VBATT to RAM (resized).png
VBATT on main board (resized).png
Battery holder daughter board (resized).png
RFM errors (resized).jpeg
IMG_4498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4497 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0396 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 133.
#1951 6 years ago

I would like to do all of the suggestions above.

I want to repair my old monitor but I have never done so before and do not want to chance completely ruining it if I do not have a suitable replacement. The green is completely dead and the red is now orange.

I would not mind putting in a conversion card and switching to a LCD while still using the original hardware (as long as it stays working).

The thing that worries me most is if my current computer dies, there are not many replacements available and the ones that are available are not cheap. I would like to build a complete new setup to run my game before taking anything apart on the current game to minimize risk.

#1952 6 years ago

You could send an PM to Borygard to see if he works on Pin2K monitors... if so; ship him your monitor for repair.
Would be expensive (to ship); but would be done right if not broken during shipment.
However, I'm remembering he only works on Pin2k CPUs - not the monitors themselves.

Other than that; I can't offer any specific suggestions as I did my chassis swap here to correct for a broken CRT neck. Prior to that; I did my own re-cap and other minor repairs.

#1953 6 years ago
Quoted from acitti:

I would not mind putting in a conversion card and switching to a LCD while still using the original hardware (as long as it stays working).
The thing that worries me most is if my current computer dies, there are not many replacements available and the ones that are available are not cheap. .

P2K computers are not cheap, but you can find a used computer for less than $100 and setup Pinbox on it. That's my backup sitting on a shelf. I just need a proper size LCD monitor in case the CRT dies.

#1954 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

P2K computers are not cheap, but you can find a used computer for less than $100 and setup Pinbox on it.

I already have a computer, but I do not have the pinbox software and a proper guide on how to install it. Not sure which sites to trust to download it.

#1955 6 years ago

Does pinside allow me to just drop a google drive link for pinbox ? Any info guys ?

#1956 6 years ago

I have a SWE1 and a RFM. A few years back I replaced both CRTs with this product and have been very pleased:

http://niemandisplays.com/nieman_video_displays_013.htm

Everything needed was included (except a small power/adapter cable to go to the internal service power port, but it is not 100% necessary) and they were a breeze to install.

You retain the original Pin2K computer, don't have to install any type of adapter for the video signal and no permanent modifications to the cabinet are required.

One of my old CRTs still works and I literally could not give it away after posting an ad for it on a local arcade forum! I also tried donating it to the Replay Museum in Tarpon Springs, Florida and received no response after contacting someone there by phone. Still have it gathering dust in my garage. Anyone want it, come by and get it!

#1957 6 years ago

I understand the idea of keeping these valuable crt for the sake of history.
But at the end, that's mostly an unworking heavy and fragile stuff that stays forever in some basement..

#1958 6 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

I understand the idea of keeping these valuable crt for the sake of history.
But at the end, that's mostly an unworking heavy and fragile stuff that stays forever in some basement..

Sounds like you are talking about my friends giant collection of reel to reel tape recorders.

#1959 6 years ago

Hehe. We all have friends like that, so do we..

#1960 6 years ago
Quoted from tonylo909:

Anyone want it, come by and get it!

Next time I'm in FL I will.

#1961 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Next time I'm in FL I will.

Shoot me a PM when you are near Tampa and I'll give you directions!

1 week later
#1962 5 years ago

Anyone know the part number for this yellow rubber ?
Doesen't say in the manual.

20180326_213105 (resized).jpg20180326_213105 (resized).jpg

#1963 5 years ago

that's an easy one. it's part no. 23-6551
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6551

23-6551 (resized).png23-6551 (resized).png

use this site to search and find parts for the games listed. you can put in as much or little information as you know to pare down your results
http://www.moll.no/pinball/parts/

titanpinball.com has also re-produced these in silicone (and in a variety of colors) which look a lot nicer than that nasty yellow that bally/williams used. it cleans up a lot easier and doesn't get as dirty looking from the coil dust and other dirt inside the machine
it's listed as a 'post sleeve - 3/4" bumper (space shuttle)'

#1964 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

that's an easy one. it's part no. 23-6551
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-6551

use this site to search and find parts for the games listed. you can put in as much or little information as you know to pare down your results
http://www.moll.no/pinball/parts/
titanpinball.com has also re-produced these in silicone (and in a variety of colors) which look a lot nicer than that nasty yellow that bally/williams used. it cleans up a lot easier and doesn't get as dirty looking from the coil dust and other dirt inside the machine
it's listed as a 'post sleeve - 3/4" bumper (space shuttle)'

Thanks for the info JM

#1965 5 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Anyone know the part number for this yellow rubber ?
Doesen't say in the manual.

I used this from Titan, worked great.

