have manual instructions on my site for updating should you want to here:

https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/update_help.jsp

The screen image you shared shows that the computer isnt connected as the status window is blank.

#4109 23 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

When I updated my Pinbox software, I exited to the desktop, opened the file manager, deleted the old files and simply copied the new files to their destination. Is that not an option with NuCore? It's a basic copy and paste as far as I could tell, not sure why an installer app is needed?

Well, because i was writing a new update application for original hardware i thought it would be nice not to leave out all the pinbox and nucore users even though nucore and pinbox were never meant to be updated and you should be stuck on v1.5 really. To be honest its proving difficult to get working across systems because of windows ssh issues, but i'll stick with it and refine it as i have time. Any updates for users will of course be free

Manual update processes for nucore/pinbox are already on my site here

https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/update_help.jsp

but the idea of the application is you dont need to use a screen and keyboard plugged into the pinbox computer, its all remote. like it should be.

#4110 23 days ago

Success! Performed manually with the help of an actual rocket scientist. Thanks all!

image0 (resized).jpeg
#4111 22 days ago

Noob question. My rvm hasn’t arrived yet. Is the computer inside a standard pc? If it breaks I can get a new one at frys or is it a custom “gotta repair it or else” machine?

#4112 22 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

custom “gotta repair it or else” machine?

custom. It's a baby AT but based upon AMD GFX processor.
A standard PC is doable; but only in NuCore config.

#4113 21 days ago

v2.22 is now out. Download at https://mypinballs.com

Update notes are:

v2.22 RFM Update

System - Reverted to original v1.5 Sound File
Scene - Fixed an issue where the ball save was broken for scene endings. Where the ball drains and is not held by the up post as the scene end runs.
Hurry Up - Improved graphics interaction with scene manager, especially at end of scenes where a hurry up is still running.
Hurry up - Now gets stopped when the scene ends if its not been collected and is still running
Happy Hr - regular flippers are now restored if a multi-ball mode runs during this mode, pausing the happy hr mode
Happy Hr - Drunk flippers are resumed once any higher priority mode has finished (multi ball) modes. Possibly makes the games alittle more tricky, so player need to be alert!
Happy Hr - Added new graphics and speech calls to tell players about normal flippers if changing from drunk and vise versa
Attract - Fixed a few missing lamps from the std twinkle effect
Power Drain - New Feature! Inspired from Dialed In. During Martian Attack Multiball certain shots must be completed in time otherwise the big martian will attack your flippers for a short period!!
System - 6 ball trough now recognised once extra hardware installed
Midnight Madness - Updates to support multiple sizes of troughs
Capture Multiball - add a ball now supports multiple sizes of troughs

XINA 1.34
System - Added new additional baud speeds new updater software program
Hidden Images - Removed some old images to make more flash ram space for game code updates and allow original computer systems to still receive the latest code updates

Now starting work on v2.23...

#4114 21 days ago

v1.0.3 of the Pin2k Updater Application is also out now. Download from https://www.mypinballs.com/software/pinball2000/software_updater.jsp

A few more improvements and bugs fixed.

#4115 21 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

It’s available. No one has made an offer or contacted me about it. Message me if you’re interested.

shirkle, pomc - I'm WI; y'all look to be much closer.

pomc - I would pay for shipping if you're willing to pack it up to send to WI! But if you two want to just handle locally, no worries. I've got plenty of projects to keep me occupied. =)

#4116 21 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

custom. It's a baby AT but based upon AMD GFX processor.
A standard PC is doable; but only in NuCore config.

thanks for the info. It looks like NuCore is long gone, so if my system craps out, I better become a electronics wizard!

