IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,702 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 135.
#5251 2 years ago

Hey all,

Trying to join the club and looking at a machine but it has an issue where in the lamp A matrix 15A works from the power board by then A25 on does not. Bad bulb socket in A25 causing chain problem? Diode? or other. Any help is appreciated. Just don't want an expensive repair and hopefully fix myself. Thanks!

#5252 2 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

Thanks for the input here. My computer powers on, the red light on the computer case lights up.. Fans are running. This looks to be another solution.
1. I want to start by changing the battery that is sandwiched inbetween.
2. It measures 3v on the outside battery holder when game is turned off and battery is not under load.
Has anyone split the Prism cards ever ? Any special approach doing this, looks delicate ? Is the Prism battery a show stopper if not supplying the 3v ?
Thanks
Matt

I separated my prism card manually very carefully so it can be done if you don't apply too much force and bend or break pins when it pops free. If you have access to a 3D printer you can use this tool to make it safer and easier to do: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4250887

#5253 2 years ago

Recently moved. First game on at the new house started fine and now I'm getting a scrambled screen. Any idea where to start?

PXL_20220414_030052196.jpgPXL_20220414_030052196.jpg
#5254 2 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Recently moved. First game on at the new house started fine and now I'm getting a scrambled screen. Any idea where to start?

Try adjusting the horizontal hold.

#5255 2 years ago

That looks like the bios boot screen which can't sync to the cga monitor

Check the prism card to ensure it's fully seated. Else check for dead battery on cpu board.

#5256 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That looks like the bios boot screen which can't sync to the cga monitor
Check the prism card to ensure it's fully seated. Else check for dead battery on cpu board.

Checked everything inside the computer to make sure it's seated well. The battery is testing at 2.9. Checked seating on everything on the driver board as well. Still no luck.
There was a broken ferrite inside the box that I'm assuming was on the power cable.

PXL_20220421_015229107.jpgPXL_20220421_015229107.jpg
#5257 1 year ago

Possibly, but that a missing ferrite wouldn't cause your display issues.
Hooke the pc up to a vga monitor and see what the screen says

#5258 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not getting anything

PXL_20220421_025037725.jpgPXL_20220421_025037725.jpg
#5259 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not getting anything

Quoted from Zitt:

Now the power supply fan is not spinning and no more scrambled lines on the screen. Getting marquee light and that's it. Ps might be done?

#5260 1 year ago

Well after sitting on it and spending time working on another game, a friend pointed out the red button on the front of the computer. Fired right up after that.
Now that I'm hyper focused on things, the ps fan sounds really loud. Should I order a backup?

PXL_20220421_044141845.jpgPXL_20220421_044141845.jpgPXL_20220421_044829624.jpgPXL_20220421_044829624.jpg
#5261 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Now that I'm hyper focused on things, the ps fan sounds really loud. Should I order a backup?

Tooting own horn:
http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=750

#5262 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Well after sitting on it and spending time working on another game, a friend pointed out the red button on the front of the computer. Fired right up after that.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Now I should’ve pointed you to that, because I fell for it myself after I bought my RFM, took me a while to find.
But I thought I was the dumbest in the world so I thought suggesting that would just be stupid…
Clearly I was wrong.

#5263 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Even better than the "just a fuse" fix. Boom!

#5264 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Now I should’ve pointed you to that, because I fell for it myself after I bought my RFM, took me a while to find.
But I thought I was the dumbest in the world so I thought suggesting that would just be stupid…
Clearly I was wrong.

Same exact thing when I bought mine Worked great onsite, broke it down and drove it home, set it up and.... nothing. Thankfully as it was almost midnight I just shut it off and figured it out quickly in the morning but clearly "check the red switch" should always be troubleshooting step #1

#5265 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

Same exact thing when I bought mine Worked great onsite, broke it down and drove it home, set it up and.... nothing. Thankfully as it was almost midnight I just shut it off and figured it out quickly in the morning but clearly "check the red switch" should always be troubleshooting step #1

To be clear though, that only fixed that it was dead after I took the computer out to reseat everything. It didn't solve the scrambled screen. Magic apparently fixed that.

#5266 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

To be clear though, that only fixed that it was dead after I took the computer out to reseat everything. It didn't solve the scrambled screen. Magic apparently fixed that.

Or reseating the cards fixed it.

