checksumRFM (resized).jpg
IMG_2225 (resized).JPG
InShot_20240217_034302200 (resized).jpg
20240215_192804 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240210_130413_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20240130_080728 (resized).jpg
20240130_080725 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 134.
#2951 4 years ago

Just put on these flipper bat toppers on my RFM from Mezelmods. They look really awesome

BB6C4057-07B8-477B-9428-AD99CF779BF2 (resized).jpegBB6C4057-07B8-477B-9428-AD99CF779BF2 (resized).jpeg
#2952 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Possibly you have a tournament setting turned on, which will equalise the sol awards to dullness. Check the standard and feature settings in the service menu adjustments
and UPGRADE YOUR SOFTWARE ha ha ha

Omg, didn't realize the SOL rewards could be changed. After turning off tournament setting the game got a lot more varied (I get into the SOL hole a lot). Thanks for the great advice.

#2953 4 years ago

A little loom from across the pond! Psyched to get my shaker installed !!!! applejuice rocks!!!!

DD0306F1-CE40-450C-8A4D-B503C4E75EB1 (resized).jpegDD0306F1-CE40-450C-8A4D-B503C4E75EB1 (resized).jpeg
#2954 4 years ago

can anyone with a rfm tell me the approximate height of the machine with the head on minus the legs? hoping to pick one up without taking the head off.

thanks

#2955 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-rfm-dimensions-please

Quoted from fusion:

can anyone with a rfm tell me the approximate height of the machine with the head on minus the legs? hoping to pick one up without taking the head off.
thanks

#2956 4 years ago

Got my loom today, yay.

Now I just need dummy instructions on how to assemble everything , what shaker to use and so on

#2957 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Got my loom today, yay.
Now I just need dummy instructions on how to assemble everything , what shaker to use and so on

See post 2950, I will be adding a link to my instructions sheet later today. You can pretty much use any shaker you want but a stern sam shaker is easiest.

Also note the bag of extras in the kit for easy connection of said shaker

#2958 4 years ago

I just joined the club a 2nd time. I know this is a long shot but the one i just picked up is missing the back panel on the head/backbox.....outside of making something does anyone have a lead on where one could be purchased at?

#2959 4 years ago

The Shaker & Knocker Loom install instructions for my loom product is here:

https://mypinballs.com/files/rfm-shaker-instructions_v10.pdf

Please read the instructions carefully.

#2960 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The Shaker & Knocker Loom install instructions for my loom product is here:
https://mypinballs.com/files/rfm-shaker-instructions_v10.pdf
Please read the instructions carefully.

Reminds me I need to pay my invoice - will do shortly....what about connection/setup of a knocker?

#2961 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Reminds me I need to pay my invoice - will do shortly....what about connection/setup of a knocker?

Connect the knocker as shown in the instructions

#2962 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Connect the knocker as shown in the instructions

In the instructions (the pdf link above) - I only see the shaker noted for installation......where are the instructions for the knocker?

#2963 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

In the instructions (the pdf link above) - I only see the shaker noted for installation......where are the instructions for the knocker?

Not sure what else you need? You just add a connector (included in the kit) to the knocker you buy and then plug it into the connection stated in the instructions in the output connection table. Easy

#2964 4 years ago

Wasn't sure if you had detailed the parts/pieces you used for your knocker set-up...coil...bracket....good location...etc....I was looking more for that....

#2965 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Wasn't sure if you had detailed the parts/pieces you used for your knocker set-up...coil...bracket....good location...etc....I was looking more for that....

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsega-knocker-assembly.html

I linked this a few times in the thread

#2966 4 years ago

Would Williams assembly also work? I have several of those.

#2967 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Would Williams assembly also work? I have several of those.

Not really, as the knocker needs to be cab mounted so the de one is the best option. wms one are gravity fed in the backbox usually.

#2968 4 years ago
Quoted from thesav:

Which Stern shakers are compatible with your loom and update? All of them? Or just some?
I’ve got a Rev B shaker (502-5027-00 Rev B), will it work correctly in RFM with your loom?

