IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 135.
#3801 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Is it the prism card battery?

yeap. Good luck with that.

#3802 3 years ago

You can buy a prism-divert-tool and battery from Applejuice. The tool works really nice to separate the two parts of the prism card.

#3803 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Okay, noob question here:
I had a couple of good games on my new RFM and saved my initials for high scores. However, after turning off the game and powering up again, my high scores are gone. Has happened a couple of days in a row. I changed the battery on the PC motherboard, but no luck. Any idea what saves the high scores on this game? Is it the prism card battery?

Quoted from sven:

You can buy a prism-divert-tool and battery from Applejuice. The tool works really nice to separate the two parts of the prism card.

Yep i have both the proper batteries and the separator tool available.

#3804 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

PM sent.

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

It's a hack... and your power box is missing the transformer configuration plug. Be careful because you don't know how its connected... it could be always on (a hot connection directly wired to the AC power lines).
Here is a link to some pictures of my restoration... you can find some power box pics in there for reference...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rAhmGBEYxmqfAD5cA

Nice work sir!

#3806 3 years ago

45 min later lol..

20200523_153437.jpg20200523_153437.jpg20200523_162002.jpg20200523_162002.jpg
#3807 3 years ago

I use the exact same laptop to update.

#3808 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I use the exact same laptop to update.

I lucked out, threw out the one I used to use but was recently given this along with some other antiquated crap. Couldn't get the darn thing to work right, until I realized it was my fault, I had cleaned it up and added Avast... mistake. Deleted Avast this am in Safemode, Bam, worked again.

#3809 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Thanks again for making these available. The battery I bought on Amazon was apparently DOA.

#3810 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

45 min later lol..

You need to crank up the baud rate! I always have it set to the max.

#3811 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:You need to crank up the baud rate! I always have it set to the max.

I was in no rush, and read a few posts about failures due to speed, so went slow to play it safe. Actually went by fast, because as soon as it started I heard the wife drop a pizza sauce glass bottle grenade on the kitchen floor. After cleaning that up and vacuuming the millions of glass shrapnel shards up, a few times, it was almost finished.

#3812 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Thanks again for making these available. The battery I bought on Amazon was apparently DOA.

No problem, i have a good reliable supply of them. They are made by Panasonic to. Also for anyone thinking of using a different type battery and changing the holder. Don't, There's a reason this type of battery was used with prism cards. The BR series batteries are much less likely to leak.

#3813 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I lucked out, threw out the one I used to use but was recently given this along with some other antiquated crap. Couldn't get the darn thing to work right, until I realized it was my fault, I had cleaned it up and added Avast... mistake. Deleted Avast this am in Safemode, Bam, worked again.

Time is running out for update processes locked in to old crappy windows laptops ha ha

#3814 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Time is running out for update processes locked in to old crappy windows laptops ha ha

just the installer that is stuck on the old windows

#3815 3 years ago

Well, it took all afternoon but this finally happened. New LED translight, LCD monitor, major mods on the bracket kit I bought with the monitor ( Not happy with the poorly designed adapter kit brackets but I made lemonade anyway with it and the original brackets). All wired in and tomorrow going to start on switches and find out why it burns fuses. Wish me luck.

IMG_20200524_160225275 (resized).jpgIMG_20200524_160225275 (resized).jpgIMG_20200524_202451430_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200524_202451430_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200524_201213985_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200524_201213985_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200524_201203100_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200524_201203100_HDR (resized).jpg
#3816 3 years ago

What was the issue with the monitor kit?
Who did you buy from?
What did you have to mod?

#3817 3 years ago

The brackets they suggested I buy with the monitor (I don't want to bad mouth anyone here on pinside, trying to be positive) were to mount the LCD in an arcade cabinet I think. I had to cut the back side of the brackets off, drill holes in the LCD adapter kit and take the frame off the old monitor and use both to mount the LCD. I didn't use half of the brackets on the conversion kit. I bought a complete 20" led light to replace the factory T8 assembly. If I had to do it again I would buy a flat piece of mind steel, cut out where the LCD mounts and drill holes for the LCD and where the plate mounts to the cabinet, paint it all black and be done.

#3818 3 years ago

Working on the black vuk, found one of the opto sensors black and the other clear/rose colored. The black one is burnt out, right?

