IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,702 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 135.
#2801 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yeah I accept that “Next Gen” is what it is and all that’s generally available... I just see them anywhere from 249 (eBay) to 289 (various pinball shops)... a little afraid to save a buck to be sure I’m not getting someone’s own version of a “Next Gen” product.

I bought mine at Expo for $125 directly from the vendor.

#2802 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I bought mine at Expo for $125 directly from the vendor.

Oh man I’m not going to be that lucky !!!!

#2803 4 years ago

I realize I may be dousing myself in kerosene for this one, but has anyone had any luck in brightening the playfield without going completely garish?

My game room is dimly lit, and my 85 year-old father has trouble seeing where the ball is going, so I was hoping to raise the overall lumens a little without going full stadium lights. The RFM at Logan Arcade in Chicago is a bit more than what I was thinking, but a similar idea. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a real good look at where the lights were hiding when I was there.

Any ideas?

#2804 4 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

I realize I may be dousing myself in kerosene for this one, but has anyone had any luck in brightening the playfield without going completely garish?
My game room is dimly lit, and my 85 year-old father has trouble seeing where the ball is going, so I was hoping to raise the overall lumens a little without going full stadium lights. The RFM at Logan Arcade in Chicago is a bit more than what I was thinking, but a similar idea. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a real good look at where the lights were hiding when I was there.
Any ideas?

Before actually changing something. You can try increasing the brightness via menu adjustments. Adjustments>System Adjustments>Power Saver>Lamp Intensity Level>Default is 5. 0=brightest 15=darkest. Hope this helps.

EDIT:
Make sure to power cycle the game after changing this adjustment. The change wont take effect without a power cycle.
Maybe a software bug within XINA applejuice

#2805 4 years ago

Just built a Nucore box for my episode 1. Having a slight issue hope someone can point me in the right direction. I am having issues with the "free" build of Nucore sometimes booting to the lixux desktop? Any thoughts or fixes for this?

Thanks!

#2806 4 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Any ideas?

You have leds in it?

#2807 4 years ago

Shaker and Knocker Loom update:

I will be receiving the first sample from the manufacturer tomorrow, so will post some pics of it. After this is approved by me, its full steam ahead for 100x looms to be made

#2808 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You have leds in it?

I do, yes.

#2809 4 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Before actually changing something. You can try increasing the brightness via menu adjustments. Adjustments>System Adjustments>Power Saver>Lamp Intensity Level>Default is 5. 0=brightest 15=darkest. Hope this helps.

It helps a little, but I think the basic problem is that there just isn't any illumination on parts of the playfield. In any case, thanks for the tip, I didn't even see that option before.

#2810 4 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

It helps a little, but I think the basic problem is that there just isn't any illumination on parts of the playfield. In any case, thanks for the tip, I didn't even see that option before.

Well a lot of people don't know about this adjustment. idk why. Does your game have the two spotlights on both slings. If not I would add them. Some RFMs were missing them from factory. There is not much you can do about without messing up the gameplay experience. If the game gets to bright. The video animations will be dim.

#2811 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Anyone having issues with the microswitches in the two top lanes? Before I did my teardown, the left one basically never registered. I replace both microswitches with new ones and made sure the wire form had plenty of extension into the lane. If I manually depress them, it registers and I can hear the microswitches click. But during an actual game, they miss registering about 25% of the time. I re-adjusted the wireforms with no luck.
Also, anyone get the pop bumpers with good action. I did a complete and total rebuild on all three, including polishing the metal rings, and they are still clunky. Stronger coils? The ones that are in are to spec.
Thanks.

I have similar issues with my switches registering in my ball lock lane. Sometimes it seems like the ball travels too fast and doesn’t register with the switches, but the switches still test fine in test.

I wonder if adding a small capacitor across the switch leads would help? I’ve done this with my LOTR Palantir switch and now it registers every time I hit the switch.

#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from Bangback:

I have similar issues with my switches registering in my ball lock lane. Sometimes it seems like the ball travels too fast and doesn’t register with the switches, but the switches still test fine in test.
I wonder if adding a small capacitor across the switch leads would help? I’ve done this with my LOTR Palantir switch and now it registers every time I hit the switch.

Just replace all microswitch rollover switches. wpc-95 and pin2k cherry switches don't last. They were crap quality

#2813 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Just replace all microswitch rollover switches. wpc-95 and pin2k cherry switches don't last. They were crap quality

Weird, but my two RFM i own(ed) also both had bad top lane switches.
Haven't they used Cherry DA3C microswitches like most of the WPC era games?

#2814 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I had so many switches out on mine when I got it that you would have thought I had a switch matrix problem...

#2815 4 years ago

Sample loom is here. Checking it in my game.

