IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,702 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 135.
#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Congrats! Put it in switch test and hit the pop skirt with a ball. Most likely, the spoon switches just needs cleaned/adjusted. Check for any broken wires on those switches too.
Good luck!

Just a quick update. The skirts are broken an worn, so when I press on them they work. Looks like I'll get new skirts on the next parts order. And does anyone know which style of trim is used for pin2k? Can I use WPC and cut to fit? Talking about the back glass trim and lift channel.

#1002 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome to the club but man your lucky nothing fell on it.

Hahah i actually pulled some parts from the top shelves to make sure... and drove like a grandma

#1003 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Man I wish that one guy making the 3D tl's would make a kick ass one for our game. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I know right. It is perfect for it. I need a new one anyways, so I am just going to hold out and see what happens.

#1004 7 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Can I use WPC and cut to fit? Talking about the back glass trim and lift channel.

I'm pretty sure.

#1005 7 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

and drove like a grandma

Well that can be dangerous too. Glad you made it home safe with your new game though.

#1006 7 years ago

New to the game here.... when exactly are the controlled gates above the pops suppose to work for a full orbit shot? Both gates work fine in test.

#1007 7 years ago

If anyone is going to pinfest..... Marcos had a piece of new pin2k glass for $150!!!!

I almost bought it to keep in case i ever find another RFM.

#1008 7 years ago

New to the game here.... when exactly are the controlled gates above the pops suppose to work for a full orbit shot? Both gates work fine in test.

Also not disabled in settings

#1009 7 years ago

Not positive for RFM but for AFM it is after you have completed the shot three times. Guessing it is probably the same.

#1010 7 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Not positive for RFM but for AFM it is after you have completed the shot three times. Guessing it is probably the same.

Thanks didnt seem to work, i can hold left flipper before launching and open left gate. Just curious which modes give an orbit shot.... anyone?

#1011 7 years ago

Thanks didnt seem to work, i can hold left flipper before launching and open left gate. Just curious which modes give an orbit shot.... anyone?

Check this site out and go to the "Highly recommended game settings" section. There are two settings to adjust and it gives the game a lot better flow (specifically that gate) on the lock shot. Hope this helps!

http://www.aaarpinball.com/RFM/RFM.htm

#1012 7 years ago
Quoted from jyeakley:

Check this site out and go to the "Highly recommended game settings" section. There are two settings to adjust and it gives the game a lot better flow (specifically that gate) on the lock shot. Hope this helps!
http://www.aaarpinball.com/RFM/RFM.htm

It did thanks a bunch.

#1013 7 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

If anyone is going to pinfest..... Marcos had a piece of new pin2k glass for $150!!!!

No kidding??? I could use a piece. Damn

#1014 7 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Is it possible to ship those glass sheets?

#1015 7 years ago

yesterday i noticed that in secret weapon mode i heard :
everybody was kunt fu fighting, again but havnt heard it in at least 50 plays
if not more!
is there a randomizer in the software or does it only say this at a certain combo of hits???
tried to replicate but doesnt come

is this game magic????

#1016 7 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

So I have been playing the crap out of my RFM I got to my house 2 weeks ago. My questions are: I got to Attack Mars and got to level 3 "Giant Alien head" but got down to one ball when I beat it. Is there something passed level 3 or does attack mars mode end there? Also is there anything past the wicked step mother ship in mothership multiball? I always choke on the wicked step mother

here you can see the ending SPOILERALLERT

#1017 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

No kidding??? I could use a piece. Damn

Give them a call, I bet they still have it.

Quoted from Wizboy:

Is it possible to ship those glass sheets?

Doubt they would ship, but worth a phone call.

#1018 7 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Give them a call, I bet they still have it.

Doubt they would ship, but worth a phone call.

Money is to tight right now.

2 weeks later
#1019 7 years ago

Asking for assistance from the RFM membership regarding my RFM that was recently purchased from CJ a new Pinsider.
CJ purchased my RFM in order to place it at his Church (in the rec room) for the purpose of giving the inner city children an outlet.

During the transport, the CPU must have gotten jostled and is now intermittently working, including freezing up in mid-game play. It's probably a daughter/prism card, motherboard, or RAM issue. We're trying to isolate it now, but it's proving difficult to get it back to working for long periods of time. The current system is running version 1.4 of the software, and the CPU has been taken out multiple, multiple times with everything possible in the CPU reseated, reslotted and cleaned. A post was placed in the tech section this weekend addressing the issues and some good suggestions were gotten, but still no absolute solutions.

I believe we either need to upgrade to 1.5/1.6 software, but that may prove challenging onto itself and may not ultimately solve the current issues. Or, we may need to move on to a Pinbox/Nucore system, in lieu of Nucore coming back. What other options do we have at this point???

Please help CJ and I with the RFM computer issues. Thanks!

#1020 7 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

During the transport, the CPU must have gotten jostled and is now intermittently working, including freezing up in mid-game play. It's probably a daughter/prism card, motherboard, or RAM issue.