IMG_20200525_211019214 (resized).jpgIMG_20200525_211019214 (resized).jpgIMG_20200525_211024594 (resized).jpgIMG_20200525_211024594 (resized).jpg

#3819 3 years ago
Quoted from Pozzest01:

Working on the black vuk, found one of the opto sensors black and the other clear/rose colored. The black one is burnt out, right?
[quoted image][quoted image]

No not right

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_Code=OP&Product_Code=PPS-A-14232
Photo Trans Assy (Receiver) A-14232 is Dark colour
InfraRed transmitter board is A-14231 is lighter colour
Some camera's phone can see the transmitter light

How Can I tell a Transmitter from a Receiver?
In case you have optos laying around and you don't know if they are transmitters or receivers, a simple diode test with a DMM across the leads will reveal which LED type it is. A transmitter will check about 1.5 across the leads one way, open (no reading) the other way. A receiver will check open (no reading) either direction unless you shine a flashlight on it, then it will check open one way and shorted (0) when the leads are reversed.

#3820 3 years ago

SOLD I found another complete set of new original RFM playfield plastics. this is a complete set except for any of the promo items (11 key chains).
$80 plus shipping.

all pieces still have the protective plastic on them and the set also includes an additional set of slings and inlane plastics
F9D737FC-6B5C-4028-89B0-1009328FA728 (resized).jpegF9D737FC-6B5C-4028-89B0-1009328FA728 (resized).jpeg

#3821 3 years ago

Sorry to ask , I just picked up a RFM. Is there a type of cleaner I should or should not use on the playfield glass?

#3822 3 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

Sorry to ask , I just picked up a RFM. Is there a type of cleaner I should or should not use on the playfield glass?

Glad you asked. Picked one up today! Never had a p2k. Glass is super smudged and I also want to clean it.

#3823 3 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

I just use Windex and a cotton t-shirt.

#3824 3 years ago

Doesn't Windex have ammonia in it which can react badly with the metallic coating on Pin2k glass?
I use old Windex Advanced... which afaik was discontinued.

#3825 3 years ago

I use this (with a microfiber cloth) for all my PDI and PB2K glass.
F985D2AD-1FB1-4AFD-A808-85926569EA91 (resized).jpegF985D2AD-1FB1-4AFD-A808-85926569EA91 (resized).jpeg

#3826 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Doesn't Windex have ammonia in it which can react badly with the metallic coating on Pin2k glass?
I use old Windex Advanced... which afaik was discontinued.

Sorry, I use "Ammonia free Windex"

#3827 3 years ago

Cool, thanks. I use an ammonia free product on my invisaglass. I kind of figured the p2k glass should at least get the same but I just wanted to check as I didn’t see anything posted about it and I don’t know if it needed something more special. I know the p2k glass is hard to replace lol. Thanks and have a great weekend all.

#3828 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I found another complete set of new original RFM playfield plastics. this is a complete set except for any of the promo items (11 key chains).
$80 plus shipping.
all pieces still have the protective plastic on them and the set also includes an additional set of slings and inlane plastics
[quoted image]

That's a deal right here for anyone needing plastics.

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Glad you asked. Picked one up today! Never had a p2k. Glass is super smudged and I also want to clean it.

Well shit. Owned it 5 days. Attacked Mars twice already and beat it tonight. Played maybe 25-30 games total. Wish it had twice the content... I had heard it was easy but didn’t think it would be THAT easy.

Anybody have v2.x installed(on NUCORE/Pinbox)? Is it better?

#3830 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Well shit. Owned it 5 days. Attacked Mars twice already and beat it tonight. Played maybe 25-30 games total. Wish it had twice the content... I had heard it was easy but didn’t think it would be THAT easy.

All depends on what your system adjustments (tournament) and feature adjustments are set to, installing v2.x will give extra features also.

#3831 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

What version are you running?? My versions (from v2 onwards) make things much harder. Saucer lights are not given for nothing like before for example! Anyway, i suggest you read the update notes to find out.

#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

What version are you running?? My versions (from v2 onwards) make things much harder. Saucer lights are not given for nothing like before for example! Anyway, i suggest you read the update notes to find out.

I’m on 1.5. I may have all my computer parts by the weekend. Right now the ArcadeVGA is scheduled to arrive Monday but I think it’ll be faster.

Yes I plan to keep using the original monitor. It’s crisp and bright with zero burn and there’s just no reason to replace it, especially after installing the video amp (still had it from my MAME days).

#3833 3 years ago

To make things harder: set the outlanes to fully open, adjust settings so it becomes harder (and install Applejuices software), don't let the ball stop when lighting a lock or shooting a loop, so it keeps speed. A game that's too easy for a player is never good.

#3834 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I’m on 1.5. I may have all my computer parts by the weekend. Right now the ArcadeVGA is scheduled to arrive Monday but I think it’ll be faster.

Why change the hardware?
Seriously... if it' an't broke... don't fix it.

#3835 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yes I plan to keep using the original monitor. It’s crisp and bright with zero burn and there’s just no reason to replace it, especially after installing the video amp (still had it from my MAME days).

