VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 133.
#2751 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Eddy sensors? Do you mean the magnetic reed switches These go bad all the time! Wish there was a new supply of them but they are unobtanium

If we get a list of users together that would like to get new switches made- I could make them.

I would need to build a mold for my smaller (5 ton) injection molder.

Just a thought.

#2752 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

If we get a list of users together that would like to get new switches made- I could make them.
I would need to build a mold for my smaller (5 ton) injection molder.
Just a thought.

I'd suggest starting a new thread on the topic with a number of how many people you might need, and see how many people are interested or how quickly the list fills up.

#2753 4 years ago

Not to give too much away (it's early on for us) - but if everyone can be a bit patient - we've begun making the magnetic reed switches - they are lighter, smaller (in depth) and more sensitive than the originals....we are getting parts together to begin the build (we've only crafted prototypes)...the originals were all hand built and we will have to take the same route...hit me up on private mail so I can begin to get a count....thanks!

#2754 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Not to give too much away (it's early on for us) - but if everyone can be a bit patient - we've begun making the magnetic reed switches - they are lighter, smaller (in depth) and more sensitive than the originals....we are getting parts together to begin the build (we've only crafted prototypes)...the originals were all hand built and we will have to take the same route...hit me up on private mail so I can begin to get a count....thanks!

Additive manufacturing or are you molding it?

#2755 4 years ago

Additive...but shoot me a PM - we'd like to get molded bodies instead - sounds like you could be our man on that...we have the design already.

#2756 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

3 things. 1) Buy a shaker & knocker loom from me (there is a queue) . 2) Buy a std stern shaker motor (sam variety best). 3) if you want a real knocker to, then order a DE style one, or I can supply a parts list to use for all wms parts.

Is this the recommended shaker motor that you mean?
https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/stern-shaker-motor-kit-for-sam-system-games (also known as Rev B)

Just to be sure

#2757 4 years ago
Quoted from CommissarisRex:

Is this the recommended shaker motor that you mean?
https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/stern-shaker-motor-kit-for-sam-system-games (also known as Rev B)
Just to be sure

Yep

#2758 4 years ago

Trying to understand how RFM was originally keyed...

This machine has 4 locks... 2 on head and 2 on the front.

As far as like-keyed locks.... Is it correct that the head had locks that were keyed alike, the coin door had its own key and the field service lock had its own key?

that's my guess... mine isn't factory for sure... any help would be appreciated.

#2759 4 years ago

yep, 3 keys, 4 locks
1 (double bit key) for the head (to remove the translite and access computer) and remove the back door panel (and access the monitor)
1 (single bit key) that allowed a tech to remove the playfield glass and service the machine but not to gain access to the coin box (this is the key hole on the front left)
1 (double bit key) to open the coin door

#2760 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yep, 3 keys, 4 locks
1 (double bit key) for the head (to remove the translite and access computer) and remove the back door panel (and access the monitor)
1 (single bit key) that allowed a tech to remove the playfield glass and service the machine but not to gain access to the coin box (this is the key hole on the front left)
1 (double bit key) to open the coin door

Thank You !!!!

#2761 4 years ago

This is one of the funnest pins out there. Super high on the entertainment factor. I simply enjoy this machine every single time I play it. I like being able to get through the modes of the game without pulling my hair(what little I have left) out. Fun fun fun plain and simple.

I wasn’t entirely sure I would invest in a full restoration of this game ... but now I’m all in. It’s getting a full treatment... and it’s staying in my collection indefinitely.

#2762 4 years ago

I know most people in this group already have a RFM but if you know someone looking I am selling my HUO machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/79048

#2763 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I know most people in this group already have a RFM but if you know someone looking I am selling my HUO machine.

Such a drag! I just bought a fixer-upper and I would have snagged this in a blink of an eye.

#2764 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Such a drag! I just bought a fixer-upper and I would have snagged this in a blink of an eye.

Quoted from Ricochet:

Ditto. That playfield is a dream.

Maybe I sell mine and buy this one.

#2765 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Damn. I wish this was closer.

#2766 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Sale that and buy mine

Quoted from dashv:

Maybe I sell mine and buy this one.

I do that all the time. On my 5th Getaway, 3rd Fish Tales, and 2nd Twilight Zone. Each replacement was an upgrade. Now if I could only find a HUO Dr. Who or BSD I would be set.

#2767 4 years ago

I'm totally digging the 2.10 upgrade!

I've put on about thirty- two player games and still haven't been awarded payback yet. Am I missing something?

#2768 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

I've put on about thirty- two player games and still haven't
been awarded payback yet. Am I missing something?