In my experience, this is a RAM issue. If you have multiple RAM DIMMS installed remove one of them then start the game and see what happens. If it still freezes, swap the RAM for the one you removed. If you only have one DIMM installed, i would look at getting a new stick.

One of these should work: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-256MB-PC100-168-Pin-16-Chip/dp/B000YQUB8Q/ref=sr_1_2

Also, i would NOT attempt to update the firmware until you have this resolved. If it freezes when updating you could create a whole new problem

#1021 7 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

In my experience, this is a RAM issue.

I had similar intermittent lock-ups and freezing. Tried all kinds of reseating, then replacing the RAM and did that not solve. On mine the headers for the Prism card needed to be reflowed. Have not have had a problem since.

#1022 7 years ago

Hey all... I think i've finally (reluctantly) decided to go to an lcd monitor for my RFM. The tube in mine is weak and just getting weaker, even after an amp and a re-cap i'm not getting anywhere near the color or contrast I should.

So quick question.. When running to a cga to vga adaptor do you keep the amp in line or does the adaptor bring up the signal enough on its own? Thanks!

#1023 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I had similar intermittent lock-ups and freezing. Tried all kinds of reseating, then replacing the RAM and did that not solve. On mine the headers for the Prism card needed to be reflowed. Have not have had a problem since.

Could be the issue. But if i were him, id start with the cheap/easy solution first. The RAM is like $20, and 2 minutes to swap out. If no dice there, then he can move on to the prism card. As an afterthought have you looked at the caps on the motherboard? If any of them are swollen or popped, it could explain it. Normally the system wont even boot with bad caps, but each case is slightly different.

Picture here of where the caps are: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Mediagxboard.jpg

#1024 7 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Could be the issue. But if i were him, id start with the cheap/easy solution first. The RAM is like $20, and 2 minutes to swap out. If no dice there, then he can move on to the prism card. As an afterthought have you looked at the caps on the motherboard? If any of them are swollen or popped, it could explain it. Normally the system wont even boot with bad caps, but each case is slightly different.
Picture here of where the caps are: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Mediagxboard.jpg

Yes I agree...try easy solutions first. I just wanted to point out there are other possibilities

#1025 7 years ago

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions for Joe (BestShot), he's a great Pinsider. I wish I could helped him but I'm a dummy when it comes to these things.

#1026 7 years ago

Do you think rfm would go up in price if Hillary becomes President?

#1027 7 years ago

Have you tried Rob Anthony at Lock When Lit yet? The guy knows his stuff about all things Pin2K...

#1029 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Hey all... I think i've finally (reluctantly) decided to go to an lcd monitor for my RFM. The tube in mine is weak and just getting weaker, even after an amp and a re-cap i'm not getting anywhere near the color or contrast I should.
So quick question.. When running to a cga to vga adaptor do you keep the amp in line or does the adaptor bring up the signal enough on its own? Thanks!

You won't need the amp anymore. The adapter will fix all of that. What size LCD are you planning to use? I did one before with a 4X3 20", but I plan to do my next one with a 21" 16X9. I have both so I plan to see which works best.

#1030 7 years ago

I'm thinking about 4:3 19" since they ar a dime a dozen and that was aproximately the original monitors size and aspect ratio. I actually probably have a few around here but if not there is a government surplus store that sells them, and without the stand which isn't needed anyway, they are even less

My other thought was to use an actual Wells Gardner flat scren monitor designed for replacing arcade monitors but that seems like spending over double just for the convienence of having a built in cga adaptor.

#1031 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I'm thinking about 4:3 19" since they ar a dime a dozen and that was aproximately the original monitors size and aspect ratio. I actually probably have a few around here but if not there is a government surplus store that sells them, and without the stand which isn't needed anyway, they are even less
My other thought was to use an actual Wells Gardner flat scren monitor designed for replacing arcade monitors but that seems like spending over double just for the convienence of having a built in cga adaptor.

Yeah, I thought that 19" would work as well, but it's a little too small. The 20" wasn't bad but they are a little hard to find. I bought an extra Dell Factory refurbished 20" a couple of years ago. The black levels were decent but not as good as some of the newer ones so I was going to try the 21" 16X9 as well. I made my own mounting with Angle Iron and it worked pretty well.

1 week later
#1032 7 years ago

Well I tried a HP 1951 19" I picked up today for 15 bucks. I like these for old arcades with dead monitors since their case come apart easily so you can get to the panel itself more like an open frame mount monitor. For RFM you're right t's too small but even worse also the viewing angle is way too narrow.

The viewing angle thing actually has me concerned about any monitor I find. I know they have made vast improvements in viewing angles horizontally but I'm not sure about vertically.

Maybe I will go hunting for a newish tube.

#1033 7 years ago

The ones I bought are: Dell UltraSharp 2007FP 20-inch Flat Panel Monitor. I bought them refurbished from Dell in 2014. They were $125.00. There seems to be quite a few used ones on eBay.