#4117 21 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Update notes are:
v2.22 RFM Update
Scene - Fixed an issue where the ball save was broken for scene endings. Where the ball drains and is not held by the up post as the scene end runs. See Appendix1 for more detailed explanation on this fix.
Hurry Up - Improved graphics interaction with scene manager, especially at end of scenes where a hurry up is still running.
Hurry up - Now gets stopped when the scene ends if its not been collected and is still running
Happy Hr - regular flippers are now restored if a multi-ball mode runs during this mode, pausing the happy hr mode
Happy Hr - Drunk flippers are resumed once any higher priority mode has finished (multi ball) modes. Possibly makes the games alittle more tricky, so player need to be alert!
Happy Hr - Added new graphics and speech calls to tell players about normal flippers if changing from drunk and vise versa
Attract - Fixed a few missing lamps from the std twinkle effect
Power Drain - New Feature! Inspired from Dialed In. During Martian Attack Multiball certain shots must be completed in time otherwise the big martian will attack your flippers for a short period!!
System - 6 ball trough now recognised once extra hardware installed
Midnight Madness - Updates to support multiple sizes of troughs
Capture Multiball - add a ball now upports multiple sizes of troughs
XINA 1.34
System - Added new additional baud speeds new updater software program
Hidden Images - Removed some old images to make more flash ram space for game code updates and allow original computer systems to still receive the latest code updates
Now starting work on v2.23...

I think I speak for everyone when I say "hell yes! thank you so much"

#4118 20 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Thanks you for all the great work!

I'll install later, and will donate some small amount again later. I'm curious how the Power Drain feature will turn out to be in RFM (I like it in DI, so I suppose I'll like it ).

#4119 20 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Update notes are:

Thanks Applejuice, i'll upgrade this weekend, can't wait
Your work is truly appreciated!

#4120 20 days ago

I upgraded just fine yesterday. Deleted, copied and pasted the files in a few minutes and rebooted. Only played one game so I didn’t see the new content. Will get some game time on today for sure.

#4121 19 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

v2.22 is now out

Note to self: a few days of not checking here for the update did the trick, remember that for the future!

applejuice: Good job, thanks a lot! Will update asap, but am quite busy at the moment.

#4122 18 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

thanks for the info. It looks like NuCore is long gone, so if my system craps out, I better become a electronics wizard!

actually its not .. it became open source. you can install your own pc now without problems.

#4123 18 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

v2.22 RFM Update

Yesterday I went from 1.5 to 2.22 (using the P2K Update Manager), but my RFM says the sound is at version 1.2...
b52a6758-7d43-4d80-a5d3-0a3c3dc78d54 (resized).jpg

#4124 18 days ago

Checked mine and it says 1.1. I’m running Pinbox, not original cpu.

image (resized).jpg

#4125 18 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Checked mine and it says 1.1

Hmm... from what version did you upgrade?
Did we have to upgrade one version after another, instead of making the big jump at once?

#4126 18 days ago
Quoted from tomster:

Hmm... from what version did you upgrade?
Did we have to upgrade one version after another, instead of making the big jump at once?

I was at 2.21. My original CPU is bad so I installed the CPU from my Star Wars and updated the RFM Prism card. When I got the game it was on .1, then I upgraded to 1.5.

When I went to Pinbox, it has 1.5 installed already and I then installed 2.21. Then a few days ago went to 2.22.

#4127 17 days ago

Has anyone else problems with extra balls, based on score? I activated the 4 scores, but I don't get extra balls, when I reach those scores....

Original Prism, version 2.22.

#4128 17 days ago
Quoted from tomster:

Has anyone else problems with extra balls, based on score? I activated the 4 scores, but I don't get extra balls, when I reach those scores....
Original Prism, version 2.22.

No, extra balls work fine on my game. Not had any reports of this

#4129 17 days ago
Quoted from tomster:

Yesterday I went from 1.5 to 2.22 (using the P2K Update Manager), but my RFM says the sound is at version 1.2...
[quoted image]

Ok you are misunderstanding a few things. The note in the update refers to the sound update section in the flash update. v1.5 refers to the game update from which the sound update is taken not the sound update version itself. This is v1.2.

Now, to make things more complicated pinbox and nucore don't actually use the sound update section of the flash update they reference an internal file or some other files i have no info about. This is why the emulation systems says sound rev v1.1 regardless of what i do with the updates.

#4131 17 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

No, extra balls work fine on my game. Not had any reports of this

Strange. It worked fine on 1.5.

Is it possible to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.22 directly or should I have installed all the Roms in order?

#4132 17 days ago
Quoted from tomster:

Strange. It worked fine on 1.5.
Is it possible to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.22 directly or should I have installed all the Roms in order?

You can upgrade to the latest version from any version. It doesnt matter.

I would try a factory reset first then double check your settings are actually still set as extra ball

#4133 17 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I would try a factory reset first then double check your settings are actually still set as extra ball

Will try later. Thanks!

