VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 133.
#2651 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thermal pads were used at one point in the late 90s and early 2000s. There was some debate back then about which was better (pads vs paste). Although, I don't remember thermal pads turning gooey like that. They mostly seemed to dry out.
Personally, I prefer ceramique paste, rather than artic silver. It's not electrically conductive, so if you happen to get it somewhere, it won't short out anything.

Thanks for the input. I used arctic silver because I had it available, but just remembered I also have some other white thermal paste stuff that's been used on transistors in monitor chassis. Maybe that's similar and I didn't even think about using it on a CPU cooler

#2652 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

but just remembered I also have some other white thermal paste stuff that's been used on transistors in monitor chassis

Is it that the stuff that hardens? If so, that isn't the same stuff as the CPU thermal paste.

#2653 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is it that the stuff that hardens? If so, that isn't the same stuff as the CPU thermal paste.

No, it’s not supposed to harden....

#2654 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's this stuff, I am thinking it doesn't harden because it's grease

IMG_20190416_191440594 (resized).jpgIMG_20190416_191440594 (resized).jpg
#2655 4 years ago

I am getting a RFM next week. I have a question about the martian eyes on this one (the martian on playfield above flippers). They are typically red on RFM, but on this machine they are just white. Any ideas? I know that the picture quality is not the greatest, but I do not want to pester the seller for more pics.

RFM1.JPGRFM1.JPG
#2656 4 years ago

the eyes are red lenses with a pair of #44 bulbs underneath. I wonder if the previous owner didn't like the red glowing eyes and covered them up with a decal or something to the effect

#2657 4 years ago

rfm_v210_update_splash (resized).jpgrfm_v210_update_splash (resized).jpg

Visit https://mypinballs.com

Update notes: https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp

Please consider donating if you like this software. Donations help support this and our other many pinball projects.

Happy Easter

#2658 4 years ago

Thx!

#2659 4 years ago

Yes thanks very much

#2660 4 years ago

Installed without a hitch. Your version is very polished and I did not see any bugs atm. The hurry up is good but every now and then it covers a graphic that is needed to complete a mode but isn't a big issue.

Didn't get to see payback time and hypno beam isn't a given mode the second time you get the sol. In fact I didn't get hypno in the six games I played. I do like the add a ball to multiball modes

#2661 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Installed without a hitch. Your version is very polished and I did not see any bugs atm. The hurry up is good but every now and then it covers a graphic that is needed to complete a mode but isn't a big issue.
Didn't get to see payback time and hypno beam isn't a given mode the second time you get the sol. In fact I didn't get hypno in the six games I played. I do like the add a ball to multiball modes

I won't go into the amount of hours spent, but glad you like it. (Thanks for the hurry up note, i will look at this). As mentioned before, RFM is one of my fav games right back to when it was released. I've owned one (not the same one) almost half my life. We were lucky enough to have one as kids in our family home from almost new To work on updates is a great privilege and i want to do it justice

As for hypnobeam award, its the 3rd time in the sol hole. This is forced by the software as it was when released. I think williams would not have left it this way if they had more time to work on it. I have ideas to improve the logic a little at the sol so it only awards hb after some other things are complete as well as 2 visits to the sol. But thats for the future. Hb itself should be more fun now to generally. See the update notes. Enjoy.

#2662 4 years ago

Great work. How to get a shaker to work or where to order one?

Greetings Maik

#2663 4 years ago
Quoted from retroworld2k:

Great work. How to get a shaker to work or where to order one?
Greetings Maik

3 things. 1) Buy a shaker & knocker loom from me (there is a queue) . 2) Buy a std stern shaker motor (sam variety best). 3) if you want a real knocker to, then order a DE style one, or I can supply a parts list to use for all wms parts.

#2664 4 years ago

Thx for the information. Maybe you can put me and a friend for the shaker & knocker loom on the queue.

