VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 133.
#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Hey applejuice, I'm certainly interested in the real knocker option. I just have a question about the v2.0 simulated knock. The original knock in my stock game was very loud, and the v2.0 is very quiet. Was this by design?, or is there an adjustment or something for this?

Nothing was changed knocker wise in v2.0 . I only started looking at it after requests from people here for a real integration after Christmas and the v2.0 release

#2602 4 years ago

I’ve been wanting to change out my original AT power supply for a while. Changing to a ATX seemed like the way to go, but I’ve been nervous about screwing something up. I thought the AT’s were out of production but stumbled on this listing on EBay... price seemed ok so I bought one. Will post my results when I get it next week... hope I don’t smoke my motherboard.

A20D5E80-0BDE-4217-A1BF-14D373D933C6 (resized).pngA20D5E80-0BDE-4217-A1BF-14D373D933C6 (resized).png
#2603 4 years ago

Also available on Amazon.

300W
https://www.amazon.com/Athena-Power-AP-AT30-Supply-Connector/dp/B0042P2IIG

400W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017O243SQ

I typically use an over wattage PSU when I do arcade builds. Everything runs cooler and less demand is placed on the unit.

#2604 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Also available on Amazon.
300W
amazon.com link »
400W
amazon.com link »
I typically use an over wattage PSU when I do arcade builds. Everything runs cooler and less demand is placed on the unit.

I just ordered the 400W for my RFM I bought last month. Could someone recommend a suitable replacement for the CPU fan?

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

I just ordered the 400W for my RFM I bought last month. Could someone recommend a suitable replacement for the CPU fan?

This is the one I've used recently; It's the right size and moves more air than most.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S1DN66

This also looks good, but I haven't ordered one yet because the feedback is it's pretty loud.
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-3-Pin-6000RPM-Speed/dp/B00KDR0Q22

If you're in the computer to deal with the fan, I would remove the heatsink, clean off all the old thermal product and apply new.

Personally, I've being using thin thermal pads as they have better thermal conductivity than paste, 17W/(mK) vs the 8.5 W/(mK) of Arctic MX-4.

#2606 4 years ago

What you really want to do is replace that dinky little heatsink with something substantial. This is the heatsink/fan combo I put in a couple P2K machines:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150010

Unfortunately, that particular one is no longer available. Cost was $10 + $5 shipping.

35-150-010-10 (resized).jpg35-150-010-10 (resized).jpg

It just barely fit in there though!

#2607 4 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

What you really want to do is replace that dinky little heatsink with something substantial. This is the heatsink/fan combo I put in a couple P2K machines:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150010
Unfortunately, that particular one is no longer available. Cost was $10 + $5 shipping.
[quoted image]
It just barely fit in there though!

FeminineImaginativeHellbender-size_restricted (resized).pngFeminineImaginativeHellbender-size_restricted (resized).png

#2608 4 years ago

The screen brightness has a dim hue. If i smack the head itll flash a quick glimpse of a bright white then go back to dim. Is there an adjustment other than the remote adjustments?

#2609 4 years ago

I’m no monitor guru, but have done cap kits on 3 crt’s and they work wonders. Your issue sounds like loose connections, cold solder joints or bad caps. Id try a cap kit and if that doesn’t fix it try reflowing everything else.

#2610 4 years ago

If anyone need from the CPU fan type like "mattosborn" show I have them,used,100% working.
Have them from copper or aluminium.
Just PM me for the price.

#2611 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

The screen brightness has a dim hue. If i smack the head itll flash a quick glimpse of a bright white then go back to dim. Is there an adjustment other than the remote adjustments?

That could also be a bad solder joint on the brightness control pot (on the monitor chassis board). Easy way to test that is to have someone lightly tap that pot whilst viewing the screen and see what happens.

#2612 4 years ago

My friend's RFM has started turning off, here is the info I have:
1. He said it takes longer than usual lately to boot up, maybe 1 minute now and it didn't used to take that long.
2. When the game finally boots, he can start a game and the ball ejects into the shooter lane as usual. After flipping the ball around for about 10-15 secs the game shuts off completely and does not respond again until it's power cycled.