#1034 7 years ago

Those Dell monitors look pretty good, and on eBay right now looks like they are down to about 80ish shipped.

Too bad I already ordered this monitor (21.5") on Amazon for 99 bucks: http://amzn.com/B015WCV70W

I liked that there were no buttons on the face and has a very thin frame.

So far I think I can be satisfied with it. There is no fading to black and the picture is nice and clear at any angle so from that perspective it's pretty similar to a tube. The CGA to VGA card has geometry controls so it wasn't hard to get the aspect ratio of the image pretty close with a full fit across the playfield. I only wish it were about 1" taller to completely cover the tube opening which that dell might do but I think with a custom bezel it will be fine.

The black level isn't bad but I think I will try putting in a piece of glass with a sheet of very light auto tint to try to get that black level down to tube-like black, hopefully without fading the image.

1 week later
#1035 7 years ago

Looking for the exact size of the back glass. Had a little mishap and will have to have another made. Thanks in advance.

#1036 7 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Looking for the exact size of the back glass. Had a little mishap and will have to have another made. Thanks in advance.

I can take measurements tonight if someone doesn't get it to you before then

#1037 7 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Pinball 2000 22 X 14 1/4

Thickness should be 1/8.

#1038 7 years ago

Thank you sir.

#1039 7 years ago

Correction, thickness is 3/16. Sorry about that.

#1040 7 years ago

SteveBigHead - How are you going to make one ? I lay awake at nights i fear that mine will beak and as far as I can determine there are no replacements on the west coast.

#1041 7 years ago

DorothyMacaw: ordering a replacement translite and trim, and having a piece of glass made.

#1042 7 years ago

Thanks Steve - I misread. I thought you were talking about the play field glass.

1 week later
#1043 7 years ago

My center target (the main one in the middle of the semi circle) doesn't register hard shots. Replaced it with new targets twice, makes no difference. Any suggestions? Works fine in switch test.

#1044 7 years ago

Check the switch gap... if still an issue; I'll look for a bad/defective cap and/or diode.

#1045 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Check the switch gap... if still an issue; I'll look for a bad/defective cap and/or diode.

Figured it out. The center target in my machine is the 3D type, with a big deep plastic cover on it. Its too much depth for that spot, the metal machinery behind the target stops it from moving. The prior owner must not have had the right replacement type, and I never checked pictures online to see what type it was... just assumed he knew what he was doing...

Anyway, swapping it out for the proper one.

#1046 7 years ago
Quoted from NonStopSwagger:

Figured it out. The center target in my machine is the 3D type, with a big deep plastic cover on it. Its too much depth for that spot, the metal machinery behind the target stops it from moving. The prior owner must not have had the right replacement type, and I never checked pictures online to see what type it was... just assumed he knew what he was doing...
Anyway, swapping it out for the proper one.

Good detective work.

#1047 7 years ago

Just picked up a RFM directly from Bally here in Las Vegas that was onsite for employees at Bally in Chicago and am running into some issues with a couple of switches that differ from what I am seeing in the manual. I should state also the code on this game is 0.1 so maybe an update to 1.6 could fix a couple things.

Switch 47 should be the Jet Exit per the manual, but it is showing as Not Used in the switch test and instead Switch 48 is labeled as Jet Exit and showing as constantly closed. When testing the actual Jet Exit optos, they open/close as normal but on Switch 47 instead of Switch 48. Has anyone else seen those two switches swapped around and have any idea what might be registering as closed for Switch 48?

The other weird one is Switch 54 is labeled Left Ramp Entrance when it should be Switch 52 per the manual, but when I physically test those optos it trips Switch 52 as expected but that switch is labeled as Right Lockup 2 in the test and isn't even in the manual. I also have Switch 53 (Right Lockup 3) showing as closed in the switch test but it also isn't in the manual. Are either of these extra lockups are actually used for anything and what switch could the game be seeing as closed for Switch 53 & 54?

Lastly, Right Lockup 1 optos are registering normally and the coil is firing but when balls are actually captured it isn't kicking out to the right ramp until the game goes into ball search mode. All the fuses and board connections look good, is this possibly related to more crossed up switches? Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

switch_(resized).PNGswitch_(resized).PNG
IMG_6560_(resized).JPGIMG_6560_(resized).JPG
IMG_6556_(resized).JPGIMG_6556_(resized).JPG
IMG_6557_(resized).JPGIMG_6557_(resized).JPG
IMG_6564_(resized).JPGIMG_6564_(resized).JPG
IMG_6558_(resized).JPGIMG_6558_(resized).JPG
IMG_6559_(resized).JPGIMG_6559_(resized).JPG

#1048 7 years ago

rob anthony is one of the few guys in the country that work on these, give him a holler.

#1049 7 years ago

Wow ... yes... that looks like EARLY alpha code.
I'd serious consider updating to a later version before chasing any bugs.

#1050 7 years ago

What's the serial number on the game (if the sticker is still on the front)? I wonder if you have an early prototype.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,702 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/21?hl=wizboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.