#2665 4 years ago

Applejuice, can you describe the loom si that i can make one by myself ?
Do you have a diagram?
Thanks

#2666 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]
Please consider donating if you like this software. Donations help support this and our other many pinball projects.
Happy Easter

YAYYYYYYY!!!!!

Thank you for all your great work!

#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Happy Easter

Updated, and donated! Keep up the good work!
If you have any tech details for the DIY crowd on how to hook up the shaker (and knocker) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

#2668 4 years ago

played attack mars and no change. I think I've activated all changes including hypno beam and payback time. payback looks interesting but only got one shot off and I could see what it is all about. Hopefully next time I can get a few more hits going

#2669 4 years ago
Quoted from retroworld2k:Thx for the information. Maybe you can put me and a friend for the shaker & knocker loom on the queue.

We are three Friends here in the City Cologne which own an RFM and love your work.

Really great Job which raise the fun bar very much on this fantastic Pinball.

Pls put me also in the Queue for the Shaker (so 3Sets) thx.

User Retroworld2k and me will order together to save Shipping cost.

#2670 4 years ago

Updated today, first tile no issues. Played 2 games and almost got to attack mars, was one saucer light short. Great update! Now I just need to get a knocker so I can get rid of the horrible static squeal on extra ball and match

#2671 4 years ago

Ups yes, forgot one Please 3 if possible. Thx.

Quoted from moTiv8:

We are three Friends here in the City Cologne which own an RFM and love your work.
Really great Job which raise the fun bar very much on this fantastic Pinball.
Pls put me also in the Queue for the Shaker (so 3Sets) thx.
User Retroworld2k and me will order together to save Shipping cost.

#2672 4 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Updated today, first tile no issues. Played 2 games and almost got to attack mars, was one saucer light short. Great update! Now I just need to get a knocker so I can get rid of the horrible static squeal on extra ball and match

I've updated as well. Great stuff! NICE graphics improvements...I'll be looking into the knocker, and possibly the shaker later.

#2673 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

3 things. 1) Buy a shaker & knocker loom from me (there is a queue) . 2) Buy a std stern shaker motor (sam variety best). 3) if you want a real knocker to, then order a DE style one, or I can supply a parts list to use for all wms parts.

applejuice Will this loom be wired for the light up martians? The two I have now are just wired into the GI.

#2674 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

applejuice Will this loom be wired for the light up martians? The two I have now are just wired into the GI.

No, this is a loom for adding a real shaker and knocker only. These are both cabinet devices not playfield ones

My code work to add properly controlled Martian eyes will just work from the regular playfield lamp matrix. This is not implemented yet though other than lamp test

#2675 4 years ago

Shaker/Knocker loom update:

I am in talks with a few manufacturers here in the uk to see if its viable to get a bulk lot made. Making them by hand is very time consuming, slow and tedious!!! Hopefully it pans out and then i will have a nice quick despatch supply of them Current price is £25 plus postage, but that may change.

#2676 4 years ago

OK, any plans to release the wiring for hobbyist ?

#2677 4 years ago

Thrilled to be joining the club today. I love this theme .... and this pin! I'm going to use and enjoy the game for a while but I will be doing a full restoration of it at some point. It will be one of my keepers!

#2678 4 years ago

Applejuice,
Please contact me via PM. I have a contact which can have these made cheaply.
I'm happy to help out if you'd like.

#2679 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Thrilled to be joining the club today. I love this theme .... and this pin! I'm going to use and enjoy the game for a while but I will be doing a full restoration of it at some point. It will be one of my keepers!

Welcome aboard. Just remember that Pinballsidemirrors has mirror side blades for the game if you want them.

#2680 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Applejuice,
Please contact me via PM. I have a contact which can have these made cheaply.
I'm happy to help out if you'd like.

That sounds awesome - cheap and stateside. I was gonna pm request the shaker loom but this makes sense if it can help drive down the cost or help applejuice more. I installed 2.1 on a original rfm last nite and love it!
Since things had to be removed from the official game code to make the changes - would it be possible to run additional code from a flash drive? I’m clueless but curious.

