IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,707 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 135.
#951 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

At TPF; I developed a Red color issue... where I found out if I wiggle the cable going to the Duckscan PCB; the gun with come back intermittently. This weekend; I decided to pull the monitor and examine the connector for a bad solder joint. As you may know; you have to pull the monitor out of the backbox... disassemble most of the monitor; just so you can get at that connector.
I reflowed the connector and started reassembling the beast. Got it all back together and while putting the monitor back in the back box; I heard the horrifying sound of gas being let into the CRT tube. Somehow; while trying to wrangle the monitor into the box; I snapped the glass tube at the neck board. I was so disgusted with myself I just want to cry.
I *hope* to have a replacement CRT on the way - but just noticed it's on "backorder"; so may never see it. <Sigh>

Sorry to hear that Zitt.

#952 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I had a new WG crt to put in but didn't get around to it. Moved house, and wife flooded the laundry where it was still in box. All good, only box soggy. Wife was impatient waiting for me to put the crt back into the box and did it herself. Neck caught on her jumper and same noise. Brand new never use crt trashed. Bought another and quickly installed it.

Wow that's one handy wife even to attempt something like that. But bummer about the tube.

#953 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I heard the horrifying sound of gas being let into the CRT tube

The dreaded gas... Why not go to LCD?

#954 7 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

I went LCD on mine & I'll never look back. Improved contrast and colors, better blacks, not to mention about 40lbs lighter and never-ending supply of cheap monitors. CRT's are done.....

#955 7 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

I went LCD on mine & I'll never look back. Improved contrast and colors, better blacks, not to mention about 40lbs lighter and never-ending supply of cheap monitors. CRT's are done.....

+1

#956 7 years ago

I think as long as the original monitor works and is fine, no need to rush into LCD, but if it dies that will be the time. Same thing I am doing in my house, as my incandescent bulbs die, I am replacing them with LED.

#957 7 years ago

Does anyone know who sells mirror blades for Pinball 2K's?

Thanks,
Mike

#958 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I think as long as the original monitor works and is fine, no need to rush into LCD, but if it dies that will be the time. Same thing I am doing in my house, as my incandescent bulbs die, I am replacing them with LED.

+1

#959 7 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Thanks,
Mike

I think mustangpaul knows ? Maybe somwere in this topic to in previous posts

#960 7 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Thanks,
Mike

pinballsidemirrors.com- but they're pretty proud of them - $135.00 for a set.

#961 7 years ago

May not have a choice regarding LCD. My hope was to keep the machine original; but MCM Electronics put my CRT order on backorder... then outright cancelled it yesterday. There just isn't any stock left of Tubes.

Does anyone have pointers to stock of LCD adapter plates / Info?

My assumption is Pinball Life carried them with the NuCore stock... but I haven't looked to see if they still do.

#962 7 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

I'm not changing my RFM to an LCD unless I have to. So far, I've never seen an LCD in an RFM that looked "right". They're always 16:9 so the image is stretched. The graphics look "flatter" and more pixelated, due to losing the CRT bloom and scanlines. The CRT image looks more 3D to me. If my CRT dies, I'm really going to try to get another one instead of LCD...unless I'm behind the times and there's an LCD option that can display 4:3 and emulate a CRT look.

#963 7 years ago

Even if the CRT "dies", it would seem that you could send out the chassis to be rebuilt to someone like Chad from ArcadeCup:

http://www.arcadecup.com/

(I have no idea what type of monitor RFM uses, but he did an amazing job rebuilding a 6100 for me once)

#965 7 years ago

Zitt, I have a CRT monitor and chassis that I am going to replace in my machine with an LCD. I do not know if it works but the neck is fine and doesn't appear to have burn. (project machine that I bought) If you are interested let me know and maybe we can work something out.

#967 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not changing my RFM to an LCD unless I have to. So far, I've never seen an LCD in an RFM that looked "right". They're always 16:9 so the image is stretched. The graphics look "flatter" and more pixelated, due to losing the CRT bloom and scanlines. The CRT image looks more 3D to me. If my CRT dies, I'm really going to try to get another one instead of LCD...unless I'm behind the times and there's an LCD option that can display 4:3 and emulate a CRT look.

a 4:3 19" monitor works just fine and looks good. That is why my dad had in his and it looked great. Not stretched at all.

#968 7 years ago

I upgraded both my RFM and SWE1 with this solution:

http://www.niemandisplays.com/nieman_video_displays_013.htm

A little on the pricey side but I could not be happier with the outcome. The images are much sharper and brighter than stock. Simple install procedure to boot!

#969 7 years ago

Just an FYI - I have an RFM monitor and chassis available.

#970 7 years ago
Quoted from tonylo909:

I upgraded both my RFM and SWE1 with this solution:
http://www.niemandisplays.com/nieman_video_displays_013.htm
A little on the pricey side but I could not be happier with the outcome. The images are much sharper and brighter than stock. Simple install procedure to boot!

That looks interesting, thanks for the link. There's no price listed and just a weird GIF thing showing it...how much is it - and any links to better pics or info about this kit?

#971 7 years ago
Quoted from arpman:

Just an FYI - I have an RFM monitor and chassis available.

What are you looking to get for it?

#972 7 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

What are you looking to get for it?

Make an offer. I'll send you pics if you want me too.

#973 7 years ago

When I bought mine in April of 2015, they were $365 US each and $75 US each for shipping from Canada to Florida. 2 of them shipped for $880 US. I have no other pics or links. I initially emailed [email protected] and made contact and went from there.