B11A4D54-A196-488D-87BD-988F9752F26A (resized).jpegB11A4D54-A196-488D-87BD-988F9752F26A (resized).jpeg

#1966 5 years ago
Quoted from kdunbar:

I used this from Titan, worked great.

Yes.They look great

1 week later
#1967 5 years ago

Hi, i have a dumb question. How many balls when starting hypno beam multiball ?
My RFM give 2 balls but i have impression that it gave more balls a few weeks ago the last time i played with it.

#1968 5 years ago

It begin with 2.
When you catch each ramp add one more ball on each ramp.
If you have 3 in play and one ramp still active and when one ball drain and you left with two in play,after you catch the last active ramp it throw you 2 additional in play,total 4.I liked this mode a lot.

#1969 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

It begin with 2.
If you have 3 in play and one ramp still active and when one ball drain and you left with two in play,after you catch the last active ramp it throw you 2 additional in play,total 4.I liked this mode a lot.

Thanks i understand better now

#1970 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

It begin with 2.

I had no idea how this worked. I was too busy playing to figure out the rules.
Thanks!

1 week later
#1971 5 years ago

Greetings everyone.

I joined the RFM club over this weekend and am loving it. A quick question for you folks so I don’t accidentally break anything. My RFM is using an early generation nucore setup that is running v1.2 of RFM.

I’d like to get that up to 1.6 if possible. So to my question... how do I do that?

Do I need to update nucore itself or can I update RFM through its own menu? My game doesn’t seem to have the parallel port near the key door; so what’s the best way to interface / load this data?

#1972 5 years ago

I miss my RFM. if someone within a couple hours of ATL is interested in selling, please let me know. I currently have a CO1812 I could put towards a trade + cash.

1 week later
#1973 5 years ago
Quoted from Poorpinhead:

Greetings everyone.
I joined the RFM club over this weekend and am loving it. A quick question for you folks so I don’t accidentally break anything. My RFM is using an early generation nucore setup that is running v1.2 of RFM.
I’d like to get that up to 1.6 if possible. So to my question... how do I do that?
Do I need to update nucore itself or can I update RFM through its own menu? My game doesn’t seem to have the parallel port near the key door; so what’s the best way to interface / load this data?

Best to my knowledge it's a serial port for transferring and a null modem cable

#1974 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Best to my knowledge it's a serial port for transferring and a null modem cable

There "should" be, but the person who converted to Nucore may have removed it.
My game has the original computer, but that port has been removed by some previous owner anyway.

#1975 5 years ago

some help is needed there
i want to get the original computer back in my RFM but all ribbons were disconnected from the motherboard and i want to be 100% sure of the connectivity.
Would anyone have pictures of how each connector fits on the motherboard ?

thanks

#1976 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

some help is needed there
i want to get the original computer back in my RFM but all ribbons were disconnected from the motherboard and i want to be 100% sure of the connectivity.
Would anyone have pictures of how each connector fits on the motherboard ?
thanks

In section 3 of the repair guide there is a list of motherboard connections by location, and a physical motherboard diagram.
http://www.pinballsupernova.com/Williams%20Repair%20Guide/Pinball%202000%20Repair%20.pdf

#1977 5 years ago

Thank you wayout440 ; missed this one !

EDIT : sadly, it appears it's not enough.
I would really need pictures.
My layout is different, and there is no information on the orientation of each ribbon. Plus power from ATX power is coming from two cables with same connectors but wiring is different suggesting they should not be switched.

Help please

#1978 5 years ago

I have my SW:EP1 open to install the SMC Ethernet card and hook into Pascal's online tournament server. I can help you with the ribbon cables and the power supply. The power supply is an AT style, not ATX if it has 2 connectors. Just make sure all the black wires meet in the middle

Quick pictures, let me know what else you need. https://imgur.com/a/luuwhFH

Quoted from BENETNATH:

Thank you wayout440 ; missed this one !
EDIT : sadly, it appears it's not enough.
I would really need pictures.
My layout is different, and there is no information on the orientation of each ribbon. Plus power from ATX power is coming from two cables with same connectors but wiring is different suggesting they should not be switched.
Help please

#1979 5 years ago

Hi All!

I'm hoping to join the club in the next few days, or failing that, the next few weeks. In each of the possible cases, I'll be hauling the game in the back of a van. When I've hauled EMs, I've just pulled off the backbox, and when I've hauled newer games, I've folded the backbox down. I'm pretty sure the RFM will fit with the backbox on, but is this a good idea? Is it attached solidly enough, or should I figure on taking it off for transport?

Thanks!

#1980 5 years ago

It's enough strong.Just makr sure everything to be good secured because the glass.

#1981 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

It's enough strong.Just makr sure everything to be good secured because the glass.

Great, thanks!

#1982 5 years ago

MoreBeer you rock. My RFM is alive !!!