#2681 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome aboard. Just remember that Pinballsidemirrors has mirror side blades for the game if you want them.

Thanks! I'll check them out. There are a few things I need to do... it has a widescreen VGA LCD with the converter... it works fine but I'm anxious to convert it back to CRT. Cabinet has some scars... so I'm planning on refinishing it at some point. Those things will have to wait because I'm going to enjoy it for a while first!

#2682 4 years ago

I don't think it's been suggested; But, I am *not* trying to take business from @Applejuice... my goal is simply to support him in his endeavor as I think the work he's doing for RFM is very awesome. Regardless of what he decides; I'll be buying the knocker loom from him to support his work on the game software. It's well deserved.

I have some experience making wiring harnesses for projects like my Laser mods for Stern Star Trek.. so I'm happy to help him find a source if it helps him avoid crimping these darn things by hand.

#2683 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Thanks! I'll check them out. There are a few things I need to do... it has a widescreen VGA LCD with the converter... it works fine but I'm anxious to convert it back to CRT. Cabinet has some scars... so I'm planning on refinishing it at some point. Those things will have to wait because I'm going to enjoy it for a while first!

Play away.

#2684 4 years ago

Question... regarding replacement cabinet artwork. There are several sources around the ether... are these all created equal? Are there particular vendors to avoid (other than the "I can print that for you guys")...

Looking to pick up a set for future restoration of my game.

Thanks!

#2685 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I don't think it's been suggested; But, I am *not* trying to take business from Applejuice... my goal is simply to support him in his endeavor as I think the work he's doing for RFM is very awesome. Regardless of what he decides; I'll be buying the knocker loom from him to support his work on the game software. It's well deserved.
I have some experience making wiring harnesses for projects like my Laser mods for Stern Star Trek.. so I'm happy to help him find a source if it helps him avoid crimping these darn things by hand.

I'm sure he appreciates your help.

#2686 4 years ago

Likely going to be listing my HUO RFM in the near future. Need to downsize so unfortunately a few games have to go. I'll post it here once I get some pics incase anyone is interested.

#2687 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Shaker/Knocker loom update:
I am in talks with a few manufacturers here in the uk to see if its viable to get a bulk lot made. Making them by hand is very time consuming, slow and tedious!!! Hopefully it pans out and then i will have a nice quick despatch supply of them Current price is £25 plus postage, but that may change.

Quoted from Zitt:

I don't think it's been suggested; But, I am *not* trying to take business from Applejuice... my goal is simply to support him in his endeavor as I think the work he's doing for RFM is very awesome. Regardless of what he decides; I'll be buying the knocker loom from him to support his work on the game software. It's well deserved.

As mentioned i am in talks with 3 companies here in the uk now to get looms made. If you buy a loom from me then you are supporting the project aswell as upgrading your game So the cost will not go down, but i am hopefull it wont go up either. If there is long term demand then we could work out a way for somewhere to supply them state side to lower the postage cost part of it, but that is far off yet. Stay tuned.

#2688 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

No, this is a loom for adding a real shaker and knocker only. These are both cabinet devices not playfield ones
My code work to add properly controlled Martian eyes will just work from the regular playfield lamp matrix. This is not implemented yet though other than lamp test

Good to know. I'm assuming this would involve moving them from the GI to specific output on the matrix.

#2689 4 years ago

Good to know. I'm assuming this would involve moving them from the GI to specific output on the matrix.

There is no GI on P2K... they are all controlled lamps.

#2690 4 years ago

Shakers and knockers are considered coils, not lamps.

#2691 4 years ago

I've had my machine for a few days... I've never owned this title... I'm so happy to have this machine. It has a ton of charm... and its very fun and funny.