He still has the original capacitors on the PC motherboard so I will be replacing them as a good practice. What else could cause the complete shutdown? Could it be a bad MOV or something else on the power line? Would a failing AT power supply cause this?

Thanks in advance for any help. I still have a lot to learn about pin2k.

#2613 4 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

1. He said it takes longer than usual lately to boot up, maybe 1 minute now and it didn't used to take that long.
2. When the game finally boots, he can start a game and the ball ejects into the shooter lane as usual. After flipping the ball around for about 10-15 secs the game shuts off completely and does not respond again until it's power cycled.
He still has the original capacitors on the PC motherboard so I will be replacing them as a good practice. What else could cause the complete shutdown? Could it be a bad MOV or something else on the power line? Would a failing AT power supply cause this?

Are the CPU and power supply fans running? Check the 5V line on the power supply. If the voltage dips below 5v, it could definitely shut the game down.

#2614 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Are the CPU and power supply fans running? Check the 5V line on the power supply. If the voltage dips below 5v, it could definitely shut the game down.

Thanks for the reply. He said it turns "completely off" but I will confirm with him that the fans are also not running. If the power supply needs to be replaced is there another drop-in replacement AT power supply? I had some old notes that this one works but it's no longer available :/ https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-Computer-Power-Supply/dp/B00005133U

#2615 4 years ago

I had this on an SWE1 and recapping fixed the problem. It wouldn't hurt to replace the power supply and CPU fan though.

#2616 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply. He said it turns "completely off" but I will confirm with him that the fans are also not running. If the power supply needs to be replaced is there another drop-in replacement AT power supply? I had some old notes that this one works but it's no longer available :/ amazon.com link »

Here are two you can use.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/53#post-4923241

#2619 4 years ago
rfm1 (resized).jpgrfm1 (resized).jpg
#2620 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

So I get his game PC in and see this... I will try only replacing these 5 caps first since they are toast.

IMG_20190411_120139478 (resized).jpgIMG_20190411_120139478 (resized).jpg

#2621 4 years ago

Caps a popin!

#2622 4 years ago

Ouch.
Yeap; good place to start.

#2623 4 years ago

v2.10 is going through final testing. Release coming soon, for easter weekend hopefully

#2624 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

v2.10 is going through final testing. Release coming soon, for easter weekend hopefully

Sweet!

#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Nice!,can't wait to get home and update my RFM.

Thanks!

#2626 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

This is great, I just wish I knew how to do it. I'm happy for all you guys.

#2627 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What do you need to know ?
What is your current setup ? Original PC, nucore ?

#2628 4 years ago

It’s incredible how this game is still developing 20 years after his initial release. After the first custom build release 1.9. I didn’t expect another update. But the even bigger step from 1.9 to 2.0 showed what could have become RFM back in the days. Not only RFM... the entire Pin2K platform has had a lot of potential. Sadly a very short lived platform.
Looking forward to 2.10.

#2629 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Quoted from BENETNATH:

What do you need to know ?
What is your current setup ? Original PC, nucore ?

Original

#2630 4 years ago

So basically, it's just :
- purchase a USB-null cable
- plug the cable
- launch a single command under windows
- wait 20 minutes
that's all !

EDIT : if you need more details, i can do a mini tuto ^^

#2631 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

- plug the cable
- wait 20 minutes
that's all !

My coin-door COM port cable was misconfigured so I needed to flip the com port cable connections in the PC as well.

#2632 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

My pin is original (forgot code version right now) with CRT n stuff and I'm very interested in upgrading, but the thought of screwing something up and bricking it have kept me from taking the leap so far. I don't know anyone with a pub card either so currently I have no way to recover from a bricked game, thus the scare to do it.

A detailed guide on both hardware needed (cables) and software, including an "idiots 101 to upgrade p2k game software" would give me confidence enough to go for it. If you have the time and energy to make such tutorial I would be all over it.

Edit: Is there a video somewhere showing the newer stuff in-play? That spider? mentioned above for example sound fun

#2633 4 years ago

I'll try to do a 'upgrade your pinball for dummy'

#2634 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I don't know anyone with a pub card either so currently I have no way to recover from a bricked game, thus the scare to do it.