Martian attack and multiball completed . Sol at 2 or more and then shoot sol when lit

It’s beta right now so won’t be free from bugs and the graphics won’t be final either but you can get an idea of it. Homage to t2

#2769 4 years ago

Opinions on mirror blades vs. artwork blades? I've never seen mirror blades on a pin 2000... artwork blades look decent to me. Not sure what to do... if any when I get this machine restored.

#2770 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Opinions on mirror blades vs. artwork blades? I've never seen mirror blades on a pin 2000... artwork blades look decent to me. Not sure what to do... if any when I get this machine restored.

I'd say none. To me restoration is bringing something back to original factory condition, and the original game did not have blades. I also prefer the focus to be on the playfield, generally black sides force the eyes on the playfield. Blades are an overkill to me.

#2771 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I'd say none. To me restoration is bringing something back to original factory condition, and the original game did not have blades. I also prefer the focus to be on the playfield, generally black sides force the eyes on the playfield. Blades are an overkill to me.

Yeah ... I’m generally not in favor of heavy aesthetic changes ... so I agree with you on this for the most part. However, every once in a while a mod works perfectly and has a positive effect on the overall machine. It’s certainly easy to hold off on committing to something like this... and I’m kind of meh on it anyway.

#2772 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

By this logic only modern LE models should have art blades. Stern Pros dont come with them but they sure make an improvement.
Some machines look good with them, some are better without. For me a would usually say no blades in williams era games but both attack from mars and revenge from mars look pretty cool with the saucers destroying the city. I've never been a big mirror blades guy. I like to focus on playing without reflections distracting my peripheral vision.
I vote for art blades on this one

#2773 4 years ago

Art blades on this one aren't too bad. And counter to the opinion of "usually no blades in Williams era games" is that they weren't even conceived of during this era of manufacture. Or LCDs.

I don't think I would ever try mirrors on these. The playfield would trash these pretty easily since there's not alot of forgiveness with the ramp so close to the side and I'm not sure if it would effect the image projected on to the playfield.

#2774 4 years ago
Quoted from Moto_bone:

I've put on about thirty- two player games and still haven't
been awarded payback yet. Am I missing something?

There's an upgrade?

#2775 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

There's an upgrade?

@TBatti

It's great! 2nd item from the top of the page at the link below.
https://mypinballs.com/

#2776 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

TBatti
It's great! 2nd item from the top of the page at the link below.
https://mypinballs.com/

Is this safe? What changed?

#2778 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Safe?? Eh? Stay on v1.5 if you want to..

But if you want to know what I did so far see here

https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp

This list all my changes since v2.0.

#2779 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Safe? Mostly. It did set one of my games on fire, but I was able to flip it on eBay..

#2780 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Safe? Mostly. It did set one of my games on fire, but I was able to flip it on eBay..

It turned me into a Newt........i got better

#2781 4 years ago

Not sure jokes are a good idea. I don't want people emailing me worrying...

#2782 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I'll back you up, chief. At least in my experience with Pinbox/Nucore - completely safe, and game enhancing. Even if it wasn't, It can be reversed by reinstalling original software. As I understand it, if you attempt the upgrade with the original game Prism card and it fails you still have an out. The games original startup hard-coded software takes over:

"When you update the game, you are putting a new version of game code
and some sound data and even some image data into the Flash part on
the board. This "overlays" the equivalent section of the ROM, so it's
what gets used instead when the game boots and runs. But the ROM
version is always there as a failsafe fallback. If an update goes
bad, or the Flash somehow loses its mind on location and gets
scrambled, or whatever, the boot process will see that it is corrupt
and not use it as an overlay, instead using what was originally in the
ROMs. Thus the game will not die, will not magically be on free play,
or any other really bad problem in a location environment. And it
will still boot so you can get to the update mode and re-Flash it.
From memory (no pun intended) I believe the ROM space is 64MB, and
the Flash part overlays 4MB of that."
Duncan

#2783 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

My sincere apologies for the levity.

The updates have not caused any harm to the 2 x Nucore, 2 x PinBox & 4 x original hardware I've personally installed them on. Additionally, the feedback from PUB cards buyers has all been positive.

As outlined by by @wayout440, the manufacturer had to put a failsafe in because they know anything can happen when on route.

#2784 4 years ago

This game was designed for completely safe software updating through the front.

#2785 4 years ago

I’m in the process of re-CRT-ing my RFM...

What was used for the bezel around the screen? Was it just cut cardboard ????

Thanks for your help!

#2786 4 years ago

Wire nuts really turn my crank! At one point I think the person who installed the LED tube cut the power to the audio amp thinking that they were splicing into the AC. Then once they figured that was wrong they just wire nutted it back together... then hacked the other side of the AC molex connector and wire nutted the lamp in. I know there are a lot worse things that people do... but this is some basic stuff here. Even IF you’re not prepared to make a molex pigtail... use some solder and heat shrink tubing!