IMG_4059 (resized).JPGIMG_4059 (resized).JPGIMG_4060 (resized).JPGIMG_4060 (resized).JPGIMG_4061 (resized).JPGIMG_4061 (resized).JPG

#2816 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!

#2817 4 years ago
Quoted from Bangback:

Same issue with me lately. Switch tests fine but the odd time it won't register the lock.

#2818 4 years ago
Quoted from mastercello:

Haven't they used Cherry DA3C microswitches like most of the WPC era games?

After the Bally Williams merger most games were a conglomeration of parts from both companies. Pinball 2000 was a whole different animal from what was produced at the time. WMS pinball was dismantled the same year, 1999.

#2819 4 years ago

Hey guys, just uploaded a tutorial on updating RFM to ver 1.5 and 2.1 using windows 7 and factory hardware. Let me know if it helps out!

#2820 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I checked the standard Stern SAM shakers and the motors have different connectors as they connect to a board. I'm assuming that one of the 2-pin molex connecters is intended for the shaker and would require a new connector installed.

#2821 4 years ago

I agree regard the crap microswitches in RFM.
I've had to replace about 3-4 of the p.o.s… on my game; they seem to be worse in the upper PF. In nearly every case; I can pull them and see some green ooze coming out of them. I'm not sure what that ooze is... but I'm guessing it may be left over flux from the manufacturing line which has "grown" into the actual switch body gunking up the internal mechs.

Last time I ended up buying the modern DB3 microswitches from digikey and moving the rollover wire to the body.

#2822 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I checked the standard Stern SAM shakers and the motors have different connectors as they connect to a board. I'm assuming that one of the 2-pin molex connecters is intended for the shaker and would require a new connector installed.

The loom has 2 standard molex connectors for connecting up a shaker and knocker. There are various shakers and knockers you can use so the connectors are like this so you can fit whatever you choose. The appropriate male ends and pins will be included so you can connect your items. If you use a stern shaker you don't have to use the board, you can just connect to the motor cable if you include a 2a fuse in line. The choices are many and its up to the individual.

These looms are already in use as i was making them manually beforehand so its all proven.

I will create an install doc about it when i get time.

#2823 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The loom has 2 standard molex connectors for connecting up a shaker and knocker. There are various shakers and knockers you can use so the connectors are like this so you can fit whatever you choose. The appropriate male ends and pins will be included so you can connect your items. If you use a stern shaker you don't have to use the board, you can just connect to the motor cable if you include a 2a fuse in line. The choices are many and its up to the individual.
These looms are already in use as i was making them manually beforehand so its all proven.
I will create an install doc about it when i get time.

Excellent. Thank you, sir.

#2824 4 years ago

Since it caused me great headache - wanted to pass along the CORRECT rubber kit for Revenge From Mars. The manual is long known to be wrong (shocker) and thus most available online retailers kits - are also wrong. Observationally, I don't think I've seen an RFM with a proper kit ...so here it is!

RFM_Rubber Kit001 (resized).pngRFM_Rubber Kit001 (resized).png
#2825 4 years ago

That is a bit different from the manual..

I'm interested to see what others have used.

#2826 4 years ago

I have some PUB cards left if anyone is interested.

#2827 4 years ago

More progress....working out the efficiency in building them and had to get a more proper Molex crimper...piece of advice - that cheap crimper you see nearly everyone has... sucks - spend the money and get the better one (like Ed as at GPE) makes a world of difference....it's stunning....I picked this one up on eBay for $35....they sell for 3Xs that new - but when you have 1 good crimp out of 5 and go to 5 out of 5....its worth it....

20190524_121638 (resized).jpg20190524_121638 (resized).jpg
#2828 4 years ago

I have Nucore kit, want to build it with included case, can anyone offer what motherboard would fit/work for that application?

Thx.

Nice to see this thread gaining popularity too. I have both Pin2000, they're different for sure, but still a blast to play. RFM is still the better of course.

#2829 4 years ago

Few new features that I'm working on. More details later. Maybe you'll want to stay up til midnight in the future??

#2830 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Few new features that I'm working on. More details later. Maybe you'll want to stay up til midnight in the future??

<everyone look both ways> I set the clock, right?

Excellent work, Jim.

#2831 4 years ago

Man, so excited about all the updates!
Are sound files easy to add? Was thinkning if memory wasnt any issue and not too much of a hassle we could add some more callouts and have a setting for which president you want: Clinton, Bush, Obama, or Trump. Would be cool to keep it current. Thank you for all the software (and now hardware!) work!

#2832 4 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Man, so excited about all the updates!
Are sound files easy to add? Was thinkning if memory wasnt any issue and not too much of a hassle we could add some more callouts and have a setting for which president you want: Clinton, Bush, Obama, or Trump. Would be cool to keep it current. Thank you for all the software (and now hardware!) work!

No he can't do and he won't be able to do so without the tools and raw sounds...

