IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,719 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 135.
#5101 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I have to be honest with you... both of those look like crap. And the alignment is poor.

I have to be honest with you, I don’t care. Also, the alignment isn’t correct because it was just being test fitted. I also wasn’t going to spend a fortune fixing the CRT. It was incredibly dim and the flyback fried and I’m not sure what else it took with it.

#5102 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I have to be honest with you... both of those look like crap. And the alignment is poor.

I agree with you. Although picture quality isn’t too bad, but the screen alignment is always crap. It’s like 19“ LCDs are to small.

#5103 2 years ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

I have to be honest with you, I don’t care. Also, the alignment isn’t correct because it was just being test fitted. I also wasn’t going to spend a fortune fixing the CRT. It was incredibly dim and the flyback fried and I’m not sure what else it took with it.

It is not expensive to rebuild the monitor chassis.

#5104 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

It is not expensive to rebuild the monitor chassis.

Cost, time, weight, and reliability were all a factor. I didn’t trash the CRT but I doubt seriously it will go back in

#5105 2 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

I agree with you. Although picture quality isn’t too bad, but the screen alignment is always crap. It’s like 19“ LCDs are to small.

The alignment is off more than it should be because I haven’t finished getting exactly where I want it, but yes the 19” LCD is a slightly different dimension than the CRT

#5106 2 years ago

I believe I went with a 20 or 21" LCD and the alignment got MUCH better.
$100 at Walmart, recommended earlier in this thread.

Jeff

#5107 2 years ago

Sorry, I know my comment was brief and pointed, but I'm really not trying to be a dick. If you consider that "great" then I can only assume that you've never seen an RFM with a properly working CRT.
Fixing or replacing the monitor chassis isn't that hard or expensive. For me, it's much easier to do that than to stuff an LCD in there. But I understand that's not the case for everyone.
Another thing to consider (if you don't want to fix what you have) is that you can adapt any standard 19" monitor to work. You just have to move it to that custom mounting frame and figure out the wiring. I mention this because there seems to be a common misconception that only that Ducksan (which is not a very good monitor to begin with) or a specific model of WG are the only ones that will work.

#5108 2 years ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

I believe I went with a 20 or 21" LCD and the alignment got MUCH better.
$100 at Walmart, recommended earlier in this thread.
Jeff

I can see where that would probably work as well. I’m going to play with this one and see how close I can get it. The CRT is definitely a little bigger

#5109 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Sorry, I know my comment was brief and pointed, but I'm really not trying to be a dick. If you consider that "great" then I can only assume that you've never seen an RFM with a properly working CRT.
Fixing or replacing the monitor chassis isn't that hard or expensive. For me, it's much easier to do that than to stuff an LCD in there. But I understand that's not the case for everyone.
Another thing to consider (if you don't want to fix what you have) is that you can adapt any standard 19" monitor to work. You just have to move it to that custom mounting frame and figure out the wiring. I mention this because there seems to be a common misconception that only that Ducksan (which is not a very good monitor to begin with) or a specific model of WG are the only ones that will work.

It’s all good. I should have stated in my original post that it looks great considering what it is. I know that an LCD can’t replace a CRT for black quality and alignment. All of my arcades are still running CRT and I would never change them unless it’s a last resort option. This however needs to be reliable and more visible in lighted environment because it’s on location. The weight savings is also a big factor.

#5110 2 years ago

The weight savings is also a big factor.

True! These things are very awkward to move with the head on. And while they tried to make head removal simple, it's still a pain, and a 2-person job.

#5111 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

True! These things are very awkward to move with the head on. And while they tried to make head removal simple, it's still a pain, and a 2-person job.

Breaking down and moving this game was an experience, for sure.

#5112 2 years ago

Has anyone had a random issue with sound distortion while the game is in attract mode? It's weird gremlin I'm trying to track down but so far no luck. The volume gets loud out of nowhere and distorts every once in a while while it's in attract mode. I've changed the audio cable and reseated some connections, but no luck. It doesn't happen at all when playing the game. I'm running version 1.5. Thanks!

#5113 2 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

Has anyone had a random issue with sound distortion while the game is in attract mode? It's weird gremlin I'm trying to track down but so far no luck. The volume gets loud out of nowhere and distorts every once in a while while it's in attract mode. I've changed the audio cable and reseated some connections, but no luck. It doesn't happen at all when playing the game. I'm running version 1.5. Thanks!

Before you continue trouble shooting this

I recommend installing version 2.24 from mypinballs

https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp

#5114 2 years ago
Quoted from KAPSIG1:

Before you continue trouble shooting this
I recommend installing version 2.24 from mypinballs
https://www.mypinballs.com/software/rfm/code_updates.jsp

I really want to do the new code. Never updated a machine before.
Since you have done it:

1) Is it hard... or any pitfalls?