I sell updated PUB cards if you're interested. Others on this thread have used them and it's a straightforward process.

Direction for use from Williams:

Using a PUB card to update a Pinball 2000™ Machine

To transfer a Pinball 2000™ update from a PUB card to your machine, follow these simple steps:

1) Turn off the power to the machine.
2) Use Backbox key to remove the backglass.
3) Slide the Logic all the way forward and let it pivot downward.
4) Remove the Logic Box Cover.
5) Make sure the jumper on the PUB card has been removed or is only on 1 of the 2 jumper pins.
6) Insert the PUB card in the open ISA slot in the logic box. The components on the card (on the same side as the written text) should face the rear of the machine.
7) Turn power on. The screen will show the progress of the 2-minute process.
8) Turn power off when indicated on the screen.
9) Remove the card by using the top edge as a handle.
10) Replace Logic Box Cover and secure the Logic Box and Backglass.
11) Turn power on to operate your updated machine.

As for the serial cable method, check out this link on how to do on a modern PC.
https://brianpeek.com/pinball-2000-software-update-with-windows-7-x64/

#2635 4 years ago

The v2.10 update notes are finalised as

Revenge from mars update notes

v2.10 RFM Update

Quick-Shot - Feature lamp effects improved for active hurry up
Quick-Shot - Added timer pausing for when ball enters/exits jets and upper lanes
Quick-Shot - Added timer pausing for when ball enters exits stroke of luck
Quick-Shot - fixed bug where some scenes background graphics were lost after hurry up ended (achieved or not)
Quick-Shot - Added speech for start and shot success
Quick-Shot- Added shaker effects for shot success
Question Mark - Percentage of mode selection updated. Autopsy now most likely mode
Question Mark - Martian Aerobics, renamed Martian Invaders
Capture Multiball - Added sneaky lock acknowledgement (lock from rear when lit avoiding diverter)
Capture Multiball - Added speech for ball locks
Capture Multiball - Added option for add_a_ball
Capture Multiball - Added add a ball display effect/ graphics
Bottom Lanes - added add a ball logic in conjunction with stroke of luck during multi ball play
Stroke of Luck - added add a ball logic during multi ball play (main, martian, bonus etc)
Circle Shots - Missiles are now only collected/fired when there is an unlit missile circle insert on the playfield
Circle Shots - Completing a set (4) missile shots now ups the bonus multiplier by 1 each time (on that ball)
Attract - updated lamp patterns to fix missing saucer rim 9 lamp on main pattern strobe
Attract - updated lamp patterns on searchlight pattern to fix some missing lamps and some in wrong section
Skill Shot - Fixed Super Skill Shot activation which was broken
Outlane - Improved sound and speech calls logic
Bonus Wave - Changed balls in play start to 2
Bonus Wave - Added option for add a ball
Mothership - Changed balls in play start to 3
System - Added shaker hardware control
System - Added knocker hardware control
System - Added adjustments for shaker installed
System - Added Adjustments for knocker installed

Quick-Shot - Added extra sound for mode start
Hypno Beam - Fixed a bug where the new champion score would not be recorded
Hypno Beam - Reworked (lowered) the shot levels now there is a champion score to make destroying multiple beams more interesting and worthwhile
Hypno Beam - Adjusted extra ball award for destroyed beams to 4
Bonus Wave - Disabled add a ball when entering sudden death (1 ball in play)
Capture Multiball -Added shaker effects for super jackpot and regular jackpots
Martian Multiball - Added shaker effects for hitting and destroying large martian
Drive in Demolition - Added shaker effects for nuke
Drive in Demolition - Removed the mode start points (2 mil) seeing as its now startable from game start
Tower Struggle - Added shaker effects for tower collapse
Secret Weapon - Added shaker effects to end scene, upper cut and mothership explode
Alien Abduction - Added shaker effects to ramp shots and destroying centre saucer
Martian Happy Hour - Added shaker effects to martian kills
Big O Beam - Added shaker effects to barn hits
Paris in Peril - Added shaker effects to martian kills and catapult hits
Mars Needs Women - Added shaker effects to console destroy and glass crack
Payback Time - Roughed in first pass of this mode - enabled at sol after main multi ball and martian multi ball played
Secret Weapon - Fixed a bug with the update of martian rejuvenation on the energy bar graphicss

XINA 1.31
Reverted to 3 characters for high scores. Some game specifics are hard coded for 3
Added real knocker option instead of simulated sounds when enabled

Look out for the beta inclusion of payback time and how to start it. Its early for this feature, but I've included it anyway.