#5267 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Sometimes magic is what we all need

#5268 1 year ago
Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

I work in IT on point of sale touch screen equipment. 90% of screen or video issues are fixed this way.

#5269 1 year ago

I'm looking for 2 RFM translites for some projects that i recently picked up. If you have a used one you would sell please let me know.

#5270 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Not magic, you did something that needed to be done.......
I had a very similar problem about 8 months ago and here's what solved my problem:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-monitor-problems

#5271 1 year ago
Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

Yeah, exactly, but only temporarly, he needs to clean the contacts on the cards as well and there he's got the permanant solution.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-2000-monitor-problems

#5272 1 year ago
Quoted from Only68s:

I'm looking for 2 RFM translites for some projects that i recently picked up. If you have a used one you would sell please let me know.

I've been looking for one for a while also. I bought a used one but being over 20 years old and brittle from age it was mangled during shipping. I wish they would reproduce these or 3d ones again.

#5273 1 year ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I've been looking for one for a while also. I bought a used one but being over 20 years old and brittle from age it was mangled during shipping. I wish they would reproduce these or 3d ones again.

You can have a NOS at these 2 places:
ebay.com link: itm
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-1357-50070NOS

#5274 1 year ago

Ill get them new from PPS. I could have sworn they were sold out. Thanks

#5275 1 year ago

Hi RFM Fans,
I have installed :
- new CPU fan.
- Prism Battery, you have to be very soft to separate the boards.
- CPU battery
- new power box with an adapter.
Have got everything at Pinballcenter shop in Germany.

IMG_20220412_101539 (resized).jpgIMG_20220412_101539 (resized).jpgIMG_20220412_101908 (resized).jpgIMG_20220412_101908 (resized).jpgIMG_20220412_101936 (resized).jpgIMG_20220412_101936 (resized).jpgIMG_20220412_142200 (resized).jpgIMG_20220412_142200 (resized).jpg
#5276 1 year ago

I think my fan needs replacing as it makes a bit of a noise now.

Are most just replacing the small fan that is in place? Or doing as above?

#5277 1 year ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Are most just replacing the small fan that is in place? Or doing as above?

I've seen it done by just replacing the fan, adapting the fan
http://pinball-mods.com/blogs/?p=750
Or replacing the heatsink and fan.

The latter is becoming more difficult due to the motherboard/socket age

I don't think there is any ideal situation

#5278 1 year ago
Quoted from themotherbrain:

My shaker will knock your fillings loose!
Is there any way I could somehow weaken the motor or perhaps would you consider coding an adjustment? I am using the standard sam rev b if that is useful info. I'd love to just take it down a notch to be more in line with my other games. I'm not sure if there is some kind of adjustment I can wire in? Any help would be great!
Thanks again for all the effort you put into this project!

Did you sort this out? I have the same shaker and same issue.. I’ve had to turn the shaker off because it vibrates the glass violently and scares the crud outta my young fella.

Thanks

#5279 1 year ago
Quoted from thesav:

Did you sort this out? I have the same shaker and same issue.. I’ve had to turn the shaker off because it vibrates the glass violently and scares the crud outta my young fella.
Thanks

See my reply here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/102#post-6763401

My game behaves intensity wise similar to stern games maybe slightly weaker, certainly not a bone shaking glass rattling afair. If that’s happening then you did something wrong or deviated from my instructions

#5280 1 year ago

Anyone selling plastics for an RFM? I need just two pieces (left side and near drop hole) and would rather not buy a whole set. Shoot me a message of what you have.

#5281 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

See my reply here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/102#post-6763401
My game behaves intensity wise similar to stern games maybe slightly weaker, certainly not a bone shaking glass rattling afair. If that’s happening then you did something wrong or deviated from my instructions

Not for nothing, but I followed your instructions and this is the result I got. I have a virtual pincab with a shaker and my buddy has the same cab and shaker I use and mine is more intense than his. It could be as simple as that there is some manufacturing variance. You can actually adjust that one which is why I asked about this thinking I might have the intensity cranked in a menu somewhere.

I posted a pic of my wiring earlier in the thread. Here is a couple more. Would you please tell me directly how I deviated from your instructions? What exactly did I not do correctly? I did buy everything you sell for this game so perhaps you can help me out with a bit of support as it seems I'm not alone having the issue. If I did something incorrect I'd really like to know so I can fix it. If it is correct I will know the issue lies elsewhere. For the record I still use it but it is the definitely the most violent shaker in my collection. Everything else is working great and I appreciate the effort that went into these upgrades. Thanks.