2) Is the new code "friendly" to novice players and advanced players alike? (In other words, will my wife still enjoy i, or will it be too difficult)

3) Does a 6 ball trough make a big improvement (if you have done it)

#5115 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

I really want to do the new code. Never updated a machine before.
Since you have done it:
1) Is it hard... or any pitfalls?
2) Is the new code "friendly" to novice players and advanced players alike? (In other words, will my wife still enjoy i, or will it be too difficult)
3) Does a 6 ball trough make a big improvement (if you have done it)

1) The code was easy to upgrade (I'm on original hardware)

I used a windows 10 laptop with this cable
It was allot cheaper when I bought it and Amazon could have it to my house by 5pm (Cheaper options available)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

I bought his software and use it to upgrade my RFM

Friends use this cable or one like it without Mypinballs update software (Plenty of writeups you can find)

2) I have a 10 and 13 year old. They have friends over all the time and they all enjoy it. I would not worry about a difficulty difference and It can be put on easy modes. The kids really like Drunk Flippers.

3) Yes I've done the 6 ball upgrade. I was not difficult. I did cheat a little
Bought 6 Ball Trough's from pinball life instead of having to add optos to the existing 4 ball trough's (Upgrade optos are provided with the kit)
https://www.pinballlife.com/trough-opto-transmitter-receiver-board-set-6-ball-for-williamsbally-pinball-machines.html

Bonus
I also added the shaker using his loom
That is the most notable change and My wife and kids say it makes the game much better. I agree.

I also added his saucer kit for the extra bling

#5116 2 years ago
Quoted from KAPSIG1:

It was allot cheaper when I bought it and Amazon could have it to my house by 5pm (Cheaper options available)
amazon.com link »
Friends use this cable or one like it without Mypinballs update software (Plenty of writeups you can find)
2) I have a 10 and 13 year old. They have friends over all the time and they all enjoy it. I would not worry about a difficulty difference and It can be put on easy modes. The kids really like Drunk Flippers.
Bought 6 Ball Trough's from pinball life instead of having to add optos to the existing 4 ball trough's (Upgrade optos are provided with the kit)
https://www.pinballlife.com/trough-opto-transmitter-receiver-board-set-6-ball-for-williamsbally-pinball-machines.html
Bonus
That is the most notable change and My wife and kids say it makes the game much better. I agree.

Awesome!
Thank you.... I'm gonna give her a go soon.

6 ball trough... it will wait a few for now.

#5117 2 years ago
Quoted from KAPSIG1:

amazon.com link »
Bonus

Ooh, there’s a cheat code to adding the 6-ball to the game? I might have to do that!

#5118 2 years ago

Pinball 2000 definitely benefits from a proper working CRT. Need the deep blacks to get that great 3D effect.
The original Ducksan monitor in my RFM is still going strong without a rebuild or video amplifier.

035A8DFA-1AE8-4959-94EB-F1D4CA64A029.jpeg035A8DFA-1AE8-4959-94EB-F1D4CA64A029.jpeg817F8047-F4F5-4A01-A8E4-5A1C2045DE25.jpeg817F8047-F4F5-4A01-A8E4-5A1C2045DE25.jpeg

#5119 2 years ago
Quoted from Engel67:

Pinball 2000 definitely benefits from a proper working CRT. Need the deep blacks to get that great 3D effect.
The original Ducksan monitor in my RFM is still going strong without a rebuild or video amplifier.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yours looks great. Mine was very dim and then the fly back was literally welding the frame lol. I’m going to asses the damage and see how bad it is but for now the LCD will do the job

#5120 2 years ago

I totally would love to see an OLED on this game... but I think they have to become more common place and cheaper.

#5121 2 years ago

I think the 6 ball mod is definitely worth buying. I waited myself, but after buying and installing I wondered why I hadn't done that before .

PS: I don't get to getmore than 4 balls on every game, but it's nice when it happens.

#5122 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I totally would love to see an OLED on this game... but I think they have to become more common place and cheaper.

Indeed. The main issue is they only seem to be available in wide-screen form factor. Getting one to fit in the head and have the correct image height and aspect ratio is what's stopping it from happening.

#5123 2 years ago

I've got the cable coming tomorrow to update, so thanks for the help with that. I have another question that maybe someone can help with. What secures the playfield plastics under the ramp on the left side? I thought it would be a screw, but when I took it off it was just a hole without a nut or anything for a screw to tighten into. Is it a plastic spacer or something? I couldn't find it in the manual. Thanks for all the help!

#5124 2 years ago

Well I finally did it - solid Super Bowl Squares win provided the cash. My first purchase with it is the 6-ball MB and loom for the shaker motor!