If interested, I can take some photos/video to show you a little more about the product.

Quoted from Rarehero:

That looks interesting, thanks for the link. There's no price listed and just a weird GIF thing showing it...how much is it - and any links to better pics or info about this kit?

#974 7 years ago
Quoted from tonylo909:

When I bought mine in April of 2015, they were $365 US each and $75 US each for shipping from Canada to Florida. 2 of them shipped for $880 US. I have no other pics or links. I initially emailed [email protected] and made contact and went from there.
If interested, I can take some photos/video to show you a little more about the product.

I'll second this set up. Previous owner had installed this into their cab. Pic looks amazing, and to me, is well worth the upgrade.

#975 7 years ago
Quoted from tonylo909:

Yeah, that'd be awesome if you have the time! Thanks!

#976 7 years ago

Good info. For now; I'm going to try and keep the system "stock-ish" with a CRT from GOV. Else; LCD maybe my next step.
I'm not one to shy away from a tube swap if necessary.

#977 7 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Quoted from jorro:

I think mustangpaul knows ? Maybe somwere in this topic to in previous posts

Quoted from Analogkid:

pinballsidemirrors.com- but they're pretty proud of them - $135.00 for a set.

I wanted them for my game so they started making them, I got the first ones. The reason they cost so much is because they are TWICE as big as regular blades and you just slip them in and out, no permanent mounting. You can slip them out when you want to raise the pf. They look great too.

#978 7 years ago

Good to hear that mirror blades are available for RFM...what about regular inner side art though?

#980 7 years ago

Seems to me that an AFM design could easily be adapted for RFM.

#982 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Seems to me that an AFM design could easily be adapted for RFM.

Sure it could but they would have to get the OK from you know who.

#983 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sure it could but they would have to get the OK from you know who.

Wasnt there someone planning on making them and asked if there was interest?
Cant find the topic right now

#985 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

No one makes them.

I bought an RFM back in 2011 (beautiful pin-nicest I'd ever seen of this title) and it did indeed have inner side art. It was vinyl, I believe, and was somewhat similar to AFM's artwork, but a bit more substance and flair. Since it came with the machine, I have no idea who produced this but it was certainly professional. I may have some pix somewhere-if I can find them I'll be sure & post them.

#986 7 years ago

WWW.pinball.center has RFM art:

image_63070_1_484x484_(resized).jpgimage_63070_1_484x484_(resized).jpg

#987 7 years ago

Yeah that was me. Pinballsidemirrors came through first so I bought them. I think they are worth the money.

#988 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey welcome to the club, that does look in fine shape. When you have some time repaint those bolt heads, make the game look cleaner. A powered sub really rocks with this game. I tried better speakers in the bb and they really didn't do much to improve the sound, the only to improve them is put a seperate amp on them.. Hope you have the time to read all 19 pages of the thread, lots of good info there.

Hey mustang paul, yeah I made the leg bolts out of stainless acorn nuts and set screws but the polished stainless look doesn't work on rfm. I'll have to get some black oxided nuts...

#989 7 years ago
Quoted from bbriese:

Hey mustang paul, yeah I made the leg bolts out of stainless acorn nuts and set screws but the polished stainless look doesn't work on rfm.

No I meant all the cartage bolt heads for the coin door frame, shooter plate and side armor. Just wire wheel, prime and paint them a nice satin black. No need to buy new bolts. Oh and clean and paint the threads too and maybe buy new nuts.

#990 7 years ago

So I have been playing the crap out of my RFM I got to my house 2 weeks ago. My questions are: I got to Attack Mars and got to level 3 "Giant Alien head" but got down to one ball when I beat it. Is there something passed level 3 or does attack mars mode end there? Also is there anything past the wicked step mother ship in mothership multiball? I always choke on the wicked step mother

#991 7 years ago

here's an fyi for those who have purchased pin2k glass from rob (lock when lit)

planetary has finally uncovered and stocked the double-sided playfield glass decal ( right side up, wrong side up) on their webstore @ $5 ea
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-04-10739-DEC

#992 7 years ago

It's CRT or nothing for me; LCD looks wrong and it's a downgrade.

#993 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It's CRT or nothing for me; LCD looks wrong and it's a downgrade.

like you can see in this youtube post lots of lcd monitors have 16:9 i have a led tv in mine with 3:4 ,looks bright crispy and the size of it is like crt
i like it a lot! great collors
but thats me

#994 7 years ago

CRT's are a non-negotiable fixture in an arcade video game. I have 28 of them and would NEVER consider anything but. NO LCD's whatsoever. However, in a Pin2K, I think LCD's are actually a huge improvement. CRT's just seem 'clunky' in them...

#995 7 years ago

I guess like anything, an LCD is a mod, reversible if you keep the original CRT. I can't deny that the CRT makes the head heavy as hell.

#996 7 years ago

Dell made a 20" 4X3 monitor that I used in mine a few years ago. I sold the machine but I had purchased 2 monitors at the time so I'm ready to put the other one in my current RFM when I get to that project. Unfortunately, it's 3 game restorations away at best!

#997 7 years ago

What's up dudes can I join?

20160505_165328_(resized).jpg20160505_165328_(resized).jpg

#998 7 years ago

^^^ THAT is the right vehicle to transport an RFM, gentlemen.

#999 7 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

What's up dudes can I join?

Welcome to the club but man your lucky nothing fell on it.

#1000 7 years ago

Man I wish that one guy making the 3D tl's would make a kick ass one for our game. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

7,500 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,707 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.