Is it possible to use a Stern SPIKE shaker 502-5027-00-02 (rev C) also? If I understand it correctly we connect the loom directly to the motor (via a fuse) and can simply discard any other stuff like controller boards bundled with the shaker.

If I can't use the SPIKE shaker then why not, wrong voltage?

Also, can I use any knocker with a spring (used for horizontal mounting) or do they differ in other ways? I can't find the standard Stern knocker anywhere near me and the shipping overseas is pretty much. Any other recommended knockers then the Stern one?

#2969 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Is it possible to use a Stern SPIKE shaker 502-5027-00-02 (rev C) also? If I understand it correctly we connect the loom directly to the motor (via a fuse) and can simply discard any other stuff like controller boards bundled with the shaker.
If I can't use the SPIKE shaker then why not, wrong voltage?
Also, can I use any knocker with a spring (used for horizontal mounting) or do they differ in other ways? I can't find the standard Stern knocker anywhere near me and the shipping overseas is pretty much. Any other recommended knockers then the Stern one?

Any shaker that runs from 12v should work ok, but if you decide to use something i haven't said works or got people to test then it is at your own risk. I've said what will work ok and i'm not going to go and test every shaker out there. If people want to test other models and they work then i will keep a list/update the instructions accordingly no problem. Remember though its at your own risk ..

The DE knocker design should be able to be recreated from various parts. There isn't anything special other than using a sensible coil like a 26-1200 etc

#2970 4 years ago

applejuice Noob question about the rfm-shaker-instructions_v10.pdf. See attached images. At my machine the left (L) socket is already in use. What to do?

yours-rfm-powerdriverboard (resized).pngyours-rfm-powerdriverboard (resized).pngmine-rfm-powerdriverboard (resized).pngmine-rfm-powerdriverboard (resized).png
#2971 4 years ago
Quoted from CommissarisRex:

applejuice Noob question about the rfm-shaker-instructions_v10.pdf. See attached images. At my machine the left (L) socket is already in use. What to do?[quoted image][quoted image]

Move the games connector back to the rhs one and install the new cable as shown. Someone moved your connector. It doesn't really matter as they are the same outputs, but for neatness and matching the manual do the above.

#2972 4 years ago

FINALLY I think I’ve got my nucore system working properly with my Dell Optiplex 960.

I went back to the original Ubuntu distro for nucore which is 8.04.4... this happens to be too old for the Dell computer. The 8.04 distro doesn't have the drivers for the onboard NIC. I then tried to use 10.04 but that had a slightly different Desktop environment. I probably could have made that work but I opted to go with 9.04 as it maintains the same basic structure as the original 8.04.4 and has updated drivers for the on-board nic.

I took the nucore installation iso and updated it to correct the path for the sources for the distro (since they need to be pointed to the "old-releases" website and included all the updates so that its a complete current install of nucore.

So now I can basically follow the original nucore manual installation process and it works !

Ideally I would like to get 18.04 to work but I just don't have the patience at the moment to find out what is interfering with the IO.. I will get back to it but for now... this seems to work just fine.

I need to do some more testing... but I'm pretty confident this is solid.

#2973 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

FINALLY I think I’ve got my nucore system working properly with my Dell Optiplex 960.
I took the nucore installation iso and updated it to correct the path for the sources for the distro (since they need to be pointed to the "old-releases" website and included all the updates so that its a complete current install of nucore.
So now I can basically follow the original nucore manual installation process and it works !

I'd be interested in this..

#2974 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I'd be interested in this..

Yup... I just have a couple of clean ups on the iso ... then I’d be happy if you would give it a shot !

#2975 4 years ago

Selling nice RFM. 3500. HUO. Has LCD monitor installed. Looking to trade for World Cup Soccer, Fish Tales, Black Knight 2000, Guardians of the Galaxy Pro, Saga/Stern Harley. But tell me what you got!