#5125 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Well I finally did it - solid Super Bowl Squares win provided the cash. My first purchase with it is the 6-ball MB and loom for the shaker motor!

You wont regret it

#5126 2 years ago
Quoted from KAPSIG1:

You wont regret it

Question - what’s the verdict on Video Amplifiers? Looks good without one, but wondering if I should get one anyway. Shows as $23 on Ultimarc, but then checking out it’s $42. So that’s what I’m balking at, is it worth it?

#5127 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Question - what’s the verdict on Video Amplifiers? Looks good without one, but wondering if I should get one anyway. Shows as $23 on Ultimarc, but then checking out it’s $42. So that’s what I’m balking at, is it worth it?

YES and YES. It's the best bang for your buck you can get. You'll wonder how you ever lived without one

#5128 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Yes, it's crazy what the picture is missing without it. It's definitely a requirement.

#5129 2 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Yes, it's crazy what the picture is missing without it. It's definitely a requirement.

Awesome, I’m on it. Thanks guys!

#5130 2 years ago

I’m so incredibly happy with the purchase of my RFM.
Never played an RFM like this. So fast, so precise and the CRT image is outstanding.
So great that today I’m going to buy a The Shadow from the same guy.
This RFM is so mint I feel like I don’t deserve it almost.
But a question, the “total plays” in the menu is it lifetime plays and cannot be erased? Or can it for example be erased by software upgrade?
Also, is v1.5 latest official software? I’ve read about 1.6 but unsure if it’s official or unofficial software.
1C719BA8-A195-49BC-905E-F6608E5BFA95 (resized).jpeg1C719BA8-A195-49BC-905E-F6608E5BFA95 (resized).jpeg

#5131 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Never played an RFM like this. So fast, so precise and the CRT image is outstanding.
But a question, the “total plays” in the menu is it lifetime plays and cannot be erased? Or can it for example be erased by software upgrade?
Also, is v1.5 latest official software? I’ve read about 1.6 but unsure if it’s official or unofficial software.
[quoted image]

Well... I was trying to decide on what colour rubbers to put on... and your pic just decided green is the way to go! Thank you.

#5132 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Well... I was trying to decide on what colour rubbers to put on... and your pic just decided green is the way to go! Thank you.

I’m not in to modifications what so ever.
But these green rubbers the previous owner put in does look really cool.
Maybe the only modification I’ll allow on this game. And the LEDs he also put in because they simply work.

#5133 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I’m not in to modifications what so ever.
But these green rubbers the previous owner put in does look really cool.
Maybe the only modification I’ll allow on this game. And the LEDs he also put in because they simply work.

I did the art blades and they really brighten up the interior cabinet. Also getting applejuice software once I get my laptop issue figured out.

#5134 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

[quoted image]

‘V1.6’ lol , was the last official and no game play changes from v1.5, but there’s plenty changed since then …

#5135 2 years ago

I posted earlier about the LCD swap I did on my Revenge From Mars. Here are a few pics showing some of the details of how we did it.

The original CRT frame also holds the light for the translite but leaving it in place makes it difficult to close up the gaps around the monitor to keep light from bleeding around the edges and down to the playfield. I completely removed the original frame and light with the CRT and built a bezel out of 1/4” plywood and painted it black. I then attached the LCD to the bezel with some machine screws. I still had a tiny gap around the edge but it was easy enough to use electrical tape to close the gap completely. I then laid the monitor into the cabinet and turned the game on to align it and get the position the best I could, however the dimensions aren’t the same as the CRT so it’s not perfect, but close. Once positioned I ran screws through the bezel to hold it to the cabinet.

I used an adapter and splitter to run power to the monitor and new LED backlight from the power supply in the PC box overhead.

The monitor has CGA and VGA input and I found that you can run the VGA connection to the computer and it supports the CGA signal just fine and no converters are needed.

The LCD doesn’t have a true black like a CRT but you can get it looking ok if you dial the brightness back and turn the contrast up a little.

It was pretty straight forward but isn’t a direct fit so hopefully this will help someone else one day.

3474B357-854D-4A93-A8AF-A9B06A4607FD (resized).jpeg3474B357-854D-4A93-A8AF-A9B06A4607FD (resized).jpeg120352E3-15AE-4CD2-9C58-CD6F02504A10 (resized).jpeg120352E3-15AE-4CD2-9C58-CD6F02504A10 (resized).jpeg0244B7EA-546E-41B9-997F-BE0C4EDBACC3 (resized).jpeg0244B7EA-546E-41B9-997F-BE0C4EDBACC3 (resized).jpeg94E16EB8-F9CF-41FB-9113-29AB64B0A51C (resized).jpeg94E16EB8-F9CF-41FB-9113-29AB64B0A51C (resized).jpegA37EF09A-D8FB-40C8-BC1B-7FCDF21A945D (resized).jpegA37EF09A-D8FB-40C8-BC1B-7FCDF21A945D (resized).jpegE0BC68D6-CEF6-4FD5-8254-C31A400351F2 (resized).jpegE0BC68D6-CEF6-4FD5-8254-C31A400351F2 (resized).jpeg
#5136 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

‘V1.6’ lol , was the last official and no game play changes from v1.5, but there’s plenty changed since then …

Ok, thanks. I’ll keep it 1.5 then.
Well that might be true, but nothing that I’m interested in.