#4134 17 days ago

I was going to say earlier that regardless of the version displayed, it sounds just fine. Also I was streaming on FB last night for a while and got all my extra balls fine as well.

#4135 17 days ago

Hey guys, my RVM is on the container ship from Italy right now. I have a question about power conversion. When I got my Rescue 911 (Gottlieb System 3) I had to change the power jumper (A12J5) in addition to the actual wall plug. Is there something similar I will need for the RVM?

#4136 17 days ago

Just got my IDC insertion tool, the one applejuice recommends. I made the mistake of ordering an Amp tool instead of Molex from Marco. Oops. Btw you can order direct from Molex. Free shipping. Great price. And it arrived in two days.

#4137 16 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Factory reset did the trick. Somehow my settings got mixed up. But now it's working fine again. Thank you so much for your work on this.

I want to contribute to this noble cause, by ordering your RGB saucer lights and loom. Can you tell me when the saucer lights are back in stock?

#4138 16 days ago

What magic is involved in getting the machine to keep date and time properly? I have:

Replaced and checked the mainboard battery. (Was dead.)
Replaced and checked prism battery. (It was 3.0v)
Mainboard and prism have no damage, nothing leaked.
Did a full factory reset, then set the clock. Played a few games and let it run for approx 4hrs.
It will run ok as long as the machine is on.

On poweroff i am back at Jan 1 2010 12.00

It will keep the year but not the month day and clock.
I dont get it. Whats the magic trick?

#4139 16 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Hey guys, my RVM is on the container ship from Italy right now. I have a question about power conversion. When I got my Rescue 911 (Gottlieb System 3) I had to change the power jumper (A12J5) in addition to the actual wall plug. Is there something similar I will need for the RVM?

Yes there is a power configuration jumper plug.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-22990.1-1

#4140 15 days ago

Cool,thanks

#4141 15 days ago

V2.23 starting to take shape. Currently going through the entire speech list to add more unused phrases and more variety in existing modes and places like outlane drain, ball save etc etc

#4142 15 days ago

Experienced two game freezes this evening with 2.22. Didn’t play a game, just had it turned on and later saw the screen was frozen and all playfield lights off. Turned the system off and on and was sitting nearby reading when I saw it freeze again.

#4143 14 days ago

No freezes noticed here. I can play games fine. I've been debugging the clock problem for some time now and have had the machine on for quite a long time to see if it would help store the time/date . I would suggest to check the fan on the Cyrix CPU and/or temperatures. Maybe underclock it?

As for my time/date problem, can somebody with an original Pin2k computer + serial cable please check one thing for me?
Connect the serial to a PC and start up a terminal, using putty for example, 9600,8n1 on whatever com port you use on the PC.
Turn on the machine and watch for the boot up messages to finish. There should be similar lines to this on the bottom:

[code]
*** NonFatal: 1 Jan 1999 12:00:00
*** NonFatal: Last[XPid -1 APid -1 (none)] Current[XPid 0 APid -1 (prnull)]
*** NonFatal: Retrieve Resource (get & Failed, ID=

Allegro version information here
Game Information here
Type[PRODUCTION_BUILD, ALLOW_SCORE_CREDIT]

[Wednesday, 1 January 2020 12:00:02]
%
[/code]

Now if i deduct from this it seems to get Jan 1999 / 12:00 from somewhere (mainboard? But battery is good!)
The year appears to be stored in the Prism flash.. and combined with the mainboard date of Jan 1 + Time 12:00
The machine then makes it Jan 1 2020 2 seconds later.

I'm wondering if people with a working clock have a different date where i have "*** NonFatal: 1 Jan 1999 ..." at bootup.

It seems to point to a broken clock on my mainboard for some odd reason? Or something i don't yet understand.

