VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 133.
#2351 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Notes for updating pinbox systems (I will update these notes and add to my site as time allows. Please read carefully)
On a computer of your choice extract the files within the update exe (This is a basic zip file)
There are 6 files:
pin2000_50070_0200_bootdata.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_game.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_im_flsh0.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_pubboot.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_sf.rom
pin2000_50070_0200_symbols.rom
Copy the files to a spare usb drive
On your rfm pinbox computer, Navigate to folder /root/pinbox/update/rfm_15/ (either by logging into lxdm, or from command line, or using ssh/sftp etc)
Delete or move ALL the existing files within this folder
Copy the new files to this folder. Only the files, no additional folders.
Make sure the update.bin file from the original installation of pinbox is deleted/moved. This will be recreated from the new update files
Move/delete rfm_15.nvram* files from /root/pinbox/roms/savedata/ These files store the settings and high score data but may stop the update if not deleted/moved first.
Reboot the rfm computer
Enjoy v2.0 game code on pinbox

Same process also worked on Nucore.

Cheers.

#2353 5 years ago

I've purchased high quality parts from Jim and happy to donate to the cause.

Thanks for your efforts.

#2354 5 years ago

I published a video and web post about the updating of the RFM 2.0 to Pinbox and Nucore.

Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/12/30/tech-upgrading-revenge-from-mars-to-2-0-nucore-and-pinbox-mypinballs-com/

YouTube Video:

RFM TITLE (resized).jpgRFM TITLE (resized).jpg
#2355 5 years ago

Great xmas gift, thanks. So in the end, does it run with 4MB on original hardware, or upgrade to 8 MB is mandatory?

#2356 5 years ago
Quoted from Crrispy:

Great xmas gift, thanks. So in the end, does it run with 4MB on original hardware, or upgrade to 8 MB is mandatory?

It does run with original hardware and factory installed RAM.

#2357 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

It does run with original hardware.

Thanks, I know this, but this does not answer precisely my question, unless you mean that "original" includes the original 4MB. I know it's not a big deal to find an additional 4MB sdram, I even probably have this in a drawer, but for most people, it is way beyond what they can do....

#2358 5 years ago
Quoted from Crrispy:

Thanks, I know this, but this does not answer precisely my question, unless you mean that "original" includes the original 4MB. I know it's not a big deal to find an additional 4MB sdram, I even probably have this in a drawer, but for most people, it is way beyond what they can do....

1.8 and newer require 8MB of RAM.

Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]
*Will run on pinbox and original hardware
*8Mb ram still needed if running original hardware, based on my own tests, as set from v1.8 onwards

#2359 5 years ago

I really don't know why you think it is necessary to upgrade the factory RAM?!

I personally changed it in the XINA sourcecode.

As I mentioned in my previous post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/47#post-4739340

and here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/45#post-4611944

#2360 5 years ago

Yes, I guess my note about >=8mb on original hardware was wrong. I thought it still needed 8mb of ram as per v1.8, because when I originally tested my update work on a spare original system it would not boot with the ram I had installed, but did with a 32mb stick. It turns out this ram was most likely faulty hence me thinking that it still needed 8mb or higher. I wasn't that aware of the change in v1.9 either, or had forgotten and I use pinbox myself for in my own game anyway.

Jees, original machines and their 4mb ram... To be honest I hadn't given it much thought, as its easy to change anyway...

So yes having tested it again today it works the same as with v1.9 and stock 4mb ram. I'll update my notes to reflect this.

...onwards to v2.01

#2361 5 years ago

Tried updating tonight. Flash fails at the end of the game rom “failed to acknowledge packet” error.
Flashing back to 1.5 works successfully. Using original hardware

I have tried different baud rates to no effect.

#2362 5 years ago

Update: update worked but now my scoop mystery solenoid no longer fires in game or test. It’s bye so investigation for another time...

#2363 5 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Update: update worked but now my scoop mystery solenoid no longer fires in game or test. It’s bye so investigation for another time...

You may experience some issues with the new update. I also experienced the Super Jackpot shot in the beginning not working after the update. When you hold the left flipper and push the launch button, the gate should open in the top left corner of the playfield. After the update it is no longer working. I reverted back to code 1.6 and it is working again. I thought it had something to do with my wiring in the cabinet. Seems like it is the update affecting the game.

#2364 5 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

You may experience some issues with the new update. I also experienced the Super Jackpot shot in the beginning not working after the update. When you hold the left flipper and push the launch button, the gate should open in the top left corner of the playfield. After the update it is no longer working. I reverted back to code 1.6 and it is working again. I thought it had something to do with my wiring in the cabinet. Seems like it is the update affecting the game.

I noticed that too. It is a quite easy fix for 2.01...

#2365 5 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Having spoken to this user privately, the issue was resolved by redoing the update process. Seems there are some variables on the updating original hardware. Not surprising because of the amount of ways it can be done and the type of update machine/cable you can have. Seems to work fine though for most people with original hardware. And this user was on 4mb ram

#2366 5 years ago

Sneak at some work in progress on the next update. Do not quote this rev as anything more than work in progress. There are more things I want to add and these notes may change..

V2.10 RFM Update - Work in Progress Only

Quick-Shot - Feature lamp effects improved for active hurry up
Quick-Shot - Added timer pausing for when ball enters/exits jets and upper lanes
Quick-Shot - Added timer pausing for when ball enters exits stroke of luck
Quick-Shot - fixed bug where some scenes background graphics were lost after hurry up ended (achieved or not)
Quick-Shot - Added speech for start and shot success
Question Mark - Percentage of mode selection updated. Autopsy now most likely mode
Question Mark - Martian Aerobics, renamed Martian Invaders
Capture Multiball - Added sneaky lock acknowledgement (lock from rear when lit avoiding diverter)
Circle Shots - Missiles are now only collected/fired when there is an unlit missile circle insert on the playfield
Circle Shots - Completing a set (4) missile shots now ups the bonus multiplier by 1 each time (on that ball)
Attract - updated lamp patterns to fix missing saucer rim 9 lamp on main pattern strobe
Skill Shot - Fixed Super Skill Shot activation which was broken
Outlane - Improved sound and speech calls logic

#2367 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Having spoken to this user privately, the issue was resolved by redoing the update process. Seems there are some variables on the updating original hardware. Not surprising because of the amount of ways it can be done and the type of update machine/cable you can have. Seems to work fine though for most people with original hardware. And this user was on 4mb ram

First, THANK YOU for this amazing Christmas present!

Second, is there any chance you and Jodannar might be willing to share some of the specifics of what caused the issue? I'm on original hardware, and just a little cautious about attempting the upgrade for exactly those reasons.

Thanks!

#2368 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

I'm on original hardware, and just a little cautious about attempting the upgrade for exactly those reasons.
Thanks!

Don't be scared of updating the machine. I did up and downgrade my machine multiple times. And yes things go wrong. Accidentally pulled the wrong cable... Windows started updating itself halfway through... Update failed for unknown reason...
BUT the game will automatically restore it to it default code it shipped with. So if things dont work or go wrong. You can simply retry the update.

I am on original hardware myself 4MB Ram

#2369 5 years ago

I reran the update and reseated all my coil plugs to be sure afterwards. I ran the update using the fupdate utility, at the slowest baud rate of 9600 and it was successful with no gameplay anomalies. I did have the update fail once, and rollback successfully when using a higher baud rate on original hardware.
Extensive ya testing last night and there are no issues with updating original hardware on 4mb original stock ram

#2370 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Don't be scared of updating the machine. I did up and downgrade my machine multiple times. And yes things go wrong. Accidentally pulled the wrong cable... Windows started updating itself halfway through... Update failed for unknown reason...
BUT the game will automatically restore it to it default code it shipped with. So if things dont work or go wrong. You can simply retry the update.
I am on original hardware myself 4MB Ram

Quoted from Jodannar:

I reran the update and reseated all my coil plugs to be sure afterwards. I ran the update using the fupdate utility, at the slowest baud rate of 9600 and it was successful with no gameplay anomalies. I did have the update fail once, and rollback successfully when using a higher baud rate on original hardware.
Extensive ya testing last night and there are no issues with updating original hardware on 4mb original stock ram

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance, this will be tonight's project. I'll let you all know how it goes!

#2371 5 years ago

Well, it took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I appear to have succeeded!

What didn't work:

-Running fupdate.exe on Windows 10 with the old Cygwin files. It completely failed to launch.

-Installing Windows 2000 in a virtual machine using VMware Player under Ubuntu. In full disclosure, the FTDI-based USB to serial null modem cable that I used does not have drivers for anything older than XP, so that may well have been the roadblock. I was able to get the updater to install and run, but couldn't communicate with the game.

What DID work:

I dug out my old XP home edition install disk, and installed it in another VM under Ubuntu. This worked really well. I was able to use the updater, although when I tried it at 115200 bps, the game reset within a couple of seconds of showing the "flashing" screen. In what was probably an overabundance of caution, I set the speed back to 19200 and started the update. It took about 45 minutes, but seems to have worked just about perfectly. Honestly, I was so relieved that it worked after hours of installing all kinds of variants of Windows that I can't stand, that I'm not sure if I really thoroughly tested all the features out. I know for sure that it is a serious improvement in fun over version 1.5! I think I'll go do that right now.

Again, thank you very much applejuice for putting all the time and effort into this update, it's greatly appreciated!

2019-01-03 01.11.04 (resized).jpg2019-01-03 01.11.04 (resized).jpg2019-01-03 01.13.20 (resized).jpg2019-01-03 01.13.20 (resized).jpg2019-01-03 01.13.44 (resized).jpg2019-01-03 01.13.44 (resized).jpg
#2372 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Well, it took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I appear to have succeeded!
What didn’t work:
-Installing Windows 2000 in a virtual machine using VMware Player under Ubuntu.

Well it seems like software can cause all kinds of issues.
I have installed Windows 2000 Professional(SP3) in VirtualBox on Mac. Also using a usb to serial cable wich drivers were recommended for Win XP. But they did work in Win 2000 as well.
The code update worked first try at full speed. It took about 10 minutes to complete.

D3D9F451-1EE2-41AF-8A4F-3C0D39CD2986.jpegD3D9F451-1EE2-41AF-8A4F-3C0D39CD2986.jpeg
#2373 5 years ago

I wish I had someone local that could do all this for me, I'm totally lost.

#2374 5 years ago

is this an update that could be loaded onto a PUB card to make it easier for us non computer people

#2375 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

is this an update that could be loaded onto a PUB card to make it easier for us non computer people

great question. if a pub card can be updated, it might take some of the guess work out of the update

#2376 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

What's a Pub card

#2377 5 years ago

it is a software loaded update card that you simply turn your game off, and plug this into the empty slot of the original computer mother board, and turn the machine back on and it updates the computer software revision level

45_001045_8 (resized).jpg45_001045_8 (resized).jpg
#2378 5 years ago
Quoted from kdunbar:

What's a Pub card

A PCB card that you can insert into the ISA slot of the motherboard. It can automatically install code updates.

http://www.silverball.net/images_martin/tech_pub_card.jpg

#2379 5 years ago

So, it looks like I don't have the super skill shot either. Was there any particular "magic bullet" that got it working for you who have it?

#2380 5 years ago

Super skill shot seems to be there in some modes and not in others.

#2381 5 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Super skill shot seems to be there in some modes and not in others.

Ah, that complicates things. I'll check again, thank you.

#2382 5 years ago

Super skill shot is broken. It will be fixed according to 2.1 patch notes.

#2383 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Super skill shot is broken. It will be fixed according to 2.1 patch notes.

Then I will enjoy the game without it until it's fixed!

#2384 5 years ago

Some links updated on my site

v2.0 Update Notes (changes etc)

https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp

Pinbox update help guide

https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/update_help.jsp

Donate links on there to should you wish to support this project.

I have a pub card here that i could update then send out for people to use to update then return. Would probably have to have a deposit made first so that it gets sent back when done and ready for the next user. If this is something of interest to you let me know.

Updated working in progress notes for v2.10

V2.10 RFM Update (Work in Progress Only)

Quick-Shot - Added timer pausing for when ball enters/exits jets and upper lanes
Quick-Shot - fixed bug where some scenes background graphics were lost after hurry up ended (achieved or not)
Question Mark - Percentage of mode selection updated. Autopsy now most likely mode
Capture Multiball - Added sneaky lock acknowledgement (lock from rear when lit avoiding diverter)
Capture Multiball - Added speech for ball locks
Capture Multiball - Added option for add_a_ball
Capture Multiball - Added add a ball display effect/ graphics
Bottom Lanes - added add a ball logic in conjunction with stroke of luck during multi ball play
Stroke of Luck - added add a ball logic during multi ball play (main, martian, bonus etc)
Circle Shots - Missiles are now only collected/fired when there is an unlit missile circle insert on the playfield
Circle Shots - Completing a set (4) missile shots now ups the bonus multiplier by 1 each time (on that ball)
Attract - updated lamp patterns to fix missing saucer rim 9 lamp on main pattern strobe

#2385 5 years ago

yes.....once you work out any bugs.......the pub card with deposit would be awesome......or can I send you my pub card for you to update?

#2386 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

yes.....once you work out any bugs.......the pub card with deposit would be awesome......or can I send you my pub card for you to update?

Yes doing it the other way round would work to. Send me a pm

#2387 5 years ago

Pub card with a deposit is a great idea that's how I updated to 1.6 and it was easy for someone with little knowledge and no computer access.

#2388 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Some links updated on my site
v2.0 Update Notes (changes etc)
https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp
Pinbox update help guide
https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/update_help.jsp
Donate links on there to should you wish to support this project.
I have a pub card here that i could update then send out for people to use to update then return. Would probably have to have a deposit made first so that it gets sent back when done and ready for the next user. If this is something of interest to you let me know.
Updated working in progress notes for v2.10
V2.10 RFM Update (Work in Progress Only)
Capture Multiball - Added speech for ball locks
Capture Multiball - Added option for add_a_ball
Capture Multiball - Added add a ball display effect/ graphics
Bottom Lanes - added add a ball logic in conjunction with stroke of luck during multi ball play
Stroke of Luck - added add a ball logic during multi ball play (main, martian, bonus etc)

Should I hold off on using 2.0?

#2390 5 years ago

I have an idea for a hardware mod to add a 5th ball in the trough, that could be enabled in a future update. This would feed nicely into my add a ball updates and give more flexibility with multiballs. I will try to experiment with this sometime soon. 6 ball trough would be the best but there’s not enough spare drives on the 10 way opto board

#2391 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I like that idea cuz I don't know jack about computers but I think I would still need pictures and instructions.

#2392 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I have an idea for a hardware mod to add a 5th ball in the trough, that could be enabled in a future update. This would feed nicely into my add a ball updates and give more flexibility with multiballs. I will try to experiment with this sometime soon. 6 ball trough would be the best but there’s not enough spare drives on the 10 way opto board

any chance we could get a real knocker while your in there, doctor?

#2393 5 years ago

What's the going rate for a complete original computer? I'd like to sell the one I pulled.

#2394 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I like this idea... Like it a lot.

#2395 5 years ago

Some more info on my trough upgrade idea. I've added some new code and options to enable in my software update and have taken the trough apart this afternoon to upgrade the optos installed. The boards are designed for 6 balls. (Stripped the full trough down whilst I was there to)

fullsizeoutput_cdc (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_cdc (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_cdb (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_cdb (resized).jpeg

IMG_3090 (resized).JPGIMG_3090 (resized).JPG

reassembled

IMG_3095 (resized).JPGIMG_3095 (resized).JPGIMG_3094 (resized).JPGIMG_3094 (resized).JPGfullsizeoutput_cda (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_cda (resized).jpeg

Now to add some extra drives for these new optos. Having thought about it some more i really want 6 balls so, for a full 6 ball experience I'm going to need to use 3-opto board from the likes of fish tales etc, as annoyingly there is only 1 spare output on the rfm 's 10-way opto board.

Regarding a real knocker, yes i think this i possible to. I will add some more code to support this, probably from solenoid drive 18. We will need another opt in option in the system settings like for the trough upgrade.

#2396 5 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Some more info on my trough upgrade idea. I've added some new code and options to enable in my software update and have taken the trough apart this afternoon to upgrade the optos installed. The boards are designed for 6 balls. (Stripped the full trough down whilst I was there to)
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]
reassembled
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Now to add some extra drives for these new optos. Having thought about it some more i really want 6 balls so, for a full 6 ball experience I'm going to need to use 3-opto board from the likes of fish tales etc, as annoyingly there is only 1 spare output on the rfm 's 10-way opto board.
Regarding a real knocker, yes i think this i possible to. I will add some more code to support this, probably from solenoid drive 18. We will need another opt in option in the system settings like for the trough upgrade.

Holy smokes, this is going to be AMAZING!

#2397 5 years ago

I like the 6 balls idea, even if that's not really playable
Not possible to use a judge dredd board that uses 6 balls?
Keep it up!

Another point, how hard would it be to localize all texts?

#2398 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Another point, how hard would it be to localize all texts?

Which do you mean (and which language)?

#2399 5 years ago

i would like to translate the pinball to french, as i would place one RFM in hospital for children.
see my project website for more info..

#2400 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

13E4605E-01E9-4F07-9B72-94E56A03369F (resized).jpeg13E4605E-01E9-4F07-9B72-94E56A03369F (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.