#5137 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I'm trying to figure out if you're deliberately "lost" or just being obtuse.
applejuice has graciously provided improved code for the RFM pinball machine - for free @ https://www.mypinballs.com/ ...

The modified code wither unofficial or not is worth the installation. If you aren't putting it on your game for some reason; then well... that's your choice. Code improvement are better than any mod you may or may not put on this game.

#5138 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm trying to figure out if you're deliberately "lost" or just being obtuse.
applejuice has graciously provided improved code for the RFM pinball machine - for free @ https://www.mypinballs.com/ ...
The modified code wither unofficial or not is worth the installation. If you aren't putting it on your game for some reason; then well... that's your choice. Code improvement are better than any mod you may or may not put on this game.

I simply don’t want to modify any of my machines at all.
They should be as they left the factory. Preferably with incandescent bulbs as well.
Just how I want my games to be. My games, my choice.
As I said, it’s probably good but it’s not for me.

What’s there to argue about? I asked a question about latest official software and received an answer.
Don’t know why you jump out of your chair like that.

#5139 2 years ago

Jump out of the chair?
Humm, ok.
As I stated, your choice... But it's a werid one.

#5140 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:I simply don’t want to modify any of my machines at all.
They should be as they left the factory. Preferably with incandescent bulbs as well.
Just how I want my games to be.

Total plays cannot be erased unless you take the prism battery out and why would you want to, as it shows the real history of the game

Led use will cause erroneous error messages unless you run my updates where I added an option to ignore led errors.

#5141 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Total plays cannot be erased unless you take the prism battery out and why would you want to, as it shows the real history of the game
Led use will cause erroneous error messages unless you run my updates where I added an option to ignore led errors.

Thank you for your answer.
Mine just rolled over 3000 plays then.
Prism battery, is that something I should change? I’m planning on doing a full capacitor swap on the game as well. I don’t know when it was last done so better be safe than sorry.

No errors due to LED on mine. All isn’t LED tho and it looks decent enough that I have no issues with it. Unlike my Shadow which has questionable LED colors…….

#5142 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I’m planning on doing a full capacitor swap on the game as well.

Better to leave it all original. No modifications to the factory capacitors.

#5143 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Ok, thanks. I’ll keep it 1.5 then.

You should absolutely upgrade to the Applejuice code. Lots to it and certainly worth it.

BTW, the blue LED's look awesome.

#5144 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Better to leave it all original. No modifications to the factory capacitors.

Exactly what I thought. 30+ years of repairs knowledge here and I only fix what’s broken. Changing all capacitors for the sake of it will more than likely just cause issues, but leave him to it. Seen it hundreds of times where people change things there’s no need to, then break it. Just my 2p

#5145 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Exactly what I thought. 30+ years of repairs knowledge here and I only fix what’s broken. Changing all capacitors for the sake of it will more than likely just cause issues, but leave him to it. Seen it hundreds of times where people change things there’s no need to, then break it. Just my 2p

Hey applejuice

Sent you a pm

#5146 2 years ago

Anyone ever get this error when trying to open pinball 2000 updater? It's happened on 2 separate computers now.

16457383434935774010297247669573 (resized).jpg16457383434935774010297247669573 (resized).jpg
#5147 2 years ago

Not in the club yet, but looking for advice.
Saw a machine looks decent its on code 1.2 I think it never been update what's the price range for the machine ?
The guy offer me trade for 2 pins police force agents 777 and 2 arcade to trade for that machine
Any opinions please?

#5148 2 years ago
Quoted from Premier:

Not in the club yet, but looking for advice.
Saw a machine looks decent its on code 1.2 I think it never been update what's the price range for the machine ?
The guy offer me trade for 2 pins police force agents 777 and 2 arcade to trade for that machine
Any opinions please?

That seems like a trade that heavily favors the owner of the RFM. Not sure what Agent 777 is. Which arcade games? I'd say this game is going for $4K to $4500, presently, based on a few recent sales. Mine was on 1.0 when I got it. Guy was the original owner and never updated.

#5149 2 years ago

Agents 777 its pinball machine made by game plan

#5150 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Looking forward to doing the update software, ball trough, shaker, and knocker!! Purchase in progress!! Norton security is not happy running your software!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 6,719 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/103?hl=vipertim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.