#1983 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Hi All!
I'm hoping to join the club in the next few days, or failing that, the next few weeks. In each of the possible cases, I'll be hauling the game in the back of a van. When I've hauled EMs, I've just pulled off the backbox, and when I've hauled newer games, I've folded the backbox down. I'm pretty sure the RFM will fit with the backbox on, but is this a good idea? Is it attached solidly enough, or should I figure on taking it off for transport?
Thanks!

taking the head off definitely lightens the load for carrying it to and from the van (especially if you have to do stairs). each part probably weighs in around 175lbs
and removing the head makes it that much easier to navigate the machine.
disassembly is pretty easy:
- disconnect the 2 sets of wires leading from the head into the cabinet (speaker and power)
- disconnect the ground wire
- remove the 4 bolts securing the head onto the cabinet (2 allen keys are required, but off of the top of my head I don't remember their sizes)

then carefully lift the head off (straight up and then back) of the cabinet

if the cabinet is still too heavy, you can further lighten that load by removing the playfield assembly by sliding it all of the way out of the cabinet (resting the front on the floor) and then disconnecting the 6/7 connectors feeding into the backboard from the power driver board to free it up completely

#1984 5 years ago

When I moved my machine into my home)no stairs) i left in intact,it was heavy but easy enough with a few guys.when I moved it to the basement i was nervous about taking it apart but i just went for it.I took off the head and took out the playfield and it was easy peasy to take apart and reassemble.

#1985 5 years ago

Thanks for the input! I'll see how easily it can slide into the van, but to get into its new home it's definitely going to have to come apart, so this is great info!

Thanks again!

#1986 5 years ago

YES!!! WELL DONE! I'll collect a beer next time I come near Strasbourg!

Quoted from BENETNATH:

MoreBeer you rock. My RFM is alive !!!

#1987 5 years ago

Be my guest !

#1988 5 years ago

Could you install the 2 best saucer mods tgther? Spinning and lightshow saucers?

2 weeks later
#1989 5 years ago

Quick question that I hope someone can answer. I installed Pinbox on my EP1, and I'm wondering if that can be updated to the latest version of Nucore? I did try to do it via a USB drive, it said it read the contents, restarted, but looks like I am still on the same version.

#1990 5 years ago

Is there a way to get a real knocker for RFM? the audio knocker is horrible.

#1991 5 years ago

Joined the club! Found one in nice shape just a couple of hours away. I also managed to score a restorable spare WG monitor.

One question, though: Is the game supposed to auto plunge after the ball save is activated? Mine just ejects the ball into the lane, and the player needs to hit the launch button. Is this normal?

Thanks!

2018-05-15 22.43.49 (resized).jpg2018-05-15 22.43.49 (resized).jpg

#1992 5 years ago

Yep normal behaviour. Ball save doesn’t auto plunge the ball. You’ll turn the save off soon enough anyway

#1993 5 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Is there a way to get a real knocker for RFM? the audio knocker is horrible.

No. There's nothing really to trigger it on since it is all a part of the audio stream. I happen to like the audio knock, it's nice an' loud. "Extra ball! YEE HA!

#1994 5 years ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Yep normal behaviour. Ball save doesn’t auto plunge the ball. You’ll turn the save off soon enough anyway

I believe that ball save is turned off by default. someone must have changed the settings for it to be enabled

#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I believe that ball save is turned off by default. someone must have changed the settings for it to be enabled

Yes. That would be me.

Quoted from Jodannar:

Perfect, thanks!

#1996 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Joined the club! Found one in nice shape just a couple of hours away. I also managed to score a restorable spare WG monitor.
One question, though: Is the game supposed to auto plunge after the ball save is activated? Mine just ejects the ball into the lane, and the player needs to hit the launch button. Is this normal?
Thanks!

Welcome and nice couple of pins !

#1997 5 years ago
Quoted from Giulio:

Welcome and nice couple of pins !

Thanks! Love me some Martians!

#1998 5 years ago

Ok, another question: The black inside walls of the cabinet are a little lacking in excitement. I see that Pingraffix has these PinBlades, and that's all I've been able to find. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I think I saw that there was a set of mirror blades available a few years back, but they don't seem to be available anymore. What have other people done?

Thanks!

#1999 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Ok, another question: The black inside walls of the cabinet are a little lacking in excitement. I see that Pingraffix has these PinBlades, and that's all I've been able to find. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I think I saw that there was a set of mirror blades available a few years back, but they don't seem to be available anymore. What have other people done?
Thanks!

I got the first set of mirrors a couple years ago, they look great on the game.

1 week later
#2000 5 years ago

Does anyone know what the correct microswitch is for the lane rollovers?

It looks like one I have was replaced with a different one at some point.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

[edit]: nevermind, I think I found it:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=829

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 85.00
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
There are 6,641 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 133.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.