MJR

#2976 4 years ago

shotout to applejuice for an awesome 2.1 update.
I easily upgraded from 1.5 to 2.1 with a homemade null modem cable and my old XP laptop.
No issues.

#2977 4 years ago

Looking for this plastic if anyone has one, shoot me a PM
BE196D70-3D1B-4230-AF8F-172F8E935501 (resized).jpegBE196D70-3D1B-4230-AF8F-172F8E935501 (resized).jpeg

54083FED-6741-46CA-AD98-C9EC2C391A02 (resized).jpeg54083FED-6741-46CA-AD98-C9EC2C391A02 (resized).jpeg
#2978 4 years ago

I have to admit I've only ever made it halfway through this thread (after hours of reading across multiple days.) I've bookmarked specific posts along the way.

I picked up this knocker today.

Can't tell from the picture if the metal plate behind it is a mounting plate or the strike plate. So I bought a strike plate too:
https://www.pinballlife.com/knocker-strike-plate.html

Also picked up this STERN SAM Motor:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-factory-authorized-shaker-motor-kit-rev-b-for-most-stern-sam-system-games.html

Hope this helps folks lost in this thread like me. Also hoping someone corrects me if I am giving bad info!

Still relatively new to actually working on pins.

#2979 4 years ago

I know its been discussed a million times over i this thread but how is everyone finding old windows 98 laptops and pcs to do the 2.10 update??? i know you can rent the card with 1.6 but did all of you guys just have an old laptop ready to go in your closet?????

#2980 4 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

I know its been discussed a million times over i this thread but how is everyone finding old windows 98 laptops and pcs to do the 2.10 update??? i know you can rent the card with 1.6 but did all of you guys just have an old laptop ready to go in your closet?????

I purchased a PUB Card from WhiskeyTango and called it a day.

I have some old mother boards and windows 98 cds sitting around some where and might built something if something better than a 2.1 comes out. But for now I am happy.

Renting a PUB Card is probably your best bet if you want one time/occasional and hassle free.

I only bought two pub cards (1.5 and 2.1) because I wanted to be able to go back or fix a brick.

#2981 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

I purchased a PUB Card from WhiskeyTango and called it a day.
I have some old mother boards and windows 98 cds sitting around some where and might built something if something better than a 2.1 comes out. But for now I am happy.
Renting a PUB Card is probably your best bet if you want one time/occasional and hassle free.
I only bought two pub cards (1.5 and 2.1) because I wanted to be able to go back or fix a brick.

#2982 4 years ago

With applejuice making frequent updates, PUB cards are not ideal. Unless you have an old computer with an ISA slot so you can reprogram the PUB.

#2983 4 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

You don't need an old laptop. I am using my MacBook where I installed Windows 2000 via virtual box. I am using some adapter cables to connect to my RFM. USB to serial adaptor and of course a null modem cable. No problems it just works. You can install an old Windows version on any modern device via virtual box or different os emulation programs.

#2984 4 years ago

On the shaker installation... I’m thinking I’m going to relocate my tilt-bob to the other side for my shaker... it’s butt up against the tilt assembly. These PB2Ks just don’t have a ton of free space in them. I’m tearing this thing down in a couple of months anyway so no biggie.
0C8539EE-FD17-4FAC-BB6C-84A0CACD759F (resized).jpeg0C8539EE-FD17-4FAC-BB6C-84A0CACD759F (resized).jpeg2A288622-BCDF-42F1-89B8-B6222771A9E0 (resized).jpeg2A288622-BCDF-42F1-89B8-B6222771A9E0 (resized).jpeg

#2985 4 years ago

I'm still deciding on if I should invest in a shaker or not (got the loom already and planning to add the knocker) simply on the gut feeling that extra vibrations doesn't really pair good with CRT's/old solder connections/electronics in general. When and how long does the shaker activate if installed (few seconds each time or much longer)?

Anyone know of any damage caused because of a shaker (in any pin)?