78219243-57B8-4BB3-B7C4-7C491908D688 (resized).jpeg78219243-57B8-4BB3-B7C4-7C491908D688 (resized).jpeg
#2787 4 years ago

I’m having an issue where there’s constant static noise out my left channel. I’ve swapped out the amp IC, checked for cold solder joints, and swapped out the pc power supply. Is it possibly a bad prism card?

Any other suggestions on what I could look at?

#2788 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I’m in the process of re-CRT-ing my RFM...
What was used for the bezel around the screen? Was it just cut cardboard ????
Thanks for your help!

From what I’ve seen, there’s no cardboard - just a wood cutout that the monitor fits through.

#2789 4 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

From what I’ve seen, there’s no cardboard - just a wood cutout that the monitor fits through.

Thank you... I’ve never seen one in factory condition so I’ve no clue.

#2790 4 years ago

Hey gents....I've finally joined the club...picked up an HUO RFM last night......

To answer the the 'safe' question - I've already upgraded a friends to v2.1 (I'll be doing mine soon) - he has 32mb RAM - original hardware - no issues...

And finally - thanks for the inquiry into the MRS remakes....I should finish up the first 25 this weekend....I've got to admit - it is labor intensive as they have to be built by hand....so we'll see how this all turns out......

20190517_195327 (resized).jpg20190517_195327 (resized).jpg
#2791 4 years ago

My sincere apologies for the levity.
The updates have not caused any harm to the 2 x Nucore, 2 x PinBox & 4 x original hardware I've personally installed them on. Additionally, the feedback from PUB cards buyers has all been positive.
As outlined by by wayout440, the manufacturer had to put a failsafe in because they know anything can happen when on route.

I can vouch for WhiskeyTango, the pub cards, and the update.

I installed 2.10 on my original RFM yesterday using a pub card I purchased from him a few days earlier.

It took less than 5 minutes and the machine is running just fine.

In particular, I like that ball saves now automagically launch the ball back into play and the “Round One. FIGHT” dialog added to the Robo Lincoln fight is very fitting.

I also have a pub card that can take me back to 1.5 if I want.

#2792 4 years ago

I don't have the 2.1, but I did get the 2.0 pub card from Whiskey Tango and installation took all of 5 minutes. Completely painless.

#2793 4 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Hey gents....I've finally joined the club...picked up an HUO RFM last night......
To answer the the 'safe' question - I've already upgraded a friends to v2.1 (I'll be doing mine soon) - he has 32mb RAM - original hardware - no issues...
And finally - thanks for the inquiry into the MRS remakes....I should finish up the first 25 this weekend....I've got to admit - it is labor intensive as they have to be built by hand....so we'll see how this all turns out......
[quoted image]

I hope some of those reed switches have my name on them! Look great

#2794 4 years ago

Anyone having issues with the microswitches in the two top lanes? Before I did my teardown, the left one basically never registered. I replace both microswitches with new ones and made sure the wire form had plenty of extension into the lane. If I manually depress them, it registers and I can hear the microswitches click. But during an actual game, they miss registering about 25% of the time. I re-adjusted the wireforms with no luck.

Also, anyone get the pop bumpers with good action. I did a complete and total rebuild on all three, including polishing the metal rings, and they are still clunky. Stronger coils? The ones that are in are to spec.

Thanks.

#2795 4 years ago

Never thought my bumpers are weak, they seem to function as any other pop bumper.

#2796 4 years ago

mine werfer quite weak, or missed a lot, I've tweaked them when i made my rebuilt. Now they catch correctly and bump well as my other pinballs
It was mostly sensitivity adjustment at the switch level.

#2797 4 years ago

Anyone need a sheet of used pf glass? I replaced mine with NOS. This sheet is in good shape with a couple of small scratches at the very top of the mirrored portion. I never noticed during play, but my OCD won't allow it. $50 picked up in Commerce, MI.

#2798 4 years ago

Where is the best place to buy replacement cabinet side art? Are all that say "next gen" the same?

#2799 4 years ago

I've only been able to source "Next Gen" art. The difference is that the Next Gen stuff has a rough, pebbly appearance whereas the original was smooth, glossy. The actual art looks perfect, as I recall, it's just the texture that's different.

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I've only been able to source "Next Gen" art. The difference is that the Next Gen stuff has a rough, pebbly appearance whereas the original was smooth, glossy. The actual art looks perfect, as I recall, it's just the texture that's different.

Yeah I accept that “Next Gen” is what it is and all that’s generally available... I just see them anywhere from 249 (eBay) to 289 (various pinball shops)... a little afraid to save a buck to be sure I’m not getting someone’s own version of a “Next Gen” product.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 85.00
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shelbyville, IN
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.