#2636 4 years ago

Really Nice !!!

#2637 4 years ago

applejuice I'd like to get your saucer mod and was curious how/if your updated code interacts with it.

#2638 4 years ago

applejuice I'd like to get your saucer mod and was curious how/if your updated code interacts with it.

The rgb saucer mod has its own processor and reads the lamp matrix from the game to set the colour of the saucer lamp patterns to the mode colour in play.

There is no need for the updated game code to do anything extra here.

Order from my site store at https://myPinballs.com

#2639 4 years ago

@applejuice
how far along are you w/ regards to the Shaker Kits / wiring harnesses?
I sent a PM to you on 1/28 (I'll reply again) to put me on the list; but never heard from you.

With V2.1 coming soon... I'd like to start planning.

#2640 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

- plug the cable
- wait 20 minutes
that's all !

Please do!

#2641 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

applejuice
how far along are you w/ regards to the Shaker Kits / wiring harnesses?
I sent a PM to you on 1/28 (I'll reply again) to put me on the list; but never heard from you.
With V2.1 coming soon... I'd like to start planning.

As you might imagine, I’m pretty busy! The shaker looms are In progress but I have a million things to do ( this isn’t my only pinball project) and they are labour intensive to make so take awhile. If you contacted me then you will get one no problem. I won’t take your money either until I have one for you to ship. When they are ready you’ll get a message and invoice

#2642 4 years ago

Great, I understand about those projects. I have at least 4 in the pipeline myself. That doesn't include the damn IncomeTax I'm still working on. Luckily; that'll be done by tomorrow at midnight.

#2643 4 years ago

Anybody seen this before? I noticed the CPU heatsink was only held on by 1 half of the spring clip. Removed the clamp and the heatsink was stuck to the CPU... Looks like someone used foam double sided tape to hold it on! I'm going to remove this and use thermal compound... Unless the pin2k computer is different than every other computer I've built?

IMG_20190415_172410005 (resized).jpgIMG_20190415_172410005 (resized).jpg
#2644 4 years ago

That's a nasty hack. Get that all off and use a thin coat of thermal paste. Yikes.

#2645 4 years ago

yeah... hum... wtf
Double sticky tape; really? might as well have thermal epoxied the heatsink down.

hard to see in that picture - does the heatsink even have both the tab hooks?
Is the socket on the mobo broken? IE does it have both heatsink tabs?

I'd be more than a little worried that there was a reason for the stupid-hack.

#2646 4 years ago

I cleaned off all the sticky stuff and just used some arctic silver. The socket tabs and hooks are all intact and it's holding well.

#2647 4 years ago

Thermal pads were used at one point in the late 90s and early 2000s. There was some debate back then about which was better (pads vs paste). Although, I don't remember thermal pads turning gooey like that. They mostly seemed to dry out.

Personally, I prefer ceramique paste, rather than artic silver. It's not electrically conductive, so if you happen to get it somewhere, it won't short out anything.

#2648 4 years ago

That's a thermal pad indeed, not a stupid hack
No worries to have , it was used and had no major drawbacks.

#2649 4 years ago

Update on the shaker/knocker looms. The first few invoices have gone out to people. I am working through the list of pm's in chronological order, so please check your inbox here on pinside. If i don't get a reply within a few days i will ask the next person on the list etc.

Update on the new software v2.10. The testing has gone well with good feedback and it will be uploaded for download from my site this Friday - 19th April.

https://mypinballs.com

Happy Easter!

#2650 4 years ago

I created a blog post and video with the install of the saucer mod. Looks really good in RFM.

Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2017/06/10/mods-install-mypinballs-led-saucers-for-revenge-from-mars-video/

Video:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
7,500 (OBO)
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.