My biggest issue with my machine is that it has been converted to LCD and its a widescreen LCD... it kinda looks like crap, actually there's no kinda about it... it absolutely looks like crap. I'm in the hunt for components to convert it back to CRT... If I can't practically acquire the stuff for that... then I will at least use a VisionPro 19" gaming LCD. This widescreen thing with the CGA->VGA converter is just horrible.

Things this poor machine needs:
1. Full cabinet restoration... this thing has been manhandled. 5 out of 8 bolts are stripped. Cabinet has chips, dings, cracks and scrapes.
2. Revert the LCD conversion. Wiring in the head is a mess... whomever did this used wire nuts and hacked the hell out of everything.
3. New trim, new legs, powder coat trim, and a coin door restoration
4. Replace power supply and CPU heat sink
5. New speaker system

#2692 4 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

There is no GI on P2K... they are all controlled lamps.

I forgot about that, thanks.

Quoted from wayout440:

Shakers and knockers are considered coils, not lamps.

I'm aware and wasn't referring to a coil-driven device.

#2693 4 years ago

can you update an original RFM with prism card and if so are the instructions available

#2694 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

can you update an original RFM with prism card and if so are the instructions available

Yep, if you can update the b/w code follow the same process for this update

#2695 4 years ago

Sorry if this is answered in the thread somewhere. I’m only halfway through the backlog. I also tried reading old release notes but couldn’t find them.

Does the 2.1 software fix the lamp test for LED conversions?

#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I've had my machine for a few days... I've never owned this title... I'm so happy to have this machine. It has a ton of charm... and its very fun and funny.
My biggest issue with my machine is that it has been converted to LCD and its a widescreen LCD... it kinda looks like crap, actually there's no kinda about it... it absolutely looks like crap. I'm in the hunt for components to convert it back to CRT... If I can't practically acquire the stuff for that... then I will at least use a VisionPro 19" gaming LCD. This widescreen thing with the CGA->VGA converter is just horrible.
Things this poor machine needs:
1. Full cabinet restoration... this thing has been manhandled. 5 out of 8 bolts are stripped. Cabinet has chips, dings, cracks and scrapes.
2. Revert the LCD conversion. Wiring in the head is a mess... whomever did this used wire nuts and hacked the hell out of everything.
3. New trim, new legs, powder coat trim, and a coin door restoration
4. Replace power supply and CPU heat sink
5. New speaker system

WOW that's one messed up game. Dod you know it needed all that when you bought it? I hope you got it for a good price.

#2697 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

WOW that's one messed up game. Dod you know it needed all that when you bought it? I hope you got it for a good price.

I did fine... wonderful seller. Really the biggest issue (in terms of work to correct) is cosmetics of the cabinet.... the LCD irritates me but if you are unaware of how its supposed to look then you may be none-the-wiser. I had never seen the LCD conversion before in real life, (only pics and videos)... and knew about it going into it... after a few games... I quickly realized I just need it back to original. Playfield, main cabinet internals are all great.

#2698 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

I did fine... wonderful seller. Really the biggest issue (in terms of work to correct) is cosmetics of the cabinet.... the LCD irritates me but if you are unaware of how its supposed to look then you may be none-the-wiser. I had never seen the LCD conversion before in real life, (only pics and videos)... and knew about it going into it... after a few games... I quickly realized I just need it back to original. Playfield, main cabinet internals are all great.

Keep us informed of your progress.

#2699 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

Sorry if this is answered in the thread somewhere. I’m only halfway through the backlog. I also tried reading old release notes but couldn’t find them.
Does the 2.1 software fix the lamp test for LED conversions?

No!

But I am looking at it. There is a way to just disable the full lamp blown/shorted/open check thing, but its not that straight forward for a setting option addition. Its a build option

#2700 4 years ago

I’m sorry but this cracks me up ... they really did innovate a ton with pinball 2000... yet somehow... they arrived at...
PVC pipe

LOL
D7646620-2039-4D98-B66D-A5DD4F4095C5 (resized).jpegD7646620-2039-4D98-B66D-A5DD4F4095C5 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
7,500 (OBO)
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.