#2833 4 years ago

I have some PUB cards left if anyone is interested.

save one for me!

#2834 4 years ago

What about speeding the the auto-plunge on ball save... it seems the delay is kinda long and the launch button doesn’t work at that point

#2835 4 years ago

Work on a new feature - Attract mode clock and date addition. Handy when you have your RFM on a lot in the workshop/games room like me

This is also the start for work on a midnight madness mode.

Anything shown is just dev not final

144AEFF4-8BD3-41CB-A8BD-6FD7C7BF92CF (resized).jpeg144AEFF4-8BD3-41CB-A8BD-6FD7C7BF92CF (resized).jpeg6F1B67D9-732F-4973-9685-0B8F30337206 (resized).jpeg6F1B67D9-732F-4973-9685-0B8F30337206 (resized).jpegB7030A79-DEFD-4A26-AD2A-F91615F032ED (resized).jpegB7030A79-DEFD-4A26-AD2A-F91615F032ED (resized).jpegB8711AF4-CF18-4F27-82B6-8D304640AE66 (resized).jpegB8711AF4-CF18-4F27-82B6-8D304640AE66 (resized).jpeg
#2836 4 years ago

Already set aside.

#2837 4 years ago

applejuice
Since we are talking about a clock...
Can we get a NTP setting to specify an NTP server so the machine can autosync to the date/time of a server?

#2838 4 years ago

just for the records-could not find a post with that error message:

was having issues when updating my RFM. Error message on the P2000 updater was: "cannot connect on com1"
Finally, after checking connectors and settings on my PC the culprit was inside the original PC: the serial DSUB9 port on the side was internally connected on the wrong port -make sure it is connected to COM1 on the motherboard !
Update went well using win XP pro and the existing serial port.

I luckily found this solution by watching a random P2k update video and the guy was having the same issue...pure luck...I would have wasted lot´s of time...

Finally with V2.1 installed everything is prepared for the shaker to be built and implemented

#2839 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

was having issues when updating my RFM. Error message on the P2000 updater was: "cannot connect on com1"
Finally, after checking connectors and settings on my PC the culprit was inside the original PC: the serial DSUB9 port on the side was internally connected on the wrong port -make sure it is connected to COM1 on the motherboard !
I luckily found this solution by watching a random P2k update video and the guy was having the same issue...pure luck...I would have wasted lot´s of time...
Finally with V2.1 installed everything is prepared for the shaker to be built and implemented

Common problem with original pin2k rfm computers. Many of them shipped with the comm port cables (inside the computer box) on the wrong header or reversed. I've seen it many many times over the years. Always check this BEFORE trying to update for the first time

#2840 4 years ago

Lowered the price on my HUO RFM if you happen to know someone looking to get one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/79048

#2841 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

I have the same problem. Does the COM connection look valid on my photo? Is it possible to just update the computer without attaching the playfield (I just have access to computer and not the whole machine at the moment)?

IMG_5974.JPGIMG_5974.JPG
#2842 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

I have the same problem. Does the COM connection look valid on my photo? Is it possible to just update the computer without attaching the playfield (I just have access to computer and not the whole machine at the moment)?[quoted image]

Orientation looks ok. I do not remember wich port is com1. It was labelled on the Motherboard. Mine looks like that

20190529_171112 (resized).jpg20190529_171112 (resized).jpg
#2843 4 years ago

Thank you for the verification. The upper (connected port) is COM1 and the lower one is COM2. I ll try updating again with the playfield present.

#2844 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Thank you for the verification. The upper (connected port) is COM1 and the lower one is COM2. I ll try updating again with the playfield present.

What operating system are you using to update?

#2845 4 years ago

Folks that are running pinbox or newcore... what PC hardware are you running? I want to keep my CRT so I need to run something with a early model ATI card so it will run at 15 kHz... but beyond that does it matter much?

#2846 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Folks that are running pinbox or newcore... what PC hardware are you running? I want to keep my CRT so I need to run something with a early model ATI card so it will run at 15 kHz... but beyond that does it matter much?

Something I’ve been researching as well. I found this website that might Have some answers. https://www.retrorgb.com/rgbvideocard.html

#2847 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I've built several systems with ATI Radeon HD 5450s for 15kHz output.

#2848 4 years ago

I've built several systems with ATI Radeon HD 5450s for 15kHz output.

Excellent that’s the one I have. What CPU family? Something dual core or better I assume. I don’t mind picking up an older PC but would like to get something that isn’t too old.

Thanks!

#2849 4 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

What operating system are you using to update?

Windows 98SE on an old Toshiba Satellite pro 4200.

#2850 4 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Windows 98SE on an old Toshiba Satellite pro 4200.

Ok, just FYI you can update without having to use the update manager. I just did a tutorial on this the other day. If you run into issues it may help out and you can use newer OS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,702 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/57?hl=zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.