20220428_172633 (resized).jpg20220428_172633 (resized).jpg

20220428_174533 (resized).jpg20220428_174533 (resized).jpg

#5282 1 year ago

Not for nothing, but I followed your instructions and this is the result I got. I have a virtual pincab with a shaker and my buddy has the same cab and shaker I use and mine is more intense than his. It could be as simple as that there is some manufacturing variance. You can actually adjust that one which is why I asked about this thinking I might have the intensity cranked in a menu somewhere.
I posted a pic of my wiring earlier in the thread. Here is a couple more. Would you please tell me directly how I deviated from your instructions? What exactly did I not do correctly? I did buy everything you sell for this game so perhaps you can help me out with a bit of support as it seems I'm not alone having the issue. If I did something incorrect I'd really like to know so I can fix it. If it is correct I will know the issue lies elsewhere. For the record I still use it but it is the definitely the most violent shaker in my collection. Everything else is working great and I appreciate the effort that went into these upgrades. Thanks.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

The message above was for the other message (@thesav) as it did not mention what shaker was in use or whether the loom was one of mine or made separately, that is all.

I did offer you help in the reply to your earlier message because i said 'check the 12v voltage'. So i would need to know what the actual output is from the 12v section before knowing if voltage 'drift' is your issue. The 12v feed for the shaker motor is not regulated, so it can be higher or lower depending on the transformer settings and also the line voltage. Also there can be variations on the shakers themselves. (I will contact you via PM with some suggestions on lowering the voltage to the shaker alittle.)

As for adding an adjustment for the shaker 'power' then yes i will look into this to add more fine tuning. I did not think at first there would be much variation on peoples games, but i guess when 100's of people run updates there will be some differences.

#5283 1 year ago

That would be fantastic thanks. I have a feeling it's the shaker itself, but I will check the output. I'm certainly not above a mistake and I really wondered if I did something wrong. From what I can tell the wiring is pretty straightforward which was your entire point to making a loom to begin with. I appreciate the response and willingness to look into further adjustments. Like I said everything else works great. I really dig all of the mods. My friends hate drunk flippers btw but I leave that shit on lol!

#5284 1 year ago

. My friends hate drunk flippers btw but I leave that shit on lol!

Ha ha ha, give them a few games with score war on or no hold flippers!

#5285 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

See my reply here

applejuice What’s the best place to test the voltage on the shaker? I tried with the game diagnostics menu, but the shaker only runs for a fraction of a second (and low intensity) and won’t register properly on my multimeter.

I bought a loom from you and have installed it to your specs (I think!), though my kit was an early one and from memory I don’t think it included the diodes - so perhaps I need to install those, but I don’t think this would be causing my issues?

I’ve attached some pictures of my install for illustration.

Thanks

34C70A0E-E732-4568-8638-A7F405944100 (resized).jpeg34C70A0E-E732-4568-8638-A7F405944100 (resized).jpeg7CF04FA3-4F22-4072-827F-AC9840B7ABEA (resized).jpeg7CF04FA3-4F22-4072-827F-AC9840B7ABEA (resized).jpeg95330B3E-A5E8-4825-84D5-89C84AF49DF9 (resized).jpeg95330B3E-A5E8-4825-84D5-89C84AF49DF9 (resized).jpegB65054CE-6873-4527-86E1-FB2E76639B0A (resized).jpegB65054CE-6873-4527-86E1-FB2E76639B0A (resized).jpeg
#5286 1 year ago

As a follow up, I enabled the shaker, hooked up my multimeter & it seems that during a mode finalisation, my shaker is briefly hitting 20volts, instead of 12..
Thoughts?

EA4D2797-A072-47C3-8023-C803134CEDBB (resized).jpegEA4D2797-A072-47C3-8023-C803134CEDBB (resized).jpeg
#5287 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

As for adding an adjustment for the shaker 'power' then yes i will look into this to add more fine tuning. I did not think at first there would be much variation on peoples games, but i guess when 100's of people run updates there will be some differences.

Adding an adjustment for Shaker would be great.

i unplugged my shaker because of being too strong (particularly Saucer Attack Super Jackpot).

#5288 1 year ago

Same for me, I just bought a regulator
ebay.com link: Regulateur Variateur de vitesse pwm 12V a 40V 400W 10A ideale pour moteur DC
I will get it soon, and keep you informed.