#2986 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I'm still deciding on if I should invest in a shaker or not (got the loom already and planning to add the knocker) simply on the gut feeling that extra vibrations doesn't really pair good with CRT's/old solder connections/electronics in general. When and how long does the shaker activate if installed? Anyone know of any damage caused because of a shaker (in any pin)?

Just recently sold an Earthshaker pin a month ago and can’t say the shaking made any difference on the reliability of the hardware in the machine. Had all the normal problems but didn’t see excessive cracking on solder joints when reheating the boards.

#2987 4 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

You don’t need a windows 98 pc to update to any version of code including 2.10. I made a Tutorial vid on how to update with any modern windows based computer. Hopefully this helps:

#2988 4 years ago

I’ve updated pin2000’s using both windows XP and windows 7 using the method above .

#2989 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I'm still deciding on if I should invest in a shaker or not (got the loom already and planning to add the knocker) simply on the gut feeling that extra vibrations doesn't really pair good with CRT's/old solder connections/electronics in general. When and how long does the shaker activate if installed (few seconds each time or much longer)?
Anyone know of any damage caused because of a shaker (in any pin)?

Shakers are very common in modern pinball machines and they are full of surface mount and lead free soldered components. Not thinking this is anything to worry about.

#2990 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Shakers are very common in modern pinball machines and they are full of surface mount and lead free soldered components. Not thinking this is anything to worry about.

Well modern pins doesnt have 20 year old brittle solder points

Also unsure about the CRT and how sensitive it is to shaking.

You are probably correct that I worry to much though.

#2991 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Well modern pins doesnt have 20 year old brittle solder points
Also unsure about the CRT and how sensitive it is to shaking.
You are probably correct that I worry to much though.

Yeah I suppose the CRT is something of potential concern. My point is that modern electronics use a lead free solder processes... which is way more susceptible to break with shock and vibe.

#2992 4 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

You do NOT need any old hardware to do the update; only the updated x64 upgrade executable. I’ve updated a few RFM’s with my surface pro 4 & usb to serial adapter.

#2993 4 years ago

I was finally able to upgrade my RFM to 2.1 today. Thank you so much applejuice for all of your great work on making this game even better! Really appreciate it!

#2994 4 years ago

Installed my knocker... Repurposed a bally knocker from water damaged bally Star trek:

P_20190705_171053 (resized).jpgP_20190705_171053 (resized).jpg
#2995 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Installed my knocker... Repurposed a bally knocker from water damaged bally Star trek:[quoted image]

You have it striking the metal housing? I was going to ask where folks were installing theirs.....

#2996 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

You have it striking the metal housing? I was going to ask where folks were installing theirs.....

Yes of the AC box... I was going to make a metal strike plate and mount it somewhere else; but @applejuice's harness was to short and I didn't plan ahead with my own wiring by making mine longer.

If your going to install an existing knocker with a diode like mine; remember the banded side of the diode goes to brown (+50V) and the unbanded goes to blue (switched grounded). It'd be smart to remove the diode; but I didn't. I may live to regret it.

#2997 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

You can mount it anywhere you want really just make your connection the appropriate length. I mount mine in the same front right place as the shaker

#2998 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Yes of the AC box... I was going to make a metal strike plate and mount it somewhere else; but applejuice's harness was to short and I didn't plan ahead with my own wiring by making mine longer.
If your going to install an existing knocker with a diode like mine; remember the banded side of the diode goes to brown (+50V) and the unbanded goes to blue (switched grounded). It'd be smart to remove the diode; but I didn't. I may live to regret it.

just wanted to confirm no diode needed on the knocker. True?

Thanks,
Bob

#2999 4 years ago

I think pin2k has diodes built into the board... But someone will need to confirm is the schematics

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I think pin2k has diodes built into the board... But someone will need to confirm is the schematics

According to the schematic: Flipper Drivers, Drive Bank A and Drive Bank B have diodes on the board. It looks as if the knocker and shaker are on Drive Bank C (DRV 18 and DRV 19)... those do not have diodes on them. I’m probably wrong applejuice should confirm.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
There are 6,674 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 134.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/60?hl=phesson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.