#4144 14 days ago
Quoted from Asure:

No freezes noticed here. I can play games fine. I've been debugging the clock problem for some time now and have had the machine on for quite a long time to see if it would help store the time/date . I would suggest to check the fan on the Cyrix CPU and/or temperatures. Maybe underclock it?
As for my time/date problem, can somebody with an original Pin2k computer + serial cable please check one thing for me?
Connect the serial to a PC and start up a terminal, using putty for example, 9600,8n1 on whatever com port you use on the PC.
Turn on the machine and watch for the boot up messages to finish. There should be similar lines to this on the bottom:
[code]
*** NonFatal: 1 Jan 1999 12:00:00
*** NonFatal: Last[XPid -1 APid -1 (none)] Current[XPid 0 APid -1 (prnull)]
*** NonFatal: Retrieve Resource (get & Failed, ID=
Allegro version information here
Game Information here
Type[PRODUCTION_BUILD, ALLOW_SCORE_CREDIT]
[Wednesday, 1 January 2020 12:00:02]
%
[/code]
Now if i deduct from this it seems to get Jan 1999 / 12:00 from somewhere (mainboard? But battery is good!)
The year appears to be stored in the Prism flash.. and combined with the mainboard date of Jan 1 + Time 12:00
The machine then makes it Jan 1 2020 2 seconds later.
I'm wondering if people with a working clock have a different date where i have "*** NonFatal: 1 Jan 1999 ..." at bootup.
It seems to point to a broken clock on my mainboard for some odd reason? Or something i don't yet understand.

Get a different motherboard. The clock time/date comes from there with the year adjusted.

#4145 14 days ago

Or you can rewire the current molex plug for US power (or Jon, Victor or I could help you when the container arrives). It's the same power conversion as on all 90s Williams games, so we've done a lot of them at previous unloading days.

#4146 14 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Experienced two game freezes this evening with 2.22. Didn’t play a game, just had it turned on and later saw the screen was frozen and all playfield lights off. Turned the system off and on and was sitting nearby reading when I saw it freeze again.

Game freezes I think were PC going into power save for some reason. Never happened before. But exited to desktop and waited and it went blank eventually. Plugged in a mouse and moved it and it came back on. Left a keyboard and mouse plugged into the PC and the game has been on for several hours without issue.

#4147 14 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Get a different motherboard. The clock time/date comes from there with the year adjusted.

I pulled the prism and booted w/ VGA. That's odd, CMOS error - Battery low
I checked the battery i replaced and it was at 3.1VDC.. Rebooted, but again CMOS checksum error.
Swapped in a new no-name brand from the wife's Christmas light battery collection and saved bios settings. Rebooted and power cycled but no CMOS errors this time. Set the clock from the menu, and power cycled after saving it. Clock now works!

Side note, the clock font is now in RED and it was in BLUE before, if that's any indication

Quoted from PoMC:

Game freezes I think were PC going into power save for some reason. Never happened before. But exited to desktop and waited and it went blank eventually. Plugged in a mouse and moved it and it came back on. Left a keyboard and mouse plugged into the PC and the game has been on for several hours without issue.

I didn't know you were using Pinbox/NuCore.
You should get rid of the screensaver using "sudo apt-get remove xscreensaver" from a terminal / ssh session and it will be gone forever.

#4148 14 days ago
Quoted from Asure:

I pulled the prism and booted w/ VGA. That's odd, CMOS error - Battery low
I checked the battery i replaced and it was at 3.1VDC.. Rebooted, but again CMOS checksum error.
Swapped in a new no-name brand from the wife's Christmas light battery collection and saved bios settings. Rebooted and power cycled but no CMOS errors this time. Set the clock from the menu, and power cycled after saving it. Clock now works!
Side note, the clock font is now in RED and it was in BLUE before, if that's any indication

I didn't know you were using Pinbox/NuCore.
You should get rid of the screensaver using "sudo apt-get remove xscreensaver" from a terminal / ssh session and it will be gone forever.

Screensaver is gone, did that command when I configured pinbox. This never happened before and it happened only after installing 2.22, so thought it was related. Game has been on all day since this morning and hasn’t happened again. Odd.

#4149 13 days ago
Quoted from Asure:

The clock font colour on the game attract screen changes to red when it’s in the window for midnight madness ie close to midnight. Nothing to do with your motherboards battery levels...

#4150 13 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Screensaver is gone, did that command when I configured pinbox. This never happened before and it happened only after installing 2.22, so thought it was related. Game has been on all day since this morning and hasn’t happened again. Odd.

Please don’t assume crashes are software related. Hardware can go wrong. And emulation systems are not perfect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Ogden, UT
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Orange Park, FL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 4169 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 84.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside