VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 133.
#2051 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

So far I am not sure, what problems exactly happen, when this battery gets empty.

The battery on the mobo holds the CMOS mem, so you'll lose CPU date/time....probably will still boot, I've never actually experienced it, but it is just a PC- I don't think there are any special settings in there that are required to make it run. The battery on the Prism would be holding the game settings, so likely everything would default, you'd lose things like the high scores, freeplay settings, # balls etc.... so that's how you know which battery has failed.

#2052 5 years ago
Quoted from wylcot:

That's what I thought.
Both.
Fixing and then Cliffy.

You can also install a Mantis protector, which goes in from underneath and protects the inside edges. The Mantis is heavier metal and will not deform. It is possible to install both the Mantis and Cliffy protectors. I have both on mine.

https://mantispinball.com/product/revenge-from-mars-protector/

#2053 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

More

Yes, sandwiched between the Prism PCI card and its daughterboard. Word of caution, be extremely gently when prying these cards apart! Seen many with the connectors ripped off.

Anyone have a pic of where this is?

#2054 5 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Anyone have a pic of where this is?

prism04 (resized).jpgprism04 (resized).jpg
#2055 5 years ago

be sure to look at the battery type. it's not a CR2032 like what is used in the stern sam games or the battery on the motherboard in your RFM
it's actually a BR2325

#2056 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

You can also install a Mantis protector, which goes in from underneath and protects the inside edges. The Mantis is heavier metal and will not deform. It is possible to install both the Mantis and Cliffy protectors. I have both on mine.
https://mantispinball.com/product/revenge-from-mars-protector/

Wow !
I had no idea this thing existed, and I had never heard of Mantis !
Thanks for that !
Definitely gonna get this (and others for other pins !)

#2057 5 years ago
Quoted from wylcot:

Wow !
I had no idea this thing existed, and I had never heard of Mantis !
Thanks for that !
Definitely gonna get this (and others for other pins !)

the mantis one is the same as what's used in a monster bash. I'm also using both (a cliffy and a mantis) in both my RFM and my MET

#2058 5 years ago

And here I am !
I'm part of this club !!!
IMG_20180615_102550754 (resized).jpgIMG_20180615_102550754 (resized).jpg

#2059 5 years ago

Do my eyes deceive me or is there a hole in the cab mid point just below the rail?

#2060 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Do my eyes deceive me or is there a hole in the cab mid point just below the rail?

hehe. that's one of the bolt holes where the head attaches to the cabinet

#2061 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

hehe. that's one of the bolt holes where the head attaches to the cabinet

Shows how long it's been since i've had the head off my machine, LOL...ummmm continue on, nothing to see here

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from wylcot:

And here I am !
I'm part of this club !!!

Welcome to the club. I forsee new decals in your future.

#2063 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome to the club. I forsee new decals in your future.

Thanks !
I don't see why u'd say that, though

#2064 5 years ago

Welcome to this great club!

#2066 5 years ago

It's cap kit Sunday! Strange how these operators worked.. Someone did some caps on this chassis but in places that didn't really matter much. The ones that were around heat and needed to be replaced they skipped right over them. Can't wait to get it back in and see how it looks. Always a good feeling when you cap out a monitor.

41963617595_ccf5faba13_k (resized).jpg41963617595_ccf5faba13_k (resized).jpg
#2067 5 years ago

That board is too clean... you had to have washed it or something.
I think I recapped everything myself... but noticed something similar.
I think I recall removing a couple of bulged caps on mine.

Just be careful when putting that board back... the neck of the tube is not a handle... neither is the neck board. yes; I'm speaking form experience.

#2068 5 years ago

My wife cracked the neck on my nib crt and all I heard was the sad hiss noise. The crt never saw a power on. So be very careful.

#2069 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That board is too clean... you had to have washed it or something.
I think I recapped everything myself... but noticed something similar.
I think I recall removing a couple of bulged caps on mine.
Just be careful when putting that board back... the neck of the tube is not a handle... neither is the neck board. yes; I'm speaking form experience.

I typically wash the boards with simple green, a brush, blast with the hose, and let them dry in the sun for a few days... but this is the cleanest one I've seen yet! I hardly got dirty capping it no less. This RFM is really clean. It shows 77 plays total and I'm starting to think that's all it had. It was owned by an operator and sat for many years but it's super clean inside. There is pretty much no wear at all on the PF and the PC is even cleaner looking. The caps were original and none were leaking or bulging. I'm always super careful around those necks! They snap easy! That hiss will make you sick!

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

he caps were original and none were leaking or bulging. I'm always super careful around those necks! They snap easy! That hiss will make you sick!

yeah.. 77 plays; wow. I'm jelly.
Mine was taken care of for the most part; I don't understand it's complete history; but much of mine's life was spent in a church here in TX.
The only real problem I've had with mine is some of the rear switches have grown some green slime which I think was related to some of the solder flux used during assembly at Williams.

#2071 5 years ago

Does anyone know anything about version 1.9? I got my hands on a PUB card for this version.

From what I can tell, it was released in November 2017. Supposedly, it has additional call-outs and animations that were present in prototype versions of the software, but didn't make it into the 1.0-1.6 versions that most people are familiar with. However, I have not been able to confirm this since I'm not familiar enough with the game to be able to tell if small things were added or not.

The software was hosted on this site, but looks like the page disappeared about a month ago.

http://pinball-tournament.servegame.com/software/

I noticed it also had a build from February 2018, but I'm not sure if that was supposed to be version 2.0 or a rescued copy of version 0.2 (if it ever existed).

Also, there doesn't appear to be any indication as to who hosts/operates the website. There are players listed, but I don't know if any of them actually worked on the site or software.

http://pinball-tournament.servegame.com/player.html
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngrfm software (resized).pngrfm software (resized).png

#2072 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does anyone know anything about version 1.9? I got my hands on a PUB card for this version.
From what I can tell, it was released in November 2017. Supposedly, it has additional call-outs and animations that were present in prototype versions of the software, but didn't make it into the 1.0-1.6 versions that most people are familiar with.

Where is that information from?

I noticed it also had a build from February 2018, but I'm not sure if that was supposed to be version 2.0 or a rescued copy of version 0.2 (if it ever existed).

That is v0.2, but not for RFM. Note how the game number is 50072 and not 50070. It's Wizard Blocks.

#2073 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Where is that information from?

From the person who sold the PUB card to me. He wasn't able to supply specifics, though.

Quoted from mattosborn:

That is v0.2, but not for RFM. Note how the game number is 50072 and not 50070. It's Wizard Blocks.

Ah, good catch.

#2074 5 years ago

RFM 1.9 isn't the last version but I will try to sum up some changes...

#
# XINA Revision History:
#
# Version 1.22b:
# TCP-Port bug fix.
# Miscellaneous translation fixes.
# Going back to factory system memory of 4MB.
# This version does not need a system memory upgrade anymore!
#
# Version 1.21:
# This version requires 8MB of system memory.
#
# Version 1.19:
# This version of XINA should fix the problem where a booting
# the system with the power driver board disconnected can cause
# a factory reset to occur due to the mismatch of the last country
# dipswitch setting in CMOS vs. the country setting for an open
# power driver board cable.
#

#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from Wizboy:

RFM 1.9 isn't the last version but I will try to sum up some changes...
#
# XINA Revision History:
#
# Version 1.22b:
# TCP-Port bug fix.
# Miscellaneous translation fixes.
# Going back to factory system memory of 4MB.
# This version does not need a system memory upgrade anymore!
#
# Version 1.21:
# This version requires 8MB of system memory.
#
# Version 1.19:
# This version of XINA should fix the problem where a booting
# the system with the power driver board disconnected can cause
# a factory reset to occur due to the mismatch of the last country
# dipswitch setting in CMOS vs. the country setting for an open
# power driver board cable.
#

Those are changes for XINA, the pin 2000 operating system--not RFM directly. XINA has its own set of revisions and version numbers.

But, it's still good info to see--I wasn't able to find version history for XINA beyond 1.19.

#2076 5 years ago

Just to make a post here in case this happens to anyone else on their monitor for troubleshooting down the road. I have a K7300 series monitor (19K7302) in my RFM. The game is low plays and very clean but my monitor looked a little green so I figured I'd do a cap kit and go over the entire monitor as well. Cap kit went well and I re-flowed everything as well. Put it back in the game and I have no high voltage now along with no neck glow and just a slight tick tick tick sound coming from the chassis as it was trying to make high voltage but something wasn't right. Thought to my self the monitor worked fine before so it had to be the cap kit or something I did re-flowing it. Checked my work over and over and it was all perfect. So then I checked the HOT (Horizontal output transformer) and it was dead. Most likely what happened was my caps were dry and the values were dropping off on them so much over the years so this cause proper voltage to go where it hasn't been for years or was just weak before and took out my HOT. So just a simple cap kit can take it all out. I'm going to install a new HOT and I'm also going to toss in a new flyback as well so the thing is rock solid. I just wanted to pass this along to the group!

2SD1398 is the HOT and https://www.arcadeshop.com has them in stock along with flybacks

41098771050_0cda152b6d_z (resized).jpg41098771050_0cda152b6d_z (resized).jpg
#2077 5 years ago

For those replacing the ramp flap, make sure you have rivet gun. It requires two small rivets, I think 1/8"

Also may need a deremel and a punch kit to remove the old rivets.

Just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. It was fairly easy but the rivets were unexpected.

#2078 5 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

For those replacing the ramp flap, make sure you have rivet gun. It requires two small rivets, I think 1/8"
Also may need a deremel and a punch kit to remove the old rivets.
Just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. It was fairly easy but the rivets were unexpected.

That is this weekends project. I picked a flap up recently and was going to look into how to replace it. Looks like I need some tools!

#2079 5 years ago

who has the ramp flaps for purchase?.......mine works but looks bad

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

scroll up I posted it with a link...

#2081 5 years ago
#2082 5 years ago

New to the club

Cab got some wear and scratches but the PF is in nice condition (after I cleaned it, replaced lots of broken plastic and new rubbers).

I think the Pinball 2000 concept is really nice, although a bit "scary" regarding finding spare parts if/when it breaks.

20180621_195042 (resized).jpg20180621_195042 (resized).jpg
#2083 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

New to the club
I think the Pinball 2000 concept is really nice, although a bit "scary" regarding finding spare parts if/when it breaks.

Don't be scared! Most P2K parts are readily available. Original computer parts like the motherboard, prism card and audio amp are not very easy to find, but they can still be found occasionally. Worst case, swap out the computer and run Pinbox if you have to.

#2084 5 years ago

Pinbox is not so scary.
Keep you playfiled glass.This is more scary and expensive than a PC for Pinbox and a LCD.
Both are no more than 100$.

#2085 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

I got some Gun Blue and redid my flap and it looks a lot better. I bought a new one but I need a Rivet press to install it. This looks a lot better than it did.

#2086 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Don't be scared! Most P2K parts are readily available. Original computer parts like the motherboard, prism card and audio amp are not very easy to find, but they can still be found occasionally. Worst case, swap out the computer and run Pinbox if you have to.

I put in Pinbox and a 20” LCD monitor and I think it looks better. You can see more details in the video.

My game was at the Southern Fried show and had a line all day to play it.

#2087 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

New to the club
Cab got some wear and scratches but the PF is in nice condition (after I cleaned it, replaced lots of broken plastic and new rubbers).

Welcome to the club. The glass is available but expensive. The 3d tl is way cool if you want to replace yours.

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I got some Gun Blue and redid my flap and it looks a lot better. I bought a new one but I need a Rivet press to install it. This looks a lot better than it did.

What is Gun Blue..?

Nevermind. I took the initiative to search, and now I now. This post from vid was the most informative:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rust-proofing-metal-parts#post-918597

How involved was using the stuff on your flap?

#2089 5 years ago

if you purchase a ramp flap from planetary it will already come [blued]. it's only the stainless ones from places like pinbits.com that you have to do it yourself. it's kind of a messy process and unless you put it on really even, you're going to notice streaks in it

#2090 5 years ago

Also notice that the stainless ones are NOT the same thickness. If you go too thin, it will give, and in some cases that will cause some airballs.

#2091 5 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

What is Gun Blue..?
Nevermind. I took the initiative to search, and now I now. This post from vid was the most informative:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rust-proofing-metal-parts#post-918597
How involved was using the stuff on your flap?

It's really easy to use. Sand any rust off of the original flap. Then just get some cotton swabs and dip it in the bottle and on the flap. It turned more Black than Blue for me but it looked better. If the flap has dents, you'll still have them. But it looks a lot better than it did for sure. The picture below is under bright lights, it looks better in the game.

2017-12-16_12-38-40_194 (resized).jpeg2017-12-16_12-38-40_194 (resized).jpeg

#2092 5 years ago

So my WG 19k7302 from hell update.... The monitor was working fine in my RFM but as I do with all my monitors I do cap kits in them to freshen them up. The tube was a little soft so I figured a cap kit might give me a little more juice. Took my time, very anal when it comes to cap kits, check the old cap, confirm polarity and value, then do them one at a time making sure no solder bridges or splatter gets anywhere. I've done hundreds of cap kits and never had a working monitor dead when I put them back. This chassis was super clean and I believe the pin has very low "on hours". I put it back in and all I get is click, click, click, with no high voltage or neck glow. So I get a flyback and HOT. Toss those in and still, click click click. These chassis are very tempremental. I guess up next play the game with the chassis plugged in and using a meter checking voltages. Anyone run into anything like this before? I re-flowed all solder joints, took my time made sure nothing is touching and also scrub the board down afterwards and check everything all around. All good and all perfect. This thing is making me nuts! Just curious if anyone else ran into this. I'm ready to just toss parts at this thing! Any information on these chassis are very hard to find on line. I've scanned the schematic in and put it on my site so I don't loose it I'll also share it here for reference.

wellsgardnerwgk7302 (resized).jpgwellsgardnerwgk7302 (resized).jpg
#2093 5 years ago

Fromm's flowchart never fails

Flowchart-WellsGardnerK7000RandyFromm (resized).jpgFlowchart-WellsGardnerK7000RandyFromm (resized).jpg
#2094 5 years ago

Thanks I'll give it a try! I'm at a wall at this point!

#2095 5 years ago

Philly, do you have a CGA source that you can attach to the monitor?
IE so you can eliminate the rfm's Computer as the culprit?

I used Test Pattern Generator to verify my RFM monitor after I did a chassis swap. I know you proably don't need to spend another 89usd... but I figured I'd use mine to debug my Voyager monitor which is in a similar state.

#2096 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Philly, do you have a CGA source that you can attach to the monitor?
IE so you can eliminate the rfm's Computer as the culprit?
I used Test Pattern Generator to verify my RFM monitor after I did a chassis swap. I know you proably don't need to spend another 89usd... but I figured I'd use mine to debug my Voyager monitor which is in a similar state.

I was thinking about doing that but it was working fine before I did the cap kit. I have a NOS 19" monitor in the box still I bought many years ago just before they stopped making/selling them so I think I'm going to toss that in the game just to eliminate that issue but it has crossed my mind to see if it's something with the game. I'm leaning towards a part was weak and the new caps just blew it up on me and the hunting game begins. Thankfully I have a friend who has worked on TV's all his life so I might have to reach out to him to have a look at this thing if I can't get it going.

#2097 5 years ago

I'm not sure this will actually work with my 19K7302 from what I've been reading there was a ton of 7300 series monitors and they are all different in many ways.

#2098 5 years ago

Well i've just played my last few games of RFM......for now, i have sold my machine and soon it will be going off to it's new owner. I just want to thank all the guys who have been most helpful in this thread during the time i have owned this machine, with tech help, mod suggestions and general support, and hopefully i've been able to reciprocate in the same manner. I decided in the last few months that i wanted to buy my first ever NIB machine and Iron Maiden ticks the boxes for me, so not having a big heap of available cash reserves something has to go in the list to part fund it I will still hover around in the thread and keep in touch, hopefully one day i may get hold of another machine. Cheers RFM fans, it's been a blast

#2099 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Well i've just played my last few games of RFM......for now, i have sold my machine and soon it will be going off to it's new owner. I just want to thank all the guys who have been most helpful in this thread during the time i have owned this machine, with tech help, mod suggestions and general support, and hopefully i've been able to reciprocate in the same manner. I decided in the last few months that i wanted to buy my first ever NIB machine and Iron Maiden ticks the boxes for me, so not having a big heap of available cash reserves something has to go in the list to part fund it I will still hover around in the thread and keep in touch, hopefully one day i may get hold of another machine. Cheers RFM fans, it's been a blast

Sorry to see ya go Paul but there are a lot of games out there and life's short. Wish I could afford an IM but it's to much. See ya around Pinside.

#2100 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sorry to see ya go Paul but there are a lot of games out there and life's short. Wish I could afford an IM but it's to much. See ya around Pinside.

Cheers Paul, yeah i'll still be around mate and quite likely i will regret the decision to sell this particular pin, i've had a lot of fun with it over the years. I've always wanted to experience buying a NIB machine, only ever had 2nd hand B/W and Sterns and the timing seems about right to achieve this. I guess part of my reasoning is that if i decide i'm not keen on IMDN further down the track then i will be able to trade back for possibly 2 good B/W's, having already at least played the Pro i kinda doubt that but hey, the future is the future I will definitely still hover around the club and if i feel i can add anything relevant i may still pipe up but most likely it's just a back seat role. As you know there is a wealth of knowledge in most club threads and a sense of community spirit to help out your fellow machine owners that is sometimes lacking in other threads.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shelbyville, IN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.