#5289 1 year ago

Thanks Matt. Please do. That's what I originally had in mind as well but wasn't sure if that was the ideal solution or if programming could address it. If it's getting 20v at certain points, that would certainly explain why it's so powerful.

#5290 1 year ago

Other small thing I have done :
Lights in the eyes of the Martians.

2 small DELs in the eyes, serial mounted.

ebay.com link: 307 25 LED 2mm rouge diffusant canon long 25pcs

And 270 ohm resistor, wired to 12v

You just make small drilling in the eyes, and empty the brain to make space.

Looks great

IMG_20220428_090406 (resized).jpgIMG_20220428_090406 (resized).jpgIMG_20220428_090437 (resized).jpgIMG_20220428_090437 (resized).jpgIMG_20220428_091051 (resized).jpgIMG_20220428_091051 (resized).jpgIMG_20220428_161803 (resized).jpgIMG_20220428_161803 (resized).jpgIMG_20220429_214104 (resized).jpgIMG_20220429_214104 (resized).jpgIMG_20220429_214318 (resized).jpgIMG_20220429_214318 (resized).jpg
#5291 1 year ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

Adding an adjustment for Shaker would be great.
i unplugged my shaker because of being too strong (particularly Saucer Attack Super Jackpot).

Its worth noting that the shaker effects are supposed to be varied and some more powerful than others because some awards are worth more than others. It not just a simple shake for everything, its multi layered.

#5292 1 year ago
Quoted from thesav:

applejuice What’s the best place to test the voltage on the shaker? I tried with the game diagnostics menu, but the shaker only runs for a fraction of a second (and low intensity) and won’t register properly on my multimeter.
I bought a loom from you and have installed it to your specs (I think!), though my kit was an early one and from memory I don’t think it included the diodes - so perhaps I need to install those, but I don’t think this would be causing my issues?
I’ve attached some pictures of my install for illustration.
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The best thing to do is just test the 12v feed voltage, ie put the red lead of your multimeter on the yellow wire/pin and then the black lead on any ground braid point. What does it read? I just checked mine and it reads 14.6v so that's pretty normal and correct for an unregulated 12v. If its higher than 15v then check your line voltage and line plug settings.

#5293 1 year ago

I will test the regulator.
The shaker is really too strong on the big events like super jackpot.
In the normal playing, it is OK.
So reducing at 90 or 80 % should be great.
The regulator is only 10 euros, limited risk.

#5294 1 year ago

I grabbed the big o jiggly Martians awhile back.

https://www.mickspinball.com/afm-rfm-big-o-jiggly-martian-led-pi

I really like the way they flail around now. I picked these chrome saucers up recently too.

20220501_141725 (resized).jpg20220501_141725 (resized).jpg20220501_141731 (resized).jpg20220501_141731 (resized).jpg
#5295 1 year ago

I picked these chrome saucers up recently too.

A lot of people (including me) put a 3rd saucer above the stroke of luck hole on top of the flasher.

#5296 1 year ago

I grabbed the big o jiggly Martians awhile back.
https://www.mickspinball.com/afm-rfm-big-o-jiggly-martian-led-pi
I really like the way they flail around now. I picked these chrome saucers up recently too.

Where did you get the chrome saucers from? They look great!

#5297 1 year ago
#5298 1 year ago
Quoted from Matt08:

Other small thing I have done :
Lights in the eyes of the Martians.
2 small DELs in the eyes, serial mounted.
ebay.com link: 307 25 LED 2mm rouge diffusant canon long 25pcs
And 270 ohm resistor, wired to 12v
You just make small drilling in the eyes, and empty the brain to make space.
Looks great
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those look pretty cool. I might have to do this to mine as well. I have used PICO leds on my N scale trains that would work real well. They are super tiny.
Here is a 12v Pico with a pencil. They are about 1mm.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
#5299 1 year ago

Its amazing how easily Terry jumps on the bandwagon. Thanks Terry!
Sigh
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/95#post-6360040

For the record; I was on the market first (10 months ago)... Terry just like to copy ideas he sees on the market.
http://pinball-mods.com/url/RFMSaucer

#5300 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Its worth noting that the shaker effects are supposed to be varied and some more powerful than others because some awards are worth more than others. It not just a simple shake for everything, its multi layered.

Could you maybe then turn down the Saucer Super Jackpot Shaker effect a little bit lower?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,702 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/106?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.