Update the software to Applejuice's latest version. It makes the game much harder. I can put up a couple billion with ease on the original software. It's not nearly as easy with the updates.

#3836 3 years ago

So I just got a RFM, where do you get this new software that is being talked about?

#3837 3 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

So I just got a RFM, where do you get this new software that is being talked about?

It's available on mypinballs.com - from there you have to either wait for Applejuices (that's his Pinside handle) software to be released to allow an RFM to be updated via a common PC or MAC or snag a PUB card from someone with the software on there and update, or use the old XP laptop/fupdate method to update the software.....PUB card is the best method for certain - there are folks that can put that software on the PUB (for a nominal fee)....RFM game play has increased exponentially with the software update.....

#3838 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Why change the hardware?
Seriously... if it' an't broke... don't fix it.

Cause it's more expensive(and time consuming) to find/buy a PUB and getting shipped to me, ship to and pay someone to program it then ship it back to me.

#3839 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Cause it's more expensive(and time consuming) to find/buy a PUB and getting shipped to me, ship to and pay someone to program it then ship it back to me.

There is no need to buy a PUB card. For code that is now getting frequent updates, it makes no sense to own one. Update over serial takes just a few minutes, and you don't even have to crack open the computer case (like you would with the PUB card).

#3840 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Update over serial takes just a few minutes, and you don't even have to crack open the computer case (like you would with the PUB card).

Exactly. That's what I did... Serial over usb.

Or wait for applejuice 's new updating software and do it for a "donation".

#3841 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Exactly. That's what I did... Serial over usb.
Or wait for applejuice 's new updating software and do it for a "donation".

What does that imply?

#3842 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

There is no need to buy a PUB card. For code that is now getting frequent updates, it makes no sense to own one. Update over serial takes just a few minutes, and you don't even have to crack open the computer case (like you would with the PUB card).

Tried in compatibility mode with a usb-serial converter (COM1) and cant even make the software start. Can’t see the com port. I am back to my initial plan.

#3843 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Tried in compatibility mode with a usb-serial converter (COM1) and cant even make the software start. Can’t see the com port. I am back to my initial plan.

Follow this tutorial:
https://brianpeek.com/pinball-2000-software-update-with-windows-7-x64/

#3844 3 years ago

If it doesn’t work on the serial port in the coin door, try connecting it directly to the PC. If needs to communicate to Port 1, if plugging in directly to the computer it is possible that the cable on the motherboard is not plugged into COM1. In that case, simply plug it into the correct port (Pin needs to be switched off for that!).

#3845 3 years ago

This is why I suggest the PUB - I've done it both ways and PUB is the winner - takes no time at all (<90 seconds) and you don't need anything else....the other method can be troublesome and for me took every bit of 30mins or so....just ask someone if they'll send you their PUB (it likely has been updated) and pay them to rent it and send it back....I had a friends PUB updated then offered to folks that had RFM in my area - that's how we did it....made life simple...

#3846 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:This is why I suggest the PUB - I've done it both ways and PUB is the winner - takes no time at all (<90 seconds) and you don't need anything else....the other method can be troublesome and for me took every bit of 30mins or so....just ask someone if they'll send you their PUB (it likely has been updated) and pay them to rent it and send it back....I had a friends PUB updated then offered to folks that had RFM in my area - that's how we did it....made life simple...

And also why i've spent time creating a brand new update program!

#3847 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Make sure you have a USB to NULL serial cable. I bought 2 different ones off Amazon because the first one purchased was not a NULL crossover cable.

#3848 3 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

Make sure you have a USB to NULL serial cable. I bought 2 different ones off Amazon because the first one purchased was not a NULL crossover cable.

The null modem is exterior.
Just wire the cable properly or get a null modem cable. It's only 3 lines. RX->TX, TX->RX, GND-GND

Or buy a null modem "adapter" when you buy the usb to serial converter.

#3849 3 years ago

I am happy to report that I am now on v2.21.

My usb-to-serial adapter doesn’t work in Win 10. Luckily the computer MB i bought to build a NUCORE had a built in COM PORT. I just installed windows 10, hooked it up to the machine and did the fupdate method. Took a few tries but got it going.

Game is much more fun now.

I may build the NUCORE just to have a backup but i don’t plan on using it.

#3850 3 years ago

Hello everyone. Im hoping someone can just verify my thoughs are correct before I try to update my RFM to 2.21.

Ive got a very stock RFM Machine(original computer and all). I have previously updated the code on this machine using an old computer and null modem db9 cable and the existing pb2k update program(I think I got it off planetary pinballs website). Can I just download the latest 2.21 code from mypinballs.com and using the same computer and cable setup as before, update my game to 2.21?

Thank you for the help,

-Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,703 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/77?hl=mrmikeman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.